PDA

View Full Version : Watching other people play

Rantz
12-11-2009, 11:56 PM
So while talking on MSN to Noctiluca he asked me to try his real-time video link of him playing vidya games (http://smotri.com/broadcast/view/?id=3302653) and help him make it watchable. It's not perfect but we managed to get it looking kind of normal.

Topic: Do you go on Youtube or whatever and watch people play games, whether for getting gameplay tips or to check a game out before you buy it?

Rye
12-12-2009, 12:17 AM
I tend to prefer watching a person play in real life than on YouTube, but watching does really make me decide if I want a game or not.

JKTrix
12-12-2009, 12:27 AM
All the time, though my usual haunt for such things is the Japanese site Nicovideo. There are a few users whose whole shtick is to play games while charismatically narrating them (in Japanese). One of the guys I'm following right now is currently playing through "Sakura Zakashobotai", which is a dramatic Japanese PS2 game about Firefighting. And it *is* dramatic.

On the more normal tip, there are always live streams of games that get leaked early, or something. I remember staying up real late in the days before stuff like Street Fighter and BlazBlue came out, watching people who had gotten the game early play each other. Heck, I was awake way too early when Modern Warfare 2 came out and totally negated any need I had to play the game by watching one guy almost fully complete the single player campaign from start to finish.

Every Tuesday, 1up.com actually hosts a Game Night (http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3172883), where they play a game live and answer questions about it. They usually focus on whatever interesting game is coming out that week, or failing that they pull out an import. This week they did PixelJunk Shooter, but last week they did Sin & Punishment 2 (which I can't freakin wait for, and forgot about until just now and would have included it in my 'most anticipated 2010).

But yeah, as a fighting game fan, watching gameplay videos is like a regular part of my diet. Momiji also has me watch a lot of his danmaku shooter videos, which are also pretty neat.

Shadowdust
12-12-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't really watch the game to decide if I want it so much as I like to watch others play games, in real or online video, when it is a game that I simply suck at playing. Some games have some really cool stories but due to the kind of gameplay, it's just easier watching someone else play it.

black orb
12-12-2009, 12:30 AM
>>> I have been in a couple of fighting games tournaments (offline), and is fun to watch other people beat each other in these games. You can learn a lot from your opponent by just watching..:luca:

Psychotic
12-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Kyle-

Tribal Sheva or gtfo.

Yours,
Paul.

EDIT: why are you jill I said tribal sheva damn you :colbert:

EDIT2: Wow this is a sick run you and that Wesker are on.

EDIT3: I know you read my post, BSAA Jill jerk :colbert: Still, her knee drop never fails to make me smile.

EDIT4: This Chris you are with kind of sucks. But at least he's polite enough to thank you!

JKTrix
12-12-2009, 12:50 AM
There should just be a chat on that stream :P

Psychotic
12-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Seriously. There probably is, actually, but we can't understand how to get there 'cause it's in Russian.

Meat Puppet
12-12-2009, 01:05 AM
yeah

Slothy
12-12-2009, 01:06 AM
I mostly watch videos for fighting games, or to get a sense of how a game plays before buying it.

Raistlin
12-12-2009, 01:18 AM
I don't usually do this, though growing up I loved to watch people play in person. However, I will occasionally watch online videos of gameplay that is exceptional for some reason (whether it's a crazy speedplay or just amusing).

Rantz
12-12-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm pretty sure he's been completely absorbed by the game for like two hours because he abruptly stopped responding to my IMs xD

LunarWeaver
12-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Oh my. I haven't played that game in a while, but I didn't think I'd do that bad. But then (excuse time) the other person kept running over and sticking by me which is just asking for pain. Stay separate ffs.

Kyle-

Tribal Sheva or gtfo.

Yours,
Paul.

EDIT: why are you jill I said tribal sheva damn you :colbert:

EDIT2: Wow this is a sick run you and that Wesker are on.

EDIT3: I know you read my post, BSAA Jill jerk :colbert: Still, her knee drop never fails to make me smile.

EDIT4: This Chris you are with kind of sucks. But at least he's polite enough to thank you!

Seriously. There probably is, actually, but we can't understand how to get there 'cause it's in Russian.

I used Tribal once. You must have missed it ho ho ho.

I think there is a chatroom but it was disabled. I set it to "friends only" or something instead of public. Whoops.

And I do indeed watch other people play quite a bit on YouTube. It's sad but true. But there are people out there that have done crazy accomplishments with games I own that I can't even imagine doing.

Rostum
12-12-2009, 01:46 AM
I usually like watching Speed Gamers do their marathons. Especially the huge Final Fantasy one they had earlier this year.

Tavrobel
12-12-2009, 02:14 AM
I watch speed runs, Pokemon battles, and commentated walkthroughs on YouTube. If I'm watching someone else play in person, it's because they're my roommate and I'm paying no real attention.

Jessweeee♪
12-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Depends on the game and the person playing it. My friends and I have a lot of fun playing Mirror's Edge together n.n

Slothy
12-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Mirror's Edge is just fun in any capacity. Whether playing the game, watching someone play the game, or just screwing around for fun.

Rad Bromance
12-12-2009, 02:27 AM
I watch YouTube gameplay videos it if it's a new game that I'm excited about (like FFXIII) or it's a game that's been out awhile that caught my eye and I want to see the gameplay to know if I really am interested in it or not.

I also like to see people pull off ridiculously cool stuff in games I'm well acquainted with (like killing the Emerald Weapon in three minutes or something). :D

krissy
12-12-2009, 02:33 AM
i watched mirrors edge all the way through on youtube
other than that i don't really go out of my way to do this kinda thing

Psychotic
12-12-2009, 02:35 AM
On topic, I watched GTA IV videos before the game itself came out. And I watched a Metal Gear Solid 3 speedrun or two the entire way through.

