PDA

View Full Version : Bayonetta

Yeargdribble
12-05-2009, 05:03 PM
So I didn't see a topic about this in the first several pages. Bayonetta seems to be garnering a lot of hype, but to me the game has just looked silly. The concept seems over the top, the character seems ridiculously sexualized and the action seems so frantic that I couldn't imagine controlling it. So what's the deal with a 40/40 from Famitsu for such a game. Is it just because of the way it appeals to a Japanese audience?

Well, I tried the demo last night because when something gets this type of press I want to see what the deal is... preconceived thoughts be damned.

It... was... awesome. I loved it and my wife loved it. We both went in thinking how silly it seemed and felt that way through most of the tutorial. At some point we realized that the game is almost a caricature of itself. It's like it's parodying the over-sexy, ridiculous over-powered character thing.

One of the first things that struck me were the incredibly fluid controls. It's something you can't explain... you just have to feel how it controls. The combat seems to have unusual depth. If you want to just button-mash your way through, you probably could on easier modes. If you want more, you can set up insane combos.

The visuals are stunning and anything you've seen in stills on the internet or anywhere else will not do the game justice. The characters and backgrounds are simply gorgeous and the animations are awe-inspiring.

Each area has little trophies and stuff and that's gonna be great for replay for me personally (and other completionists).

My advice, no matter how silly or ridiculous you think it is... no matter how offensively sexy the character is to you.... please try the demo on PS3/360. The demo certainly changed my mind about the game and I'd say it certain lives up to the scores, hype and accolades so far. I can't wait to play the whole thing.

Markus. D
12-05-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm so getting this game, and the soundtrack xD!

Depression Moon
12-06-2009, 12:01 AM
The game doesn't seem exactly like Devil May Cry, but with a woman dopes it? I have DMC3 and played through about 60% of it and I thought it was just alright. The game looks nice but i hear too many comparisons about the DMC.

Rad Bromance
12-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Ever since I saw the first teaser trailer, a year or two ago, I've wanted to play it! It looks awesome! :D

Rase
12-06-2009, 01:31 AM
I've played the demo about four times now, and love it. Definitely looking forward to playing through the whole game. The combat is ridiculously fluid and allows for insane combos, especially with the weapon swapping aspect.

Depression Moon
12-06-2009, 03:34 AM
Is this on PSN?

Croyles
12-06-2009, 03:52 AM
I downloaded the demo, but ive been hearing that Sega messed up the PS3 port, but they asked sony to help them fix it. Hopefully they can get it on par, cause ive seen the 360 version and it looks much better. It would of been fine if I hadnt seen it I probably wouldnt have cared :)
I wouldnt mind it being graphically inferior but it also has bad framerate :(

Ive been hearing nothing but praise for the gameplay though so I will play it later.

Breine
12-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Only seen some trailers of it, and it does like pretty promising. I mean, the girl has that sexy secretary look and guns in her heels.. what more needs to be in this game!?

Anyway, this game is probably going to be a success.

JKTrix
12-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Even if it was just DMC with a chick, I'd get it. The man who created Devil May Cry (and Viewtiful Joe and Okami) also made this game.

It sucks that the PS3 version in Japan was technically inferior, but all reports say that it's still a fine game. So if you have a PS3, and even if Sega doesn't 'fix' it, I don't think you should be too worried about it.

The last DMC game did pretty well from what I recall, but this does not have the brand recognition behind it. Sega's doing a much better job of advertising this than they did with either Yakuza or Valkyria Chronicles, so I hope this game does do well for them (and Platinum).

ljkkjlcm9
12-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I want this game as well, just don't know if it's my priority considering the time period it is being released, and my current back library.

THE JACKEL

Rad Bromance
12-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Does anyone know if the problems with the PS3 version vs the 360 version are really all that noticeable?

I have both consoles but really would prefer to play on my PS3! :D

Yeargdribble
12-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Does anyone know if the problems with the PS3 version vs the 360 version are really all that noticeable?

Sadly, yes, it's quite bad.

Bayonetta Video Game, PS3/360 Demo Comparison HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ps3-360-demo-bayonetta/57538)

While the color richness could be cleaned up by some tweaking on your end, the lack of clarity in all of the backgrounds is pretty bad.

