PDA

View Full Version : Are you offended by profane music?

SuperMillionaire
12-26-2009, 10:04 PM
In these modern times, profanity is very commonplace in music. It wasn't always like that, though; back in the mid-1900s, explicit lyrics were non-existent in music. In the 1990s, the last decade of the 20th century, it started to pop up every now and them, but was nowhere near as frequent as it is now. I don't know why or how it became so commonplace now.

Personally, I am very offended by explicit lyrics; I do NOT like to hear swear words in music. So I decided to ask everyone else; are you offended by it too? A lot of you will probably say no, and that's okay, because I have nothing personal against you, nor do I hate you for liking it. However, if you say that yes, you ARE offended by it, I will applaud you.

qwertysaur
12-26-2009, 10:10 PM
If it is not overdone, having a word that is considered profane is not a problem. When you hear fuck every five words then it gets annoying and uncreative. :p

Tavrobel
12-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Yes, I am offended by profane music. I find that many of the songs these days are very offensive to Cthulhu. The heretics must be burned.

charliepanayi
12-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Only rubbish music offends me.

Momiji
12-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Profanity doesn't bother me in the least.

I Took the Red Pill
12-26-2009, 10:16 PM
No, I am over the age of 7. I judge music on its quality alone, profanity may or may not be involved.

SuperMillionaire
12-26-2009, 10:39 PM

Can you define that for me, please?

charliepanayi
12-26-2009, 10:40 PM

Can you define that for me, please?

Music that I personally think is rubbish.

SuperMillionaire
12-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I meant, "what is your definition of 'rubbish'?".

Aydin
12-26-2009, 10:45 PM
After the harsh, awkward years of middle school, I judge music by it's quality and not by how many curse words are in it.

Personally, I am not offended by swear words but if it becomes excessive, I would find the song very annoying... >.>

I don't know if that made any sense.

SuperMillionaire
12-26-2009, 10:48 PM
I judge music by its quality, its themes, and its language.

Ouch!
12-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Like I Took the Red Pill said, I'm over the age of seven so no, I am not offended by profanity in music. In fact, I'm rarely offended by profanity at all (unless it's directly used to demean or offend me in particular). Profane language is just words. It's not a big deal.

Rad Bromance
12-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Not at all. I think the very concept of "profane language" is silly anyway. :D

But like qwertysaur already said, when it's so frequent that it's practically for the sake of saying things considered profane it just becomes annoying and unappealing to me.

Rantz
12-26-2009, 11:46 PM
In these modern times, profanity is very commonplace in music. It wasn't always like that, though; back in the mid-1900s, explicit lyrics were non-existent in music. In the 1990s, the last decade of the 20th century, it started to pop up every now and them, but was nowhere near as frequent as it is now. I don't know why or how it became so commonplace now.

I assure you that profanity in music has been around for as long as music has, and has been widespread too. The change is that it has become more widely accepted, perhaps most notably among what's left of the "cultural elite" or whatever you want to call it. Perhaps the fact that the notion of such an elite's existence has diminished has to do with that, as well. And of course, profanities half a century ago and profanities now aren't the same. I'm sure they didn't use much of what's considered profane today back in the 1940's, since they had another concept of profanity.

I personally don't mind profanity much, in music or otherwise. If overused it makes it seem stupid and uncreative, but it doesn't offend my senses in any way. They're just words, after all.

Miriel
12-27-2009, 12:02 AM
I think properly utilized profanity is an artform in itself.

I don't mind it all. :)

Depression Moon
12-27-2009, 02:21 AM
I wouldn't listen to rap if I got offended by curse words. So no they don't offend me in music at all.

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 04:07 AM
And this confirms my hunch that you all wouldn't be offended. I still don't get why, though, or how it became much more accepted today.

Rad Bromance
12-27-2009, 04:20 AM
And this confirms my hunch that you all wouldn't be offended. I still don't get why, though, or how it became much more accepted today.
I don't think it is, really. Things that are obscene language now weren't in the past, and now things that were once consider obscene aren't. It's just a matter of cultural norms and mores changing with the times.

