PDA

View Full Version : Bored... Guess XIII's Rating?

Formalhaut
12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Seeing How Im Bored And FFXIII Is Looming Ever Closer To Japan Rather Than USA And Europe (Awww Hurry Up!) We Might As Well guess Its Score Or Rating On Sites Like Gamespot And Such.

Anyway, Care To Guess? Anyone Who Guesses Right Wins A Prize!

Theres Two Ratings...

Theres Singular Rating, Which Is By One Site Or Mag Like Gamespot

Then Theres Aggregators Like Metacritic And Gamerankings

You May Think Its Abit Early, But Just Guess! Take Into Account How The Reviewer Will React To New Stuff And Guess His Reactions To The Story, Or At Least As Much As We Have Been Told. Also!

New Battle System
New Weapon Upgrade System
Slightly Changed Mark System
Cyrstarium System (Abit Like FFX, See Wikipedia)
Summons And Gestalt Mode
Characters And Thier Relations To Each Other
The Music
Hype

Go Guess Scores! Just In Case Your Wondering...

Gamespot Is Out Of 10

Metacritic/GameRankings Is Out Of 100.

Do Your Best! Theres The Coveted Peach Of Happiness And A Cookie!

Sword
12-16-2009, 06:11 PM
I'd say It'd be a 9 or a 10 out of 10, considering that's what most reviews gave FFX back in the day.

LunarWeaver
12-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Gamespot will be 9.5, Metacritic will be 94. Random number guess! 1UP will probably give it a 3.

JKTrix
12-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Considering 1UP doesn't use numbers, it will be hilarious if your prediction actually comes true.

Formalhaut
12-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Lol.

Anyway, heres My Scores...

Gamespot Would Probably Be 9.5. Im Not Optimistic Enough To Give It A 10.

Metacritic... 90-95. Again, Not Optimistic Enough To Go Higher.

Croyles
12-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Edge will give it a 6 out of 10

silentenigma
12-17-2009, 11:05 PM
8.5 from Gamespot, son.

Depression Moon
12-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Isn't the game already out in Japan? There are reviews for it already and some Japanese guy was giving a stream of his playthrough last night.

demondude
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM
The fan reception hasn't been good, I quote:

"The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].

There are hardly any towns.

The party is always fixed. The whole game just repeats the movie-battle sequence over and over [In fact the progression is closer to movie-run-battle-run-movie-boss-movie-run-battle…].

There are rather a lot of movies.

Moving around is like a long marathon.

The whole game system is just a clone of FF10.

You can’t flee battles [You can’t avoid most battles either as there is no sneaking past enemies, including weak ones].

Your party is completely healed after each battle.

If the main character in your party dies it is game over [There are only ever 3 characters in battle, often less, and often fixed].

The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.

The summons’ transformation scenes are a joke [i.e. Odin turning into a horse].

The story is rubbish… [Spoilers omitted, but complaints centre on Snow’s constant and cringe inducing insistence that he is a hero and will “protect” whatever it is the antagonists are menacing this time]

Shopping is only done at “online” shops on save points, with no proper shops to be found.

However, this doesn’t matter as you hardly ever get any money [and you can never buy anything more powerful than what you already looted].

There have been next to no changes from the demo.

The status screen displays no real information.

There are only 8 items usable in combat [For that matter, there are hardly any weapons or accessories, and the “crafting” system mostly consists of spending drops to upgrade their 2 stats].

There are no levels."

Croyles
12-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Good according to him:

1UP's RPG Blog : Final Fantasy XIII: Optimizing My Paradigm (http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9013668)

It's funny, but the part of the Final Fantasy XIII demo that had me most worried about is the part of the game I ultimately find I like best: The combat system. I couldn't help it -- it was so limited! -- even though I knew at the time I shouldn't have been too concerned. A weird quirk of the Final Fantasy series is that its intricate battle mechanics make the opening hours of the games -- the sections before you're given access to all your abilities and techniques -- terribly dull. Final Fantasy V is a slog until you get the first crystal and unlock jobs; FFVI does at least give every character a unique command right out of the gate, but it's still pretty repetitive until you meet up with the Espers; FFVIII is incredibly simplistic until you can junction; FFXII drags until you can build gambits.

