PDA

View Full Version : Top 200 Games of all time

guffman
12-07-2009, 06:21 AM
Game Informer released their list of the top 200 games of all time in commemoration of their 200th issue. Here is the link to the list.

GoNintendo - Game Informer - top 200 games of all-time (http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=105214)

In the issue they justify all of their reasons and for most i think i agree. But based on this list how do you guys feel?
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

krissy
12-07-2009, 06:30 AM
this is an excellent list and people should try most of these games

Jessweeee♪
12-07-2009, 06:36 AM
57. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 (PS, 2000)

58. Mass Effect (360, 2007)

74. Tomb Raider (PS, 1996)

97. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SEGA Genesis, 1992)

100. Portal (PC/360, 2007)

151. Fable (Xbox, 2004)

177. Tekken 3 (Coin-op, 1997)

What.

Bunny
12-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Included Xenosaga while excluding both Suikoden and Xenogears makes the credibility of this list kind of low. A lot of the games on it are pretty good but there are a lot of other games that were just kinda meh.

Raistlin
12-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Yeah, some of the choices are odd. They also seem to undervalue non-FF RPGs, but that wasn't unexpected. At least FFT is relatively high up there!

Levian
12-07-2009, 08:36 AM
76. Mario’s Picross (GB, 1995)

wut

Madame Adequate
12-07-2009, 10:44 AM
I eagerly await arguing about this Internet list on the Internet with other Internet users :)

Edit: Dahahahahaha no wait I just looked at the list, I can't put off my posting.

164. X-COM: UFO Defense (PC, 1993)

117. Fallout (PC, 1997) vs. 65. Fallout 3 (PS3/360/PC, 2008) What. I mean worth it to see NMA rage, but at the same time, NMA rage is justified, when comparing merely a very good RPGFPS to an absolutely sublime work of genius which redifined what games could be.

114. Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri (PC, 1998)

115. Command & Conquer: Red alert (PC, 1996)

48. Deus Ex (PC, 2000)

30. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivious (360/PC, 2006) hahahahaha typo'd for truth

Why is Civ in 36th whilst Civ IV is 141st, and II and III are entirely absent? Civ was a great game but the sequels are all superior.

I will continue to rage until opinions are more in accordance with my own. :mad2:

Slothy
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Why is Civ in 36th whilst Civ IV is 141st, and II and III are entirely absent? Civ was a great game but the sequels are all superior.

Perhaps for it's impact on the industry? The sequels wouldn't even exist without it.

I love seeing people complain about these lists. Sure there are some odd choices on there if you ask me, but then we aren't seeing the reasoning behind their arguments as we actually would with the issue in front of us. Even then, keep in mind that this list was probably put together by a minimum of a half dozen editors who had to reach some consensus by the end. Differing tastes and giving in on some titles are bound to make for some weird choices.

black orb
12-07-2009, 05:00 PM
>>> Weird rank, no King of Fighters or Guilty Gear games? and Samurai Shodown 1 sucked, SS4 was the best.. I didnt see any Metal Slug game there either..http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/Luca-Walk-Front.gif

Bolivar
12-07-2009, 06:42 PM
I remember last year I think when there was another one of these and we all had it out and outraged for days and nights on EoFF. And the most innovative titles of 07 list, forget about it.

This one isn't too bad though, maybe it's just I'm jaded from arguing about this stuff. Obvious Nintendo/PC slant, but that's not really a bad thing at all, I honestly can't say it underrepresents Playstation or Sega or anything like that.

And it's good not to see the 157,089th person put Ocarina of Time as the best game ever made.

Like Vivi said, I think they were just going for importance, hence why the original Legend of Zelda would be above LttP or OoT. I personally think Tiberium Sun and Red Alert 2 are superior to their predecessors, Command & Conquer and Red Alert, but they didn't have as much of a "HOLY SH*T I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SH*T" as the first duo of C&C games did.

Dreddz
12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
After quickly glancing over the list, its not too bad. The top 10 is as dull as every other list, buts thats to be expected. My only quibble is with Deus Ex placing at 48. How can it be at 48 when its still the pinnacle of game design after nearly a decade.