Kirobaito
12-27-2009, 04:22 AM
I'm not offended by it. I'm probably not going to like it, but I'm certainly not offended.

Vermachtnis
12-27-2009, 04:30 AM
I with the majority. Not offended, but probably won't listen to it. Especially if it's over used, there's no need for the F-word 50 times in a three minute song.

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 04:48 AM
I don't think it is, really. Things that are obscene language now weren't in the past, and now things that were once consider obscene aren't. It's just a matter of cultural norms and mores changing with the times.

Perhaps, but it still confirms my hunch.

Moon Rabbits
12-27-2009, 05:32 AM

Perhaps, but it still confirms my hunch.

Your hunch that those living within a culture are influenced by it? You're so innovative. Here's a prize :bigsmile: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4JMbGu1U7U)

Nitpick @Bromance: I'm pretty sure societal norms are an aspect of societal mores. >_> Ignorrrrrrre meeeeee.

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 06:01 AM
That's the reason why there needs to be a separate section in a music store and a separate chart on Billboard, along with special radio stations that only play profane music. I wonder what I would like to call it... perhaps "Extreme Hardcore Adult," so that this does not intermix with everything else. If you want to listen to profane music, go to the EHA section.

I also think the RIAA should establish a music content rating system similar to those used for movies and video games, so that they can determine what albums are suitable for what ages. They have one in place in Australia, established by the ARIA (the Australian counterpart of the RIAA), which goes as follows:

The current classification scheme was introduced on April 1, 2003, with the following four levels:

Level 1: WARNING: MODERATE IMPACT - coarse language and/or themes
These recordings contain infrequent aggressive or strong coarse language and moderate impact references to drug use, violence, sexual activity, themes and/or any other abhorrent activity.

Level 2: WARNING: STRONG IMPACT - coarse language and/or themes
These recordings contain frequent aggressive or strong coarse language and strong impact references to (or detailed description of) drug use, violence, sexual activity, themes and/or any other abhorrent activity.

Level 3: RESTRICTED: HIGH IMPACT THEMES - Not to be sold to persons under 18 years
These recordings contain graphic descriptions of drug use, violence, sexual activity, themes and/or any other abhorrent activity that are very intense and have a high impact. They are not to be sold to anyone under the age of 18; proof of age is required to purchase these recordings.

Exceeding Level 3: Not To Be Sold To The Public
These recordings contain lyrics which promote, incite, instruct and/or depict drug use, violence, sexual activity, themes and/or any other abhorrent activity in a manner that would cause outrage and/or extreme disgust to most adults. They are not permitted to be released, distributed or sold to the public.

If you're not offended by profane music, fine, but still, at least implement content ratings so that those who are offended (including myself) can be satisfied too.

Momiji
12-27-2009, 07:24 AM
These recordings contain lyrics which promote, incite, instruct and/or depict drug use, violence, sexual activity, themes and/or any other abhorrent activity in a manner that would cause outrage and/or extreme disgust to most adults. They are not permitted to be released, distributed or sold to the public.

That would be an egregious violation of the First Amendment, wouldn't it?

If you're not offended by profane music, fine, but still, at least implement content ratings so that those who are offended (including myself) can be satisfied too.

But why on earth should anyone bend over backwards just to mollify a bunch of easily-offended whiners? If we eliminated everything in the world that offended anyone in the slightest, it would be an incredibly boring world for the rest of us who are mature enough to suck it up and deal with it.

Mirage
12-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Not offended at all, but I can get annoyed by it, like anything if it's overly repetitive.

rubah
12-27-2009, 08:59 AM
You know, not only were the French troubadours the forerunners of modern music, but they were also pretty raunchy. Sexy lyrics aren't as new as you'd like to think they are. Unless you're just talking about generic boring swears like damn and hell, and I'm sure you can find plenty of those in hymns if you look in the right places :p

Even chaucer talked about :bou::bou::bou::bou:s!

