PDA

View Full Version : Why Golbez and Jecht...but NOT Seifer?

Forsaken Lover
12-09-2009, 04:55 AM
It's pretty much the exact same thing.

Zermus controlled Golbez, Yevon controlled Jecht, ultimecia controlled Seifer.
The "main villains" had pretty much no interaction or relation with the heroes while these three had close personal connections to them.

It just seems like a no-brainer.

qwertysaur
12-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Because playing as Ultimecia is fun :D

Wolf Kanno
12-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Becuase the game already had a Gunblade user and SE was afraid Seifer would play too much like Squall, that's the actual reason they gave but he was actually their first choice until someone on the team mentioned the problem. Technically, if you pay attention to Squall's animation for his attacks he actually uses it one handed like Seifer.

The list of character who didn't make it but were actually considered are: Kain Highwind, Locke Cole, Seifer Almasy, Yuna, Seymour Guado, Prishe, Vaan, Balthier, and Lightning.

Here are the reasons stated:

Kain Highwind - Not really a villain and they felt Golbez would work better from a story standpoint. As a nod to him, Cecil has moves designed to emulate Kain

Locke Cole - Terra is actually Nomura's favorite character and they wanted a female on the Heroes side. The main reason was because Terra had a stronger connection to Kefka than Locke.

Seifer Almasy - Too similar to Squall, like Kain/Cecil, Squall has moves where he fight one handed like Seifer.

Yuna - Because Seymour wasn't chosen as the villain and they felt Tidus was more of the lead hero.

Seymour Guado - Cause he doesn't have any real relationship with Tidus, Yuna then began to be considered as the new hero but they stuck to their guns and kept Tidus the lead.

Prishe - was the original character chosen to represent XI but was scrapped for Shantotto, though no official reason has been given why Shantotto was chosen instead, most fans theorize its because the Tarutaru are the more recognizable race in the XI universe.

Vaan - No reason is given except that he was apparently rejected by the staff in favor of the other candidates. Funny enough, Penelo makes a mention of this in the Battle Tip section.

Balthier - Passed over because he had already appeared as a guest character in Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions.

Lightning - The team decided that they didn't want to release info on a character before her game hit shelves.

Forsaken Lover
12-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Interesting. Where's this said? I believe you; I'm just curious.

Wolf Kanno
12-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Some of it is from the Ultimania but I got most of my info from Final Fantasy Wiki (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Wiki) ;)

black orb
12-10-2009, 01:15 AM
>>> Im still missing Vaan but SE made the right choices..:luca:

arcanedude34
12-10-2009, 03:58 AM
Seifer was a recurring mini-boss at best. That's like asking for Gilgamesh instead of Exdeath. It just feels weird.

And I wish Locke was in Dissidia. Terra bugs me to no end.

Forsaken Lover
12-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Golbec was just a mini-boss too.

Darth Cid
12-10-2009, 04:18 AM
I think Seymour should have made it. It's kinda hard to work with Zemus, because we don't get much interaction with Zemus in person before he becomes Zeromus. I didn't care for Sefier or Ultimecia so I don't dunno.

Skyblade
12-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Seifer was a recurring mini-boss at best. That's like asking for Gilgamesh instead of Exdeath. It just feels weird.

Seifer was the secondary villain of VIII, much like Seymour was the secondary villain of X, the Turks were the secondary villains of VII, Beatrix was the secondary villain of IX (debatable, but she comes the closest, even though she's also a good guy), and, yes, Gilgamesh was the secondary villain of V.

These characters show up in pretty much every FF game, they have quite a bit of plot behind them, and would certainly be my first choice for new villains for a second Dissidia game (except Seymour, 'cause, you know, he's a terrible character who should never have existed).

And you lose points for failing to see just how awesome having Gilgamesh in this game would be.:D

Wolf Kanno
12-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Golbec was just a mini-boss too.

Golbez is the driving force behind most of the plot until Zemus gets the big reveal, at least we leaned of Ultimecia's existence by the beginning of the third disc as opposed to before the second to last dungeon. Seifer on the other hand basically becomes the Sorceress' flunky and seems pretty content with it.

