PDA

View Full Version : Help a Gamer out...

Wolf Kanno
12-17-2009, 06:10 AM
So the family is bugging me for a wish list and as usual this time of year I feel generally content from where I stand with my gaming collection. Yet they insist I give them a list. So I'm asking the good people of EoFF to help me compile a list of awesomness that WK needs to play.

The consoles in question are the PS2, Wii, DS and PSP. I've also been contemplating asking for gift cards so I may acquire a 360 or PS3 more easily in the future but for now let's stick with the above four consoles please. My favorite genres are RPGs (no Tales games please), Fighting games, action/adventure, Puzzle, Music/Rhythm, and quirky titles that are just weird. You may want to shy away from the PS2 as I'm pretty content with grabbing most of what I want for it but I'll still take suggestions.

I don't have many titles on the DS,PSP, and Wii so you can go crazy more or less with them. Thank you for your suggestions in advance.

Rostum
12-17-2009, 06:23 AM
How about the two Zelda games for the DS? Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. I have only played Phantom Hourglass, but I loved it and the new one looks great too.

I am quite a fan of Pataon for the PSP, perhaps you could grab the second one. Though I haven't played the second one. Still I recommend it if you haven't tried it out before. There's also Little Big Planet that just came out for the PSP, which I planned on getting eventually.

If you have an iPhone / iPod Touch. You could check out this fairly awesome game coming out in a day or so called Train Conductor (http://www.thevoxelagents.com/trainconductor/). No this is not shameless self promotion at all. >.>; I just worked on the art for it; it's quite an addictive game.

Slothy
12-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Let's see, I'll avoid RPG's because to be perfectly honest I think you've played more than I have in the last decade.

Fighting Games: There are a number available. The most recent versions of Guilty Gear are on the PS2, Wii, and PSP. You can get any of the Street Fighter Alpha games on the PSP (though I think only Alpha 3 was specifically released for it, the others are on the PSN as PS One classics).

Action/Adventure: I'll go with Little Big Planet on the PSP. I just woke up so I can't think of any others at the moment.

Puzzle games: I'd probably only recommend Echochrome off of the top of my head, but it's a PSN only game. Can't really think of any others either.

Music/Rhythm: You may already have it, but if you don't then get Parappa the Rapper.

JKTrix
12-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Since you're not gonna be spending money on these, I can bee a little freer with my recommendations. Not all of these are 'awesome' games, but at least have something recommendable and worth playing about them.

Colour/Symbol Coded, since it's just a wall of text otherwise.
RPG - Action - Fighting - Puzzle - Rhythm - Quirky
No colour/symbol means I couldn't decide what genre it is.

Wii:
Marble Saga Kororinpa, Klonoa, Trauma Center 2nd Opinion/New Blood, Punch-Out!!, Zack & Wiki, Boom Blox/Bash Party. Also a bunch of 'Nintendo Points' cards, there's a great collection of Virtual Console and WiiWare games that you can get into. I'll maybe list some of those if you get the points cards :p

DS:
Rhythm Heaven, Dragon Quest 4/5, Knights in the Nightmare, Shiren the Wanderer, Bangai-O Spirits, both Layton games, Planet Puzzle League, Ace Attorney series (although 1-3 are supposed to be coming to WiiWare), Hotel Dusk, Mario & Luigi: Bowser (not so much 'Partners in Time'), Front Mission, Super Dodgeball Brawlers, Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure, Mega Man Star Force 3 (I kind of ignored the EXE/Battle Network series after the 4th one, picked up the 3rd 'Star Force' on a whim and it's pretty good), Peggle, Phantasy Star Zero, SMT Devil Survivor if you don't have it already, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier, The Dark Spire, Trauma Center 2, Valkyrie Profile, Ninjatown

PSP:
PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe (if you're not sick of Tower Defense games), Echochrome, Phantasy Star Portable, Jeanne d'Arc, Yggdra Union, Half Minute Hero, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite if you can ever actually play with people.

PS2:
R.A.D. - Robot Alchemic Drive, Yakuza 2 (More RPG than not), Zone of the Enders 2, SMT Digital Devil Saga series if you don't have it. Arcana Heart for the laughs.

Separate section for imports even though they probably can't get it
PSP: Hatsune Miku Project Diva, Macross Ultimate Frontier, Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus

DS: Jump Ultimate Stars, Ouendan 2, Daigasso! Band Brothers DX.