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 04:01 PM
What if I don't want to deal with it?

Some profanities are more offensive than others. Words such as damn and hell are mild curse words that I can tolerate, but what I DO NOT want to hear are the more severe curse words, which I'm not gonna say, but you know what I'm talking about.

As for the content rating system, if the RIAA decides to adopt a content rating system (which I hope they do), to not violate the first amendment, drop the "exceeding level 3" rating, but still keep the previous three ratings. Then again, when it comes to freedom of speech, I still don't think it should be overly abused.

Mirage
12-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Nothing's being abused. If you don't like it, turn off the radio/tv/whatever.

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Look, even if you aren't offended, shouldn't we at least still censor it somewhat? Do we want our children listening to this raunch?

And the Bill of Rights IS being abused. I've talked to many people about it; the elderly people tend to agree with me about younger (middle-age) people today abusing their rights, so for those of you who think I'm immature, in your face. (No hard feelings.)

Ouch!
12-27-2009, 04:36 PM
If you want to start going on about maturity, perhaps you should consider that your profile lists you as a 20-year-old male who, as I've gathered from your activity on EoFF, has his interests primarily in such media as Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, iCarly, and other media directed at tweens through children's television programming. It's fine if you like it, and I'm not knocking you for it, but it does make it a little bit more difficult to take you seriously.

It's the parents' and the individual's responsibility to censor content appropriately. There are already content warning labels on albums, there's already ratings on video games and movies. If a kid is going out and buying an R rated movie, an M rated game, or a CD with explicit content, I have less of a problem with the store selling it to the kid and more of a problem with the parents not aware that it's even happening.

Edit: Also, agreeing with old people does not necessarily make you more mature. I don't particularly regard the opinions of the older generations regarding new media especially highly, not because I don't respect my elders, but more because I've met very few who understand the current media trends enough to make what I would consider a valid opinion about it.

I Took the Red Pill
12-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Too bad. Nobody has a right to not be offended dude, that's just the way it goes.

the elderly people tend to agree with me about younger (middle-age) people today abusing their rights, so for those of you who think I'm immature, in your face. (No hard feelings.)I'm not sure if I've ever encountered a more self-defeating statement in my entire life.

Tavrobel
12-27-2009, 05:09 PM
And the Bill of Rights IS being abused. I've talked to many people about it; the elderly people tend to agree with me about younger (middle-age) people today abusing their rights, so for those of you who think I'm immature, in your face. (No hard feelings.)

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5193/bushlaughing1223057795.jpg

Vyk
12-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Someone's lived a sheltered life and is scared to step outside their safe zone. I think you've protected yourself too long and now need to grow some thicker skin to catch back up. Cussing is an expression, and a valid one at times. How else are you going to express extreme irritation/anger towards something? GOSH DARN IT!!! I don't ever ever want that sung. In any song. Ever

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
I also like some of the same media you like, as well as entertainment from the early 1900s. Have you ever heard of the Dean Martin Variety Show that was on during the 1960s and 1970s? I don't have the DVDs, but I've seen clips of it on the Guthy-Renker infomercial and on YouTube. I am also very interested in Time Life music collections (although I can't get them since I don't trust credit cards all that much). I highly doubt that many of today's stars will find their way into musical compilations in 10-20 years time; maybe some will, because there are some artists today that I like, but the rest most likely won't because they are too trashy to be considered "classic."

Then again, perhaps my tastes in entertainment are the result of me growing up around much older people. When I was younger, I never really got along with people my age; my true "friends" were much older than me, and perhaps that is still true now. They told me that even though people my age thought I was immature, the much older people told me that I was more mature than those others my age.

I Don't Need A Name
12-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Let's face it.
Every kind of profanity and dirty conversation is commonplace amongst most households.
For this reason, how can one be offended by profanity in music without being offended by modern lifestyle?

