PDA

View Full Version : Weapon system

Psychotic
12-14-2009, 01:30 AM
New Details on Final Fantasy XIII Weapon Upgrade System (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176928)
Final Fantasy XIII: Weapons System, Missions, and More kotowari 「理」 (http://www.kotowari.org/final-fantasy-xiii-weapons-system-missions-and-more/)

It actually seems kind of interesting.

For those of you who cba to click links, basically you can find materials that can be used to upgrade your weapons. The more items you use on weapons, the more EXP they gain, and new EXP means new forms and abilities.

I've never really been a fan of the traditional FF weapon upgrading system, ie, buying a new one with every single town you go to. Maybe now every town will have something worth adding to your weapon, instead of only the last one being worth a damn for shopping.

Also, Snow's coat changing colours and patterns? Ha ha. Should prove amusing.

ANGRYWOLF
12-14-2009, 01:54 AM
I think it means there will be a lot of grinding though as players try to find that special ingredient to upgrade their weapon to the max...

I assume there will be minigames where you can get some of those items as well...

:D

Raistlin
12-14-2009, 03:12 AM
A coat weapon? That changes colors and patterns with upgrades? *sigh*

It sounds fairly involved, though, which could be bad if it's annoying to do. Hopefully it's interesting and engaging.

NeoCracker
12-14-2009, 03:58 AM
My only question is do you only have one way to upgrade a weapon, or does it upgrade differently depending upon what you dump into it?

I certainly hope so, as you can find all sorts of fun weapons to use. :p

Skyblade
12-14-2009, 05:51 AM
My only question is do you only have one way to upgrade a weapon, or does it upgrade differently depending upon what you dump into it?

I certainly hope so, as you can find all sorts of fun weapons to use. :p

If so, it reminds me a lot of the weapon system in Shining Tears. It it is similar, it needs more variety, and to be a little more user-friendly.

VeloZer0
12-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Man, I HATED the upgrade system from FFVIII with a passion. Every single weapon shop I visited I didn't have the right plans/ingredients for the characters I used. I ended up going through the entire game with my original weapons. I try to explore/find treasure as I go through the game, but if I miss it I don't want to go back anywhere until the end of the game.
Customization in FFX, in comparison, was something interesting. A) Because it wasn't something you needed to do to keep up with damage, just make your weapons more useful. B) I actually had the stuff in my inventory to upgrade my weapons.

Hopefully they can strike a balance between having no weapon shops (one of the coolest parts about finding a new town is running to all the stores first and checking out the new stuff you can buy.), and having no chest rewards (aka FFXII where I just stopped looting chests by the end, finding a shinny new weapon in a chest is what makes going through a dungeon worthwhile!)

Moon Rabbits
12-14-2009, 06:43 PM
You should be able to apply any item to your weapons and have the result be procedurally generated. Unlimited weapons!

sir helix
12-14-2009, 10:03 PM
the shifting coat idea is very interesting to me, iv got a question about Fang's weapon, is it a scythe type weapon, a spear? what?

Psychotic
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Fang has a spear that can turn into this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansetsukon).

Wolf Kanno
12-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I always hate when games try to break away from try and true methods, especially since most tend to fail...

Not so wild about the Weapon system as it reminds me a wee too much of VIII's system and so I guess it will all depend on how much the weapon actually affects your battling abilities, if it is like VIII and X where customizing/upgrading equipment is trivial cause damage is based on your stats then I can already say I won't care for the system. If its more like 358/2 then all is well, as long as weapons are treated as actual factors as opposed to small pick me ups like they are in VIII and X.

The accessory system can go either way but once again, it bothers me that they don't mention armor so I get the feeling that once again this will be like VIII/X where stats are the only thing that matters and equipment is relegated to giving you abilities. I'm getting the sneaking suspension XIII might be "X 2.0" :shifty:

I don't like the fact that shops may play a smaller role cause I usually liked buying new equipment in towns and always look forward to seeing if I can get some real upgrades. Its up in the air for now but it almost seemed like they are trying to shy away from shops again in favor of winning collectibles from mini-games and missions.

I am looking forward to Mark Hunts coming back as they were some of the most enjoyable gaming experiences in XII for me.

Overall, I'm just concerned that equipment will once again be a non-entity and I can easily just blast through the game with starting equipment and eventually slap on an item that gives me auto-haste/life and then finish the game. I usually dislike when they try to reinvent equipment like this as equipment tends to factor in more strategy than just customizing abilites. Still, its too early to tell so I'm more ranting out of suspicion rather than decrying it before it comes out.

Rad Bromance
12-15-2009, 04:05 AM
A coat weapon? That changes colors and patterns with upgrades?

This game is now awesome. :D

Formalhaut
12-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Cool, Jazz It Up A Bit. Experiment. Why Travel Down A Well Beaten Path, Where You Could Take The More Interesting Route?

The Mark System Is Back From FFXII, Although No Boards. Ah Well. Repeatable Missions Sounds Fun Somehow.

Mmm This Screen Shot Is Missing Snow And Fang...

http://www.kotowari.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/poq1tqyz515x9ljoe3hh2t5gs12k8n62.jpg

Only 3 Stats, Talk About Cutting It Fine.

Also, That Mega Cactuar Looks Badass.

http://www.kotowari.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/brddxqjsx4asbqs3tikh4wrrvpy3cxa6.jpg

LunarWeaver
12-16-2009, 02:02 AM
I don't like it

Rodney
12-16-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure if I do, either.

Formalhaut
12-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Don't Be Too Cynical Before The Game Has Even Come Out! It May Turn Out To Be The Best Battle System Ever Made For FF. Give It A Chance At Least... :cool:

sir helix
12-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Cool, Jazz It Up A Bit. Experiment. Why Travel Down A Well Beaten Path, Where You Could Take The More Interesting Route?

The Mark System Is Back From FFXII, Although No Boards. Ah Well. Repeatable Missions Sounds Fun Somehow.

Mmm This Screen Shot Is Missing Snow And Fang...

http://www.kotowari.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/poq1tqyz515x9ljoe3hh2t5gs12k8n62.jpg

Only 3 Stats, Talk About Cutting It Fine.

Also, That Mega Cactuar Looks Badass.

http://www.kotowari.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/brddxqjsx4asbqs3tikh4wrrvpy3cxa6.jpg

YES the cactuar is back to normal, no more cactoids, now we just need moogles back to normal, y'know what, i want ff2 beavers instead, they ruled "kupo"