Little surprise, then, that FFXIII is exactly the same way -- and the demo was based on the opening minutes of the game, well before you're granted access to the real battle system. But once you lean to use Paradigm Shifts (Optima Changes in the Japanese version), the real game begins... well, in battle, anyway.

Believe it or not, FFXIII's battle mechanics really are an evolution of all the battle systems from the series' PlayStation 2 chapters. Supposedly the team's real ambition was to create battles that felt as dramatic as the brawls in Advent Children, but fortunately they drew upon the series' heritage (i.e., videogames) to achieve that cinematic aim. Like I said in my preview, there's a lot of FFX-2 here: The pacing, the overlapping actions, the need for teamwork, the ability to change classes immediately in the thick of battle. But FFXIII also incorporates the need for strategy that I loved in FFX and a tactical element of indirect party control similar to FFXII.

It's interesting to see reactions to FFXIII by people who haven't yet played the game, because the response to things like our hands-on preview and impressions posted on various Internet forums is overwhelmingly negative. Yet the actual experience of FFXIII is pretty damn positive, even if the structure of the game is maddeningly linear. I'm really not too happy about the world design, which is basically one long corridor, but I'll be damned if the fights that take place in that tube of a universe aren't some of the best I've ever seen in any game with "Final Fantasy" in the title.

FFXIII does not reward complacency. It does not allow you to spam fight-fight-heal. Sure, the early battles don't require much thought, but once the game makes Paradigm Shifts available, all bets are off. You'll quickly begin meeting foes who can only be taken down with well-considered strategies, and not just the bosses; you'll have to adjust your tactics on the fly to account for the special defenses and abilities of plenty of cannon fodder mooks, too. Relying on the safe trio of Attacker/Blaster/Healer will only get you so far; sure, you probably won't have to worry about dying if someone in your party is set to work as a permanent healer, but some foes just can't be beaten unless you pour on the offense or the debuffs. And since the level of your efficiency in battle determines how quickly your valuable Tech Points are refilled, it's a pretty dumb idea to chip away at a high-defense foe for one percent of its max HP per round.

The first major boss you battle after gaining access to Paradigm Shifts initially seems like a pushover, despite spamming powerful group attacks: I wiped the floor with it in practically no time. But then the second phase of the battle begins, and the boss trades its high-pressure offensive skills for a more balanced defense. The only way to beat it with anything like efficiency is to force it into a Break state in which your party's damage output is multiplied several times. Of course, you always want to break enemies whenever possible, but it's trickier here; in the boss's initial state, its frequent attacks stun the party, giving its break gauge time to reset to zero. Once it enters the second phase of battle, though, it attacks less violently and less frequently, so it's possible to push it steadily toward the breaking point.

For the first sequence, it's essential to keep a Healer in the party to help recover from those constant attacks. Once you enter phase two, however, the boss's only major attack is a gravity bomb that hits the entire party for about half their hit points -- it's powerful, but it requires several rounds of recharge time before the boss can use it again. An ideal strategy here is to keep the party set to three Blasters -- offensive mages whose attacks have a high impact on the break gauge -- to build the boss's break gauge as high as possible while it's in its defensive phase. When it launches the gravity bomb, it's smart to switch to a Blaster/Blaster/Healer arrangement to allow your team to keep up the pressure while recovering from the big attack. And once the boss enters a Break state, it's wise to have main character Lightning switch her role to Attacker in order to make the most of its weakened defenses, while support character Sahz continues to attack as a Blaster and Vanille alternates between healing and blasting as needed.

Paradigm Shifts are basically a way to switch tactics between the various modes of action seen in every Final Fantasy. But there are a few unique wrinkles in FFXIII that allow the game to raise the stakes in a way that's decidedly rare in this series. For starters, there's no such thing as a Magic Point. Instead, every action a character takes requires a point of the Active Time Battle meter; a spell like Thunder costs one point, the same as a physical strike, while crowd-control techniques may cost two or three points. This equalizes the cost of magic and spells; there's no worry about recharging MP, and there's not even a need to worry about healing after the battle, since HP is recharged once the fight ends. And so, fights can be tricky. Effect spells that used to be cost too many MP to have any real value in Final Fantasy's throwaway battles -- be it Slow or Poison or whatever -- are no longer too expensive. Battles have therefore been balanced almost more like those from a Shin Megami Tensei game, where every fight could be the end for an unwary player unless they employ the proper tactics. Despite the more action-oriented feel of battle, it's not superficial. It's not mindless. It's not shallow. On the contrary, it's meaty and involving.