Bayonetta PS3 vs 360 performance data revealed (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-Providence-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m11d1-Bayonetta-PS3-vs-360-performance-data-revealed)

Performance also takes a hit, but might not be noticeable.

From what I've heard the improvements are to glitches and the such in the port rather than specifically on the graphical shortcomings.

JKTrix
12-07-2009, 01:50 AM
More detail Face-Off: Bayonetta | DigitalFoundry (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-bayonetta-faceoff) (probably where that guy got the 'performance data' from)

Bolivar
12-07-2009, 02:00 AM
I just finished the ps3 demo and the only time I noticed framerate drops were during the cutscenes. If it weren't for the publicized fact that the 360 version is smoother, i would have assumed it was normal as a lot of games in the ps2 era and even today still have choppy framerates during cinematics. Also, you should know that a lot of the comparison videos don't have the ps3 running on optimal settings. You need Full RGB range and Super White turned on, and from there you adjust your brightness settings to where the blacks seem as sharp as they need to be, and a lot of sites simply don't do this. With all of that, I have to say the game looks great running on the PS3.

With all that technical crap out of the way, I have to say the game is very fun. Over the top, action packed, and a great art style to bring it all together. The torture moves are great add-ons, and all of the animations and climax sequences just make this a great package.

That said, I've been playing God of War recently since the collection came out and Bayonetta is even more of a button masher than that game. I just keep pressing a series of triangles and finish it off with a circle, or vice versa, and just expect the big hair boot to come out at random times. I pretty much don't even bother dodging. I'm sure this will probably change fast as the game goes on, but I had to get that out of the way.

What stood out to me the most though was the sound. I was shocked to find out SEGA is only the publisher as the music is very reminiscent of the Genesis days to me. The sound effects as well are all very arcadey and this seems to be a game where you'll be going back over and over again to improve your combos and scores. Definitely a lot of fun.

Sadly, i'll probably be too busy with MAG, White Knight Chronicles, Bad Company 2, Heavy Rain, and this game's direct adversary, God of War III to bother picking this up. I'll probably wait till its $40 or so to get my copy.

Croyles
12-07-2009, 04:24 AM
Ok I just tried the demo and it is very fun, even if I never was much a fan of these kinds of games.

Didnt notice any framerate drop, but then again I hardly ever do.
The only thing that bothered me was the extreme blurriness of the graphics which ended up really hurting my eyes, and I have good eyes. If it was a little sharper it would of not put that much strain on me.

Yeargdribble
12-07-2009, 06:03 PM
You need Full RGB range and Super White turned on, and from there you adjust your brightness settings to where the blacks seem as sharp as they need to be, and a lot of sites simply don't do this. With all of that, I have to say the game looks great running on the PS3.

Yeah, and this pisses me off. I have trouble believing that the people who do these elaborate comparisons are unaware of the fact, but they seem to have leanings toward the 360 and don't do what they can to make it more fair.

Bolivar
12-07-2009, 06:36 PM
You need Full RGB range and Super White turned on, and from there you adjust your brightness settings to where the blacks seem as sharp as they need to be, and a lot of sites simply don't do this. With all of that, I have to say the game looks great running on the PS3.

Yeah, and this pisses me off. I have trouble believing that the people who do these elaborate comparisons are unaware of the fact, but they seem to have leanings toward the 360 and don't do what they can to make it more fair.

GameTrailers is the worst. They've had review controversies over botched comparisons of Assassin's Creed, GRID, Wolverine, and.. i forget, something else i think but at least 3 comparisons where you intentionally smurf up is not a good sign.

They actually had PS3 versions running on both sides, just one side didn't have the full effects on. I'm not sure if there's really any excuse for that.

Dreddz
12-07-2009, 09:37 PM
I always liked Gametrailers personally. I agree on almost all of their reviews. As for Bayonetta, I think it'll be the first great hack n slash game of this generation. Capcom completely phoned it in with DMC4.

JKTrix
12-07-2009, 10:33 PM
As far as comparison videos go, the guys at the link I posted know what they're doing.

On the subject of Button Mashy Bayonetta, they've taken that to the extreme too. You can literally play the game with just one button if you set the difficulty to Very Easy Automatic (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175753). I don't think it's available in the demo (at least it isn't in the Japanese version), but 'Easy Automatic' is similar.

