PDA

View Full Version : After getting a new computer

Xalibar
12-09-2009, 07:07 PM
After you get a new computer, what programs does a person need (necessary) to get? Like anti virus, spyware etc?

P4ine
12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
anti virus (antivir)
browser (firefox)
unpacking software (7zip)
messenger (msn)
music and video player (foobar and vlc)
office (microsoft)
burning software (img burn)
media editing software (photoshop, premiere, converter)
personal stuff (microsoft visual studio/c++ 2008, finale notepad, and so on)

things brackets are those i use

12-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Definatly vlc & WinRAR

Yeargdribble
12-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Firefox
VLC
WinRAR
Avast!

Those are pretty much the apps I must have after reformatting an HD so that I can carry on business as usual. Beyond that I have personal stuff like AnyVideoConverter, and Adobe Photoshop/Premiere for fun. Then for work I use MS Office, Finale and Cakewalk.

Xalibar
12-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Most pc's come with microsoft 7. I generally only use a computer for checking email and web browsing and not image burning etc. So, is antivirus software the only real thing that would be considered a necessity?

Rad Bromance
12-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Peer Guardian! :D

Shlup
12-10-2009, 12:32 AM
While this could be a deep, personal problem to some people, I'm gonna go ahead and put this in the Help Forum.

The only programs I feel I need on a new computer are graphics-related programs, like Photoshop etc. *shrug*

Mirage
12-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Secunia PSI. It helps you keep your programs up to date, which makes your PC less vulnerable to attacks.

ESET NOD32 antivirus, cause it behaves so nicely (it's not free though).

Firefox, cause I'm used to it.

CCCP + Media Player Classic for videos, because i think VLC's icons are ugly.

Winamp for music.

mIRC for my IRC chatting needs.

I use WinRAR for archiving.

crono_logical
12-10-2009, 03:41 AM
For me, I always install the following on fresh machines:

- Firefox for surfing, with adblock plus/all-in-one gestures/flagfox/firebug add-ons
- CCCP for videos
- VNC and Putty for remote controlling other machines
- 7-zip for archive stuff, threw winrar away ever since I found this app :p

No, I do not consider anti-virus/malware etc. a necessity on machines solely for my use, when behind a firewall (or multiple), even the default Windows one, and no urge to run anything slightly dodgy from the internet is more than sufficient :p Maybe for others or on higher risk machines though :p

Momiji
12-10-2009, 04:28 AM
This stuff, among other random things:

Firefox
CCCP (because I will always hate VLC)
7zip
Winamp
KVIrc
MSN
AIM
AVG Free
GIMP
AusLogics Disc Defrag

Raistlin
12-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Hah, and here I thought I was the only one who didn't prefer VLC. CCCP ftw!

crono_logical
12-10-2009, 10:06 AM
I find VLC too clunky and not up-to-date and bit screwy with codecs since it uses it's internal ones rather than system ones, so only useful if either a) you're on a machine you don't have permission to install stuff, or b) you want to run a streaming server especially with multicast, which admittedly can be useful sometimes :p

Rantz
12-10-2009, 01:23 PM
For me it varies since a good deal of time usually passes between the times I need to start over and my preferences change. However, if I were to get a new computer today this is what I'd install first:

Browser: Google Chrome (I'd install most major browsers, but whatevs)
Unpacking: 7-zip
Music player: foobar2000 (for locally stored music), Spotify (for streamed music)
Video player: GOM Player (for locally stored videos), Voddler (for streamed videos)
IM etc.: Windows Live Messenger, Digsby, KVIrc
Antivirus: AVG Free
Office Suite: OpenOffice
Torrent client: µTorrent
Other: Adobe Master Suite, Notepad++, Dropbox, Daemon Tools, Flash Player, Foxit Reader

Rad Bromance
12-17-2009, 03:31 AM
Hah, and here I thought I was the only one who didn't prefer VLC. CCCP ftw!
CCCP + WMP = :love:

I too am not fond of VLC.

Vyk
01-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Nice to know some people found and approve of 7-zip. I've been using it for years. Also nice to know I'm not the only one who prefers Chrome. Firefox never did it for me. And I'm with clout. I don't typically do a lot of unsafe browsing, and even less frequently install or grant access to random applications. Viruses aren't a huge concern to me. Though I do usually get around to putting something on my computers. But sometimes that can take years

Rostum
01-05-2010, 11:50 PM
I wonder why a lot of people get Adobe Master Suite - I bet most don't even know what half of the programs are used for, or even how to use some of them (like After Effects and Premiere).

Rantz
01-05-2010, 11:56 PM
I wonder why a lot of people get Adobe Master Suite - I bet most don't even know what half of the programs are used for, or even how to use some of them (like After Effects and Premiere).

I know how to use pretty much all of them on an at least basic level! That's not to say I use all of them, there's just no other package that doesn't lack at least one of the Adobe apps I do make use of. ;o It's certainly not for everyone, though.