PDA

View Full Version : Who here is easily frightened by horror movies like I am? I'm not crazy, am I?

Jessweeee♪
12-05-2009, 07:16 AM
It's silly, I know, but I still can't sleep for a week after I watch one ;_;

It can be a totally cheesy one too. I feel like something's going to "get" me if I mock it. D:

In the most severe cases it goes like this:

Day One:
I can't have my back facing any doors or windows. Sometimes sitting against the wall is good, sometimes that's also bad. I can't look into a fireplace or keep eye contact with my reflection for too long and I can't have loud music or listen to music in the dark. I avoid showering in the tiny bathroom at my house because something about the loud running water and the small space freaks me out when I'm in this state. If I'm using my laptop, it can't be the only light in the room. If I'm not sharing my room with anyone I make sure the room is dimly lit before I sleep and I turn the TV on. In the dark, I can't look around at places I can't see well, or I start imagining things.

The fireplace thing is random, though. Sometimes it's not an issue sometimes it is.

Day Two:
Everything's cool as long as it's not too dark, then the darkness related things above apply. Still no loud music. The shower still freaks me out but I just deal with it.

Day Three+:
No loud music when I'm in my room alone until I get over it. Nowadays that's about a week.

When I was a kid this would last for a month minimum. The darkness related things usually still apply, even if the antagonist only strikes during the day. I know it's silly, but :(

Anyway. Does anyone else get this way? xD

Raistlin
12-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Yeah, you're a pretty big wimp. The only person I know as bad is Jojo, who was freaking out for weeks after seeing The Ring.

Wimps!

Jessweeee♪
12-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Well wimp isn't so bad n.n

Aydin
12-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Paranormal Activity wasn't that scary! =/

Jessweeee♪
12-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Didn't you sleep in Tim's room after we watched it?

:nonono:

guffman
12-05-2009, 09:27 AM
sorry Jessweeee but you are a bit of a weenie...

Marshall Banana
12-05-2009, 09:38 AM
<3

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3far9oHZOsI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3far9oHZOsI</a>

Jessweeee♪
12-05-2009, 07:23 PM
<3

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3far9oHZOsI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3far9oHZOsI</a>

D:

guffman
12-05-2009, 07:25 PM
i remember seeing rubber johnny sometime in high school. it still gives me the creeps.

Miriel
12-05-2009, 07:27 PM
I feel your pain. :(

The last scary movie I watched was the Ring 7 years ago. I had paralyzing nightmares for months afterwards. Vivid, horrifying nightmares, where I would wake up completely unable to move.

The last scary movie I watched before the Ring was Chucky when I was in Elementary school, and again, horrifying nightmares for months.

Obviously, I've learned my lesson. No scary movies for me!

Shoeberto
12-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I used to be freaked out quite a bit by scary stuff but it's decreased over time. The first time I ever saw something involving demonic possession - which was actually in Twisted Metal Black - I had trouble sleeping for months, literally. But now a scary movie might get into my head the night after I watch it, lying in bed when my imagination is running free, but after that it's pretty much gone. I mean, I watched the Exorcist for the first time about a month ago and barely had any effect on me.

I don't think you're crazy, but you should prolly stay away from the scary movies :]

Raistlin
12-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Why do the biggest scaredy-cats when it comes to scary movies tend to be girls? I know plenty of females who love scary movies, but I haven't met a grown guy who is affected by them as much as Jesswee, Jojo, and Miriel. Is there some sort of recessive genetic predisposition for wimpiness on the X chromosome or something? I think there should be a study.

Jessweeee♪
12-05-2009, 08:09 PM
I think guys are more reluctant to admit it :(

Momiji
12-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Jeez. I wish horror movies affected me. Aside from Suicide Circle, no other supposed horror movie has done anything more than bore me.

Marshall Banana
12-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Why do the biggest scaredy-cats when it comes to scary movies tend to be girls? I know plenty of females who love scary movies, but I haven't met a grown guy who is affected by them as much as Jesswee, Jojo, and Miriel. Is there some sort of recessive genetic predisposition for wimpiness on the X chromosome or something? I think there should be a study.
I don't know, but females are also less evil than males. Could be related.

Rye
12-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I will never watch scary movies. Just watching the news is enough to give me paralyzing nightmares; I don't need movies to do it.