Depression Moon
12-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah it seemed a lot of buttom mashy to me too. The game seems a little tooo action packed for me and I'm concerened if it has any real depth. I'm thinking I'll likely it for about two weeks or less and thn get tired of it. It was pretty cool walking on walls though. I think it would be somewhat a bit better if the camera was closer because I can't tell what I'm doing half the time when there's a large group of enemies.

Rad Bromance
12-07-2009, 11:06 PM

Bayonetta Video Game, PS3/360 Demo Comparison HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ps3-360-demo-bayonetta/57538)

While the color richness could be cleaned up by some tweaking on your end, the lack of clarity in all of the backgrounds is pretty bad.

Bayonetta PS3 vs 360 performance data revealed (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-Providence-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m11d1-Bayonetta-PS3-vs-360-performance-data-revealed)

From what I've heard the improvements are to glitches and the such in the port rather than specifically on the graphical shortcomings.

Guess I'll be buying the 360 version then! :D

I had no idea the PS3 version was a port.

Bolivar
12-08-2009, 02:23 AM
I always liked Gametrailers personally. I agree on almost all of their reviews. As for Bayonetta, I think it'll be the first great hack n slash game of this generation. Capcom completely phoned it in with DMC4.

I actually like GT a lot too, it's one of the game sites I check regularly. In many ways they're apart of the whole gaming media, sensationalist, tyranny of the majority, caught up in the hype legion, but they're not nearly as bad as many other outlets.

All I'm saying is they got caught with their tail between their legs many times and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

Yeargdribble
12-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I love Gametrailers reviews to a point. I just really enjoy how thorough their video reviews are and as much as I love a long text review sometimes you really need to see a game in motion to understand thing. That said, their review scores are terrible and they are generally WAAAY too nice. Almost nothing drops below an 8 and a 7 means the game is a garbage can fodder. They are also quick to dismiss really bad features though they at least mention them.

I think perhaps they are the best reviews if you take them with a grain of salt and use your own faculties to make judgment on the game they are reviewing from the info provided. I honestly wonder if they are doing what they do on purpose. They are kind enough with scores and so amicable with their criticism that they aren't likely to burn any bridges in the industry, but they put enough of it out there that the discerning gamer can still extrapolate that a game performs less well than the score they give it.

Markus. D
12-08-2009, 10:04 PM

They really didn't... it just wasn't up to the epic characters/storyline that made DMC3 shine.

Diffuculty is still the same as the original (with the addition of what they did in DMC3 SE adding in more diffuculties to appeal to the casual crowd too... as in, DMD Mode is still DMD Mode), and the distinct change in gameplay style when transitioning to Dante makes for an interesting backtracking phase (which has been in all DMC Games ;p).

Mirage
12-09-2009, 03:17 PM

Guess I'll be buying the 360 version then! :D

I had no idea the PS3 version was a port.

The PS3 version is the port in most multiplatform releases.

Yeargdribble
12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
At least in many previous cases the differences are practically unnoticeable. In the end it's always roughly the same thing... PS3 has better lighting and Xbox looks crisper. PS3 looks softer with less jaggies but at the cost that almost the whole game looks too blurry.

I think most of the big names before Bayonetta (Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, AC II) had such barely noticeable difference that it was always up to personal taste, but Bayonetta definitely shows clear superiority on the 360.

Mirage
12-09-2009, 04:28 PM
GTA4 had a slightly lower framerate than the 360 version iirc. It wasn't more than like 5 fps, but if you were 28 fps on the 360 in an intense scene, you'd then be at like 23 fps on PS3, and that low it's starting to be very noticable. I think this was the case in soul calibur 4 too.

Rad Bromance
12-14-2009, 02:00 AM
Well, I just got done playing the demo (360 version) and I must say, I loved it! I'm going to try out the PS3 demo tomorrow just to see if I can notice the difference.

I think this was the case in soul calibur 4 too.
As someone who bought both versions and played them to death (because I was a silly person who just had to have Darth and Yoda, without realizing they were going to release both as DLC to the other console), I can safely say this is 100% completely and utterly untrue. Both have an identical framerate with absolutely no slowdown at any times.

