PDA

View Full Version : Do Spoliers Bother You?

Rad Bromance
12-18-2009, 03:50 AM
I was just browsing a gaming board that I do every now and then and then I clicked a link, not related to FFXIII, and got a big fat FFXIII spoiler. :mad:

Does this kind of thing bother you? It drives me crazy, but I know some people not only aren't bothered by spoilers, but intentionally like to find them and see/read about them.

Raistlin
12-18-2009, 04:05 AM
I generally don't go looking for spoilers or any sort of info on an upcoming game/book/whatever. However, I'm also usually not bothered by any spoilers I happen to come across accidentally. I don't understand the people who basically close themselves off to the world to prevent the slightest spoiler from getting through to them (see: Harry Potter fanatics).

Vyk
12-18-2009, 07:13 AM
"Bother" me is about all they do. I can shrug it off pretty easily. Knowing about an event is usually nothing compared to experiencing it (even -with- prior knowledge)

Jiro
12-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I knew about Aeris dying and I still cried like a bitch. Spoilers dampen the effect maybe, but they don't ruin it. I try to keep myself away from them but sometimes I stumble on them and oh well I find stuff out!

Marshall Banana
12-18-2009, 01:12 PM
I like being spoiled!

P4ine
12-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I hate being spoiled on purpose (greatest spoiler done to me so far: Aerith's death; cmon, that's just unfair.. However I expected her to die in the end, and when it came to happen seeing her dying in the first CD that still shocked me :bou::bou::bou::bou:less).. But it's not like I'm totally mad about it when it happens by accident.

Oh and about the Harry Potter people.. Now, for god's sake I'm gonna say the truth: it's gorgeously funny!!
YouTube - HARRY POTTER SPOILER!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THKngDe-5J8)

May god praise these guys for the rest of their lives!!

Bolivar
12-18-2009, 02:49 PM
It honestly depends on the game for me. I refuse to watch any more trailers about Metal Gear Solid because Kojima simply gives too much away, even if the does in fact create a couple clever red herrings. With MGS4 we knew every location before the game came out, every character who would return, and pretty much the framework of the entire story.

But when I'm looking up for a new series I'm about to try like Assassin's Creed or F.E.A.R., I really won't mind if I see a spoiler or two. If I end up really liking it then my feelings my change for when the next one is coming out.

Freya
12-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Only thing i'm >.< about is BSG spoilers. Cause I haven't finished the last season 4.5 yet because i'm waiting for a certain zombie hero to catch up :/ So while looking for things like icons I might stumble across something and go lalala and scroll or exit away and purge it from my memory!

EDIT: Gamin spoilers I don't care too much about. If it ruins it then D: but if it's not like an OMIGAWD one then I don't care :P

Depression Moon
12-18-2009, 11:07 PM
=RaistlinI don't understand the people who basically close themselves off to the world to prevent the slightest spoiler from getting through to them (see: Harry Potter fanatics).

I think you're exaggerating here. I hate the suckers btw, it taints what could have been a pure experience. In GI I remember getting spoiled about Bioshock and someone sent them a letter somplaining about it. GI tried to defend themselves instead of apologizing, because it doesn't take up much space to put in the word spoiler within the article. luckily I don't think the spoiler affected me as I can't even remember what that was as of now.

Momiji
12-19-2009, 12:04 AM
I fucking hate spoilers. It's enough to ruin a day for me.

qwertysaur
12-19-2009, 04:19 AM
I hate them when they are unmarked, because at least I can avoid them when there is a warning. I want to stab the people who post them sometimes :mad:

Zeromus_X
12-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Depends on the game I guess. Usually annoys me, but sometimes the foresight can help me understand a story better. I'd definitely agree experiencing an event is way different than knowing about it too.

NorthernChaosGod
12-19-2009, 11:18 AM
I was reading the 6th HP book in class one day, and my friend asks me how I felt about Dumbledore's death.

I was only like 200 pages in. =\

It totally ruined it for me, I kept anticipating it.

MJN SEIFER
12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I am more botherd by people who don't care about the people who care about the spoilers - Some of them even go to the lengths of writing things like "[Character] Dies at the end!!!" in the TITLE of the thread.

I also don't like how people think that when a game or film reaches a certain age we are allowed to spoiler it (FFVII springs to mind here). I always hide/mark what could be a spoiler, because people may still have yet to see it.

FFVII again, I loved a particular scene, and I am sure that someone out there hasn't played FFVII yet but wants to - they're gonna lose the impact on such a beutiful scene just because the game is old?! I know most of you seam to hate that character, but I didn't.

NorthernChaosGod
12-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Oh come on, if you don't know that Aeris dies by now then you have no business even playing the game.

MJN SEIFER
12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
No offence, but that makes no sense to me.

Rantz
12-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I don't understand that opinion at all to be honest, NorthernChaosGod.

MJN Seifer: It's easier to discuss a story freely when you aren't inhibited by having to constantly look back and put yourself in the mind of a person who doesn't know the story. That's why, as stories get older and more widely known, people choose to assume that most if not all people reading knows any potential spoilers. That's not to say it isn't regrettable if someone who doesn't know them comes across them; it's just a choice you have to make. Generally, if you're expecting to play a game that has been around for a while and you want it unspoiled, it might be best to avoid fora for discussing that particular game until you have.

Yeargdribble
12-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't like to be spoiled. I don't necessarily go to great lengths to avoid it, but I really like little surprises in a good story. When HP7 was available on the internet 2-3 days before the book got released I made a point of reading it all in one sitting just because that was the thing that everyone in the world wanted to spoil more than anything. After release I'm sure it would've been all but impossible to be anywhere on the internet without spoilers.

Indeed, shortly after I finished it checked out some of the horrendous lengths people went to to ruin it... like going around a car with a megaphone at book stores where the book was about to be released and announcing all of the deaths and other big info.

For games it's mostly about how story driven the game is.

ANGRYWOLF
12-19-2009, 06:54 PM
"Bother" me is about all they do. I can shrug it off pretty easily. Knowing about an event is usually nothing compared to experiencing it (even -with- prior knowledge)

True.Still I try to avoid them.

That's why I am trying to avoid watching some of the FFXIII stuff being posted on other forums/boards..as people who have the game are playing it and posting videos about it.:)

Fuzakeru
12-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Battlestar Galactica is the ONLY thing I have ever not had spoiled for me or purposefully spoiled for myself because I couldn't stand not knowing.

Otherwise, spoilers don't bug me. If anything, they make me more anxious to play, watch, see, read, etc something because people only spoil the really, really cool, badass parts!

ljkkjlcm9
12-19-2009, 10:43 PM
It depends on how interested in the thing I am. For example with Harry Potter, hearing Snape killed Dumbledore was annoying, but at the same time it actually made me want to know how it happened and why.

If I heard a FFXIII spoiler, I am highly interested in it, but don't know enough about it to really be able to get why it happens, and if anything it will make me even more interested in playing and finding out.

Sometimes a spoiler actually increases the desire for the experience, rather than detracting.

If it is something I had little interest in to begin with, well then a spoiler may be enough to make me not care anymore.

THE JACKAL

Vyk
12-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Actually I tend to find hype ruins things with more frequency than spoilers ever could. Experiencing something a second time is similar to it being spoiled for you. But if its good in your opinion, its good. That won't change. It just won't be as dramatic. But if you're annoyed by something before you ever experience it, its a lot less likely you'll enjoy it enough to really bother. I've avoided a LOT of things over the years due to hype and have to wait for my annoyance to die down a lot before even considering trying certain things/shows/games/etc... (I can't imagine ever wanting to watch Death Note right now, and its not even spoiled yet. I just can't stand the way people rave about it...)

Captain Maxx Power
12-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Yes it does. For this reason I tend not to read previews for games ever. Usually I'll get a feel for the game and whether or not it's worth playing by glossing over reviews.

blackmage_nuke
12-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Well there are some spoilers that just ruin the whole experience such as snape is the half blood prince just ruined the entire experience for me as I wasnt able to become part of the mystery.
But event spoilers such as snape kills dumbledore while not as bad are still annoying.

What I also hate is when previews/ads show the best parts of an episode which I otherwise would not be expecting. Many a time i have seen a dr who comercial show daleks and then spend the entire episode expecting daleks to show up, it is rather irksome.

Breine
12-23-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't like spoilers. Therefore I try to avoid them.

Vermachtnis
12-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm not bothered by spoilers, but I don't actively hunt them out either. And I try not to spoil others, but I get excited when I talk and accidentally say stuff that ain't common knowledge. I've been working on getting that under control though, yup dun wanna get killed by Momiji for spoiling something he was interested in.

black orb
12-24-2009, 05:40 AM
>>> They are everywhere, you just have to live with them..:luca:

I Took the Red Pill
12-24-2009, 01:57 PM
yeah they piss me off. some of my all-time worst include being in 8th grade, reading To Kill a Mockingbird, and my friend being like "HEY DURR HURR HAVE YOU GOTTEN TO THE PART WHERE THE BLACK GUY GETS SHOT AND DIES YET?" and of course, the classic Dumbledore dies, which really pissed me off. It's not the same going through the story knowing what you're working up to. :aimmeh:

Depression Moon
12-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh cool, Charile brown

Rase
12-24-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't mind spoilers at all to be quite honest. From just a gaming standpoint I knew Eli Vance dies, Aerith dies, Cloud thinks he's Zack, Tidus was dead all along, and Kratos killed his family, all before playing their respective games, and that's just to name a few. Same flies with movies and books. Unless I'm really excited for something I don't care, and even then it won'd be the end of the world if I find out prematurely.