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Actually, I am. I hear it all the time, and I find it annoying.

Momiji
12-27-2009, 06:02 PM

Then that's your problem, not ours. No one's forcing you to listen to anything, so why the hell should our rights be infringed just so you can be happy? You're being ridiculously selfish.

Look, even if you aren't offended, shouldn't we at least still censor it somewhat?

Absolutely not!

Do we want our children listening to this raunch?

That's up to the parents of said children. Not you or any law.

I highly doubt that many of today's stars will find their way into musical compilations in 10-20 years time; maybe some will, because there are some artists today that I like, but the rest most likely won't.

And what data are you basing this on, aside from your blindingly obvious opinions? As you can clearly see from your poll, you are the only one who is offended by profanity here. Why should your opinions matter over the rest of ours when we clearly outnumber you?

Tavrobel
12-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Why should your opinions matter over the rest of ours when we clearly outnumber you?

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9387/1215976925048.jpg

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 06:09 PM

Then that's your problem, not ours. No one's forcing you to listen to anything, so why the hell should our rights be infringed just so you can be happy? You're being ridiculously selfish.

Look, even if you aren't offended, shouldn't we at least still censor it somewhat?

Absolutely not!

Do we want our children listening to this raunch?

That's up to the parents of said children. Not you or any law.

I highly doubt that many of today's stars will find their way into musical compilations in 10-20 years time; maybe some will, because there are some artists today that I like, but the rest most likely won't.

And what data are you basing this on, aside from your blindingly obvious opinions? As you can clearly see from your poll, you are the only one who is offended by profanity here. Why should your opinions matter over the rest of ours when we clearly outnumber you?

It's not that I'm selfish, it's just that you can't ignore the minority. I speak for the minority, and while majority does rule, it still doesn't mean that it's a one-way street; it has to run both ways. The world doesn't revolve around me, but it doesn't revolve around you either.

Momiji
12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
No one ever said it did, either. You have a right to not hear profanity, and no one's forcing you to hear it. No one's disputing it, either. However, if you demand censorship of it, you're infringing upon our right to hear it, which is not good-- especially when the obvious majority of people aren't offended by it!

Vyk
12-27-2009, 06:15 PM
The rating system should be enough. You can pick and choose the songs you want and buy them online. No point in companies bending over backwards

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry if I sound selfish, but sometimes, I feel like there is nothing for me. You guys hog everything up, leaving nothing for me. Maybe you are the selfish ones.

Edit: And Vyk, thanks for at least partially agreeing with me in that we need a content rating system, even if you still aren't offended by profane music.

Momiji
12-27-2009, 06:21 PM
...what? Are you just scraping the barrel for things to say at this point?

There is plenty of music out there that has absolutely no profanity in it-- in fact, I'd say the majority of music out there doesn't! Go to any store that sells CDs and tell me how many you see with Parental Advisory stickers and how many you don't see with them. You don't even realize how blatantly incorrect that statement is.

If you can't find any clean music in lieu of profane music, you're not looking hard enough. Period.

Just so you know, Wal-Mart only carries 'clean' versions of albums. You want your disgusting censorship? Go there. Leave our rights alone.

I Don't Need A Name
12-27-2009, 06:25 PM
On another not, censoring is disgraceful as it is. It completely axes the meaning behind the lyrics when words can't be used.

None of the songs won't be used in compilations in 10-20 years time? No offence, but quit talking out your arse. I'm pretty sure that there will still be R&B comilations in 10-20 years containing songs containing more profanity than a Gordon Ramsey show.

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 06:27 PM

There is plenty of music out there that has absolutely no profanity in it-- in fact, I'd say the majority of music out there doesn't! Go to any store that sells CDs and tell me how many you see with Parental Advisory stickers and how many you don't see with them. You don't even realize how blatantly incorrect that statement is.

If you can't find any clean music in lieu of profane music, you're not looking hard enough. Period.

