PDA

View Full Version : No Status Junction Playthrough?

Forsaken Lover
12-08-2009, 08:35 AM
So i am beginning to play FF8 again and I was looking at the various Challenge guides for FF8 and I concluded something.

A pure No Junction walkthrough is the most boring idea in the history of anything.
So you use physical attacks and magic stones...and that''s it? Some people even don't use Limit Breaks.

There's a fine line between challenging yourself and just punishing yourself. I could ram my head into a wall to see how many times I could do it until I passed out but that's not a challenge. And that actually sounds more fun than no junctions at all.

So I'm not gonna follow any challenge guide. I'm gonna level up like normal and use magic. just won't use GFs to attack or junction magic to my stats. It seems like this would make things interesting, as opposed to the painfully dull NJ crap.

Anyone here tried it?

Marshall Banana
12-08-2009, 09:03 AM
I started it once, and you're right. It's boring.

Forsaken Lover
12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
No, I mean have you tried what I'm gonna do. You can Junction GFs to use abilities but you can't junction magic to your stats or use the GFs to attack in battle.

Moon Rabbits
12-08-2009, 09:50 AM
It's been done. It is actually quite easy.

edit: Try no sphere grid in FFX. Jeeeeeeeesus!

Forsaken Lover
12-08-2009, 10:01 AM
But I don't like FFX's gameplay.....>> Why would I want to make it lamer?

And I'm not trying to do something that hasn't been done. Because it's all been done I'm sure.

And really, how easy or hard a game is depends a lot on the player. I've met people who own Emerald and Ruby but think Ozma is a bitch. On the other hand, I've also met plenty of folks who swear Ozma is the most pathetically easy super boss in the series.

Moon Rabbits
12-08-2009, 10:32 AM
FFX had a great battle system. This made it waaaaaaaaaay better, though. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-x-x-2/91073-equipment-buff-only-challenge.html)

Are you leveling up in this challenge? Leveling would make it more difficult, would it not? Since the enemies level too?

Forsaken Lover
12-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Yes I'm definitely leveling up. As you said it should be more challenging to face foes who are getting stronger along with me. Of course since I'll only be using the stats my levels give me I shouldn't be able to break the system and rneder the levels irrelevant like you can in a normal game.

The Last Oath
12-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I did the exact same thing. No junctionning magic to stats. However I did use abilities like str+60%. And after levelling up with the str bonus ablilities etc it wasnt too bad.

Forsaken Lover
12-09-2009, 04:38 AM
So here we go:
-No Stats Junction
-No summoning GF in battle
-No using Inns
-Two characters only
-No Card game or card modding
-no running from battles

I'm also asking a person elsewhere if I should not use a certain kind of mgic. Like I can't use status magic or I can't use elemtnal magic, etc..

This challenge is about fun hence why i cut out GF usage and card game playing... That can only make the game a lot more fun.

The Last Oath
12-09-2009, 05:19 AM
I made only select characters use magic. For example Zell could not use any magic at all, Rinoa could use Healing magics, Selphie used elemental. Squall could use some healing.

line_genrou
12-09-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm not really up to challenges in these games...It's just painful for me.
I like to become strong and kick ass with all of the basics that the game can offer for me to kick ass.

Forsaken Lover
12-09-2009, 11:13 PM
I made only select characters use magic. For example Zell could not use any magic at all, Rinoa could use Healing magics, Selphie used elemental. Squall could use some healing.

That's an awesome idea.

So I've started and here is what I'm doing:

I've started the game with the rules I put in my last post. I've added in a stipulation that only one character can use elemental magic and one can use restorative/status magic.

So say my party is made of Squall and Selphie...with some other character always KO'ed.
Squall will have Elemental Attacks and use elemental attack magic but that's it.
Selphie will have Status Attacks and can use Healing/Status magic

I plan to have a lot of fun with this.

line_genrou
12-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Oh,but I guess it was a challenge defeating Ultimecia with just Squall?

Kyros
12-10-2009, 08:54 AM
never use inns? I never use inns in any FF unless it makes me lol

Forsaken Lover
12-10-2009, 09:10 AM
That was an idea from someone else. I never thought of it either till they suggested it.

I used inns a lot in FF2.

line_genrou
12-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Inns are not really essencial.
I usually buy a lot of Tents...so I don't use Inns much.

Ouch!
12-10-2009, 07:42 PM
But... but... but... no card game means there's no reason to even play at all!