PDA

View Full Version : rank your favorite FF and KH games

reinward
12-18-2009, 01:11 AM
of the ones you've played

including KH because it has FF characters

spin-offs not included (crisis core, x-2, etc)

1. FF 9
2. FF 10
3. FF tactics
4. FF 12
5. FF 7
6. FF 8

I know a lot of people dont like FF X because its so linear but i thought the plot was absolutely incredible in that game.

9 was just the complete package IMO. atmosphere, AMAZING soundtrack, characters, story

8 was the only one i actually did not like

1. FF 9. that game is just perfect to me. the atmosphere, the pacing, the story, the soundtrack, the dialogue it all just FEELS so right.

2. FF 10. I dont know why i love this game so much. i know its painfully linear and i know that the sidequests are god awful. Its just so damn EMOTIONAL. I just can relate to Tidus so well. I just freakin love Spira

3. Kingdom Hearts 2. I love this game. This game just has MAD style. It just has such a mysterious epic feel to it. I love all the dramatic flashbacks. The dialogue is painfully cheesy and the story is kinda confusing but visting all the Disney worlds is just so much fun and Kairi is the the freakin hottest thing ever in her school girl uniform xD

4. FF 12. Man...... this game had sooooo much potential. I really liked the battle system. random encounters were hella annoying. I loved the world of Ivalice. The voice acting was awesome. The art direction was phenominal. I actually really liked the story but it just felt so downplayed. I never really connected with any of the characters until really late in the game (Pharos). This game could have been one of the best if not for the god awful pacing although its ending is probablly my favorite of all FFs.

5. Kingdom Hearts- I really liked this game, but i just feel that KH2 took everything this game did and made it 5x better.

6. FF7. Good game but not nearly as good as everyone claims. None of the main cast really interested me except for Cid who was awesome. Didn't really like the materia system although i though it was cool how they incorporated it into the story. Sephiroth was boring to me. I just found his whole stroyline about Jenova and all that stuff to be pretty lame. Shinra and Rufus is what saved this game to me. I always looked forward to their scenes. The Music was good, but honestly, nothing really stands out to me.

7. FF8. Didn't mind Junctioning, but drawing was a pain. Boring characters, boring music, boring atmosphere, contrived and cheesy love plot. Felt like this game had its head so far up its own @ss about how great it was, but i really wasn't. This is the only FF game that I can honestly say I didn't like.

these are all the ones I've played. thoughts? rank your favorites?

Rantz
12-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Moved to General Final Fantasy since it concerns several titles. For me it goes something along the lines of:

7/8 about equally

Only counting the ones I completed.

Shadowdust
12-18-2009, 02:20 AM
1. FFVIII
2. FFVI
3. FFX
4. FFVII
5. FFIV
6. FFIX
7. FFXII
8. FFV
9. FFII
10. FFIII
11. FFI

Even though I ranked these, it doesn't mean I dislike any. Even FFI holds a special place for me since it was my first. It was my first menu RPG that allowed me to see my characters attack with different weapons. Before that, it was just good old Dragon Warrior. Anyway, my point is that even with ranking, they're all #1 to me in one way or another.

Raistlin
12-18-2009, 02:24 AM
FFT
FF7
FF6
FF12
FF9/5
etc.

the AJman
12-18-2009, 03:23 AM
I'll rate my top five

1. FFXII
2. FFVII
3. FFVIII (if we were allowed to add spinoffs my third would be tactics)
4. FFI
5. FFV

Raistlin
12-18-2009, 04:11 AM
Tactics is not a spin-off game. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

the AJman
12-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Really? I always thought that it was considering its not in the main series. Shows how much I know. In that case heres my new list

1. FFXII
2. FFVII
3. FFT
4. FFVIII
5. FFI

VeloZer0
12-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Absolute Best
1) FFT
--------
Amazing
2) FF7
3) FF6
4) FF9
-----
Incredibly Good
5) FF4
6) FF5
----
Good
7) FF10
8) FF3
9) FFI
-----
Mediocre
10) FF12
11) FF2
-----
No Comment
12) FF8

Such a nerd that I have this list memorized.

Bolivar
12-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Really? I always thought that it was considering its not in the main series. Shows how much I know.

He's probably joking with you. I know a lot of us don't want to call Tactics a spin-off b/c it was so damn good, the category gives the impression it isn't up to snuff with the main series (which is obviously inaccurate, it's better than most of them)

I wonder how much my list has changed doing these over the years, here's a go:

1. FFVII
2. FFIX
3. FFVIII
4. FFX
5. FFXII
6. FFV
7. FFIV
8. FFII
9. FFVI
10. FFIII
11. FFI

PeneloRatsbane
12-18-2009, 07:07 PM
1. XII
2.VII
3. VIII
4. IX
5. IV
6. X
7. III

out of the ones i've played

seiferalmasy2
12-20-2009, 12:05 PM
VII - Amazing story, gameplay, side quests, music
VIII - The best music score, great story and characters, very good gameplay
X - again great story, decent voice acting, same as above really
IX -Didn't like the story as much but was still decent and the different presentation was a welcome break.
VI
IV
V
XII - Story? Where? Lazy game dynamics, poor music.
X-2 - Cheap Exploitation which ruined X's plot