DS and PSP can play Japanese games without a problem (generally), and if you *do* manage to get any of those, I can totally help you understand them.

Badge
12-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Loco Roco is the BEST game ever for PSP *opinion*

Bolivar
12-17-2009, 09:22 PM
PSP - Pixel Junk Monsters Deluxe is a wonderful little title and a good gateway drug to the Pixel Junk series on PSN for PS3 if you go that route. It's got a great art style, the music is fun, and it's incredibly challenging as you go on. It doesn't neatly fit into any of your categories (except maybe quirky, and puzzle since it can require a lot of thinking) but I highly recommend it, especially as a portable game.

LBP is also supposed to be very good and you may or may not like Assassin's Creed Bloodlines.

I'm not sure if you stay up on PSN titles, but FFVII, FFT are up on the Playstation Store, FFVIII is coming and Vagrant Story might, but you can get it by making a European account. These are all games I'd like to put on the PSP, as well as Harvest Moon Boy & Girl.

DS - DQIV I can personally vouch for and I'm sure DQV is just as good. Also, I'm not sure if you ever got FFXII Revenant Wings, if not you should really check it out.

I know you're not asking for it, but you can probably already guess that you really need to play Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls, I'm assuming you'd be into Disgaea 3 as well. White Knight Chronicles: International Edition is coming out in February, and Final Fantasy XIII and Yakuza 3 are in March. 3d Dot Heroes is in May. Just saying.

Wolf Kanno
12-17-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't have a PS3 but a friend of mine gave me a sweet deal to let me experience the few 360 games I want to play on his 360 on the condition that I buy a PS3 instead, so I am looking in the market for that; but that will be after holidays so suggestions from there are good to hear too. :D

Thank you to everyone who has made suggestions so far, I sent my list to the people who need it but I'll still take suggestions since lord knows most of my reletive will scratch their heads in wonderment and just give me money or gift cards. After Holiday shopping is still the best.

Depression Moon
12-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Action/Adventure: I'll go with Little Big Planet on the PSP. I just woke up so I can't think of any others at the moment.

LBP is a platformer at its basic core.

I don't have any of those systems, but I can reccommend based off of the general public.

For Wii: New Super Mario Bros. Wii, A Boy and His Blob, Punch-Out, Muramasa the Demon Blade

PSP: Soul Calibur Broken Destiny, Half Minute Heroes

DS: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks, Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story, Pokemon Platinum, Nostalgia, Professor Layton

Freya
12-18-2009, 01:05 AM
PS2 For the few FF games and for katamari damachi! :D

Rostum
12-18-2009, 01:29 AM
DS: Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story

Definitely want to get this.

Slothy
12-18-2009, 01:58 AM

LBP is a platformer at its basic core.

I realize that, but ten minutes after I had woken up I couldn't think of anything even remotely closer to an Action/Adventure game on the PSP. I still can't to be honest, so I'll stick with LBP. Odds are since Wolf Kanno hasn't lived under a rock the last two years he knew what LBP was all about on the PS3 and assumed it would be similar on the PSP.

Wolf Kanno
12-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Well I do live under a rock... specifically a cave in the north lands except in the summer where I move to a little shack under a bridge. :mamu:

But yeah, I know all about LBP, another title I'm actually curious to play.

Slothy
12-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Definitely check it out, either for PSP or the PS3 if you end up getting one. It's one of the best platformers I've played in years, and possibly my favourite game from 2008. Not many titles come along that are that fun and innovative at the same time.

Bolivar
12-18-2009, 02:52 PM
actually, has anyone mentioned "Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do to Deserve This?" for the PSP?

That actually fills quite a few requirements for ya, Wolf, it's a puzzle game with an RPG-esque story, and it's kinda quirky, too, as you can guess from the title.

Wolf Kanno
12-18-2009, 08:07 PM
It wasn't mentioned but I requested it anyway. :D

JKTrix
12-19-2009, 01:07 AM
I own Badman, but it was a little too much for me when I played it. Which is why I left it off my list. Maybe I'll give it another shot during the break

PSP: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks

I find your opinions flawed by perspective a lot of the time, but *wow*. (A simple mistake, just jokin wit ya. Also, '3 minute Heroes' is the Half-Minute Heroes I mentioned. Maybe you were thinking of 30 Second Hero, which is the original/Japanese name for it)