PDA

View Full Version : Eyes on the Lack of Feminine Features

Fynn
12-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Is it just me, or do the male members of the main party (besides Hope, but he's, what, 14?) seem more masculine than the ones before? Where have all the effeminite Clouds, Squalls and Vaans go? We get the stubbly bigman Snow and goateed Sazh. I think it's good we don't get as much androgynous bishounen as we used to. Seems more realistic. What are your thoughts on this?

BTW, Noctis is the new Cloud. Guess if one game doesn't have an effeminite male protagonist, the other has to :roll2

Dignified Pauper
12-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Are you serious? Almost all the characters in this game look feminine other than Snow and the guy with the afro (read: black guy)

Formalhaut
12-02-2009, 06:31 PM
They Do Look More Masculine Up To A Point. Thier Half-way which Is Fine By Me.

Fynn
12-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Are you serious? Almost all the characters in this game look feminine other than Snow and the guy with the afro (read: black guy)

Who, exactly? I know about Cid and Hope, and Hope's still just a kid. The PSICOM guy doesn't look feminie at all, neither does the pope-like old guy, nor Hope's dad, or Gadot. So who else looks feminine?

Formalhaut
12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Agreed. You Need To Strike A Balance, Too Feminine And People Will Complain, To Masculine People Will Complain. FFXIII Got It Right I Think.

Fynn
12-02-2009, 07:06 PM
They look quite normal, for an FF. This amazes me.

Rodney
12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah, their masculinity looks almost . . . realistic. None of that androgynous B.S. the designers have sprung on us in the past. It's very refreshing.

Rad Bromance
12-03-2009, 03:55 AM
I wouldn't call snow the pinnacle of manliness or anything, but he's definitely not effeminate like past FF guys. Sazh isn't effeminate at all, which is cool (but neither was Barrett).

What actually surprises me more though, is how un-feminine most of the women in this game are appearing to be. Fang and Lightning aren't at all girly girls...I like them thus far. :)

Fynn
12-03-2009, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't call snow the pinnacle of manliness or anything, but he's definitely not effeminate like past FF guys. Sazh isn't effeminate at all, which is cool (but neither was Barrett).

What actually surprises me more though, is how un-feminine most of the women in this game are appearing to be. Fang and Lightning aren't at all girly girls...I like them thus far. :)

Oh, Lightning and Fang are very feminine. They're just very strong and confident. I guess you probably meant that they weren't girly. Well, yeah, Vanille is probably the only girly girl in the main cast. But I would never call Lightning or Fang (Especially Fang) unfeminine.

crazybayman
12-03-2009, 01:22 PM
More masculine than before = good.

Its hard to identify with a sissy-boy like Vaan.

We need more Aurons, Wakkas, Barretts and Baschs.

Craig
12-03-2009, 05:01 PM
ok so hold on. the men in this game look manly. the kid in it looks young. and the women look feminine.

wheres the problem?

JKTrix
12-03-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't think he's complaining, rather celebrating.

Fynn
12-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Of course I'm celebrating! THis means the characters are becoming more realistic and less idealized. They're still beautiful, but at least men look like men, women look like women, and kids look like kids. It just amazes me that Nomura could finally reach such conclusions!

Vermachtnis
12-03-2009, 06:53 PM

Oh, Lightning and Fang are very feminine. They're just very strong and confident. I guess you probably meant that they weren't girly. Well, yeah, Vanille is probably the only girly girl in the main cast. But I would never call Lightning or Fang (Especially Fang) unfeminine.

I'm all for that. Girly-girls annoy me. I likes me the strong ones.

Depression Moon
12-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I took a look at that new girl that uses a spear in the game and if I had saw that pic before the trailer I think I might have mistook her for a guy. She looks just a bit manly.

Barraza
12-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Stubble doesn't make Snow manly. He's still pretty beautiful for a man. At least the hairstyles in this one are still over-the-top and ridiculous.

And Versus XIII is filled with effeminate men, as you pointed out. At least they are wearing real-world clothing.

Fynn
12-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Stubble doesn't make Snow manly. He's still pretty beautiful for a man. At least the hairstyles in this one are still over-the-top and ridiculous.

And Versus XIII is filled with effeminate men, as you pointed out. At least they are wearing real-world clothing.

Maybe he's got a beautiful face, but it's still a square-jawed one. Even if you removed the stubble, I would never confuse him with a woman.

Craig
12-03-2009, 10:40 PM
sorry if my earlier post came off as rude, was in a very bad mood. my bad.

Jessweeee♪
12-03-2009, 11:52 PM
So you have to be ugly to be a man :confused:

Rad Bromance
12-04-2009, 01:53 AM
So you have to be ugly to be a man :confused:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :)

Fynn
12-04-2009, 07:55 AM
In my country, we refer to women as "the beautiful sex", so...

Levian
12-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I didn't find Squall or Cloud so feminine in the games. It's mostly the artwork that portrays them more feminine than they appear in the game. Tidus and Vaan however...

Fynn
12-04-2009, 11:58 AM
I didn't find Squall or Cloud so feminine in the games. It's mostly the artwork that portrays them more feminine than they appear in the game.

And the compilation. http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/8/8f/Cloud-advent-children.png

Levian
12-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Hah, I suppose you have a point. :D I was aiming towards the original games though.

Fynn
12-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Hah, I suppose you have a point. :D I was aiming towards the original games though.

I know, I know. But what the Compilation has done to Cloud is just plain creepy. And Sephiroth is even worse!

Rodney
12-04-2009, 06:01 PM

So . . . Vanille's going to annoy you, then?

Vermachtnis
12-04-2009, 06:27 PM

Nah she looks like she can hold her own in battle. As long as she isn't weak in story or gets kidnapped or something she'll probably be in my team.

Rodney
12-05-2009, 03:51 AM

Nah she looks like she can hold her own in battle. As long as she isn't weak in story or gets kidnapped or something she'll probably be in my team.

She and Sazh do get captured by Jihl at one point, if that counts. . . .

Plus, the trailer, if you've seen it, suggests she might be pretty weak in the story.

Psychotic
12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Gadot seems pretty masculine too. Although god knows what is going on with Yaag. He sure as heck wouldn't look out of place in Organization XIII!

Barraza
12-11-2009, 06:33 PM
So you have to be ugly to be a man :confused:Most men are attractive in a way that wouldn't recall feminine beauty. Those that are too effeminate come off looking a little off.

Snow is indeed square-jawed, which helps, but he comes off looking like a supermodel, the kind that in ads are supposed to look masculine. So he's not quite Cloud-level girly, but he looks like "forced masculine"; i.e. he's naturally very pretty but is trying to look more like a dude. It's possible, in the real world anyway, to be attractive and not "beautiful" like a woman.

http://1416andcounting.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/george-clooney.jpg

But hey, maybe you're into more effeminate beauty in men.

http://thinkiris.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/gackt.jpg

Goldenboko
12-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Release of FFXII:

Vaan is a woman! I hate this game! Anger! Hate!

Release of FFXIII:
Everyone is too masculine, I hate this game! Anger! Hate!

:)

Laddy
12-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Cloud=Joan Jett
Squall=Winona Ryder
Zidane=Hanson
Tidus=Meg Ryan
Vaan=HOLY FUCK
Snow=Nice...

Beauty is nice but it's great to have a change in pace!

nirojan
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
i heard this said before, but mabey its because Snow has traces of facial hair that people take him as more "manly". Onetime i grew my bangs out and did a "Zack Fair" look with my hair. Alot of people told me i look feminine. But in a few days when my facial hair started to come out they said it looked cool and kinda suited me....long story short ONLY USE FF HAIRSTYLES IN COSPLAY, NOT REAL LIFE!!