Just so you know, Wal-Mart only carries 'clean' versions of albums. You want your disgusting censorship? Go there. Leave our rights alone.

Yes, I have seen the number of CDs in the stores, and I estimate that about 50% of them have explicit lyrics.

By the way, I had nothing against you, but I get the feeling that you had something against me when I said I didn't like it, and then you guys trashed me for it!

I Don't Need A Name
12-27-2009, 06:29 PM
50% have explicit lyrics?
Take a gander in the 'Pop' section then.
Very few have 'explicit' lyrics in them...and if, by explicit, you mean ones that even slightly relate to sexual themes or drug taking then you're screwed, cause most artists (even the most innocent looking) have that.

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 06:32 PM
50% have explicit lyrics?
Take a gander in the 'Pop' section then.
Very few have 'explicit' lyrics in them...and if, by explicit, you mean ones that even slightly relate to sexual themes or drug taking then you're screwed, cause most artists (even the most innocent looking) have that.

Indeed, many artists have sexually-themed lyrics, but some are more offensive than others. Sex sells, but there has to be a limit. I actually like many songs with sexual themes, as long as it doesn't get too raunchy.

Momiji

Yes, I have seen the number of CDs in the stores, and I estimate that about 50% of them have explicit lyrics.

By the way, I had nothing against you, but I get the feeling that you had something against me when I said I didn't like it, and then you guys trashed me for it!

50%? Hardly.

I have nothing against you for not liking profanity in music. However, I do have a problem with your incessant whining about it and incredibly irrational demands that infringe upon the rights of people who aren't like you.

Mirage
Information that helps parents with choosing what music they want their kids to listen or not listen to is enough. Radio channels often send censored versions of songs anyway, so that's not a problem (well except that every kid is gonna be able to guess what was meant to be there anyway).

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Well then, perhaps artists can make two slightly different sets of lyrics, with profanities being replaced by different, cleaner words. Two examples I know of are Avril Lavigne and Simple Plan; only the deluxe versions of their albums have explicit lyrics, while the standard versions have clean lyrics.

Momiji
12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Like I said, buy your music at Wal-Mart. They only carry the clean versions of albums that have profanity in them. If there are no clean versions, then they don't sell them.

I Don't Need A Name
12-27-2009, 06:39 PM
In England, there is no such thing as a clean album.
Also, changing the lyrics to something less 'explicit' undermines the song. The lyrics are written how the writer wanted them. If he/she wanted to talk about a certain content, or use a certain word, he/she isn't going to change it just to please a few people who don't like said word/subject. It would be like 50 Cent singing candy shop about flowers. It's a ridiculous idea.

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Information that helps parents with choosing what music they want their kids to listen or not listen to is enough. Radio channels often send censored versions of songs anyway, so that's not a problem (well except that every kid is gonna be able to guess what was meant to be there anyway).

Mirage took the words out of my mouth.

Depending on the radio station/TV channel, swearing is censored out. It just depends on their target audience.

Swearing doesn't offend me, though repeatedly repeating the f-word is not what I call artistic at all. However, there's at times a necessity to it.

Saying 50% of music has profane lyrics is quite ridiculous. You obviously either looking in the wrong place or just making stuff up.

SuperMillionaire
12-27-2009, 06:47 PM
THen give me your estimates: what percentage of popular music contains explicit language?

Rantz
12-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Think of it this way, SuperMillionaire. You are offended by profane language/themes. Now, suppose I am offended by anti-Christian themes (I'm not, but for the sake of discussion). I'm sure I could find a lot of other people who are, as well. Suppose my neighbour is offended by right-wing political music. He has a few friends who are of the same mind. Suppose my cynical friend is offended by love songs and finds them to cause him much heartache whenever he hears them.

