PDA

View Full Version : North American Box Art...

Rad Bromance
12-17-2009, 01:48 AM
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/radbromance/Video%20Games/FF13_front_PS3small.jpg http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/radbromance/Video%20Games/FF13_front_XBOX360small.jpg

This will also serve as the European version's cover.

What do you think about it? I find it rather...uninteresting. I think past FFs have had prettier fronts! :D

Flying Mullet
12-17-2009, 01:52 AM
I think they're relying on the name of Final Fantasy to attract buyers and they aren't as worried about the box art.

Bolivar
12-17-2009, 02:11 AM
Kind of awkward almost compared to other titles, except for maybe XII. I know with Metal Gear 4 they showed his face to let you know how detailed the game was and how, well, old he was (still with attitude) but I don't really get that from this.

I'm really jealous of the Japanese. Just a white cover with the logo, I really like that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/hansuramu/purchase/SSL21933.jpg

Rantz
12-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Ah, yeah. The composition is really awkward. :x Japanese one is so much nicer.

Raistlin
12-17-2009, 02:27 AM
I don't even understand caring about box art. I mean, I guess really good ones are nice to look at, but the other 95% of them just don't matter.

Rad Bromance
12-17-2009, 02:32 AM
I don't even understand caring about box art. I mean, I guess really good ones are nice to look at, but the other 95% of them just don't matter.
It's not something I particularly care about, per se. Like, I'm not going to choose whether to play a game or not based on the box art. But there are some that are really cool and some that are really bad. :D

This is neither though.

Jessweeee♪
12-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Just put a pretty girl on there and the name Final Fantasy and that's all you'll need to attract customers!

Aydin
12-17-2009, 03:53 AM
It looks AWESOME!!! :D

But I agree, it's just not that great. It's one of those pieces of art that just doesn't strike any emotion inside of me. Just "OMG! FFXIII!!"

VeloZer0
12-17-2009, 04:20 AM
Japanese box art certainly looks more dignified. Ultimately that is the style I like the most, but the NA one doesn't look bad by any means.

Psychotic
12-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Are you sure that's going to be the European style? All our numbered FF games so far have been like the ones Bolivar posted, with just the logo on a white background.

Rodney
12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Don't mind the North American one too much, but yeah, I prefer the Japanese one, too.

Wolf Kanno
12-17-2009, 07:18 PM
I usually prefer the Japanese Box Art but this one is by know means terrible, I usually hate when they just slap most of the cast in their official artwork on a cover a la' FFVIII, IX, and non-special edition XII.

I usually prefer minimalist/ Amano art over flashy group photos. The cover pretty much works for me. ;)

Fynn
12-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Are you sure that's going to be the European style? All our numbered FF games so far have been like the ones Bolivar posted, with just the logo on a white background.

QFT. European box arts are usually identical to the Japanese ones. Why would this one be different?

black orb
12-17-2009, 08:03 PM
>>> What?! The Ps3 and the Xbox 360 covers are the same? Boycott!! Boycoooooott!!!.:luca:

Formalhaut
12-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Don't Start All That Again...

Anyway, Yeah, All The FF Games Ive Owned In The UK Has The Minimilist Brilliance Of The Japanese Version.

Poor America... Why Must They Put A Massive Picture Of Lightning On There... You Don't Have To Do That. Just The Logo Nicely Planted Would Be Just As Effective And Less In Your Face.

Bolivar
12-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Unfortunately that is going to be the European Boxart

http://talkplaystation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/european_final_fantasy_xiii_boxart.jpg

European Final Fantasy XIII Boxart - Talk Playstation (http://talkplaystation.com/european-final-fantasy-xiii-boxart/)

Not sure why, but with a simultaneous release date I think Square is now officially putting you all in the same boat as us!

I don't think any of us "care" about box art, it's like you said - it's a nice thing when a really good one comes out. Makes you jealous sometimes, ya know?

