PDA

View Full Version : Enya. Yes, Enya.

Bastian
12-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Just released a best of album. And while some may say, "Oh . . . I thought you only release a best of album if you've actually had hits" you might be surprised to know that she's sold more than 77 million albums and was the best selling female in 2001.

Am I alone in my love for Enya here at EoFF?

I am poised for ridicule.

Rad Bromance
12-04-2009, 02:30 AM
I actually really liked that song Cocoro Flow (sp? You know, the sail away sail away sail away one), and the one she did for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack, which, I believe was called "May It Be".

Aside of that though, the only song I can recall hearing by her is "Only Time" which I really didn't like.

krissy
12-04-2009, 02:45 AM
sail away sail away sail away
sail away sail away sail away

awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Shiny
12-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Only Time, Adiemus and the song she does for Braveheart are my favs.

Bastian
12-04-2009, 04:45 AM
Oh, Shinny. :P That's every Enya fan's favorite thing to hear. :P Only one of those are Enya songs. :P

Orinoco Flow was the first song I heard by her. On a commercial. And I was like "wow, that song is so unique. Too bad it's just a commercial." haha.

guffman
12-04-2009, 06:25 AM
dude... don't let it get around... but i love Enya. I blame me freakin' mother. but like... it's so epic! i don't even care what she's saying, i just picture awesome rolling hills and mountains, and just epic journeys. you know!?

damn you for making this thread...

Big D
12-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Only Time, Adiemus and the song she does for Braveheart are my favs.Enya didn't write Adiemus. She might've covered it at some stage - and even that's doubtful - but the singer who performs the lead vocals in the original Adiemus is Miriam Stockley.

Nothing against Enya, of course; I adore her songs. But Karl Jenkins' Adiemus from Adiemus: Songs of Sanctuary get mis-attributed so often, I feel kind of compelled to set the record straight.

Breine
12-04-2009, 09:52 AM
I once had a Enya CD, but I lost it. I can't even remember what it's called.

Anyway, I used to kinda like her years ago, but I lost interest in her since then. She does have a nice voice, though.

Levian
12-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Caribbean Blue is very peaceful and nice to listen to at the beach

Moon Rabbits
12-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Caribbean Blue is my favorite Enya song. I don't know a lot of her stuff but every once and awhile I feel like listening to her so I just go to youtube and look up random songs. I have to be in the "Enya mood" to listen to her though.

~*~Celes~*~
12-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Her music is beautiful.

Shiny
12-05-2009, 04:46 AM
Oh, Shinny. :P That's every Enya fan's favorite thing to hear. :P Only one of those are Enya songs. :P

All of them are Enya songs to my knowledge. Blame YouTubesss for Adiemus. I know the Braveheart song (not the one you may thinking of) was definitely done by Enya. I can't think of the name at the moment unfortunately.

BG-57
12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Her music relaxing without being insipid. Incidently I have some of her more obscure albums, including the ST to the Frog Prince, which has her doing vocals to smooth jazz music and it works suprisingly well.

Another one is a spoken interview in a diner (the clanking silverware is annoyingly audible in the background). The most interesting revelation is she can't listen to music recreationally because she has a trained musician's way of dissecting music she hears.

It's hard to single out a single song or album, but Bodicea, Orinoco Flow, Carribean Blue, Only Time, and Anywhere Is stand out as memorably wonderful in my book.

scrumpleberry
12-07-2009, 11:20 PM
I like her songs but honestly I feel like they're all saying exactly the same thing x) I'm not very familiar with her but she makes very pleasant background noise.

BG-57
12-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Do you mean stylistically or thematically?

Bastian
12-10-2009, 01:43 AM

All of them are Enya songs to my knowledge. Blame YouTubesss for Adiemus. I know the Braveheart song (not the one you may thinking of) was definitely done by Enya. I can't think of the name at the moment unfortunately.

Oh! I thought you were joking! No, there are no Enya songs on the Braveheart soundtrack. But that song does get misattributed to her constantly, along with "Adiemus."

BG-57: Impressive! I have those as well. And the original cassette tape of her first recording "The Solar Wind" (I forget the Gaelic at the moment).

Moon Rabbits: "Caribbean Blue" is my second favorite Enya song. My first favorite is one of her newest, which is potentially blasphemous. Its title is stupid ("My! My! Time Flies") but it's actually an extremely atypical Enya song (it has guitars! and sounds Beatles-esque!)
Here's a cute unofficial "music video" with fun flash animation someone did:

YouTube - Enya: My! My! Time Flies! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P57aSW47rY8)

BG-57
12-10-2009, 10:48 PM
An Ghaoth Ón Ghrian. How does it sound?

Bastian
12-19-2009, 04:20 AM
An Ghaoth Ón Ghrian. How does it sound?
It sounds . . . sublime. Albeit . . . VERY amateurish in production. You've never heard the song? I think it's hiding on Enya's site in the "music room" in the interactive castle.

The first time I heard a snippet of it (before I had my own copy) I thought for sure it was fake . . . it didn't sound very Enya at all. The piano part was MUCH more intricate than she has done since. A very different style. And the synth part, while amazing, didn't seem very Enyaesque either . . . more like something from another band called Nightnoise.

Anyway, I'm glad to see I'm not the only Enya fan on here. :P

Now I can admit that I'm a recording artist who records music so much like her it's practically plagiarism. :P Kidding! I don't want any lawsuits filed. :P

BG-57
12-19-2009, 02:26 PM
I'll have to check out her site then.

She's one of the rare artist who I have have enjoyed every album released (the other being Vangelis).

Shiny
12-20-2009, 12:44 AM

Oh! I thought you were joking! No, there are no Enya songs on the Braveheart soundtrack. But that song does get misattributed to her constantly, along with "Adiemus."

BG-57: Impressive! I have those as well. And the original cassette tape of her first recording "The Solar Wind" (I forget the Gaelic at the moment).

Moon Rabbits: "Caribbean Blue" is my second favorite Enya song. My first favorite is one of her newest, which is potentially blasphemous. Its title is stupid ("My! My! Time Flies") but it's actually an extremely atypical Enya song (it has guitars! and sounds Beatles-esque!)

YouTube - Enya: My! My! Time Flies! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P57aSW47rY8)
Okay so, you're right about the Adiemus thing, but I SWEAR the she did do a Braveheart song. It' s not under her name, it's under the band she was originally with.

Bastian
12-20-2009, 12:51 AM

Okay so, you're right about the Adiemus thing, but I SWEAR the she did do a Braveheart song. It' s not under her name, it's under the band she was originally with.
Well, Shiny . . . You're half right. She WAS in the band Clannad (comprised of her siblings and uncles) for two years. But Clannad didn't have any songs in Braveheart. They had a song in Last of the Mohicans though, but that was years after Enya left them. You're hearing her sister Maire's voice.

Wow, my Enya nerdom rears its ugly head once again!

Shiny
12-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Well, Shiny . . . You're half right. She WAS in the band Clannad (comprised of her siblings and uncles) for two years. But Clannad didn't have any songs in Braveheart. They had a song in Last of the Mohicans though, but that was years after Enya left them. You're hearing her sister Maire's voice.

Wow, my Enya nerdom rears its ugly head once again!
Does her sister sound exactly like her? If so, you could be right. I'll have to dig up that Braveheart soundtrack some where. Love that song.

Bastian
12-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Does her sister sound exactly like her? If so, you could be right. I'll have to dig up that Braveheart soundtrack some where. Love that song.
Maire Brenna sounds a lot like a much older, more worldly Enya. And she uses a similar production technique of layering many many vocal tracks with lots of reverb.

Trust me. It's not Enya.

And . . . I'm pretty sure it's not even Braveheart. I think we're talking about Last of the Mohicans (sp?) here.