Are record labels supposed to cater to all of these minority interests? Are they supposed to release versions of albums that censor all defiance of the Christian god, introduce labels to denote conservative themes? Are radio channels supposed to warn their listeners before each time they play a love song? You see, there's a world of difference between respecting minorities and catering to them. There has to be a limit to the lengths you go to make sure each individual is fully satisfied.

qwertysaur
12-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Look, even if you aren't offended, shouldn't we at least still censor it somewhat? Do we want our children listening to this raunch?

I love how you use the catch all that every group tries to use when they have nothing, bringing children into the argument.

Forcing censoring on all music is taking away a few random words that are arbitrarily decided to be profane. Would you like to have to paint pictures, but never be able to use the color yellow? It's really hard to paint without it.

Vyk
12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Maybe it should be asked why you consider these words so profane

Momiji
12-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Maybe it should be asked why you consider these words so profane

In every possible case, it is a conditioned response. No one can be offended by a specific word unless they are told to be offended by it. That's basic psychology. For example, tell a very young child that the word 'apple' is highly offensive, and reinforce that. He will then consider it offensive until he realizes how ridiculous such a notion is, if ever.

I was told all my life that there are some words that are terrible and awful and offensive, and for a while, I believed that. Then once I was further exposed to such words from the outside world, I began to realize that they are just words. Nothing more, nothing less.

Moon Rabbits
12-27-2009, 08:00 PM
It's not that I'm selfish, it's just that you can't ignore the minority.

Sorry honey, if you live in a democracy that's how it works ;)

Anyway, I think you just have a problem with music that deals with adult themes - not just profanity. It's like ... intensely easy to find music without profanity in it. The only time I've ever heard Bjork swear is in her song "Alarm Call" in the line "I'm no smurfing Buddhist but this is enlightenment." Likewise, Kate Bush has only one song I can think of where she swears - "Don't want your bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:, just want your sensuality."

Actually, I'm just gonna take a quick spin through my playlist and list all the artists I find who don't use profanity: Antony and the Johnsons, Bat for Lashes, Blonde Redhead, Chad VanGaalen, El Perro Del Mar, Tegan and Sara, The Weepies ... there's probably a million more whose lyrics I don't know well enough to make the call on.

Though, I still think you'd have a problem with most of these artists because their lyrics - despite not using profanity - are still heavily adult and usually pretty sexually explicit. Likewise, they deal with topics like drug use, violence, abuse, et cetera and so on. I think that this stuff less offends you than it does frighten you because you apparently can't relate to it. Unfortunately, sex, drugs, and violence are all part of the "adult" world and most (ie. all but one of us) of us can relate to the ways these topics are covered in music.

Once sex and drugs don't exist, then we can stop singing about them :bigsmile:

rubah
12-27-2009, 08:38 PM
A lady I pretty much considered to be my adoptive grandmother had positively the filthiest mouth I knew of at the time. You can't just say 'older people say this, so it is.' You're just grouping all senior citizens into one group there, where they really are a varied bunch, having different opinions.

When I visited the United Kingdom, I was pretty much agape that a store in London would have phalluses in their window, facing the street! I was a young innocent 17 year old; why should I have to look at those filthy things?

The answer of course, is because they don't hurt anything. It is your mind doing most of the work when you allow yourself to be offended by dirty words and imagery. Things are easy to ignore. Becoming inured is not a crime and if you swing that way, it's not really a sin, despite what you might hear from the pulpit.

Anyways, yes, freedom of speech means that you will be exposed to this stuff. You cannot have it otherwise. Put on some headphones or something.

[edit- Statistics from my iTunes library:
6197 songs, 1411 do not have lyrics and are not included in these numbers
208 contain the word fuck
151 contain the word :bou::bou::bou::bou:
101 contain the word damn
4 contain the word :bou::bou::bou::bou:
240 contain the word hell
100 contain the word sex
5 contain the word penis
3 contain the word vagina
1 contains the word intercourse
225 contain the word kiss
1300 contain the word love
101 contain the word peace
318 contain the word sleep
1296 contain the word time
1 contains the word poop

Any other requests? :D]

Rase
12-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Once sex and drugs don't exist, then we can stop singing about them :bigsmile:
I hope we don't only sing about existing things. Rhapsody of Fire would go away forever. :(

Anyhoo, don't give a damn about profanity. Like anything, I only get annoyed by it if there is an overabundance that makes it seem like they aren't trying (works for movies, comedians, etc. also). If it's just in there, likely as emphasis or because that is the natural way for the person to talk, works for me. There are in fact plenty of songs where switching the profanity for "nicer" words would ruin them completely.