As someone who lives for good, challenging RPGs, this discovery pleases me.

I know a lot of people are freaking out about the fact that your support characters are AI-controlled, and that's actually kind of funny. This may be something new to Final Fantasy (disregarding the entire existence of FFXII, of course), but it's hardly a new idea for the genre. Ever played a BioWare game? How about Persona 3? Dragon Quest IV? Seriously, you guys gotta stop panicking about trivial things.

There's still more to battle that I haven't touched on, believe it or not. Tech abilities, for instance: They draw on a separate, unique meter (the TP meter, don't you know) and consist of highly specialized abilities -- mainly summoning Eidolons, but also casting certain Paradigm-independent spells like Libra. The higher your combat rating for each battle, the faster your TP meter recharges. There's also the Crystarium, which is basically FFX's Sphere Grid, except prettier.

But then, everything in FFXIII is prettier. Looks alone don't count for much... but fortunately, I'm finding the game does have a lot of substance where it really counts. Now that I've unlocked all the classes, I'm hoping combat becomes even trickier. This quest may or may not end up being a straight line to the very end, but at least the points along the way are becoming interesting.

Formalhaut
12-21-2009, 07:16 PM
I Loved That Review

VeloZer0
12-22-2009, 01:45 AM
I would imagine with anything people feel as strongly about as a numbered FF entry there will be very divergent reviews. Case in point, FFXII. Some people ranted about how it was the best thing since sliced bread, and how others ranted about how it was a very mediocre/poor entry to the series.

Skyblade
12-22-2009, 08:19 AM
That was one of the best reviews I've read (in terms of analysis and quality), and he did it all without plot spoilers. Bravo.

Sefie1999AD
12-28-2009, 02:05 PM
GameSpot will probably give FFXIII something like 8.4/10. They won't give a 10 unless they're rating a Zelda game or something (or Chrono Cross). xD I don't know what kind of ratings FF games are usually getting at Metacritic, but my wild guess would be 91/100 for FFXIII.

The fan reception hasn't been good, I quote:

"The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].

There are hardly any towns.

The party is always fixed. The whole game just repeats the movie-battle sequence over and over [In fact the progression is closer to movie-run-battle-run-movie-boss-movie-run-battle…].

There are rather a lot of movies.

Moving around is like a long marathon.

The whole game system is just a clone of FF10.

You can’t flee battles [You can’t avoid most battles either as there is no sneaking past enemies, including weak ones].

Your party is completely healed after each battle.

If the main character in your party dies it is game over [There are only ever 3 characters in battle, often less, and often fixed].

The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.

The summons’ transformation scenes are a joke [i.e. Odin turning into a horse].

The story is rubbish… [Spoilers omitted, but complaints centre on Snow’s constant and cringe inducing insistence that he is a hero and will “protect” whatever it is the antagonists are menacing this time]

Shopping is only done at “online” shops on save points, with no proper shops to be found.

However, this doesn’t matter as you hardly ever get any money [and you can never buy anything more powerful than what you already looted].

There have been next to no changes from the demo.

The status screen displays no real information.

There are only 8 items usable in combat [For that matter, there are hardly any weapons or accessories, and the “crafting” system mostly consists of spending drops to upgrade their 2 stats].

There are no levels."

That's pretty much what I've feared. It sounds like the game resembles FFVIII and FFX, two titles I'm not really fond of at all. I'd like something more advanced than an endless sequence of movies and battles. :p

ANGRYWOLF
12-28-2009, 02:58 PM
The question is which one is closest to being factual.

I would have designed the game differently than it appears.

I think with the power of the PS3 we expected more.Particularly when it came to parties, towns, npcs, etc etc.

The linearity issue if it exists is a problem for Square.Maybe if they had retained some of the folks they let go or whom they no longer utilize, including some who worked on nonlinear aspects of the Ogre battle series they could have diversified the game more.

We'll see when the English language version comes how the fans respond.

nirojan
01-07-2010, 12:40 AM
probably a 8/10, mabey a 9/10 if an RPG-nut on the site is reviewing it.