PDA

View Full Version : FFTA: Best job for Montblanc?

JustAnotherCid
12-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Howdy. Just a quick question, I know "bests" are determined by what job you level, but it seems that in general Montblanc's initial stats and his progression lean strongly towards Magic. I am replaying from the beginning and all I would like to know is if I should even waste my time with the Thief class for him. He doesn't do any damage as a thief and constantly misses steal attempts. I know he could be levelled into it, but right now I'm thinking maybe he should just be a black mage from beginning to end.
(Side note: I like the Moogle black mage model, and my only regret is that Montblanc has a rather plain set model. But seeing as I've played it through before getting 1 of every class for every race, I really don't mind just stat whoring this time around, so I'd like a definitive answer, not an "it's all up to your playstyle" please.)

Skyblade
12-14-2009, 07:04 PM
In the original FFTA, it doesn't matter a ton, as he starts at a low enough level that just a few levels in another job will bring his stats up to fairly decent for that job. But you will not want to go straight through with one job for him. If you stick with just, say, Black Mage or Mog Knight the whole way, you will find that he will wind up too slow for you to do anything with. Switch a few Thief levels in there to keep his speed up with your other attackers.

Serene Sorrow
01-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Moogles in general got the worst stat growth, abilities, etc in this game. Montblanc is prolly one of the worse off Moogles, because his Speed is...horrible. Leveling him as just a mage (Speaking from experience) makes him about as slow as a Defender. I find it best to level him as a Black Mage, then his second ability be Time Mage. Every so often, take time to level him as a Thief for those extra Speed bonuses. Even if you somehow mess up his SPeed horribly, you still have the Time Mage's abilities like Haste to help out. Another good build is your Gunner/Mog Knight. The only thing the Mog Knight is useful for, is learning the Ultima attack, and his HP growth. Gunner would be your "major." I tend to have about 1 or 2 Moogles in this game, because they are...very weak. All the other Races outshine them. Thankfully, in FFTA2, they balance EVERYTHING out (Although, I think they did TOO much balancing.)

ANGRYWOLF
01-04-2010, 04:50 AM
I usually switch my characters between different jobs as they level up and don't leave them permanently on any one job and it tends to work out.

I do a lot of random battles to build them up as well as send them out on dispatch missions so they tend to be able to dodge and overwhelm the enemies on the storyline missions.

:)

Skyblade
01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Moogles in general got the worst stat growth, abilities, etc in this game. Montblanc is prolly one of the worse off Moogles, because his Speed is...horrible. Leveling him as just a mage (Speaking from experience) makes him about as slow as a Defender. I find it best to level him as a Black Mage, then his second ability be Time Mage. Every so often, take time to level him as a Thief for those extra Speed bonuses. Even if you somehow mess up his SPeed horribly, you still have the Time Mage's abilities like Haste to help out. Another good build is your Gunner/Mog Knight. The only thing the Mog Knight is useful for, is learning the Ultima attack, and his HP growth. Gunner would be your "major." I tend to have about 1 or 2 Moogles in this game, because they are...very weak. All the other Races outshine them. Thankfully, in FFTA2, they balance EVERYTHING out (Although, I think they did TOO much balancing.)

I would agree on the worst stat growths, but not on worst abilities. Moogles get some very powerful abilities, and certainly are not in a bottom tier of their own. While they aren't as good at straight out damage as the other races (Ultima Charge + Gunner lets them hold their own, because of the extra range, but their attacks still aren't tops), their manipulative abilities are some of the best in the game. Charmshot, Stopshot, Ring, Dagger, Smile, Cuisine, 100% Wool... They get a boatload of abilties that can help out a ton.