PDA

View Full Version : Rku's memories? (spoilers)

Fynn
12-01-2009, 11:31 AM
CoM and 358/2 spoilers ahead. You have been warned.

So when Sora was at Castle Oblivion, he lost some of his most important memories and those memories sipped into Xion, correct? That is why she looks like Kairi - because she's Sora's most important memory. When he lost his memories, everyone connected to him forgot about him. Thanks to that, the Xion plan could work at all, since she was supposed to prevent Sora from awekening and take over his role as the Keyblade master. How then is it possible tha Riku remembered everything about Sora? Is it because he was at Castle Oblivion at the time? Even if that's the case, how does that make sense? Did I forget something improtant from CoM or is this an inconsistency?

jammi567
12-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I thought it was so that Sora could recognise the Riku Replica as being the "real" Riku, so that Sora would have a continued excuse to keep going up the Castle.

Ouch!
12-01-2009, 08:30 PM
In Kingdom Hearts 2, DiZ asks Riku if he's remembering now, and Riku replies that "The haze is lifting." I think it would imply that while perhaps Riku did not forget who Sora was, he was beginning to forget certain things. I imagine his presence may have been part of that, but I also imagine that the fact that Sora's memories of Riku were never significantly tampered with might explain why Riku seems to remember Sora with some clarity.

Fynn
12-01-2009, 09:25 PM
In Kingdom Hearts 2, DiZ asks Riku if he's remembering now, and Riku replies that "The haze is lifting." I think it would imply that while perhaps Riku did not forget who Sora was, he was beginning to forget certain things. I imagine his presence may have been part of that, but I also imagine that the fact that Sora's memories of Riku were never significantly tampered with might explain why Riku seems to remember Sora with some clarity.

Well, Sora's memories of Selphie, Wakka and Tidus (not to mention Leon & co.) weren't tampered with so much either, and yet they forgot, so I don't think that's the case. Kairi was actually the only one from the islands to remember ANYTHING about Sora - she wouldn't go back to their island until she remembered everything about "that other boy", remember?

NeoCracker
12-02-2009, 01:09 AM
I think it has to do with Riku being a special case. He was constantly envoloped in Darkness as a means of survival. Perhaps this had some effect on the memory tampering?

Ouch!
12-02-2009, 04:14 AM
Fair points, Fynn. I'd have to guess then that Sora's relationships with Riku and Kairi are stronger than his with others. Therefore, it's possible that it's more difficult to completely undo their memories of one another.

Fynn
12-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Both your points seem on track, but there's still something missing... Reverse/Rebirth and Days show that Riku is unaffected in anyway to Sora's memory loss... Perhaps it is the darkness. It would be interesting to see Xemnas' plan come to fruition and Riku being the only one knowing Xion isn't really Sora.

Ouch!
12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Except that in Kingdom Hearts 2 Riku does say that he was beginning to forget. He was apparently beginning to lose some of his memories of Sora, at the very least. Beyond that, given that DiZ and Sora never met before Sora was put into stasis by Namine it would stand to reason that manipulating Sora's memories would have no adverse affect on DiZ (since I imagine to establish chains of memories with another individual's heart, you'd have to at the very least meet the person to establish a mutual connection). Given that Riku is working for DiZ for a large portion of Days and the beginning of KH2, it's likely that as Riku is beginning to forget information, he has DiZ filling him in on the more important parts.

Fynn
12-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Up till now this seems to make the most sense. If Kairi had a DiZ beside her she'd remember as well.

Ouch!
12-02-2009, 09:45 PM
I figure if I throw enough explanations out there, one of them will make sense! :D