PDA

View Full Version : ...memory card death. Someone hand me my Tanto.

Goldenboko
12-12-2009, 09:11 PM
One of my PS2 memory cards died today. All the info on it, corrupt, including my FFXII data, DCII Data, etc. etc.. Seppuku seems to be my only option.

Have you ever had a Memory Card die on you? If so, what did you lose?

Shattered Dreamer
12-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I've never had a memory card die on me but I've had individual save files die most notably a WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role save file way back when I was so so pi$$ed off at the time!

Mirage
12-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I've had a PS1 memory card die, it was one of those third party things with a button to select between several "virtual" memory cards on the same card. I didn't lose anything of value. After that however, I always keep backups over several cards. I always have at least two saves per game, and always save over the oldest one each time i save my game. That way, if i get a power failure I will never lose more than since last time I saved. Every every week or two, I also copy my most recent save for recently played games over on a different memory card.

Sort of related: You can back up your PS3 saves to a FAT32-formatted USB-drive, however the copying is really slow. I don't know why, but 15 MB isn't supposed to take 5 minutes.

Raistlin
12-12-2009, 10:01 PM
My Pokemon Red saved game disappeared when I was 10, beaten and with a ton of Pokemon.

I've never recovered.

Momiji
12-12-2009, 10:08 PM
My Pokemon Red saved game disappeared when I was 10, beaten and with a ton of Pokemon.

I've never recovered.

Same. It was traumatizing.

black orb
12-12-2009, 10:21 PM
>>> I have ps1 memory cards from 10+ years ago and all of them still working fine..:luca:

Jessweeee♪
12-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah, and I knew it was coming because the same thing had happened to my brother's of the same brand. The only thing that was lost was my DDRE2 data, which wouldn't copy to another memory card beforehand and I couldn't use cheats to unlock all the songs. I lent the game and my dance mat to my brother's friend since I decided to take a loooong loooong break from it and I never saw it again. I am a sad Jessweeee♪.

Kyros
12-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Thats ok b/c most other DDRs *cough*MAXX2*cough* were better, just need that memory card to not mess up for ya :)

Levian
12-12-2009, 11:11 PM
They've never died, but I've probably lost a fair few. I don't think I've ever lost something that would make me upset.

Ouch!
12-12-2009, 11:37 PM

I've never recovered.

My Pokemon Blue data corrupted about a week after I got Scyther, the last pokemon I needed to have all 150. I cried. D;

Iceglow
12-13-2009, 12:21 AM

I've never recovered.

My Pokemon Blue data corrupted about a week after I got Scyther, the last pokemon I needed to have all 150. I cried. D;

It doesn't help that original GB cartridges backed the data up by having old round CR20** series to power a memory chip. When the battery dies with no way of replacing them theres no memory chip anymore. :( This happened in some but not all GBA games too.

I lost several memory cards to old age. In fact it's why I need to get EPSXE installed on my laptop because I couldn't even if I had my ps1 set up play my games because otherwise I'd be unable to save them.

Goldenboko
12-13-2009, 01:14 AM
>>> I have ps1 memory cards from 10+ years ago and all of them still working fine..:luca:

Same. Don't make things like they used to?

Raistlin
12-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Yeah, I've never lost anything from an actual memory. Well, I did once get one of those fancy third-party ones that was supposed to have about 10x the space, but it was one of those things where it was divided into multiple sections of a normal memory card of space, and I started having trouble switching between sections to access the stupid information, but it was all there.

That'll teach me to be tempted by the fancy bells and whistles.

krissy
12-13-2009, 02:35 AM
ps1 card died (third party) while using a ps2 to play chrono cross
luckily i had a backup from four hours prior in my game on a non-third party card

my sister saved over 50 hours of my ff8 game the first time i was playing through it
i didnt bother finishing the game until a long time after that

ANGRYWOLF
12-13-2009, 02:41 AM
a long time ago.A 3rd party card.

So I don't buy 3rd party cards any longer.

I Took the Red Pill
12-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Back when The Official Playstation Magazine would send me demo discs, one of the games on the demo (I think it was Viewtiful Joe 2) deleted all of the memory from my memory card. I was so pissed, particularly because my first playthrough of FFX was on there and I was at like Yunalesca or some :bou::bou::bou::bou:e. I was so smurfing livid. They sent me a free game to "make up for it", but damn, I was pissed for a while after that. Ah, back when video games were srs bzns in my lief. :heart:

Mirage
12-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Even if they weren't, you still spend real life time playing them so it's just natural to be pissed about all of your time invested going to waste.

Shoeberto
12-13-2009, 06:33 PM
my sister saved over 50 hours of my ff8 game the first time i was playing through it
i didnt bother finishing the game until a long time after that
I had my FF7 save data wiped out twice after I'd gotten to the third disc, probably close to 40 hours both times. This was on my first play through. The first time it was my friend accidentally saving over my saved game with his (from the start of the game), and the second time it was my cousin. I had to play through the game like three times before I was able to beat it :(