The only real difference I see is, PS3's textures in SC4 are actually quite superior to the 360's, and the lighting is better on some stages (particularly the icy snowy one, and the one where you're on a moving raft), and even that difference is hardly noticeable. :D

Depression Moon
12-14-2009, 02:22 AM
I've been playing more of it and now for me it's less buttom nashy. I've gotten used to the controls and can pull off most combos now so the battles seem less chaotic for me.

I might consider renting it down the road.

Rad Bromance
12-20-2009, 07:24 PM
So I've finally gotten around to playing the PS3 demo today...and yeah, I can definitely see the framerate drop. It's rather unfortunate. I don't, however, see the blurriness everyone is talking about. Aside of the framerate problem it seems pretty much identical visually to the 360 version from what I can tell.

I am however curious if both versions are identical in content, as in this demo things are actually happening differently than they do in the 360 demo.

JKTrix
12-21-2009, 01:40 AM
Content is identical in the full version. The comparatively limited PS3 demo is just indicative of the issues they had with that system.

I'll repost this if you want to see the graphical differences between both versions, both in image and video form.
Face-Off: Bayonetta | DigitalFoundry (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-bayonetta-faceoff)

According to reports from the video games press who have the US versions, they haven't 'fixed' anything. Though they said they could release a patch.

Rad Bromance
01-06-2010, 04:32 AM
So I bought it today for 360 and so far it's absolutely fantastic. The battle system is insanely polished and has an incredible amount of variation, the music is fun, and the graphics are freaking beautiful. The voice acting is also top-noch. :D

I highly urge anyone with a 360 who hasn't checked it out yet to do so.

JKTrix
01-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Got up to Chapter 5. Good stuff. I love the defensive options, not just 'Witch Time' but the Dodge Offsetting too.

I like to practice sometimes during the loading screens (except that it actually loads too quick on the 360... press 'back' to stay in the loading practice screen).

PS3 owners should get it too if you only have a PS3. It's the same game, just with some minor presentation issues. But if you have both systems, 360 really is the way to go.

Yeargdribble
01-07-2010, 07:23 AM
So I got my wife to play the demo just for kicks... then we went out and bought it. I haven't gotten to touch it. She took over. She wants her own save file and doesn't want me to get ahead of her.

She's been getting uncharacteristically into this stuff lately. Like playing Dead Space she'd occasionally get too excited when I'd kinesis an explosive at something in zero G or hit one of those dudes with the exploding arms and they would blow everything around them up. She'd suddenly let out some guttural "GNYEAAH!!" or something. We affectionately call these man-gasms. Instead of going, "eww, those guts flying around are gross" she's just hardcore into it like a redneck getting excited watching NASCAR or something.

She's loving the over-the-top action in Bayonetta and just loves kicking everything in site in the face. Add on top of that the fact that she bats for both teams and she's also enjoying the other more exploitative aspects of Bayonetta as well.

I have a feeling the 360 is gonna be occupado a lot over the next week or so.

JKTrix
01-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Your wife is awesome.

LunarWeaver
01-09-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm on Chapter V. Or VI. Or something, I forget because I didn't get to play it today and I was returning to previous chapters and doing a lot of Alfheims, which made me infinitely better at this game. Anyway, just popping in this thread to add some love. Dante and Kratos have some catching up to do now.

Rad Bromance
01-09-2010, 11:58 PM
So far the one and only weak point I can find in the game is the story. I can't follow it for the life of me. :p

JKTrix
01-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Finished it on normal earlier today. Story in games is not something I usually bother with, so i wouldn't say it's a plus or a minus.

The one minus I do have is with the non-optional minigames. When you get to them (2 in particular) you might understand. I like OutRun and Space Harrier, but I want to play Bayonetta when I'm playing Bayonetta.

Zone of the Enders 2 was nice enough to have its lame Gradius game as a separate extra.

For now, I'm gonna run through the game on 'very easy' mode just because the automatic stuff is crazy :p

Madame Adequate
01-11-2010, 10:59 AM
I wasn't sold on this until JK said Space Harrier.

Though I suppose I should just get Space Harrier. Or play Shenmue.