Yar
12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Nostalgia factor etc etc

Moon Rabbits
12-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Syberia isn't #1. Syberia isn't even on the list! I see a total lack of point-and-click luv. Hell, MYST isn't even there. Neither is Okage. FFXII should be the only FF on that list; and X should definitely NOT be higher than XII. Zelda should not be #1. Tony Hawk sucked. L4D is good but L4D2 I liked better. Zork is on it, which makes me pleased. Cave Story, Chzo Mythos, and various other indie games are missing. Mass Effect is good but should be lower. ICO should be higher. Silent Hill 2, being the only one on the list, should be in the top 5 or at least 10.

edit: Oh, I agree with MILF about Civ. Civ II and III are the best parts of that series. II is a better version of I and III is a better version of IV.

edit: I probably have more problems with the list than these, but I didn't read most of it.

edit again: Deus Ex sucks. Deal with it.

Madame Adequate
12-07-2009, 08:13 PM
edit again: Deus Ex sucks. Deal with it.

Yeah no. Deus Ex is one of the best and most important games ever made, hands down. By almost any criteria you can come up with except graphics, it's top 5 material. (Glad you agree on Civ though xD)

As for being 'important', that's a fair way to make a list, but then the list should probably be called "Most important" instead of "Top".

Slothy
12-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Yeah no. Deus Ex is one of the best and most important games ever made, hands down. By almost any criteria you can come up with except graphics, it's top 5 material. (Glad you agree on Civ though xD)

I won't deny that Deus Ex is awesome and was certainly a very important and forward thinking game, but it hasn't aged that well in a lot of ways.

Particularly gameplay balance and difficulty level. You practically have to know the game inside and out to not struggle through a first playthrough. It's also not very polished and actually moving around as JC is pretty clunky (like a lot of first person games from that period). That doesn't necessarily make it any less awesome or important, but it lacks a certain level of polish that would take it from being a great experience to an unbeatable experience.

I'll blame it largely on my not getting the game until about two years ago, but it certainly doesn't change that some aspects are either lacking or down right annoying. It was still great as one of the first games to really combine so many different ideas and game play styles and make them work over all though.

Dreddz
12-07-2009, 09:05 PM
While Deus Ex does look dated and is a little rough around the edges, that doesn't stop it from being an absolute beast of a game. Despite the dated graphics, the game does an absolutely fantastic job in immersing you into the world and getting you involved with the characters. And the fact that I was still discovering new stuff on my 6th playthrough means they were doing something right. They pretty much set the benchmark for non-linear games in my opinion. And the game has one bitchin soundtrack too.

Slothy
12-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Like I said, it is still a great game, I just had qualms with how poorly some things have aged, such as the controls and the AI now that I think about it. It worked because the game was designed around it, but it was by no means great, and little things like that actually broke me out of the sense of immersion when I played it the first time. I can live with things like the ugly graphics though. I've been playing games too long to care about how ugly a game is when it is as well designed as Deus Ex. I just can't help but feel somewhat disappointed that as good as Deus Ex is, nothing has ever really done what it did as well as it did while cleaning up the little things that kind of bugged me when I played through.

Depression Moon
12-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Oh man I was thinking about posting this but thought yáll would be tired of these kinds of threads. I don't like the list just because they don't give recoginition to the greatest game ever which is FFIX, but they do for VII.

Also they seemed to go for nostalgia and games that made an impact on the industry. Well then why didn't they put in the very first game ever created on that list?

Jiro
12-08-2009, 02:23 AM
I'm going to pretend that list isn't in an order, it makes me feel better and accept it.

Rad Bromance
12-08-2009, 02:45 AM
I've always found these list, and arguing over them, silly. Everyone who isn't a mindless sheep is going to have their own unique opinion and therefore own list!