Rad Bromance
12-18-2009, 03:20 AM

Yep. (http://thecbook.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/final-fantasy-xiii-european-cover-art-revealed/) :)

Psychotic
12-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Nooooo :cry: Oh well, thanks for confirming it guys.
Not sure why, but with a simultaneous release date I think Square is now officially putting you all in the same boat as us!Still, boxart like that is worth us finally being equal to North America. I hated hearing everyone here talk about XII while we were still waiting for it.

black orb
12-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Yep. (http://thecbook.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/final-fantasy-xiii-european-cover-art-revealed/) :)
>>> Boycott!! Boycoooooott!!!.:luca:

Rantz
12-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Excellent one comment to that article, on a sidenote.

Rodarian
12-20-2009, 01:21 PM
I've never liked the american version of the box for most games.... Looking at FXIII supports my opinion.

sir helix
12-21-2009, 04:59 AM
this case has a lot of leg action, is SE selling off of the lust of little horny boys now or what?

BustaMo
12-26-2009, 01:27 AM
The artwork seems pretty, bland I'd say. I mean in past games, sure the main characters has been on it like FFX, but it had Tidus in a background setting like the Besaid Sea, instead of just pressed up against a white background like this one.

I think Squenix could have done it a bit better, but it does make it look more like how European and Japanese covers usually look like.

eestlinc
12-27-2009, 05:06 PM
this case has a lot of leg action, is SE selling off of the lust of little horny boys now or what?

yea, what is up with the gratuitous panty shot? Belto Maxson (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-archive/69054-lulu.html#post1287257) saves us from even more of a crotch view.

Rostum
12-28-2009, 02:02 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it from a design perspective. It's nice and balanced, good use of colour and space, and is clean.

Of course I prefer the simple white box with just the title art, but this isn't bad either. At least it's better than previous American box art for the series (so glad that Australia get the same box art as Japan, of course in English).

Vyk
12-28-2009, 08:49 AM
I like how the 360 gets more leg...

Chloe.
12-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm a little disappointed to hear that we're not having the same cover as the Japanese this time, but the other one isn't exactly horrible. But then it doesn't really matter what it looks like really, to be honest.

vinnie's mini's
12-29-2009, 10:41 PM
To be honest I'm not really worried what the box art looks like as long as its enjoyable to play it doesn't matter. Besides, I don't think it looks that bad anyway :omghey:

charliepanayi
12-29-2009, 10:44 PM
I think it looks pretty good to be honest. I do like the way previous European editions have done it, with just the name and logo, but this looks OK.

I Don't Need A Name
12-29-2009, 10:53 PM
I like how the 360 gets more leg...

It's the only way to attract the fools who bought a 360 to play a Playstations game ;)

arcanedude34
12-29-2009, 11:23 PM
She looks mildly constipated and as though she hasn't washed her hair in weeks. :(

VeloZer0
12-29-2009, 11:38 PM
I would imagine throught the course of the game she wouldn't be washing her hair for weeks at a time.

And maybe moving from Cocoon to Pulse has a steeper learning curve than we imagine, like learning to boil the water first.

Rostum
12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
She looks mildly constipated and as though she hasn't washed her hair in weeks. :(

So she fits in with the target demograph?

P4ine
12-30-2009, 02:03 AM
Too bad it's gonna serve for the European cover as well as I liked the European ones the way they were, namely like the japanese ones: only the logo on a white background.

Mirage
12-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Too bad we didn't get the classic logo on white background stuff.

Psychotic
12-30-2009, 04:39 PM
This is much more worthy of a boycott than "Oh no, Xbox 360 caused me to lose Japanese subtitles!" or whatever it is those people are complaining about. :greenie:

ANGRYWOLF
12-30-2009, 05:01 PM
at some point I guess we can safely assume they will have different box art.

We still don't know yet (do we ?) if there will be those versions and if there are how they will differ from the regular game.

