PDA

View Full Version : FF Connection Theories

Forsaken Lover
12-03-2009, 07:10 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/128378-favorite-villain-other-than-kuja.html

This thread brought up the whole "they share the same world" idea. I didn't know some people still had it.

So for purpose of this topic, just say which FFs you think are connected and why. Don't worry about official crap because honestly, official crap says FFVII and X are in the same universe. So nohing we come up with can be any crazier.

qwertysaur
12-03-2009, 07:18 AM
FFIV: TAY connects I-VI, as does Tactics and I-VII

Ivalice connects Tactics to XII

The official thingy connects VII and X. IX has 5 billion references to the other games.

So all the main series except VIII and XI are already connected to each other. I have no idea about XI, but VIII is a singularity and I'm a mathematician so I remove it and everything works out. Q.E.D. :choc:

Forsaken Lover
12-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Could you explain how The After Years or Tactics make those connections?

Christmas
12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Every game had a Inn or hotel and NPCs that sell stuffs. Ya, that gotto be the biggest connections. :bigsmile:

MJN SEIFER
12-03-2009, 11:33 PM
I beleive that AT LEAST VII and VIII share the same world albeit centuries apart giving time for places to over lap. I am meaning to post a more detailed thread about this.

Also, although Square never said they shared a world - theny never said they didn't.

Slothy
12-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Maybe it's because I've been straying into the VIII forum more and more lately, but I get the sense that some people are poking fun at Serapy in this thread.

Depression Moon
12-04-2009, 01:29 AM
I don't see any of the games sharing the same world personally. X and VII's world seem nothing alike and i don't understand how they could be for one Spira is a lot smaller than VII's world. Planets get smaller over time not bigger. 2nd those two games have different involvements for death. Lifestream for VII, Farplane for X. There are no pyreflies in VII nor is there a lifestream in X. 3rd there are different races in both games. There are no Al Bhed in VII, no Guado, Hypellos, duck people, or Ronso. There is no whatever Red XIII is in X either.

In our world names of countries change over time becuase of war and other reasons, but we still have a few countries whose names haven't changed for hundreds of years. VII doesn't have not one location named after X's world.

I can do similar comparisons for VII and VIII too since there is a similar issue.

The only ones that I can possibly see being the same would be any of the Gaia ones, but if they were all connected I couldn't see how the story could flow right in Dissidia. It's basically about a demon who has summoned a group of the best evil fighters from around the universe to do something evil and a goddess counters him by gathering a group of good fighters from around the universe to stop them from whatever they're trying to do.

jammi567
12-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I think that you misunderstand the connection between VII and X - they're not on the same planet, but in the same universe. So they can have different theories about death and all that, but still be connected.

qwertysaur
12-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Could you explain how The After Years or Tactics make those connections?
In the after years you fight bosses from each of the first 6 FF games as part of the final dungeon.

Tactics connects to VII with Cloud, and I - VI with the treasures and Ancient Ruins you can find through the discovery races.

Bolivar
12-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Garland in IX is the same Garland as FFI, he was just trying to complete what he started... somehow.

Squall is a descendant of Leon and bears his full name as a surname.

Yunalesca is the Cloud of Darkness.

Most stories mention "(x) thousand years ago another incident happened", those incidents are the other FF games where warriors defeated great threats to the planet.

The "ancient weapon" that the empire uses in FFII, a fortress concealed by a tornado, is quite obviously The Bahamut from FFXII.

King Bahamut in FFIV is the same from FFI - the dragons just became even more isolated to the point where they had to leave Earth. Also, Vayne is Bahamut.

The Lunar Cry - monsters coming from the moon in FFVIII is somehow connected to the moon's special stuff in FFIV.

FFVII may be an origin story of how the crystals came into being - they were just high concentrations of the life energy of the planet, crystalized into Huge versions of Materia. The four huge materia in Bugenhagen's observatory are pretty obviously the 4 Crystals. As in traditional 4-crystal-games (FFI, III, V), destroying them negatively effects the planet's life force, or its manifestations such as wind, earth, sea. As such, the huge materia in FFVII also represent this - Junon's Underwater Reactor is sea, Corel's is Earth, Nibelheim's is Fire (they burn down the town afterall) and Fort Condor's is Wind. It's pretty simple really.

So looking at that in the odd-numbered games, and looking at FFIX's story of two planet's trying to merge together, my theory is that the odd-numbered games take place on Terra, and the even numbered games on Gaia, or vice-versa. While FFIV and FFVIII also have crystals, they number not 4 (there are 16 and 1, respectively), and not related to the elements, so they still stay in the non-crystal world. Some games don't fit nicely into that picture, and I would say that's the games that take place during/after the assimilation of the two.

To support this, Garland used the idea of Black Mages from the memories of the crystal of Terra, and Black Mages with that appearance and purpose appear in all the odd numbered games: I, III, V, and even VII - Cloud has blonde-spikey-hair instead of a yellow-pointy-hat and a blue outfit, he starts off with beginner's offensive spells of Ice and Lightning, and has the strongest Magic statistic in the game outside of Aeris. Cloud is a Black Mage who was genetically altered through the SOLDIER process with Jenova cells - hence his sword proficiency and high strength.

Of course this is all BS - the developers have stated FFIV and FFIX to be tribute games with embodiments of and references to its predecessors, and every other game has paid homage to a lesser degree as well. But who knows, maybe one day Sakaguchi or Hiromichi Tanaka and Koichi Ishii (the real creators of the idea of Final Fantasy) will come out and say it's a loosely connected saga after all.

Chocobo Eater
12-07-2009, 11:47 PM
In FFV you encounter Gogo when you get the Mime crystal. After you finish the battle with him, he vanishes into the N-zone. In FFVI, you must enter the X-zone and walk through a small cave to find him. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Goldenboko
12-09-2009, 10:49 PM
So all the main series except VIII and XI are already connected to each other. I have no idea about XI, but VIII is a singularity and I'm a mathematician so I remove it and everything works out. Q.E.D. :choc:

Factor it out qwerty!

black orb
12-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Of course this is all BS.
>>> Dont kill the magic :(, I want to believe!.. :luca:

Wolf Kanno
12-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Then hold onto the fact that the Ivalice games are pretty much all connected (though where TA stands in all this has not been properly figured out and may fall into simple "Homage") as well as VII and X.

You have your few connections ;)

black orb
12-10-2009, 09:05 PM
>>> Playing the games and creating lots of BS theories, it is certainly our job as FF fans. :luca: