PDA

View Full Version : Spinning and gliding

Rye
12-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Do you like ice skating? Are any of you really good at it?

I just went ice skating for the first time in about 5 or 6 years, it was wonderful. I sorta forgot how to at first, but then I got really fast again. I can't skate backwards though or do any cool tricks. :(

Shoeberto
12-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Ice skating is fun :) There's a community center about half an hour from school that has free ice skating year-round. It's pretty fun to go do :)

Raistlin
12-19-2009, 05:20 PM
I never went ice skating as a kid, so I never learned how. But then Jojo dragged me out skating last winter. I was hesitant because I'd never gotten above holding onto the wall and thought I'd fail miserably (which is apparently what happened to the last guy she dragged out there), but I surprised myself by getting the hang of it pretty quickly and ended up having fun. I did fall once, but that was because someone fell and slid right in front of me (I barely managed to avoid them, but at the cost of losing my balance).

Rye
12-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Free?!?!?!!?!??!!?

Oh man, I am so jealous. I have to pay 9 dollars for skate rentals and ice time, and that's with my discount!

I might buy myself a pair of skates sometime, they pay for themselves fast if you go often.

I have a secret obsession with ice skating movies, like Ice Princess and that other Disney movie. When I was little I always wanted to be an ice skater!

Tavaryn
12-19-2009, 08:21 PM
I tried twice, and almost died a horrid, gruesome death both times. I couldn't even do it with the little horse thing. D: But I can't skate or rollerblade either, so I wasn't surprised.

Skyblade
12-19-2009, 08:27 PM
I love skating, but there is an annoying lack of high-quality rinks around here. Nothing ruins skating like having huge pits in the ice because it's not properly maintained.

Rantz
12-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Cross-posted from LJ:

I've only skated a few times myself, and I've always been either glued to the siderail or alternating between being all wobbly and my feet going like this: / \

Loony BoB
12-19-2009, 08:37 PM
I've never tried it to my recollection. I just know I'll be terrible at it, though. I've tried rollerblading when all my mates were into rollerhockey many years ago. I struggled for months on end and then given up. These things just don't work with me.

scrumpleberry
12-19-2009, 08:54 PM
I've only ever tried it twice that I can recall. The second time I TOTALLY managed to let go of the rail for about 15 seconds though, which was excellent. I wouldn't mind going again, and I probably would if I didn't have a paralysing & chronic fear of looking like an idiot in front of other people.

Laddy
12-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Ice Skating is too gay. Even for me.

Rye
12-19-2009, 10:20 PM
You have to be brave without the rail! It's easier to skate away from the rail anway, the ice is smoother!

Fuzakeru
12-19-2009, 10:39 PM
That was one of the things I wanted to do while I lived in Michigan but my ex-fiance never took me skating. He also said he would take me to a hill to watch the snowboarders but we never did that either. I wanted to experience the little cabin with the fire and hot chocolate thing... We only went sledding once. I didn't even get to make a snow man until my last night in Michigan before I moved back to Mississippi after the break up and that was with my drunk friends at 3 AM! ( Not that I'm complaining. Holy cow that was amazing! Best snowball fight ever! )

.... I'm sad now!

rubah
12-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Stu forgot that there's a $2 skate rental now, but it's pretty great. Full of little kids, but you can't argue with the price.

I love ice skating. It's not so exactly similar to rollerblading, although they are pretty close. There's less friction when ice skating, so your strides and paces are different.

(I could rollerblade out of the womb.)

Fuzakeru
12-19-2009, 10:59 PM
I've been rollerblading a bunch at skate places. I used to love doing the Hookie Pookie or Hokey Pokey or whatever except when I'd turn myself around I'd always fall on my butt. :cool:

NorthernChaosGod
12-20-2009, 01:08 AM
I used to play hockey. :cool:

I haven't skated in years though, so it'd take some warming up before I could really move.

Shlup
12-20-2009, 01:34 AM
I love ice skating, but I have very weak ankles so I have to take breaks, and I get frustrated 'cause the rest of me is not tired but my ankles are all wobbly.

Shiny
12-20-2009, 01:43 AM
Black people don't ice skate. We roller skate dance.

Shlup
12-20-2009, 01:53 AM
Black people also don't play RPGs, yet here we are.

Captain VooDoo
12-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Ice skating would be all great and fun, if it werent for the fact its the worse idea ever. Going around on slippery ice in silly shoes that have blades attached to them? youre just asking to have your fingers cut off!

Shiny
12-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Black people also don't play RPGs, yet here we are.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/sagensyg.html

Shlup
12-20-2009, 02:18 AM
Oooooo, a whole two. And Typhoon makes three.

GO ICE SKATING.

Shiny
12-20-2009, 02:24 AM
I think JKTrix is too! That's right. We're taking over bishes.

