PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Cooking

Fuzakeru
12-24-2009, 03:02 AM
What are you guys eating for Xmas Eve / Xmas day? =o Does your family do something specific and traditional?

What's your menu look like? Are YOU cooking? :3

We're making two huge lasagnas for tomorrow with almond, raspberry salad and garlic french bread for Christmas Eve and we're BBQing these huge steaks and rib racks with au gratin taters and stuffing for Christmas Day.

I'm making Banana Pudding right now I just made a SURPRISE cake! It's a surprise cause it was not planned.

-------------------------------------

Cross Post from LJ -

So this is the conversation I had with my stepmom about two hours ago while we're baking and getting ready for tomorrow.

"OH NO! Stephie! The Point-set-aaaaaaa died!"
"Did you water it?"
"It needed water?"
"..... yes."
"If the leaves are yellow and not red.... that's not good, right?"
"...... that is a very not good thing for the plant."
"OH NO!"
"What?"
"We need something to put on the middle of the table!"
"Make a cake, put it in the cake display, and put it on the wreath table runner on a black table cloth. Sprinkles. Etc."
"-blank stare-"
"I'll do it."

So this is what I came up with! n_n It's a white almond and maple flavored cake with buttercream frosting. The happy surprise is that the bottom layer is dyed green and the top is dyed red! n_n So when you cut it open it's super festive!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/Fuzakeru/DSC06755.jpg

PS - This thread was just a way for me to show off my super cute cake!
I never have good luck with cakes!

Marshall Banana
12-24-2009, 03:10 AM
<center>http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/ichicookiego.jpg</center>

Fuzakeru
12-24-2009, 03:21 AM
Holy cow! Those are super cute!!!!!!!!! Eeek! This is the best thread in the entire world now.

I'm about to make chocolate mint cookies and I want them to be green with like brown swirlies. I'll post pictures of those when I finish!

Rye
12-24-2009, 03:44 AM
Tomorrow will be the time of eating out or something. I never get to enjoy Christmas Eve food because of stupid Italian Christmas Eve, which is fish food time. Yuck. The whole house reeks of it, so I can't even make my own meal, since it'll just taste like fish because of the smells. My Mom and I both don't eat fish, so we have to suffer. But my Mom doesn't really eat anyway, so it's mostly just me. :crying:

G13
12-24-2009, 04:09 AM
I think we're having prime rib over here. I'm not too excited for that. :(

I'm hoping for turkey or ham. Or both! :eek: *mouth waters*

Those cookies look amazing Marshall Banana!

Shlup
12-24-2009, 04:17 AM
We're making our own sammiches after church. :Oo:

rubah
12-24-2009, 04:29 AM
My uncle will have some sort of Christmas Eve dinner; usually it's a ham, but sometimes I luck out and it's turkey.

Apparently my mom is cooking a Christmas breakfast this year. So pancakes, sausage, eggs, and bacon, I guess! I need to see if we have any christmas tree shaped cookie cutters :D

Fuzakeru
12-24-2009, 05:25 AM
Aww! When I was younger, we'd open our gifts on Xmas Eve. morning after Christmas breakfast of cookies and bacon, eggs, and toast. Lol!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/Fuzakeru/DSC06767.jpg
I made'd cookies! Taa-daaaa!

qwertysaur
12-24-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm going to eat Chinese food :bigsmile:

Raistlin
12-24-2009, 06:59 AM
We don't really have a traditional meal... or do much of any special cooking for Christmas, except for cookies.

Faris
12-24-2009, 01:13 PM
We don't really have a traditional meal... or do much of any special cooking for Christmas, except for cookies.

I was promised cookies from someone else about three times, but I think he forgot.

Mom works nights so being up all day cooking isn't always an option. I think she said she was making roast this year. We'll see.

Jess
12-24-2009, 07:48 PM
We always have a traditional British Christmas dinner! This is this year:

Christmas Eve:

A big fry-up in the evening. Something to keep us full till Christmas lunch. Tonight it was, butter fried mushrooms, fried taties, bacon, eggs, sausages, beans.... it was good!

Christmas Day:

Turkey (and Lamb & mint sauce this year mmm!), roast potatoes, pigs in blankets, yorkshire puddings and veg. lovely.

and in the evening, tons and tons of party food. duck & pancakes, vegetable crispy pancakes, sausages, chicken skewers, scotch eggs, bbq mini-ribs, mini pizzas...

i love Christmas! :jess:

Loony BoB
12-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Tomorrow night it will be roast chicken, mashed potato, baby carrots, no turnips as they were sold out, yorkshire puddings and whatever else we find around the freezer :p

Apple crumble, custard and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Marshall Banana
12-24-2009, 08:00 PM
My grandma is making mustard greens for me tomorrow.

Miriel
12-25-2009, 12:41 AM
Freshly baked coffee cake for breakfast.

And then I'm making Korean steak & eggs for lunch tomorrow. The "Korean" part of it is that there's a side of kimchi fried rice on the plate.

http://www.epicurious.com/images/recipesmenus/2007/2007_september/239793.jpg

And then my Mom and I are going to be making Korean braised short ribs for dinner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/Picture4-1.png

Raistlin
12-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Miriel, you're making me jealous again. Stop that.

qwertysaur
12-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Miriel has the perfect combination of photography and cooking skills to post the best food photos :p

Aydin
12-25-2009, 01:34 AM
I would be feasting at Jessweeee♪ Grandma's house but noooooooooooo...............

She just HAD to spend Christmas in Florida!!! >.<

Gawd, her grandma can cook the best food ever... TT_TT

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Hm. Nothing special this Christmas Eve.
But tomorrow will be scrambled eggs with some sausage cooked in, bacon, and diced potatoes for breakfast. Made by yours truly.
Dinner will consist of pork chops, green beans, mashed potatoes and rolls. Also made by me.
And Pillsbury ready-to-bake Christmas tree cookies.

Pictures will come with the meals.