That being said, I strongly disagree with most of that list. :D

krissy
12-08-2009, 04:44 AM
this is a horrible list and people should never play any of these games

ljkkjlcm9
12-08-2009, 04:50 AM
I don't really see this as a "best" games list. I see it more as influential games that have changed the industry, or just had a big impact.

THE JACKEL

guffman
12-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't really see this as a "best" games list. I see it more as influential games that have changed the industry, or just had a big impact.

THE JACKAL

oh for sure, i think thats how they pretty much justify all of their listings. yeah i would have liked to have seen counter strike up higher, i mean thats the reason that online gaming is not only popular now but so refined. IMO

Jiro
12-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 any good? Honestly? Seriously I can't imagine it having an impact or an influence on gaming so I can't see why else it would be there at all...

Momiji
12-08-2009, 08:21 AM
23. Galaga
161. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
172. Ikaruga

...seriously? Of all the fantastic shmups in the world, you pick those? I mean Galaga and Ikaruga are okay, but what?

smurf this list

EDIT: Oh wait

113: Earthbound
163: Robotron 2084
189: Kid Icarus

Consider this lousy list marginally redeemed.

guffman
12-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 any good? Honestly? Seriously I can't imagine it having an impact or an influence on gaming so I can't see why else it would be there at all...

oh dude for sure, THPS 2 was when you could first link things and make huge scores. it helped to bring skateboarding back. without it, all X-treme games would never have existed.

Jessweeee♪
12-09-2009, 12:11 AM

oh dude for sure, THPS 2 was when you could first link things and make huge scores. it helped to bring skateboarding back. without it, all X-treme games would never have existed.

I used to play it a lot when my brother got it. I think it definitely earned itself a spot on the list. The ranking I don't agree with though, as my earlier post indicates xD

Depression Moon
12-09-2009, 01:06 AM
I am curious about The Legend of Zelda. I've only played the N64 ones and never beat one for the GBC. How are the other games in the series?

Momiji
12-09-2009, 01:44 AM
The first one will always be the best one, if you ask me.

Ouch!
12-09-2009, 02:05 AM
I was looking at this list recently. There's a lot of titles I never expected to see on it. Some were pleasant surprises. Others were conundrums. It's not the best list ever, but it's certainly not the worst either.

Shiny
12-09-2009, 02:40 AM
I'm not too miffed about this list because it's just opinion; not fact.

4. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2, 2001) Vice City.

142. Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle (PC, 1993)
:love:

For the most part, the games they included I agree should be on there. It's the order where they put some of them that I'm not feelin'.

Jibril
12-09-2009, 04:48 AM
Content editing inside tip: top x lists are created only to piss off the people who disagree with them (in this case that would be almost everyone), creating free publicity to the sites/magazines/etc. they are written in.

The fact that it's never made clear if innovation or quality are valued higher doesn't help -- this list would suggest that innovation took priority, but there's a ton of derivative crap on there. You have to separate them into different lists if you want the article to be cohesive and logical, but that's not what they want, they want you to talk/whine/argue about it.

That said, most of those games at least deserve to be in this discussion. Their placement will always vary wildly depending on the person, of course. To be honest, though, if I ever found myself sitting in a room talking to a few other dudes about whether Ocarina of Time is #9 or #8 on a huge list of great video games, I'd be forced to reconsider my career choice. It's almost as bad as 100-point review scales.

Wolf Kanno
12-09-2009, 08:22 AM
And it's good not to see the 157,089th person put Ocarina of Time as the best game ever made.

Quoted for the mothersmurfing truth :D

I like the list to an extent but like others I do feel some of the ordering is a bit out of sync and there are a few "wtf?!" moments but realistically, speaking, trying to choose two hundred great games and then proceed to put them in a somewhat cohesive order of "greatness" is an act of insanity, there are far too many good games out there.

G13
12-09-2009, 10:05 AM
30. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivious

I lol'd.

I'm with Jiro. I'm just gonna pretend there is no ranking system.

Some of these games seem like they were added randomly. Jak 3? Oddworld? They were okay games but top 200 of all time?