Haven't played others

Flying Arrow
12-20-2009, 05:05 PM
I'll rank my top four and then a few honorable mentions:

1. VII (Can't even put into words how much I love this game.)
2. XII (Masterpiece in just about every way that matters. Nostalgia might be the only factor in this coming in second to VII. Unfortunately, I've only played XII once because it's such an exhausting quest.)
3. VI (Still great, and surpassed only by a few other J-RPGs since -- all made by Square. Also, VI's major plot twist has yet to be effectively replicated in any game since.)
4. V (Gameplay takes this one all the way home. I get an absurd amount of pleasure out of creating a party of completely different job combos for each playthrough. There are times when I would even take this over my top three. I'll put it like this: if every FF somehow found its way to a handheld system, V would be the one I'd carry with me on the plane.)

Honourable mentions:
III - I love job systems and I love the gameplay of III. Easily the best of the original trilogy (although its competition is really only a prototype and a failed experiment). Also, no game in the series has better overworld music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zZLvipgc2Q&feature=related).

VIII - I don't care what anyone says; I still enjoy this game. Yeah, the plot falls apart on disc 3, most of the main characters get shoved to the background, the best characters (Laguna and co.) play second fiddle to the weaker ones (Squall and co.), the customization system is easy to manipulate (though nonetheless fun), and the game cuts you off from most of the locations on disc 4, but I still like it. And I still appreciate Square's attempt to make a more "realistic" kind of game. For me, that counts. Not the "realism" of it, per se, but the ambition and, well, the balls it takes to try something completely different.

arcanedude34
12-24-2009, 04:47 AM
How many times has this topic cropped up? Nevertheless:

IX
V
VI
VII
X
XII
III
I
II
VIII

Only one on the list I'd say isn't a good game is VIII. II, while low on the list, is still a very good game.

Throwing in side-games, Tactics is somewhere in the top three or four, Tactics Advance is between VII and X, DoC is right above VIII, X-2 right below it, and Crisis Core between III and I, and Dissidia would be either before or after V.

XI is not on the list because I have no steady income with which to play it. D:

Momiji
12-26-2009, 06:29 AM
None of these are in any particular order.

God Tier
FFIV
FFVI
FFT

Really, really good
FFIX
FFV
FFI
FFIII

Decent
FFX
FFVIII

Ehhhh
FFII
FFXII

Discs better suited as coasters or frisbees
FFVII

Vermachtnis
12-26-2009, 06:48 AM
1. V - It's my favorite. I love the job system and customization. The story didn't take itself all that seriously either. And Gilgamesh is pure awesome.
2. IV - It was my first game and the one I've beaten the most so I'm a little biased on it. Plus it has Rydia. That's all that needs to be said about that.
3. VI - I liked the cast and music here. And this is easily one of the most broken Final Fantasy's out there. That is to say, you don't have to work very hard to make an over powered team

4. IX - A call back to the old games. And it was fun too.
5. X - My favorite thing about this is the Sphere Grid and party customization. And how you could switch team mates on the fly was pretty nifty too.
6. I - The one that started it all. Nice and simple.

7. VII - The Materia system, Yuffie, and Cid were my favorites from this game.
8. III - It's like setting the ground work to V so one may be wondering why it's so low. Well, I was spoiled by V and it's letting me mash two jobs together before I got to play this one. Plus, the final dungeons really ticked me off.
9. II - Another game with fun customization where you could build up your characters how you wanted. And of course, me being me made Maria the physical attacker. But for some reason I don't know I get bored playing it. Took forever to beat.

10. VIII - I don't like Squall or Rinoa and they were the main characters. So of course this is going on the bottom of my list. Juctioning was another fun way of being broken though.

I haven't beaten XII yet. But if I do, it'll probably fall around eighth or ninth slot.

asukaevaunit02
01-03-2010, 01:51 PM
1. IX
2. XII
3. X
4. V
5. VIII

Havn't played enough of the older ones (I-VI, except V) to consider them favorites yet...
It was close between XII and X, when I started X I loved it, I was hooked on the story, but towards the end I started playing XII and I think it was the gameplay that distracted me from finishing X for about a month.

P4ine
01-03-2010, 02:45 PM
IX
X
V
VI
IV
VII

The others were more like "I've played them but they're not worth to be mentioned, even though they may be good games"

Shiny
01-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Merged your threads "Favorite FF Games" and "Favorite FF and KH Games" because it was redundant. With this merge I had to re-move the thread to General Square Enix. S'all gud.

My favorite FF's are VI to X. I'm not a big fan of the first KH because the controls and Donald Duck were annoying. I haven't played the second one.

Momiji
01-05-2010, 06:57 AM
In that case, add KH and KHII to my 'God Tier' list and CoM to my 'Really, really good' list.

I haven't started 358/2 Days just yet.

ANGRYWOLF
01-08-2010, 04:22 AM
Ranking the Final Fantasy Series (http://gameon.msn.com/articles/4317/Ranking-the-Final-Fantasy-Series?gt1=28155)