Vyk
12-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Jeez. I wish horror movies affected me

Its like a rollercoaster thrill for me. Scary but fun. Being scared of a movie is safe. So I, too, wish I could be scared of movies again. In fact when I was little I used to go down in our basement and turn the lights off and think about escaped murderers and monsters and stuff trying to freak myself out. Doesn't work so well anymore :[

Mogi
12-06-2009, 04:33 AM
I'm so desensitized that I look for literary devices in horror movies ;_;!

Moon Rabbits
12-06-2009, 05:06 AM
<3

APHEX TWINNNNNNNNNNNNN<33333333333~~~~~~~~

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the brutalization of women is a running theme in a lot of the horror genre ;) Or that a man is uncomfortable saying that he slept with a night light on after watching RINGU because of the expectation of masculinity ;) ;)

ANYWAY, horror movies don't usually freak me out. I'm an uber fan of B-grade horror with buckets of blood and gore. I also like Hollywood horror. Really gross stuff like Cabin Fever. One of the only horror movies that actually managed to freak the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of me was Audition.

Mirage
12-06-2009, 08:31 AM
All of Aphex Twin's videos seem like they've been made while on psychoactive drugs. That's probably not very unlikely either, considering all his music definitely is.

Other classics are of course Come to Daddy, and there is one where they replace a human's mind with one of a dog, but I forgot what it was called.

-edit-
actually it was a squarepusher song called Come On My Selector

Breine
12-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I like scary movies, and have never had a problem sleeping because of watching one.

...well, maybe when I was a kid.. but that totally doesn't count!

Moon Rabbits
12-06-2009, 05:27 PM
All of Aphex Twin's videos seem like they've been made while on psychoactive drugs. That's probably not very unlikely either, considering all his music definitely is.

Other classics are of course Come to Daddy, and there is one where they replace a human's mind with one of a dog, but I forgot what it was called.

-edit-
actually it was a squarepusher song called Come On My Selector

Window Licker is another good one.

Mirage
12-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Windowlicker is hot.

~*~Celes~*~
12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
It takes a lot for a scary movie to get to me bad enough that I have trouble with it after i walk out of the theatre.

Christmas
12-07-2009, 02:10 PM
http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/sadakoEye.jpg

Mirage
12-07-2009, 02:40 PM
The only movie that actually scared me was Event Horizon but when I watched that movie I was also 10 years old.

Slothy
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Bull :bou::bou::bou::bou:. They're just a different kind of evil.

Also, I haven't been afraid of a horror movie since I was maybe ten and even then it was mostly just being hyped up the night of and then fine the next day. I wish this stuff could get to me now, but most are just so mundane and predictable, or rely too much on gore to cover up for being boring as hell.

P4ine
12-07-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm hardly able to take them serious, they're more to make me laugh as I think "Something like this is very unlikely".. Yet I do like to watch them

Dreddz
12-07-2009, 07:30 PM
The only two movies to really get under my skin were the Blair Witch Project and Eraserhead. The latter having a scene so terrifying that I have to share it with all of you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF1OxBBVVDI)

Slothy
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
The only two movies to really get under my skin were the Blair Witch Project and Eraserhead. The latter having a scene so terrifying that I have to share it with all with you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF1OxBBVVDI)

Blair Witch might stand as one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. Sad considering the hype around it when it came out. Eraserhead is pretty cool though. Not sure I'd use the word terrifying to describe that scene though. Kind of gross maybe, but not terrifying.

Rodarian
12-07-2009, 07:50 PM
I love watching horror movies! Its so much fun scarying yourself..My sister and parents dislike horror movies...Well not so for mum but dad becomes a total pussy cat...

I WILL however share you something that happened a few months back.

I was down with a viral fever and was all alone in my bed room with the lights off...Anyhow I couldn't sleep properly...Next thing I knew I heard a very loud wail coming from a bird...Within the next second, I heard a very loud and a very wet crunch......

I called my sister to calm me down and then she suggested I pray to keep anything from harming me...

That incident still disturbs me....

Moon Rabbits
12-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I was down with a viral fever and was all alone in my bed room with the lights off...Anyhow I couldn't sleep properly...Next thing I knew I heard a very loud wail coming from a bird...Within the next second, I heard a very loud and a very wet crunch......

