PDA

View Full Version : Very, very interesting article.

Sephex
12-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Musical Miscreants: Game Music That Sounds a Little Too Familiar from 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3177237)

I knew about a good portion of these, but some of them kind of blew my mind.

Jessweeee♪
12-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Hahahaha xD

Fynn
12-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Apart from the fact that the person that wrote this article actually has no idea about classical music (calling Carmina Burana an opera is just such a huge faux pas... Plus, One-Winged angel is only stylistically similar to it, but no more than so many other choral and orchestral pieces in popular music that want to be epic nowadays. :roll2), it is quite interresting. BoFIII struck me the most. I knew the forest theme sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now I know it was just plain plagiarism. The tracks are identical!

Jiro
12-15-2009, 01:13 PM
That was pretty interesting! I wonder how many more instances there are that we just haven't noticed. So long as it isn't obvious and sounds great then I don't mind :p

Slothy
12-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Some of those I've seen before, and certainly do sound like direct rip offs. Others were simply them making a bit of a stretch to lengthen the article though if you ask me. Either that or they really couldn't hear that some of those songs don't sound alike beyond some cursory similarities.

Skyblade
12-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Some of those I've seen before, and certainly do sound like direct rip offs. Others were simply them making a bit of a stretch to lengthen the article though if you ask me. Either that or they really couldn't hear that some of those songs don't sound alike beyond some cursory similarities.

Agreed. Some of them had clear similarities, and a couple were clear ripoffs, but others were just stupid comparisons.

sdm42393
12-18-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm surprised they didn't have Sviridov's Snow Storm right next to the Metal Gear Solid theme. Usually people jump all over that one.

Rad Bromance
12-20-2009, 01:44 AM
The only one's that really sound similar to me are Aeris' theme and that BOFIII song (seriously...they're identical) and the Chrono Trigger and Rick Astley song, which pleasantly surprised me. :D

It doesn't bother me in the least though.

Moon Rabbits
12-20-2009, 03:55 AM
So Chrono Trigger was one giant Rick Roll?!?!?!????????!!!!!!?

Slothy
12-20-2009, 01:08 PM
So Chrono Trigger was one giant Rick Roll?!?!?!????????!!!!!!?

The two don't actually sound the same if you listen carefully. At best it sounds like a similar melodic structure but at the very least they sound like they're in different keys to me. There are some overlapping notes in their mind you. My ear for melody isn't the best though, so perhaps someone with more experience playing by ear could confirm. The similarities don't really stretch past the intro either if you ask me.

Tokimadoushi
05-20-2010, 08:18 AM
There's a section from Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec (FFVIII) that sounds EXACTLY like a section from a Within Temptation song...I don't know the name of the song but it's from their first album, Enter. I am now compelled to find it...