PDA

View Full Version : Corruption

Bunny
12-13-2009, 03:18 PM
For my Cultural Anthropology class, I had to do a study on a culture and the trials and tribulations that said culture must go through. Well, okay, in reality the paper was supposed to be about a specific aspect about a culture without any real limits as long as you did the assignment. I did it. Mine was on violent media (specifically video games) and the effects that it has on the criminal behavior of youth and young adults. For the sake of argument, the target group was rather small and comprised of a rough 10-year span of around 13-23.

Keeping all that in mind (if it makes sense, woo 24 hours of no sleep), I want to get some opinions from this forum. I won't include them in my paper because I already turned it in and got a decent grade so you aren't really doing any of my homework for me. I'll share my own thoughts and semi-discoveries when I can actually form coherent sentences that make a shred of sense.

k bai go

Raistlin
12-13-2009, 04:43 PM
I dunno about other societies, but in the US violent crime among all age groups started a marked decline right around the times video games became popular (1980-ish), which continued until now (I think it's hit a sort of plateau in recent years, but hasn't gone up). So, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you found a relationship between violent video games and a decrease in criminal behavior, considering games keep kids occupied and give them a harmless outlet for some of their aggression.