PDA

View Full Version : Which is the Best Version?

Rad Bromance
12-06-2009, 02:31 PM
So I want to start playing the series through again, starting with the original. I played the NES version years ago (before there was any other version) but never finished it. Which would you say is the best and why? :D

Lawr
12-06-2009, 03:04 PM
There's a PSP version too. I haven't played it but the graphics looked the best out of all of them (and I heard the sound quality was great too.)

I did play those three though and I'd have to say the Playstation one, because it had the best quality and didn't have the decreased difficulty like the Gameboy. I think it had load time issues though. I think.

Wolf Kanno
12-06-2009, 07:17 PM
The PSP version is very close to the Dawn of Souls Version. They have some extra dungeons that allow you to fight later bosses in the series but little else.

The NES version is fun but I feel you get a little more out of the PS1 version cause it retains the originals difficulty but gives you modern conveniences like knowing how your equipment actually affects your party members as well as items that cast spells. Not to mention the spell list doesn't have the god awful translation so you actually know what all the spells are for purchase. The game also has a small gallery that unlocks original artwork and stuff the more you explore the game. As a bonus, like the DoS edition you also get a graphically overhauled FFII to boot. :D

Raistlin
12-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I haven't played the GBA version, but I have heard consistently that it makes a mockery of the difficulty. The PS1 is a more faithful remake that is largely what the original NES version was, only upgraded.

black orb
12-10-2009, 08:40 PM
>>> There are MSX, WonderSwan and Mobile versions too :D..:luca:

Flying Mullet
12-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I haven't played the GBA version, but I have heard consistently that it makes a mockery of the difficulty. The PS1 is a more faithful remake that is largely what the original NES version was, only upgraded.
Yes, the GBA version is shamefully easy.

The GBA version is nice for it's portability aspect but for the best overall experience I agree that the PS1 version is the most enjoyable as it removes annoyances without losing much difficulty. Plus, you can play the PS1 version with the annoying features re-enabled and you gain the prettier graphics and music to boot.

jammi567
12-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I really like the GBA version. The extra dudgeons are quite fun to complete, and the game is actually possible to complete in multiple sittings instead of one, as youcan save in the Chaos Shine before you have to fight Chaos.