Gilgamesh as a hidden boss would be awesome, though it would really suck if they let him keep his Blue Magic...

arcanedude34
12-11-2009, 04:04 AM

Seifer was the secondary villain of VIII, much like Seymour was the secondary villain of X, the Turks were the secondary villains of VII, Beatrix was the secondary villain of IX (debatable, but she comes the closest, even though she's also a good guy), and, yes, Gilgamesh was the secondary villain of V.

And all these characters would feel WEIRD to me in lieu of the choices they made. If it were up to me, the only change on the villain's side would be Xande in place of CoD, but that's personal preference. But I suppose the ones you listed would make good villains for a potential sequel. Though I hope they don't feel the need to trash the entire current roster. I really like a few of the characters on it.

And for the record, I think Gilgamesh should have been a hidden character, if anything, not the main antagonist.

Besides, what did Seymour even DO? Besides making you go through a few extra dungeons, he had almost no lasting impact on... anything. Most ineffectual main-antagonist-for-most-of-the-game ever? Most ineffectual main-antagonist-for-most-of-the-game ever.

Oh, and Golbec made me laugh really hard for some odd reason. Don't ask.

Skyblade
12-11-2009, 05:44 AM

And all these characters would feel WEIRD to me in lieu of the choices they made. If it were up to me, the only change on the villain's side would be Xande in place of CoD, but that's personal preference. But I suppose the ones you listed would make good villains for a potential sequel. Though I hope they don't feel the need to trash the entire current roster. I really like a few of the characters on it.

And for the record, I think Gilgamesh should have been a hidden character, if anything, not the main antagonist.

Besides, what did Seymour even DO? Besides making you go through a few extra dungeons, he had almost no lasting impact on... anything. Most ineffectual main-antagonist-for-most-of-the-game ever? Most ineffectual main-antagonist-for-most-of-the-game ever.

Oh, and Golbec made me laugh really hard for some odd reason. Don't ask.

I was merely pointing out that Seifer was not "just a recurring boss". Biggs and Wedge, they were closer to filling that role.

Jecht was always the main villain of X. Jecht was Sin, and Sin was your objective from the time you started the game. He's the big threat there, he's the one you are out to eliminate. Destroying Yu-Yevon was just tying up loose ends.

Golbez was the main villain of IV for a long time, as Wolf pointed out. Certainly as much as Kuja was (after all, while Golbez was just being manipulated by Zemus, Kuja was just being used by Garland). Kain is the one I'd call the secondary villain of IV, though he too switches sides eventually.

The secondary villains should be added to the cast if they decide to make a sequel, but, no, they should not have replaced the choices they made, which were awesome.

And, yes, Seymour sucks. Badly.

Barraza
12-12-2009, 03:08 AM
The secondary villains should be added to the cast if they decide to make a sequel, but, no, they should not have replaced the choices they made, which were awesome.

And, yes, Seymour sucks. Badly.Doesn't matter. Yuna was the real hero(ine) of FFX and much, much cooler than Tidus. Imagine how much more playable she'd be. (Alternate costume gunner, amirite). Also, another girl on the side of Cosmos would have helped.

Skyblade
12-12-2009, 06:02 AM

And, yes, Seymour sucks. Badly.Doesn't matter. Yuna was the real hero(ine) of FFX and much, much cooler than Tidus. Imagine how much more playable she'd be. (Alternate costume gunner, amirite). Also, another girl on the side of Cosmos would have helped.

Auron was the true hero of FFX, not Yuna. It may have been Yuna's pilgrimage, but Auron was the primary driving force behind much of the game's story. He's responsible not only for bringing Tidus to Spira, but for shaping the pilgrimage along it's course to bring an end to the spiral, to avenge Braska and Jecht and fulfill his promises.

Jiro
12-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes but remember, it's Tidus' story. He whines about it himself. Tidus is the main character of the game, if not the hero of the story.

Setzer the Gambler
01-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Why not go with the daddy thing for Squall?
What would you think if Laguna was a bad guy...

I can hear him distantly say something like:
LEG CRAMP...
in the middle of battle :P

arcanedude34
01-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Why not go with the daddy thing for Squall?
What would you think if Laguna was a bad guy...