Is this really that good? I've had exactly the same doubts as Yearg outlined in the OP. xD I should be getting my 360 back tomorrow though so I'll see about getting hold of the demo then.

Yeargdribble
01-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Well, this isn't a game you play for the story. Like everything else in the game, the story (as far as I've gotten) is meant to be a tongue-in-cheek jab at itself. The characters stock, stereotypes turned up to 11 to relish in their own absurdity. There are times when I get a Charlie's Angels vibe similar to what was in X-2, except here it's less vomit inducing. It's more dark, more adult, and way less serious unlike X-2 which seemed to be attempting to be serious in the absurdity.

To add another dimension to my comments... I haven't played a Devil May Cry game ever. The closest I've played is probably the GoW games. In generally this type of game is not my type of game and I'm still finding it enjoyable. It's beautiful to be certain, but aside from that and all of the silliness that is the story and the ridiculous characters, the game is just d**n fun to play.

Though the full game is more than the demo is, especially on terms of scale, the demo is certainly a good indicator of what the gameplay is going to be like for you. If you don't love the gameplay then you might want to skip or wait on this one, but if you're like me, very pleasantly surprised all around, you might want to grab this.

NeoCracker
01-12-2010, 01:55 AM
I don't really see why people bag on the story, it's really not that bad. A bit perdictible and simple, and far from amazing, but overall it's decent. And outside of the many bad VA preformances, the characters are still cool.

THough yes, the greatest appeals of this game are a solid combat system, and the shear scale of awesome that is what you can do. Like punching someone in the face and immidiately firing a shotgun round into their face.

...Or Bondage torturing angles.

Rad Bromance
01-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Well I finished normal mode today...it was fun and is one of the finest action games I've played, but boy if some scenes aren't outrageously cheesy. One of my housemates was in the room for that entire dancing thing after the credits and...yeah I was pretty embarrassed. :p

A good fun game that doesn't take itself too seriously though. I'll be beating it on hard next. :)

Madame Adequate
01-12-2010, 08:49 AM

"You've been a naughty obtuse!" :p

Yeargdribble
01-12-2010, 08:41 PM

"You've been a naughty obtuse!" :p

I lulzed.

Mirage
01-13-2010, 02:50 AM
Just tried the PS3 demo of this thing, and I'm seriously considering buying it, but the sometimes low framerate is holding me back.

Skyblade
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Overall, great game. But, I have to say, the quick time events are terrible. Even on the ones you can see coming, you have no way to know ahead of time which of their button combinations the event is going to use. Press too early, even with the right button, and you fail. Press too quickly, and you will fail (on most of the single-button dodge events, you have to hold the button for a short time, despite never being told this). You can go the entire game without getting killed in combat only to be insta-killed every time by the extremely bad quick time events. If they were just the halo-bonus ones, that would be fine, but the ones with the potential to kill you should have been removed.

JKTrix
01-14-2010, 12:55 AM
I agree with that, and won't try to rationalize that bad design. That, in addition to being attacked straight out of a cutscene, seems pretty cheap. It is only cheap the first time though, since the QTEs are the same every time you play it.

Going through the 'first time', it really does suck. Some of the QTEs don't make a lot of sense... like why would I press X (on Xbox) to dodge something when A jumps, or even RT is the pre-set dodge button? In the flow of the game for the first time, it is a little frustrating. When you play through it again, you might have an idea of what to expect.

I don't think you have to hold down any button, just time the button press.

NeoCracker
01-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Yeah, that's probably the biggest flaw is the amount of 'Press X to not die' moments in that game. But the rest of the game makes up for it. :p

JKTrix
01-14-2010, 01:11 AM
And again, it's only the first time you do it. Unless you're not paying attention.

Because there are probably people on the fence who'd use that as an excuse to not play Bayonetta. Nuh-uh.

Skyblade
01-14-2010, 06:42 AM
And again, it's only the first time you do it. Unless you're not paying attention.

Because there are probably people on the fence who'd use that as an excuse to not play Bayonetta. Nuh-uh.

Given the number of the events that are in the game, I still get confused on my second playthrough about which buttons correspond to which event. I mix up the never die ones with the Torture Attack and Climax mode buttons. I pretty much have them down now, but it is still frustrating and unnecessary.

Also, I notice that they won't kill you for missing them on Very Easy, only give you a Halo bonus if you get them right (which it should be the whole way through). Do they get even more evil, maybe trickier timing and more of them, as the difficulty increases?

Anyone using this as an excuse to not play Bayonetta is drastically missing out, though. Any game that lets you wield a katana while wearing ice skates and killing things with both is pretty much an instant-win.

Dreddz
01-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Now that I have my PS3 back I went out and bought Bayonetta immediately. I haven't played enough to give much of an opinion on the game but I can definitely see what people are talking about with the PS3 version. The very first gameplay segment is downright unplayable. I hope the folks at Sega are sweating blood getting a patch ready as this is unacceptable.

Rase
01-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Gonna rent it for the weekend before my suitemate gets Mass Effect 2 on Tues. and I can't use his 360 for like two weeks. Looking forward to it.

Dreddz
01-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Just reached Chapter 6. Technical issues aside, this game is incredible. Up there with DMC1, Ninja Gaiden and God Hand. If this game keeps up then it may just be one of the best games I've ever played.

JKTrix
01-23-2010, 08:45 PM
I just wanted to say Bayonneta is still awesome, but a new fan of Gurren-Lagann (That's you, Rase!) is also awesome.

Markus. D
01-23-2010, 10:36 PM
I adore the soundtrack <3
Especially the second vocal battle themey thing.

Big fan of the ridiculous (among other awesomely ridiculous attacks) Breakdancing.

Pewpewpewpewpew.

Dreddz
01-23-2010, 10:42 PM
I love how this game is just one epic boss fight after another. Its just so insane. My only issue with the game is that some of the cutscenes are done with still pictures which looks really odd. I guess money was tight. And the cut-scenes in the PS3 version are even sketchier than the game itself.

Yeargdribble
01-24-2010, 12:13 AM
My biggest beef with the QTEs is when they lack consistency. Many of them require you to jump. Most often the button required is the jump button, but sometimes it's the action button for no apparent reason.

Overall I still find the QTEs here a little less bothersome than in GoW.

Rase
01-25-2010, 01:37 AM
I just wanted to say Bayonneta is still awesome, but a new fan of Gurren-Lagann (That's you, Rase!) is also awesome.
Ha ha, yeah. Last semester me and some friends went through the first 16 episodes in a row, with summer sausage, cheese, and crackers for all. Good times.

Beat Bayonetta last night, in it's suitably ridiculous manner. Very fun, but very frustrating with the enemies who suddenly don't give you Witch Time or can set you up for a three-four hit combo. We're starting Hard Mode, and good lord is it painful.

Skyblade
01-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Ha ha, yeah. Last semester me and some friends went through the first 16 episodes in a row, with summer sausage, cheese, and crackers for all. Good times.

Beat Bayonetta last night, in it's suitably ridiculous manner. Very fun, but very frustrating with the enemies who suddenly don't give you Witch Time or can set you up for a three-four hit combo. We're starting Hard Mode, and good lord is it painful.

Accessories can mitigate the heck out of the difficulty, if you use them right and don't mind high scores. When Witch Time can't be triggered anyway (Graciousness and Gloriousness are right twits about it), go ahead and equip the accessory that makes you automatically counter attack when you dodge. It prevents you from activating Witch Time, and absolutely kills your combo score, but it really hurts them. Moon of Maha-Kalaa is also wonderful, as it lets you break out of combos really easily.

Rase
01-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Accessories can mitigate the heck out of the difficulty, if you use them right and don't mind high scores. When Witch Time can't be triggered anyway (Graciousness and Gloriousness are right twits about it), go ahead and equip the accessory that makes you automatically counter attack when you dodge. It prevents you from activating Witch Time, and absolutely kills your combo score, but it really hurts them. Moon of Maha-Kalaa is also wonderful, as it lets you break out of combos really easily.
But if we had bought an accessory we wouldn't have been able to afford all of the weapons and the kimono costume. :p

Seriously though, we're grinding on Normal in between getting our butts kicked on Hard, so we've almost got enough for an accessory. Going for either the counter attack or the taunt-to-refill-health. I lack faith we will beat Hard by Wednesday, but my friend has no such feelings.