PDA

View Full Version : Cactuar ghost

Serapy
12-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Yet another Ghost in this game.

I`m talking about the ghost that you can acquire from the snowboarding game. Apparently, the English translators have forgotten to translate "? ? ?" on the menu when such an event occurs. I`m wondering what does it actually say in Japanese.

Also, if you didn`t know, there`s a similar cactuar ghost in FFX (Kimahri`s SideQUEST).

Darth Cid
12-14-2009, 08:52 PM
I think they just meant to portray ? ? ? as something mysterious like ???? being Rydia in FFIV before she comes onscreen in the Golbez fight. But perhaps due to climate changes, the snowboarding area was previously a desert area where Cactuars used to live.

Serapy
12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Whenever a field has no UNICODE support, and if you put Japanese text into that field, the text will output as non-characters, usually question marks.

seiferalmasy2
12-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will be adding the minigames to the translation and will tell you what it is supposed to say soon.

Darth Cid
12-15-2009, 02:16 PM
I think it was the base of a theory that the creature was a ghost of sorts which might work but only time will tell now that this retranslation is underway.

MJN SEIFER
12-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I've must have played this game over 9000 times, and I haven't a clue what your all on about! :Eek:

Could you elaborate on this "Cacutar Ghost", or better still send a picture of it?

seiferalmasy2
12-17-2009, 07:44 AM
The menu is in english, even in the japanese game. The ??? is intentional. Basically just telling you it is a secret.

Raistlin
12-17-2009, 12:15 PM
The OP mentions the snowboarding minigame. So I'm assuming that the "ghost" then is what you can see as you from previous races in order to race against?

seiferalmasy2
12-17-2009, 12:47 PM
The cactuar ghost is the ghost you get which shows your best performance in the speed run.

Here's the tough part: You must set a record of under 00'54''000 on the Beginner Course. If you succeed, start Time Attack mode and pause the game. Go to options and then ghost. You'll notice a new "? ? ?" option at the bottom. Select it and a running cactuar will replace the moogle. The ghost and your record can be saved on your file.

As I said, the ??? is intentional. The menu is in english even in the japanese game.