LEG CRAMP...
in the middle of battle :P
Hahaha, alright, they NEED to make Laguna a villain in Dissidia 2. I don't care if it doesn't make sense, it'd be hilarious.

Setzer the Gambler
01-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Are they planning a new Dissidia???
LMAO, that would be so cool...
Put Laguna on the evil side, all hell will definetly break loose!

qwertysaur
01-04-2010, 09:21 AM

http://img3.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/05142008/a/2/f/5/a2f5375d99b4f0_full.jpg

Setzer the Gambler
01-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Yuna was pretty cool, but I wouldn't wanna fight Seymour...
It would be too easy to kick his butt.

arcanedude34
01-05-2010, 03:58 AM
No, but seeing as how the game seems to be immensely well-received, it would not shock me if they're already rubbing their palms together in anticipation of another spinoff series.

Setzer the Gambler
01-05-2010, 12:16 PM
No, but seeing as how the game seems to be immensely well-received, it would not shock me if they're already rubbing their palms together in anticipation of another spinoff series.

Let me end your sentence:

... in order to fill their pockets with our so hard earned money and in order to achieve world domination with their legions of evil video game handsome men...

Del Murder
01-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Rinoa should have been the FFVIII boss.

arcanedude34
01-06-2010, 03:01 AM

Let me end your sentence:

... in order to fill their pockets with our so hard earned money and in order to achieve world domination with their legions of evil video game handsome men...
Handsome was a nice touch ;)

Roogle
01-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I feel like Yuna should have been chosen as the character to represent Final Fantasy X considering she has a major role in both games that take place in that world whereas Tidus only has a major role in one game that takes place in that world.

Because of this, I feel like someone who has played both games of the Final Fantasy X series will think of Yuna before Tidus because he hardly appears in the second game of the series.

Setzer the Gambler
01-07-2010, 12:27 AM
I feel like Yuna should have been chosen as the character to represent Final Fantasy X considering she has a major role in both games that take place in that world whereas Tidus only has a major role in one game that takes place in that world.

Because of this, I feel like someone who has played both games of the Final Fantasy X series will think of Yuna before Tidus because he hardly appears in the second game of the series.

I don't think that statement applies to everyone who has played both FFX games.
I played both and I still believe Tidus was a good choice.
I just wouldn't have wanted Seymour as a boss.

Forsaken Lover
01-08-2010, 02:17 AM
Tidus may not have been the hero Spira deserved, but he was the jackass they needed.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/NikKingMan/Tidus.jpg?t=1262916981

[/stole this]

*Devore*
01-11-2010, 12:42 AM
All of you Yuna lovers need to ignor FFX-2. That was just a side game, not part of the main franchise and thus, they wouldn'y have put her in a Gunner outfit. If she was in the game then she would have been slow and weak, always having to run away and cast spells from really far away.Not much of a fighter.
Tidus rules X although I would have prefered Auron, but he was not the main character.

Skyblade
01-11-2010, 08:48 AM
If Yuna was in-game, she would hopefully play off her summoning techniques, not just another straight caster (of which the game has plenty and none of them are underpowered). Since the summons were uniquely hers in FFX, they would make sense to be a part of her playstyle, and I would love to see them implemented.

That being said, Jecht and Seymour were the only villain choices, and Jecht was a much, much better choice than Seymour. Choosing Jecht pretty much assured that they would choose Tidus to pair him with.

Setzer the Gambler
01-11-2010, 12:46 PM
I second the previous post and I will add a touch of fangirlism to it...
Jecht is way much hawter then Seymour...

Wolf Kanno
01-11-2010, 06:34 PM
If Yuna was in-game, she would hopefully play off her summoning techniques, not just another straight caster (of which the game has plenty and none of them are underpowered). Since the summons were uniquely hers in FFX, they would make sense to be a part of her play-style, and I would love to see them implemented.

That being said, Jecht and Seymour were the only villain choices, and Jecht was a much, much better choice than Seymour. Choosing Jecht pretty much assured that they would choose Tidus to pair him with.

I don't know, considering the fact the game already has a summoning system, I find it highly unlikely they will ever create a pure summoner character for this game. Even if they only stuck to her summons that are not used in the normal summon system that only gives her three summons to use. I feel if they ever put Yuna in this game it will be as her X-2 incarnation, especially since she's a tad more lively and not completely useless like she was in X. Besides, her X-2 incarnation offers a much better and more diverse elements to be utilized for gameplay than a summoner would be.

As for Tidus, he is the main character cause the whole story is told from his perspective quite literally and he's the one who actually works as a catalyst to ensure the sappy heroine actually saves Spira. If Tidus wasn't there, Yuna would have just thrown her life away like the past summoners. Though Auron was the mastermind behind finally defeating Sin for good, Tidus and Jecht played pivotal roles that I feel outshines Yuna and Seymour's parts in this game.

Besides, Jecht is like one of the few really awesome characters in X and needs more screen time, no one likes Seymour :p

SuperMillionaire
01-28-2010, 08:58 PM
I would have liked it if they had multiple heroes and multiple villains from each original game to clash, instead of only one hero and one villain each.

qwertysaur
01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
22 characters in a fighter is already a lot

Wolf Kanno
01-30-2010, 10:25 PM
22 is a lot, especially for a handheld, and in order to fit more it may need to be moved to console.

I think the only thing that bugs me about character additions for the Dissidia game was that Kitase teased about putting Sora into a sequel if they ever decide to make one, and I guess my inner fanboy kinda feels that's not cool since I consider KH completely separate from the FF series (the cameos are just cameos and hardly hold much weight in the plot) especially if he gets added over other popular FF character spin-off titles like Ramza, Zack, Paine, or the Chronicles races. The annoying thing is that if they do decide to make sequels its probably going to be inevitable unless there is some fan outcry.

Mercen-X
01-31-2010, 12:09 AM
Sora's villain for KH = Riku. Sora's villain for KH2 = IDK... Axel? Demyx?
Sora's KH EX Burst = Trinity Heart (or whatever it was called)
Sora's KH2 EX Burst = Wisdom, Valor, Master, Final, Roxas! Master Hearts!

Beatrix was the secondary villain of IX (debatable, but she comes the closest, even though she's also a good guy), and, yes, Gilgamesh was the secondary villain of V.

I thought Kuja was the secondary. Wasn't there some dude pulling his strings?

And all these characters would feel WEIRD to me in lieu of the choices they made. If it were up to me, the only change on the villain's side would be Xande in place of CoD, but that's personal preference.
Miss Darkness was chosen specifically as a nod to the fact that ultimately Ultimecia was merely a fusion of Darkness and Palamecia.

Golbez was the main villain of IV for a long time. Certainly as much as Kuja was (after all, Kuja was just being used by Garland).

And, yes, Seymour sucks. Badly.
There it is.

Well, I don't know. Seymour's final form seemed okay. He even had a creepy giant pet.

Why not go with the daddy-thing for Squall?
What would you think if Laguna was a bad guy..?

LEG CRAMP...
in the middle of battle
Hahaha, alright, they NEED to make Laguna a villain in Dissidia 2. I don't care if it doesn't make sense, it'd be hilarious.

Agreed.

to fill their pockets with our so hard earned money and in order to achieve world domination with their legions of evil video game handsome men...
I am desperate to join the Legion of Squee. They would call me Squaltimos and I would be mighty... morphing....lol.

All of you Yuna lovers need to ignore FFX-2. That was just a side game, not part of the main franchise and thus, they wouldn't have put her in a Gunner outfit. If she was in the game then she would have been slow and weak, always having to run away and cast spells from really far away. Not much of a fighter.
Tidus rules X although I would have prefered Auron, but he was not the main character.
1. Just because she's a gunner, doesn't mean she'd be slow or weak. Look at all the other spellcasters in the game. No doubt, they would have compromised as they did with Cecil and Squall by giving her some of Lulu's spells.
2. There was a Job System in X-2, so Yuna could become anything in-game. Though, hopefully her fighting style would more closely resemble Paine because her X-2 Warrior form plays just like Tidus.

If Yuna was in-game, she would hopefully play off her summoning techniques.

I don't know, the game already has a summoning system, I find it highly unlikely a pure summoner character would fit for this game. Even if they stuck to summons that aren't used in the normal summon system that only gives her three summons to use.
Well, we've got the bird, Valefor, Ixion, Yojimbo, oh, and the Oblivion of Anima. Booyah! Could you imagine if you could equip a different summon for each battle and see the summon as her EX Burst?

I feel if they ever put Yuna in this game it will be as her X-2 incarnation, especially since she's a tad more lively and not completely useless like she was in X. Besides, her X-2 incarnation offers much better and more diverse elements to be utilized for gameplay than a summoner would be.
Paine could probably be used in a sequel as the representative for X-2.

22 characters in a fighter is already a lot
Not for a sequel, bub.

SuperMillionaire
02-03-2010, 09:23 PM
22 is a lot, especially for a handheld, and in order to fit more it may need to be moved to console.

I think the only thing that bugs me about character additions for the Dissidia game was that Kitase teased about putting Sora into a sequel if they ever decide to make one, and I guess my inner fanboy kinda feels that's not cool since I consider KH completely separate from the FF series (the cameos are just cameos and hardly hold much weight in the plot) especially if he gets added over other popular FF character spin-off titles like Ramza, Zack, Paine, or the Chronicles races. The annoying thing is that if they do decide to make sequels its probably going to be inevitable unless there is some fan outcry.

Then perhaps they should make a console version (multiplayer will have to be online only in this case), and even an arcade machine, as I mentioned earlier.

black orb
02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
>>> The Dissidia cast was perfect..:luca:

Mercen-X
02-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Just had to correct myself.

1. Just because she's NOT a gunner, doesn't mean she'd be slow or weak. Look at all the other spellcasters in the game. No doubt, they would have to compromised as they did with Cecil/Kain and Squall/Seifer by giving her some of Lulu's spells.

And this bears repeating.

22 characters in a fighter is already a lot.
NOT for a sequel, bub.

RedPouch
02-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Okay this is a REALLY late response, but god damn if they really exclude Ramza from the next Dissidia or whatever then I'm going to be extremely upset.

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this already, but it would be cool if we could have an "Outward Cosmos" or whatever next time.

Besides, Jecht is like one of the few really awesome characters in X and needs more screen time, no one likes Seymour
^ This.

Mercen-X
02-23-2010, 05:29 PM
"Outward Cosmos".

I don't think I've played enough of the game. Was there an "Inward Cosmos?" Does she have a "true form?" Or does this phrase mean you'd like to be playable or fightable? Or maybe by "out" you mean you'd like her to admit she's lesbian?

RedPouch
02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't think I've played enough of the game. Was there an "Inward Cosmos?" Does she have a "true form?" Or does this phrase mean you'd like to be playable or fightable? Or maybe by "out" you mean you'd like her to admit she's lesbian?
No haha. In Dissidia there's this sort of "bonus" story mode thing called Inward Chaos. Basically, it's just a kind of "super mode" where you fight the level 100~ish versions of every character in the game, and finally a level 110 Chaos at the end.

Mercen-X
02-23-2010, 09:51 PM
So what would be this "Outward Cosmos?" Wait. Never mind. Seeing what IC is I don't want to know what the OC would be. lol.

Fynn
02-25-2010, 03:28 PM
While I think that most characters were chosen wisely for this game, I knid of can't get why they chose CoD over Xande. From what I remember, she was a force, not an evil being, which was to bring everything to the void due to the lack of balance in nature caused by Xande. She's pretty much the Necron of FFIII, so not a person with evil intent, but a force of nature (or somehow beyond nature). If they chose her, they might as well have gone with Zeromus, Jenova, Necron and Yu Yevon.
Anyhoo, Ultimecia is a lot more logical joice than that. While Seifer was Squall's rival, he was just being manipulated, but not, let's say, "world-threatening" (I always saw him as a Kain of FFVIII), while Ultimecia is the one controlling everything. And we actually get to know her pretty early in the game, considering she was possessing Edea, so we don't really see Edea until she becomes Matron again. Ultimecia is a good choice, then :)

Mercen-X
02-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Miss Darkness was chosen specifically as a nod to the fact that ultimately Ultimecia was merely a fusion of Darkness and Palamecia.

:cool: