PDA

View Full Version : Age of Empires

Del Murder
12-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Anyone play the Age of Empires games? Miriel just got me hooked on it. We play AOE II: Age of Kings, which she says is the best one. We also have Age of Mythology which is pretty cool too. AOE II is cheap as hell, 10 bucks at Target gets you AOE I & II with all the expansions.

To play online we use a program called GameRanger. It's free to download. My username is Tmoney and hers is Miriel.

Come play with us! Or just discuss the awesomeness of Age of Empires.

Raistlin
12-02-2009, 06:35 AM
I played it a fair amount in middle and high school. My roommates got me back into it last year and we had some fairly epic apartment-wide games. I was fairly competent with the British and the Turks.

I think my (totally not legal) copy is AoE III, though. I'll see if I can find my old AoE II disk after exams.

Miriel
12-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I was addicted to the game in Middle School. Haven't played for like a decade and only just started playing it again when I found out that Del Murder has never played it. He's never played Chip's Challenge either! Man oh man.

Anyway, if anyone needs AoE II, PM me and I'll set you up.

I want to try AoE III (it has trains!) but it's been a bit hard to track down.

Let's have epic battles, yes?

eestlinc
12-02-2009, 07:31 AM
i used to play the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of age of empires and rise of rome. msn gaming zone! good times. AoE 2 was also solid. Age of Mythology wasn't as much fun, though, or maybe I was just moving on the Diablo II by then.

Rocket Edge
12-02-2009, 12:06 PM
AOE, Warzone 2100, Dungeon Keeper I & II, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, & Caeser 3 were all I used to play as a young lad. I still have AOE II: The Conquerors expansion but I need the actual game to download it onto (lost it some time ago). But when I do get it I'd be up for some online gaming.

demondude
12-02-2009, 12:14 PM
If anybody uses GameRanger with no patch (1.0) on AOE2 + expansion then play me please. :D

Kossage
12-02-2009, 01:26 PM
My friends and I used to play Age of Empires and Rise of Rome a lot. I recently played through AoE and RoR again, and I enjoyed the experience and nostalgia. The setting, the gameplay, the music, the scenarios, the wonderful manual with lots of historical info... what was there not to like? :D

I never played through AoE2 and Conquerors and only skimmed through some missions, though, but I'll devote my attention to their campaigns when I have more time to spare. :p

I've yet to play Age of Mythology and AoE3. Perhaps one day...

Old Manus
12-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Oh my God AoE2 makes me climax. I still have it installed. Play!

demondude
12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
If anyone wants to play on gameranger I'm demondude55, search for me now! :D

Shattered Dreamer
12-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm a huge AOE fan I'll have to look you guys up on gameranger:D

McLovin'
12-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Age of Kings is awesome. I loved creating/playing scenario's that other people made.

Loony BoB
12-02-2009, 05:15 PM
I adored the original because I dislike it once they start bringing guns into the mix, personally. But having said that, AoEII was still neat enough. I just wish they'd release an improved version of the original game, though. Fun times. Same with Warcraft II - they need to release a new RTS version of Warcraft. It was the best RTS out there and they abandoned it after III! I don't even understand why.

Dignified Pauper
12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Rise of Nations is SOOOO much better.

It is the exact same engine as Rise of Empires II, battle wise, but so much cooler.

Although Age of Mythology is pretty damn amazing too...

Lazer Beam Polar Bears anyone?

demondude
12-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I didn't like RoN, it just turns into a game of who can fire the most nukes without causing Armageddon.

Bolivar
12-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Only played a little of AoE, loved AoEII to death, one of my favorite RTS games of all time, definitely in the triumvirate of the golden age of RTS to me along with C&C: Red Alert 2 and Starcraft.

Miriel
12-02-2009, 07:29 PM
How many people can join a single game, anyone know?

Del Murder and I will probably be playing in like... 8 hours. If you're around, go into Gameranger and look for us!

demondude
12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Eight people a game.

Namelessfengir
12-02-2009, 07:40 PM
i played aoe aom and starcraft through most of highschool. but ive moved to fps's (halo cod splinter cell rainbow six gta) id get aoe 3 but the three game kit runs 50$ and most of the time i devoted to games i devote to internet. if i can get good internet id jump into mmo's not fucking wow though too damn huge. tor maybe aion something out of the way and not :bou::bou::bou::bou:

Madame Adequate
12-02-2009, 08:56 PM
My username is Tmoney

there are things paul has not told us...

Anyway yeah AoE is a goddamn genius game and Miriel is right about which is the best. I probably only like Red Alert 2 more. AoE3 sucks imho.

Meat Puppet
12-02-2009, 09:01 PM
AoE 2 is awesome. I used to play it with my friends for days straight. I went out and bought like, the full pack with AoE and AoE 2 and all their expansions a long time ago, however... it won’t run on my computer. Some ridiculous crap about DirectDraw that I can’t fix. I’ve asked a lot of people and they just get this worried look on their faces and try to get as far away from me as possible.

McLovin'
12-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I adored the original because I dislike it once they start bringing guns into the mix, personally. But having said that, AoEII was still neat enough. I just wish they'd release an improved version of the original game, though. Fun times. Same with Warcraft II - they need to release a new RTS version of Warcraft. It was the best RTS out there and they abandoned it after III! I don't even understand why.

"Within the freshest Starcraft 2 panel from BlizzCon 2008 Blizzard proclaims, that Starcraft 2 will be expanded into a trilogy. Furthermore Blizzard verifies, that Warcraft 4 will be released with the same trilogy-type principle."
~Blizzcon

Sir Lancealot
12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm glad I was able to find my copy of AoE2 last week.

~*~Celes~*~
12-02-2009, 11:15 PM
I LOVE AoE II but I'm not that great at it yet.

Maybe after some practice! Or I'll just play anyway :p

Sir Lancealot
12-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Come play with us anyway. It'll be fun.

~*~Celes~*~
12-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Well, I've been trying to install it for the past hour but it keeps getting stuck on 89% because it's having trouble installing a specific file.

Guess I'll have to go out and buy the $10 box set at Wal-Mart before I can play :cry:

Del Murder
12-03-2009, 02:35 AM
You guys should post your gameranger names so I can look you up. We're going to play in about an hour.

Tavrobel
12-03-2009, 02:41 AM
I haven't played AoE, AoK, AoM, or AoE III in a long time.

I think it would frighten everyone if I did.

Sir Lancealot
12-03-2009, 02:57 AM
My user name is Sir Lancealot.

Miriel
12-03-2009, 04:10 AM
We're playing right now! If you're around and you have the game, come join us.

darkchrono
12-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Age of Empires was a great game for its time. Gamers now would probably look at it and think it to be a bit shallow. But back around '96 or '97 (whenever it was released) the idea of being able to build your own kingdom and go to war against other kingdoms who were attempting to do the same thing you were was just awesome. And the fact that you could play it online against other real life people made it all that much better.

Today most of the things that AOE had is pretty standard in most games across the board. But back then AOE was one of the first of its kind.

Was it the first RTS game where you could build an empire and conquer the world (or the map) and do it all online as well?

Namelessfengir
12-03-2009, 04:30 AM
i think that star craft was earlier because i saw my cousins playing that long before i ever played aoe

Miriel
12-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Sir Lancelot chased down my King and he was slaughtered. Didn't even allow him a dignified death. ;_;

Del Murder
12-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Del Murder - 1
Miriel, Sir Lancealot - 0

Sir Lancealot
12-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Only because we didn't know about those islands. Still good game.

demondude
12-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Dude ... I wish I had time to play. ;_; Fucking timezones!

Del Murder
12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Only because we didn't know about those islands. Still good game.
Yeah my secret gold island was the key to victory. Miriel had one too but she didn't even notice it!

Old Manus
12-03-2009, 06:38 PM
You guys need to not play at 2am. The games between Lost Number and I a few years ago were the stuff of (cheating bastard) legend and I want to feel that high once more :cry:

Miriel
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Boo, let's coordinate this better! If we play on the weekends, we can probably play at a time that's better for other timezones.

demondude
12-03-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm up for that, but what patch do you guys play on?

Rase
12-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Been playing those games since the beginning, and love each one for it's time. Of course going back can be rough (damn the Computer abuses Priests in AoEI!), but some friends and I play AoEIII quite regularly. While going back to II can be fun (Brits and Byzs), I really prefer the cards and deck aspect of III, along with the simplification of resources and gathering. Mythologies was also a great diversion, and the minor gods were obviously a template for the customization aspects in III.

Old Manus
12-03-2009, 08:12 PM
I only have AoK with me at the moment, the Conquerors is in a far away land.

Del Murder
12-04-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm up for that, but what patch do you guys play on?
We play on a cracked version so that you don't have to use the CD. It wouldn't work at first when Lancealot tried to play with us, but I sent him my .exe file in an email and that fixed it right up. If anyone wants to play with us I'll be happy to send my .exe file.

Also, Manus, we play AoK not TC so you can play with us!

Miriel
12-04-2009, 12:49 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/EoFF/aoe.gif

Del Murder
12-06-2009, 04:51 AM
Starting another game soon if anyone wants to join. Contact me on Gameranger!

Sir Lancealot
12-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Bugger, I've got church.

~*~Celes~*~
12-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I got the pack for Christmas! I can play now, if you guys are still playing?

btw, for GameRanger: Kari

Sir Lancealot
12-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I do.

Ultima Shadow
12-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Damn, this brings back memories. Yes, the Age of Empires series is awesome. My personal is still the first one, for personal and nostalgic reasons mainly I'd suppose. Ah, how loved the Centurions. They were almost broken in close combat. Could even beat elephants, if I remember correctly.

AOE2 was/is cool too though, and I'd love to play some once I...

1: find and install the game again.

2: Actually have the time. AOE matches can take quite a while, unless you manage to rush your opponent early on somehow.

Del Murder
01-01-2010, 07:28 AM
I'll look you up Celes when Miriel and I play again. Let's have a 4 person game so we can have alliances and stuff.

Faris
01-03-2010, 02:01 AM
I've been playing this on and off since I was 12 (I think, around then at least). I just started playing AoE III again and yeah, it's not as awesome as AoE II or Age of Mythology but it's not terrible either. :p I should try the campaigns again sometime and I haven't quite figured everything else out either.

It amazes me, now that I think about it, that it was on school computers.

leapyear29
01-07-2010, 09:34 AM
The company who made the Age of Empires Series has actually closed down, unfortunate i know.. (ensemble studios)

demondude
04-09-2010, 07:53 PM
No point making a new thread for the same topic really. Anybody still interested in playing a game? I mostly do cba but I can do RM as well. I play on Gameranger.

Sir Lancealot
04-12-2010, 02:19 AM
Yes.

Old Manus
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Ydw

kotora
04-12-2010, 11:27 PM
I used to play it a lot, then I found out how much it sucked strategy-wise and how there's no balance between the civilizations at all. So now my favourite oldschool RTS is Starcraft.