Jessweeee♪
12-12-2009, 04:27 AM
I watched Giant Bomb's Persona 4 endurance run all the way through.

The whooooole thiiiiiing :|

JKTrix
12-12-2009, 04:43 AM
I watched a lot of that too, but stopped when they got to the point where I had played. Didn't want no more spoilers.

I actually booted up my Xbox to watch some of the online replays in Virtual On, and it made me think of this thread. So I thought I would share!

One of my favourite residual effects of this generation's primary feature (that of online connectivity) is being able to watch replays of other people's games on your own TV screen. Some of the top players in these games are just insanely skilled.

Sephex
12-12-2009, 05:46 AM
I like to watch those videos for fun. They have inspired me! In fact, I have done a couple myself. TIME FOR A SHAMELESS PLUG!! If anyone is interested here is...

Super Star Wars: YouTube - Super Star Wars Playthrough Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD0CrZoJdks)

Terminator 2 NES: YouTube - Terminator 2 NES Playthrough pt1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_6WGfUxEEQ)

Those will link you to the first parts of each playthrough. Just go to my channel and watch the other parts if you'd like. Note that I have a pretty crappy mic. It's not like you can't hear me, but don't expect the same quality like the Nostalgia Critic or something. I have been told my commentary is enjoyable, so take a look! :)

Levian
12-12-2009, 05:06 PM
He's not playing now!

I probably enjoy watching video games more than I like playing them myself. :D A friend I play a lot with is exactly the same way, so when we play together it's more like we're taking turns to watch than taking turns to play. :D

Rad Bromance
12-13-2009, 01:25 AM
He's not playing now!

I probably enjoy watching video games more than I like playing them myself. :D A friend I play a lot with is exactly the same way, so when we play together it's more like we're taking turns to watch than taking turns to play. :D
Neat! :D

Sword
12-13-2009, 03:50 AM
If I wanna experience a game when I'm away from home for long periods of time (uni) then yeah I'd watch it in parts on youtube but I've never sat through a whole one. I prefer going onto websites like justin.tv and watching people playing them live with their commentary and you can give them tips in the chat box. I also like to stream live gaming while I'm doing work.

I Took the Red Pill
12-13-2009, 05:51 AM
If I'm thinking about buying a game I'll read up on some reviews on it, and if it's held my interest for long enough, will look up a general gameplay video on youtube to see if it's somethin' I can dig. Other than that I'll watch one of my roommates if they're playing a game around me, although I guarantee that they are annoyed by me, as I am usually pointing out what I think they are doing wrong and how I would do it.

Fuzakeru
12-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I used to love curling up next to my ex-fiance on the couch and watching him play games that otherwise wouldn't be my cup of tea. I get scared easily so I'd never play a Resident Evil game or Dead Space or something myself but I loved sitting by him and watching.

JKTrix
12-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Jess mentioned these guys already, and I also follow them. I love these guys.
Quick Look: Just Dance - giantbomb (http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-just-dance/17-1776/)

Lionx
12-14-2009, 08:20 AM
But yeah, as a fighting game fan, watching gameplay videos is like a regular part of my diet

This. Best way to level up is watching other people play and seeing why they did what they did.

Other than that its there for me to see if the game is worth anything...or a great game that i probably wont play but might discuss with friends later.

Iceglow
12-15-2009, 01:53 AM
the last things I watched to do with games on Youtube were actually a couple of CoD 4: Modern Warfare vids. I had gotten stuck on a few key points on Vet difficulty, mainly because I'm a cautious player in FPS games, I tend to be the sniper in Halo who hangs back some and lines up the long shots from a distance. I needed to see some ideas for tactics on how to bust through a couple of points where speed and aggressive play need to come to the fore.

I also tend to watch things if I'm doing something in a playthrough and have a split decision to make which is key I'll often check what the one I decide not to take does.

Markus. D
12-15-2009, 01:58 AM
I have watched playthroughs of all Silent Hill games without commentry, because I'm shiz scared to play it myself.

JKTrix
12-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Can someone who doesn't have a nico account tell me if this works?

FF6 video thing (http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm9076076)

If it does work, all of you should watch it for one example of 'people charismatically narrating a game as they play it, in Japanese'. This is a game most of you should be familiar enough with that the language barrier shouldn't a problem.

Levian
12-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Yeah it works.

Vyk
12-16-2009, 11:34 PM
I don't get the point in foreign narrations, but to each their own. I don't watch very many game videos online. Once in a while I'll get an itch for some nostalgia and watch old Saturn or SegaCD games online or something. But I'm a huge game watcher around the house. I watch my brother and my roomy play games all the time. They make more use of my 360 than I do. And I'm an excellent back-seat gamer. That extra pair of eyes that only speaks up when you need help. I'm a pretty good gamer myself and since I'm not in the action I can usually notice the patterns and can take over and get them through tight spaces to give them a break from time to time. I dunno why I enjoy navigating people through games more than playing. Probably just weened myself that way 'cause they both would rather play than watch. And since I don't mind watching, it just happened that way. Since its been mentioned, I think it'd be awesome to have a girlfriend curl up with me and want to watch me play. That'd be some interesting nerdy together time <3

But yeah. I watch. A lot. I kinda miss playing. But these days I feel awkward playing while my roomy watches...

Edit: Oh man, that video was annoying. It was a chore hanging in there long enough to get to the opening. And wasn't really even worth the trouble... Way to ruin the best game opening ever lol xD Done with that video~