I called my sister to calm me down and then she suggested I pray to keep anything from harming me...

That incident still disturbs me....

Maybe it was a fever dream! I have weird hallucination-ey type things when I have a fever that gets way too high.

Or maybe your house is haunted! I'm convinced my basement is. Rocking chair rocks by itself, footsteps, doors opening, televisions turning off, lights flicker in time with music~~~ It's all very fun.

Jessweeee♪
12-07-2009, 10:29 PM
The only two movies to really get under my skin were the Blair Witch Project and Eraserhead. The latter having a scene so terrifying that I have to share it with all with you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF1OxBBVVDI)

Blair Witch might stand as one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. Sad considering the hype around it when it came out. Eraserhead is pretty cool though. Not sure I'd use the word terrifying to describe that scene though. Kind of gross maybe, but not terrifying.

Movies like Blair Witch get me the worst xD

Dreddz
12-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Well the Blair Witch Project is kind of an acquired taste. Maybe you just have to imagine yourself being there to really understand the horror. And I honestly have no idea how you didn't find any part of that Eraserhead clip terrifying. Or at the very least disturbing.

Quindiana Jones
12-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Films don't scare me. :(

Marshall Banana
12-08-2009, 12:03 AM

The less evil kind of evil, since they don't make up the majority of pedophiles, serial killers, and rapists!

Moon Rabbits
12-08-2009, 12:08 AM
The less evil kind of evil, since they don't make up the majority of pedophiles, serial killers, and rapists!

Zing~~~~

Well the Blair Witch Project is kind of an acquired taste. Maybe you just have to imagine yourself being there to really understand the horror. And I honestly have no idea how you didn't find any part of that Eraserhead clip terrifying. Or at the very least disturbing.

Both tBWP and Eraserhead are fucking scurrrrrrry! Especially that monster thang oh jeez. Fuck I hate that scene. Why did you remind me I hate you I hate you.

Also, despite being ridiculously camp, Evil Dead I & II have always frightened me.

Jacob's Ladder is pretty good too. You can definitely see where Silent Hill got its inspiration.

Slothy
12-08-2009, 12:32 AM

Maybe not, but they've castrated enough men (metaphorically) that I think it balances out.

Oh I have no trouble imagining myself in the woods at night with a bunch of strange sounds. I actually call that fun. It's easy enough to imagine myself there, but the entire movie was really a whole bunch of people screaming, shaky camera work and nothing really happening as I recall. It's been a long time since I saw it but I know it didn't phase me at the time, and I was a lot closer to the age where things did then than I am now.

And that scene in Eraserhead is kind of gross and certainly weird as hell, but I really wasn't phased by that either. Thought it was kind of cool actually. Maybe horror movies not being scary isn't the problem so much as me being more messed up than the people who make them?

Raistlin
12-08-2009, 12:55 AM

Maybe if women were more evil they wouldn't be such wimps. :holmes:

Marshall Banana
12-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Touché.

Moon Rabbits
12-08-2009, 02:49 AM
My inner feminist is crying.

Metaphorical castration of men, oi. I say that's fine payback for the literal castration of women >_>

I'll keep it to EoEo now, sorrrrrrry~~~~~~

On topic: Suicide Club and Noriko's Dinner Table! The scene in the bowling alley with Genesis in SC was like ... oiiiiiii :bou::bou::bou::bou: smurf. The part where the one girl's BF kills himself by jumping off a roof onto her was so cooool~ And the whole opening scene with the 54 school girls. mmmm thats good horror.

edit: quote tags are not spoiler tags.

Slothy
12-08-2009, 03:17 AM
My inner feminist is crying.

Metaphorical castration of men, oi. I say that's fine payback for the literal castration of women >_>

I'll keep it to EoEo now, sorrrrrrry~~~~~~

It was just a joke. Never take me too seriously. :p

Wolf Kanno
12-08-2009, 04:59 AM
The only two movies to really get under my skin were the Blair Witch Project and Eraserhead. The latter having a scene so terrifying that I have to share it with all of you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF1OxBBVVDI)

That is definetly a bit disturbing though I do feel Silent Hill has desensitized me a bit too much. Reminds me of Tetsuo: The Iron Man a bit.

I like scary movies but prefer occult horror and sureal stuff life Dreddz's Eraserhead or Tetsuo: The Iron Man. I come from the H.P. Lovecraft brach of horror where it you take a poor "everyman" and then have him walk down the wrong alley and somehow magically winds up discovering that the worlds is a more terrifying place then he thought when utter madness and supernatural horror overtakes them.

Jiro
12-08-2009, 05:45 AM
I'm slowly working my way through some scarier types to desensitize myself, because I really am a wuss.

Jessweeee♪
12-08-2009, 06:10 AM

And it's usually the females that get tortured the most. The girl always survives or is the last to die so she can see every one of her friends and her lover die in the most horrific way :(

I remember while watching Paranormal Activity Mogi texted me good night and I was very reluctant to say "I love you" because of this ;_;

Badge
12-08-2009, 06:13 PM
The last horror film I watched was Mirrors and I couldn't look into one properly for a few weeks and I sometimes hesitate nowadays. I generally try to avoid horror films or if they are on whilst friends are round I just don't watch them (pillows ftw). The thrill of a scare is good at the time but afterwards, my imagination plays up so much. So I'd rather avoid this kind of trauma.

Also, if horror films were silent they wouldn't be half as scary.

Markus. D
12-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Depends on the theme.

Zombie or Vampire horror won't scare me at all. ... The only barely recent horror film to scare me is Silent Hill (Eye was twitching during the second Nightmare world D;)

LunarWeaver
12-08-2009, 11:00 PM
I find most horror movies funny and bits of all horror movies have made me a stifle a laugh. That's not because I'm so awesome-manly. I am quite the opposite. But for some reason horror movies do not affect me and often when they try... I dunno, it just doesn't work. People don't like watching horror movies with me not because I talk or let out laughter but because they know I'm grinning on the inside.

Okay, wait, the only movie to scare me was The Blair Witch. Camping means bugs and nature and no television or Playstation 3. I can't think of anything worse than that.

Moon Rabbits
12-09-2009, 09:14 PM
The last horror film I watched was Mirrors and I couldn't look into one properly for a few weeks and I sometimes hesitate nowadays. I generally try to avoid horror films or if they are on whilst friends are round I just don't watch them (pillows ftw). The thrill of a scare is good at the time but afterwards, my imagination plays up so much. So I'd rather avoid this kind of trauma.

Also, if horror films were silent they wouldn't be half as scary.

Mirrors was a really generic movie imho, but the part where the girl rips her face in half is awesome.

Zeldy
12-09-2009, 09:28 PM
The film 'Hannibal' left me traumatized but I was ten years old and the film is rated 18. Apart from that, I get such a thrill out of horror films. I love films with suspense over gore, though, too much gore is just unnecessary (like Saw). The Ring is one of my favourites!

Kamiko
12-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm usually terrified by anything suspenseful or horrific, but most extremely gory films make me kind of uncomfortable. At some point, it's just ridiculous (unless it's a zombie film).
I am a total wimp though.

Jojee
12-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Haha it's nice to see other people have such strange rituals. xD Although, having the TV on? No thanks, ever since I saw The Ring, I don't like to stay in the same room as a TV when I'm alone, when I'm scared, because something will crawl out of it and kill me. Plus TV static is so commonly an element of scary films.

Back to a wall = good. Can't have the closet door open at night. All doors have to be closed. Sleep with the lights on. Etc. :3

Raistlin
12-09-2009, 11:38 PM
... are you saying watching The Ring so many years ago is still affecting you? :p

Jessweeee♪
12-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Haha it's nice to see other people have such strange rituals. xD Although, having the TV on? No thanks, ever since I saw The Ring, I don't like to stay in the same room as a TV when I'm alone, when I'm scared, because something will crawl out of it and kill me. Plus TV static is so commonly an element of scary films.

Back to a wall = good. Can't have the closet door open at night. All doors have to be closed. Sleep with the lights on. Etc. :3

Nah, as long as the TV was on a station that was on 24 hours it was fine. It looked scarier when it was off and not full of vibrant colors D:

If I'd turn it to the blue input channels, a channel that was all static, or if it just randomly shut off, that would have freaked me out.