Laddy
12-20-2009, 03:46 AM
I didn't Sagensyg, Shiny, or JKTrix were black!

Although Typhoon, yeah...

This guy makes five. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBqYB-noKUk)

Shlup
12-20-2009, 03:51 AM

Good, maybe my Sims game won't be so full of frighteningly pale people.

Laddy
12-20-2009, 03:53 AM

Good, maybe my Sims game won't be so full of frighteningly pale people.Indeed! It's like the cast of Survivor Guatemala!

Er...forget that.

Jiro
12-20-2009, 09:37 AM
I went ice skating last week. It's not cheap, $17 for a two hour session. I thought I'd be horrible like I usually am when I go ordinary skating (which has been, like 5 times in my life). But I was pretty decent. I would have been better if there weren't so many little kids being fail in front of me.

I had some pretty awesome stacks, it was painful but also hilarious which numbed the pain. And I achieved my childhood dream of being in the speed skate. Which I had to withdraw from for falling over too many times :D

Timekeeper
12-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I had to dodge Jiro as he fell in front of me in the speed skate, I beat him using the Bradbury Principle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Bradbury) :D

I love skating, but I'm not as good as I should be. My Dad is Canadian and therefore he's awesome at skating.

Tavaryn
12-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Ice skating would be all great and fun, if it werent for the fact its the worse idea ever. Going around on slippery ice in silly shoes that have blades attached to them? youre just asking to have your fingers cut off! http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/funpages/cms_content/16859/kidsthesedays.jpg (http://http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/funpages/cms_content/16859/kidsthesedays.jpg)

Breine
12-20-2009, 04:21 PM
I've only done it once, maybe twice. I suck at it.

It's one of those things I kinda wish I was better at, although it's a skill I'd never use. It just looks so nice when I see people doing it.

qwertysaur
12-20-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm bad at it but love it anyway! :p

BarelySeeAtAll
12-20-2009, 08:40 PM
>_> went in primary school..all I did was stick to the rail while my old man of a teacher stood behind the glass on NORMAL ground. Some bitch went and collided with me when I had my back turned D:< Coward....
That made me cry, and I've never been ice skating again

rubah
12-21-2009, 01:07 AM
On the way to the ice-skating rink today, we were behind a red beretta filled with five young adults.

"You know, they look like they're going to have a good time"
"I should just stick my entire torso out the window and wave to them"
"Hmm, it would probably work better if you took your pants off"
"You're right."

"Wouldn't it be funny if they were going the same place we are?"

At the ice-rink.
"That guy looks like one of the people in the Beretta. And isn't that cap-guy? And hair-dye girl!"
"well, I've already run into white-jacket guy. He was clinging to the side as I was."

Cap-guy is talking to white jacket guy, as well as short hispanic guy.
"did you guys come here in a red beretta?"
"Um, yes?"
"*explains story to this point*"
"Oh!"

*introductions*

"Are you teaching him to skate?"
"Kinda >:]"

Faris
12-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Skating is awesome. :) Unfortunately, like making snow forts, my friends have grown out of it and doing it alone just isn't quite as enjoyable with out them.

I think the last time I went skating was a few years ago. It was awesome but I had to dodge kids and random adults.

Jess
12-24-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't like it. at all.

I went ice skating once, and being the clumsiest person in the world, I managed to fall and kick my leg into my other leg and slice into my leg with the skate-blade. It was so painful! never again.

Raistlin
12-24-2009, 10:23 PM
I went ice skating once, and being the clumsiest person in the world, I managed to fall and kick my leg into my other leg and slice into my leg with the skate-blade.

That's quite an accomplishment. I'm trying to picture how that is even possible.

NorthernChaosGod
12-25-2009, 05:53 AM
I don't like it. at all.

I went ice skating once, and being the clumsiest person in the world, I managed to fall and kick my leg into my other leg and slice into my leg with the skate-blade. It was so painful! never again.

WIN

Levian
12-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Ice skating and skiing was mandatory in gym class, so that sucked the fun outta that one. I did go skating with some friends a couple years ago though, and it was super nice. It was dark out and we brought hot chocolate in a thermos. Not much else you need to have fun. :mog: my legs are always broken for a few hours after skating.

Peegee
12-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Ice skating is mandatory for Canadian children. But then I met Rubahs and then she skated and I was like 'wtf I thought arkansas was a desert with no ice how are you skating' and then we fought with light sabers ^_^^_^_^_^_^^^^^
_^

Zeldy
12-28-2009, 10:29 PM
I really want to go ice skating now! The place near me was always sooo full that you'd end up skating into people, which I did many times! I got many grazed elbows and hips, but loved it so much! I was fairly decent, but then I would completely fall on my face if someone cut in front of me too quickly. The amount of blood stains in the ice was disgusting also, and I added to them!