:)

Mirage
12-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Doesn't make much sense to call them "PAL" versions when they aren't locked to regions anymore :p.

I'm not interested in purchasing the same game twice, or waiting forever just for a new boxart.

VeloZer0
12-30-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm not interested in purchasing the same game twice

Oh, but I can assure you there are people who are.

ANGRYWOLF
12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
would have some additional content, such as what happened with FFX.
Penance and the dark aeons.

So it wouldn't be exactly the same game as the regular release.

:)

Psychotic
12-30-2009, 07:49 PM
The Dark Aeons were nowhere near worth paying full release price if you already had the game.

Besides, I think any extra content like the Dark Aeons will come through DLC (and Square have hinted at XIII DLC) rather than any additional versions.

ANGRYWOLF
12-30-2009, 07:59 PM
new content appearing via DLC.

You may also be right about the game not worth it, to be purchased twice although I suspect some fans did buy FFX twice when the other versions became available.

I think the box art for the International versions was different than the regular FFX box art. That might have been the primary motivation for some fans to buy the International version.

We'll see what Square says down the road.

The box art for NA doesn't impress me very much.

Mirage
12-30-2009, 11:53 PM
FFX International is probably best described as a "directors cut", the PAL release just happened to be based on this version. Most people wouldn't get a directors cut of a movie they already had unless they liked it realllly well, and that's most likely the case with video games too.

Skyblade
01-01-2010, 07:47 AM
FFX International is probably best described as a "directors cut", the PAL release just happened to be based on this version. Most people wouldn't get a directors cut of a movie they already had unless they liked it realllly well, and that's most likely the case with video games too.

Like Lord of the Rings... :)

But I'm not sure Square-Enix is going to release the extras as DLC. That would go against their whole "screw everyone outside Japan" mentality...

Rad Bromance
01-01-2010, 04:58 PM
"screw everyone outside Japan" mentality...
You do realize the whole reason those International/Final Mix/etc versions get released in Japan is because the North American releases typically have added content that Japan's original version didn't have so they get that stuff and more, right? Sephiroth in KH and the weapons in FFVII are examples of this (they weren't in the original Japanese versions).

nirojan
01-07-2010, 12:57 AM
yeah the jap cover is better...waaaay bettter.

ohh well i bought a PS3 for GOW3, this game and a possible FFVII remake. so Im getting it nevertheless....no matter how crappy the cover looks!

I Took the Red Pill
01-07-2010, 02:33 AM
I like the cover.

RedPouch
01-07-2010, 05:08 AM
For some reason on this cover she really reminds me of Alice from the Resident Evil movies. Is it just me or does anybody else see what I'm talking about?

Vyk
01-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Mila Jovovich did have kinda reddish hair in those movies. And she's always got an intense look to her. I could see a corrolation

I Don't Need A Name
01-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Victory for Europe.
If you get the Collectors Edition, it seems it comes in a slipcase with the Japanese cover!

qwertysaur
01-27-2010, 07:16 AM
If you don't like the cover art you can find a high resolution of the Japanese cover art, print it out and change it yourself :p

VeloZer0
01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
If you don't like the cover art you can find a high resolution of the Japanese cover art, print it out and change it yourself :p

You just brought the whole discussion crashing down. I feel embarrassed that something like this never occurred to me :D (Not that I was taking this all that seriously in the first place.)

LunarWeaver
01-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Hot chick looking like a badass that lets boys fap to Cloud without feeling guilty. Exactly what I would do.

Roogle
01-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Historically, I have preferred the Japanese box art to the North American box art. I understand the marketing behind the North American box art, so I cannot completely fault Square Enix with choosing a different box art for the North American release.

qwertysaur
01-28-2010, 08:11 AM

You just brought the whole discussion crashing down. I feel embarrassed that something like this never occurred to me :D (Not that I was taking this all that seriously in the first place.)
:shobon: