PDA

View Full Version : Character design.

Croyles
12-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Its strange, ive seen Lightning so many times but I only just realise now how good her design is! Especially that coat is just sweet!

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/radbromance/Video%20Games/FF13_front_PS3small.jpg

Fangs is also really good:

http://mognetcentral.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/fang.png

The rest are ok I guess.

Bolivar
12-21-2009, 06:34 PM
I agree, although I'm sure the anti-Nomura bandwagon on this site are getting their torches and pitchforks ready to storm this thread and brutally murder us.

I'm glad people are taking the opportunity to design some really interesting characters this gen. I thought Old Snake was the best designed protagonist in the MGS series, I don't know if I would go that far for Lightning but I really like her design.

Croyles
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM
I agree, although I'm sure the anti-Nomura bandwagon on this site are getting their torches and pitchforks ready to storm this thread and brutally murder us.

I'm glad people are taking the opportunity to design some really interesting characters this gen. I thought Old Snake was the best designed protagonist in the MGS series, I don't know if I would go that far for Lightning but I really like her design.

I can understand some of the anti-nomura sentiments, but he really seems to have made very different designs with Lightning and Fang, and yes, before someone tells me Lightning was modelled after Cloud originally, they still look stylistically different enough.

Rad Bromance
12-22-2009, 04:04 AM

I can understand some of the anti-nomura sentiments, but he really seems to have made very different designs with Lightning and Fang, and yes, before someone tells me Lightning was modelled after Cloud originally, they still look stylistically different enough.

All the anti-nomura rants I've seen just say "BELTS BELTS BELTS BELTS SPIKEY HAIR BELTS".

Elpizo
12-22-2009, 09:47 AM
I find myself liking all character designs in XIII, at least, as far as your party goes. Not so sure about the badguys, but that's okay, we only need to beat em up, not love them.

I like Vanille best, though. With her, it's not "BELTS BELTS BELTS" but "BRACELETS BRACELETS BRACELETS" and "JEWELRY JEWELRY JEWELRY". Which is fine with me.

Rostum
12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
I am a fan of the character design in FFXIII overall.

Rodney
12-22-2009, 02:29 PM
I like Vanille best, though. With her, it's not "BELTS BELTS BELTS" but "BRACELETS BRACELETS BRACELETS" and "JEWELRY JEWELRY JEWELRY". Which is fine with me.

Vanille's design is definitely my favorite, too, followed by Hope. I like Vanille's pink shirt and her bear sash the best, and I like Hope's shirt, although I'm not too crazy about the orange . . . capelet(?) . . . hanging from him.

black orb
12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
>>> Tetsuya Nomura is the character designer for this one?
Where are his ilustrations??:luca:

Wolf Kanno
12-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Lightning's design is interesting but after seeing it for a good few years its lost its luster for me.

Snowe, I've always said looks like Seifer except bigger and happier with his KH2 skullcap. Though I like the design cause I always liked Seifer I can't give it props for originality.

I really like Sahz's design though his Webster looking son is more creepy than cute for me... I just wish he actually got a better weapon than a gun, even if it has Nerf weapon capabilities.

Hope's design actually looks pretty snazzy which is a shame cause he comes across as annoying in every single cutscene he seems to be featured in, made worse cause he actually uses my favorite Summon and has the most intriguing gameplay mechanics.

I've never really got why people like Vanille, she looks like a younger Echidna from The Bouncer without the hair cones dressed like Rikku from X-2 with a few extra accessories.

I do like Fang's outfit, though I wish Bahamut had a little more pizazz and I actually like the military uniforms of the top ranking officials in Pulse. I also enjoy Serah's design.

My main beef from a visual standpoint is I don't care for the world design.

Elpizo
12-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Vanille's just more appealing than Rikku. She was designed as a tribal girl, I think, and IMHO Nomura fully succeeded in getting that point across. It's the animal hide, you know? Besides, I don't care if she looks like whoever that character from whatever that game is that you mentioned, I never heard of it, so if Vanille looks like her, I don't care, never played it, so can't find it unoriginal. And the clothes really differ from Rikku, IMO. Rikku wanted to be a slut, Vanille is simply tribal. Maybe because he outfit is so similar to the himba women that it's easier for me to see her in a different light than Rikku, as the two were clearly designed with a different idea in mind.

It's all a matter of perspective. ;)

Rase
12-23-2009, 12:10 AM
While I don't think the designs are bad for the world, I don't really like the design of the world.

I'm sure the anti-Nomura bandwagon on this site are getting their torches and pitchforks ready to storm this thread and brutally murder us.
Meh, not your fault he's mediocre.

Shiny
12-23-2009, 03:39 AM
Fangs' design is pretty lame to me. It looks like a sports bra, some boxer shorts, a long silk curtain, and a random furry thing that is just sort of there. Her hair is pretty cool though.

Moon Rabbits
12-23-2009, 07:11 PM
I really like the way Lightning looks (except her hair), and Fang (especially her hair). Vanille also looks awesome. Sahz and Hope are okay (Hope reminds me way too much of Roxas) and Snow is kinda just like "eh wha-eva."

The PSICOM leader girl Jihl or whatever actually has my favorite character design :3

Jirito
12-24-2009, 06:26 AM
My favorite one would be Hope. Not that he's the best or something, I just like the color (My favorite color is yellow+orenge) and the style because it fits my taste. Also his sneakers are cool.

Hope's design actually looks pretty snazzy which is a shame cause he comes across as annoying in every single cutscene he seems to be featured in.
Haha, I also feel the same even though he's my fav, but he's getting better after a few chapters. :)

Sword
12-25-2009, 10:16 PM
I really like Fang's natural features like her face/hair. I think she might be my fav female design to come from Nomura (her outfit is a bit bland though). I like most of the other characters too, but I don't like Sahz's design. His afro is a bit crappy and there is something wierd about his face that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's his eyes.

Rad Bromance
12-26-2009, 01:53 AM
(Hope reminds me way too much of Roxas)
I feel good to know I'm not the only one who felt this way.

It's the hair, I think. But at least, from what I can see, he doesn't have feet bigger than his head.

arcanedude34
12-26-2009, 03:00 AM
I really like Sahz's design though his Webster looking son is more creepy than cute for me...

This entire game is dancing in and out of uncanny valley for me

Laddy
12-26-2009, 09:58 AM
What I like about the men is they are actually attractive for people who are girly men not into them.

Sazh and Snow are really handsome.

Rodney
12-27-2009, 01:50 AM
So true. Damn! They're so hot, if they were real, I could grab them, pull them close, and kiss them!

Fynn
12-28-2009, 12:34 AM
The characters finally look like people of their respective genders...

Rostum
12-28-2009, 01:49 AM
This entire game is dancing in and out of uncanny valley for me

From what I have seen, this isn't really a case of the uncanny valley simply because it isn't trying to be hyper-realistic (see Spirits Within and Beoulve for hyper-realistic and the uncanny valley). Though I have found a few of Sahz's facial expressions rather questioning.

Laddy
12-28-2009, 01:52 AM
So true. Damn! They're so hot, if they were real, I could grab them, pull them close, and kiss them!
Double date?

Rodney
12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Double date?

LOL! Sure! Sazh is mine!;)

Off-topic, but . . . OMG, you were happy that Natalie won, too?!:love:

Chloe.
12-29-2009, 09:57 PM
I really like the character designs, especially Vanille and Lightning. Everything about them seems so pretty. :)

Laddy
01-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Double date?

LOL! Sure! Sazh is mine!;)

Off-topic, but . . . OMG, you were happy that Natalie won, too?!:love:
Fine by me.

Oh, and yes, Russhole is an overatted, stupid, unstratergic idiotic troll! :D