Shattered Dreamer
12-09-2009, 01:06 PM
This list is quite frankly a crock of $h*t! For one its Nintendo bias (yeah the original Zelda was great beyond great but not the best game of all time!) & its missing some really awesome games!

Timekeeper
12-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I think Perfect Dark should be there :(

Slothy
12-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I think Perfect Dark should be there :(

I didn't even notice it wasn't. I'll agree with you though; based purely on being innovative as hell and an improvement on Goldeneye in pretty much every way imaginable. I've still yet to see a console FPS that offered the sheer number of multiplayer options that it did, and before move to online multiplayer for consoles things like bots were sorely needed if you ask me.

Depression Moon
12-09-2009, 06:04 PM
The fact that it's never made clear if innovation or quality are valued higher doesn't help -- this list would suggest that innovation took priority, but there's a ton of derivative crap on there.

The Game Informer Show Episode 9 - Podcasts - GameInformer.com (http://gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2009/12/03/the-game-informer-show-episode-9.aspx)

Final Fantasy XII
A tale of political intruige surrounding a delicate armistice between continent-spanning empires, FF XII is a welcome break from the classic heroic journey that so many RPGs rely on as a backbone. Its gambit system shattered expectations, greatly rewarding those who put the time into mastering its nuances.

guffman
12-09-2009, 06:47 PM
30. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivious

the irony is so good i can taste it!

Laddy
12-09-2009, 10:53 PM
GTA3 as No. 4?

Really?

Tavrobel
12-09-2009, 11:35 PM
FFXII should be the only FF on that list

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OHH MAN I LOL'D HARD

But yeah, this list definitely looks more like a list of games that had an impact on the industry, as opposed to what a list of good games is. While I won't say that those two are mutually exclusive, and there is certainly some overlap, some of these games shouldn't even be considered, while others are left out entirely. Sure you can say that GTA 3 and GTA: VC were basically the same game, you shouldn't try to fix what isn't broken.

Also, Diablo II > Starcraft what the hell? Are they basing this on how much my wrists hurt after playing either game, or are they basing it on the stupidity of the populace that plays it?

WTF NO AOE II? BULL:bou::bou::bou::bou:

I lied. This list is crap.

Meat Puppet
12-09-2009, 11:44 PM
How did they collect this data?

Slothy
12-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Also, Diablo II > Starcraft what the hell? Are they basing this on how much my wrists hurt after playing either game, or are they basing it on the stupidity of the populace that plays it?

I'm not sure if you're just making fun of Diablo II there or both games. If it's the latter, then I won't bother getting into a debate of how amazing Starcraft is and simply laugh at you.

Tavrobel
12-10-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure if you're just making fun of Diablo II there or both games. If it's the latter, then I won't bother getting into a debate of how amazing Starcraft is and simply laugh at you.

I thought it was clear that Starcraft is superior compared to DII.

While I love Diablo II to death, it has serious, extremely serious, fundamentally serious flaws.

Slothy
12-10-2009, 12:25 AM

I thought it was clear that Starcraft is superior compared to DII.

While I love Diablo II to death, it has serious, extremely serious, fundamentally serious flaws.

Okay then, I'm cool with that. I just couldn't tell from your post if you liked either of them.

I could live with someone telling me they didn't enjoy Starcraft, but if anyone outright said it was a bad game I would have to laugh before promptly schooling them in how wrong they are.

Rad Bromance
12-10-2009, 12:57 AM

By browsing the Gamefaqs forums.

Depression Moon
12-10-2009, 02:20 AM
It's in the link I posted.

The Game Informer Show Episode 9 - Podcasts - GameInformer.com (http://gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2009/12/03/the-game-informer-show-episode-9.aspx)

Looking at this mag in my hand makes me feel so nostalgic and I feel bad on all the great games I've missed out on. I mean Earthbound, all the other Zeldas, all the Megamen, Metroids, and countless PC games, because I haven't even beat one of those. I have Daiblo II and Jedai Knight on my computer. They're fun but I'm not compelled to play them. I guess I'm too used to consoles.

Man look at all those games.