PDA

View Full Version : best ff soundtrack??

reinward
12-20-2009, 03:47 AM
i say ff 9 BY FAR

theres ff9 and then just the rest

im not saying the other ones were bad but ff 9's is divine

what do you think?

Moon Rabbits
12-20-2009, 03:52 AM
Actually, VI is the correct answer.

VeloZer0
12-20-2009, 03:59 AM
I'm going to have to throw my chips in with FFVI as well.

Wolf Kanno
12-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Let's move this to the Gaming Music forum. :mog:

After spending this last semester in Music history/theory class, I can honestly say that I feel VI is the best, not only for being awe inspiring but the level of historical musical emulation it utilizes is just staggering and in my book places it far above the other OST. Other soundtracks are beautiful and offer some greater level of variety but I'm simply amazed how much thought was put into utilizing Fugues, Sonatas, and the entire structure of a Classical/Romantic era opera to represent the music and the story for this game. FFVI is an opera.

Dancing Mad is easily one of the most technical musical pieces in the FF series and the use of Wagner's leitmotifs adds so much to the story and characters and just transforms the soundtrack into one huge cohesive entity that is lacking in the rest of the series. It also has the best character themes in the series imho. :mog:

:ffvisad: :ffvipatpat: :ffviwag: :ffvilaugh: :ffvising: :ffvisexy: :ffviscorn: :ffvistrut: :mogumogu: :ffvishock: :ffvitrouble: :ffvisleepy: :bou: :ffviwhat: :ultros:

Fynn
12-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Let's move this to the Gaming Music forum. :mog:

After spending this last semester in Music history/theory class, I can honestly say that I feel VI is the best, not only for being awe inspiring but the level of historical musical emulation it utilizes is just staggering and in my book places it far above the other OST. Other soundtracks are beautiful and offer some greater level of variety but I'm simply amazed how much thought was put into utilizing Fugues, Sonatas, and the entire structure of a Classical/Romantic era opera to represent the music and the story for this game. FFVI is an opera.

Dancing Mad is easily one of the most technical musical pieces in the FF series and the use of Wagner's leitmotifs adds so much to the story and characters and just transforms the soundtrack into one huge cohesive entity that is lacking in the rest of the series. It also has the best character themes in the series imho. :mog:

:ffvisad: :ffvipatpat: :ffviwag: :ffvilaugh: :ffvising: :ffvisexy: :ffviscorn: :ffvistrut: :mogumogu: :ffvishock: :ffvitrouble: :ffvisleepy: :bou: :ffviwhat: :ultros:

I agree with you to some extent, but I do believe IX is the best (with VI a close second). Why is that? While VI uses all those complex techniques you mention, they are quite well-known and also quite... generic for classical music nowadays. Whereas in FFIX's soundtrack, Nobuo utilizes genuine medieval techniques, which I don't think any game composer has used before him. In Ipsen's Castle, there's a clear hoquestus (where the sounds appear in different voices in succession, making it sound like a hiccough, hence the name), there are also examples where he uses motets, organa, etc. I am amazed at the fact that he managed to utilize such techniques so skillfully. Surely, this required much more effort and research than the techniques used in FFVI.

Wolf Kanno
12-21-2009, 04:57 AM
Yet when you consider the feat of the format such music was played on at its time from a non-classically trained musician like Nobuo (he never actually majored in music and apparently is completely self taught, meaning he wouldn't have the same upbringing with Western Tonal systems like we would) I feel that VI is a bit more amazing. Listening to V's OST and then to VI, you are completely blown away by the leap in quality. A level of quality that stays consistent afterwards into the Sony generation, including IX ;).

Fynn
12-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Well, of course, I do agree. But him being a musician without professional musical education makes it even more amazing that he can utilize medieval techniques, which are completely unknown to people without musical education, and are still quite obscure to people with just basic musical education.

Wolf Kanno
12-21-2009, 05:56 PM
That is true but first he had to learn Classical/Romantic era styling. ;)
I guess what we can agree on is that Nobuo pulled off some incredible music stylings despite his educational background. Just showing how great his virtuosity really is.

Raistlin
12-21-2009, 05:58 PM
It's not my favorite FF, but I have to agree that FF6 has a great soundtrack. Though I am relatively easily pleased when it comes to music, and I'll enjoy the music of any game that has a couple of really memorable songs (see: FF7's One Winged Angel and Aerith's theme).

krissy
12-21-2009, 09:54 PM
tactics is good too

sdm42393
12-22-2009, 12:17 AM
While the "best" may be up to speculation and interpretation, I personally find IX's soundtrack (how ironic for that's a common complaint among critics) to be my favorite (however, there's no soundtrack I didn't like :) ).

qwertysaur
12-22-2009, 12:23 AM
IX :colbert:
:zidane: :dagger: :vivi: :steiner: :quina: :freya: :eiko: :salamander:

arcanedude34
12-23-2009, 03:52 AM
Best? Guhh... I don't know. =| Probably IX, with VI as a close second. Yup, I'm an individual, alrighty.

black orb
12-23-2009, 04:17 AM
>>> FF10 and FF12 soundtracks are pretty good..:luca:

nik0tine
12-23-2009, 06:09 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned FF8! Seriously, that OST is astounding.
That said, I can't decide between VI, VIII, and IX.

:ffvisad: :ffvipatpat: :ffviwag: :ffvilaugh: :ffvising: :ffvisexy: :ffviscorn: :ffvistrut: :mogumogu: :ffvishock: :ffvitrouble: :ffvisleepy: :bou: :ffviwhat: :ultros:Other than the fugue-like section in Dancing Mad, are there any other fugues in FFVI?

That fugal moment in Dancing Mad is definitely one of my favorite moments in any OST, ever.
Also, I LOVE the 'Magic House'. I believe that is the title of the music in Owzers mansion in WoR.

Moon Rabbits
12-23-2009, 07:13 PM
VIII probably has my second favorite sound track. Liberi Fatali is just sooooooooooooooooooooo good~~~ All the "witch" themed tracks are awesome. And of course other stuff like "Blue Fields" etc. etc.

I prefer VII to IX, though :O OH NOEZ. Idk, it's just stuff like Tifa's Theme, Cloud's Theme, Aeris' theme, Cosmo Canyon etc. etc. that I think are really good tunez~~~

arcanedude34
12-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Shoot, I forgot VIII o.o The one redeeming quality of that game for me. VIII had an amazing soundtrack. Best chocobo theme, hands down.

Momiji
12-27-2009, 08:13 PM
You all know me. I hate FFVII. However, its soundtrack is, in my opinion, the best thing Nobuo Uematsu has ever done.

That aside, I'm incredibly fond of the FFVI soundtrack as well.

LunarWeaver
12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Not too big on VI, but I am big on the soundtrack. C'mon now, who can't get at a very minimum a chub over this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTlQ3f_WIPc)

Although I will admit to the high chance of gasping that I do not like Dancing Mad at all. :ffvitrouble:

Slothy
12-28-2009, 02:01 PM
I'll never understand anyone saying VIII is their favourite. I will gladly admit that there are some amazing songs on that soundtrack, but by and large it was one of the most boring soundtracks in the history of the series as far as I'm concerned. I honestly can't think of another that had as many tracks that left me completely underwhelmed as this one.

My vote would go to FFVI, with VII and IX following close behind.

Depression Moon
12-28-2009, 05:07 PM

IX :colbert:
:zidane: :dagger: :vivi: :steiner: :quina: :freya: :eiko: :salamander:

Cool I didn't know the sprites say stuff when you hover over them with the mouse. I'll have to say IX as well. I did like some tunes in VI like Figaro castle.

Can't believe anyone when they say XII. It didn't have any rememorable songs for me at all. Kiss Me Goodbye stands in my memory but it doesn't fit the game.

P4ine
12-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Hmm, first let's chuck out the ones which definitely aren't the best.

VIII - good tracks included like Force your Way, The Man with the Machinegun, Ami, FLVW and so on, but that's not enough
X - some tracks simply weren't uematsu-ish; i know, he didn't do all the tracks, but some insanely good tracks were in the game, like To Zanarkand, the battle theme, Tidus's theme, Asthra song, Summoned beast battle and Attack
X-2 - No. Only Eternity.
XII - No. Only the boss battle.
I - V - They were all good and featured a big variety of great tracks, but all in all they also had annoying tracks
VI - Close, so very close! But there are tracks, only few to mention, which really weren't actually fitting into the game
VII - see VI

So only IX stays left, and yes, it's definitely my favourite FF OST. EVERY theme fitted into EVERY respective situation, the tracks themselves were sooo diverse.
I love FFIX, everything about it is perfect!

RedPouch
01-02-2010, 08:00 AM
It's hard to say because there's so much to decide from and base it off of. I know that I loved IX and VI. Some remixes of II and VII would be great, and I'll also admit that Ultimecia's final battle music was one of my absolute favourite final boss musics out there. Dissidia has some revamped versions of prior battle musics, but I have to admit they did a horrible, atrocious job with them [especially the FF II and IV musics].

One thing all FF games seem to have in common is poor battle music though. I really hate giving any hype to FF VII seeing how sick of VII-hype I am, but I really do believe they had the best normal battle music in the series. It's a little off-topic, but Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria and Star Ocean 4 have good normal battle musics as well.
[!]<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">[/!][!]Session data[/!][!]<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">[/!]

Vyk
01-02-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm with Vivi22. VI was really epic. IX was pretty, a lot. But I personally don't remember much of it. And definitely not epic. Opera was a good way to describe VI. VII was really memorable to me too. Not so epic, but still memorable. I loved a lot of it. But it can't dethrone VI..

destinyislands
01-03-2010, 04:43 AM
Anybody else cast a vote for X? There are some really beautiful piano pieces/jazz pieces on that soundtrack, not to mention the Otherworld which always gets me pumped!

Slothy
01-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Anybody else cast a vote for X? There are some really beautiful piano pieces/jazz pieces on that soundtrack, not to mention the Otherworld which always gets me pumped!

X did have a lot of awesome tracks, but I find that the 93 different versions of hymn of the faith or whatever it's called got on my nerves, especially when trying to just listen to the soundtrack.

And I always seem to be alone in this, but Otherworld was a terrible song. I actually cringed the first time I saw that cinematic in game.

RedPouch
01-04-2010, 01:15 AM
I'm afraid I have to agree. The Otherworld music was terrible [it is that battle music with the screamer right?]. Not only can I not even understand a word he's saying, but he sounds terrible. It might've been better without the screamo guy, because he's a major annoyance and distraction in that music.
[!]<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">[/!][!]Session data[/!][!]<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">[/!]

Shiny
01-24-2010, 04:22 AM
FFVII. There a few tracks in other FF games that have become as iconic as One Winged Angel and Aerith's Theme. FFVII's songs sound more like a film score to me than any of the FF soundtracks. That's probably why I like it the best aside from the fact that it's amazing. Although I'm also really fond of FFVI, FFIX, and FFX's soundtracks.

Roogle
01-24-2010, 07:18 AM
I'm afraid I have to agree. The Otherworld music was terrible [it is that battle music with the screamer right?].

Yes, Otherworld is the heavy electric guitar song from the beginning of Final Fantasy X. You can read more about the song at the Otherworld article on the Final Fantasy Wiki (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Otherworld) if you wonder about how a song like that got onto a Final Fantasy game as an American artist was the singer.

FFVII. There a few tracks in other FF games that have become as iconic as One Winged Angel and Aerith's Theme. FFVII's songs sound more like a film score to me than any of the FF soundtracks. That's probably why I like it the best aside from the fact that it's amazing. Although I'm also really fond of FFVI, FFIX, and FFX's soundtracks.

I like the Final Fantasy VI Original Soundtrack the most, but I agree with your comments about the Final Fantasy VII Original Soundtrack. It spans many more tracks than its predecessor and attempts to cover every feeling and emotion that its scenes might encompass. The only issue that I have with it is that it was made in a time after the typical synths used on the Super Nintendo games but before the more natural sounding synths of the later Playstation era and beyond, so I feel like the music production is of a lower quality.