Tavrobel
12-27-2009, 09:15 PM
1296 contain the word time

Any other requests? :D]

Yeah, how the hell is the word "time" a bad word?

Shiny
12-27-2009, 09:34 PM
The only thing I was offended by in music is when they call women bitches and ho's in some songs, but it's happened so much that I've become desentized to it.

LunarWeaver
12-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Not at all. But I swear myself now and then, believe that. Besides, a lot of parents tend to forget how they acted when they were 12. I hear 12 year old boys go on curse word bonanza the second their parents are out of ear shot. It's the time that it's coolest to say, and such. I think tweens swear more than anyone and adults grew out of finding it offensive and drop them here and there as well. Like Pill said, not 7 years old. I wasn't very sheltered to that sort of thing, though. I didn't swear around my parents as a child, but I never considered words to be off limits, either. Ah, I'm sure plenty of children are, so whatever.

I don't listen to good music and rarely hear it, though. At the very least, I can say the "I'm the mothersmurfing princess" in Avril's song 'Girlfriend' bothered me, but only because it was ridiculously unnecessary, not offensive. That's what I get for listening to music that's catchy but otherwise complete :bou::bou::bou::bou:. :moo:

NorthernChaosGod
12-27-2009, 11:45 PM

This.

If profanity fits, then it's all good.

Lol, SuperMillionaire needs to grow up.

7 Songs From Your Grandpa's Day That Would Make Eminem Blush | Cracked.com (http://www.cracked.com/article_17625_songs-from-your-grandpas-day-that-would-make-eminem-blush.html)

Your grandparents are full of crap.

As they grumble about how rap music is destroying civilization, what they don't mention is that the blues they were listening to in the 30s and 40s could be every bit as violent, sexually explicit and sometimes just downright insane as the worst gansta rap has to offer. Compared to some of these vintage lyrics the members of N.W.A are levelheaded concerned citizens, and Eminem's a regular damned feminist.

Please don't double post. You can use the edit function on your earlier post to add to it. Thanks! -Rantz

Vyk
12-28-2009, 01:55 AM
7 Songs From Your Grandpa's Day That Would Make Eminem Blush | Cracked.com (http://www.cracked.com/article_17625_songs-from-your-grandpas-day-that-would-make-eminem-blush.html)

As they grumble about how rap music is destroying civilization, what they don't mention is that the blues they were listening to in the 30s and 40s could be every bit as violent, sexually explicit and sometimes just downright insane as the worst gansta rap has to offer. Compared to some of these vintage lyrics the members of N.W.A are levelheaded concerned citizens, and Eminem's a regular damned feminist.

Educational and disturbing. Win!

Moon Rabbits
12-28-2009, 01:57 AM
I totally forgot Lucille Bogan existed. Thxxxxxxxxxx~

Mr. Graves
12-28-2009, 03:48 AM
Lots of times in life, you need to reach down in the gutter to your point across. I swear a lot, and have no problem if my music does the same.

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 04:51 AM

This.

If profanity fits, then it's all good.

Lol, SuperMillionaire needs to grow up.

Please don't double post. You can use the edit function on your earlier post to add to it. Thanks! -Rantz

True, but it still wasn't as commonplace back then as it is now! And maturity does not mean you have to tolerate profanities. Why do you think I'm immature just because I can't tolerate popular entertainment with explicit content?

By the way, let me make this clear: I NEVER SAID that you can't listen to explicit music. If you want to, fine, but I still want to curb it just a little bit. I'm not stopping you from listening to explicit music; I just want to put explicit music in its own "adults-only" section. I'm borrowing these concepts from other sectors in popular entertainment such as movies and video games.

Forgive me for being judgemental, but I guess I became like this because I felt that everyone else was judgemental of me, and persecuted me for my differences with them. In turn, I felt very disdainful of them because of that.

With that said, I want to settle our differences by finding an "in-between" rule that satisfies everybody. I don't want the battle to rage on, but I don't want to surrender either; what I want is a treaty, or "tie," so that everybody wins and nobody loses. I will not rob you of your rights to listen to explicit music, but I still want to censor it so that I can be happy too, so I hope that you can still approve of a content ratings system, and perhaps, we can work on it together.

This is my concept for the musical content rating system:

ADVISORY (UNRESTRICTED) RATINGS:
Y (Youth) - mainly aimed at young children
E (Everyone) - suitable for all ages
PG (Parental Guidance) - parental guidance suggested
SG (Special Guidance) - special guidance suggested
SM (Semi-Mature) - recommended for semi-mature audiences (highest unrestricted rating)

RESTRICTED RATINGS:
PPO (Parental Permission Only) - children under 16 cannot obtain these recordings unless given permission by a parent or guardian; must show ID
MAX (Maximum Adult Explicit) - no one under the age of 18 is allowed to obtain recording with this rating; ID is required.

This is my content rating system concept so far; if you want, you can give me some input to tailor it to suit everybody, or perhaps even come up with your own rating system concept (as long as you come up with one). Thank you for your consideration.

Vyk
12-28-2009, 05:21 AM
You didn't say we can't listen to things, but you did suggest that they shouldn't be sold to us

Edit: Why are you trying to find a rule for the middle ground? The RIAA isn't going to randomly stumble across this thread and take your rating system into consideration :x

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 05:33 AM
What I meant was, if you want to get explicit music, just show an ID. It's the same with video games and movies when you go to the theaters, am I right?

And I hope to send this to the RIAA someday.

Momiji
12-28-2009, 05:36 AM
And maturity does not mean you have to tolerate profanities.

Yes it does. Tolerance of minor issues is something very much related to maturity.

By the way, let me make this clear: I NEVER SAID that you can't listen to explicit music. If you want to, fine, but I still want to curb it just a little bit. I'm not stopping you from listening to explicit music; I just want to put explicit music in its own "adults-only" section. I'm borrowing these concepts from other sectors in popular entertainment such as movies and video games.

Actually, yes you did. You clearly said you wanted music with explicit lyrics to be censored, which means that we can't listen to said music as it is meant to be heard. You're also treating music as a medium that's just as depraving as movies and video games when I notice a serious lack of evidence in such a concept.

but I still want to censor it so that I can be happy too, so I hope that you can still approve of a content ratings system, and perhaps, we can work on it together.

No need. It's fine as it is.

Also, your rating system is pointlessly complicated. Your Y and E are essentially the same thing. The same goes for PG, SG, and SM. Hell, the same goes for your PPO and MAX-- not to mention the latter are essentially the same as the Parental Advisory label now, with limitations one would put on a carton of cigarettes.

I fail to see what is wrong with the system as it is right now. If a child's parents were responsible, they would not allow their child to listen to things that they should not be listening to. If they choose to allow it, that's their choice. You have absolutely no right to interfere with that.

Again, I must ask, why are you so intent on censoring music? You don't even listen to it! No one's forcing you to listen to it! Why should everyone else have to bend over backwards just so you can be satisfied about something that doesn't even involve you, as you do not even listen to it?! Do you even realize how tech-savvy kids are these days? They'll download the damn music if they can't get their hands on it legally-- even more so than they do already. Do you intend to support that as well, when they have the available alternative of buying it, just so you have a little piece of mind that there won't be any albums that have offensive content in plain view that just make your poor sensitive eyes just melt out of your face?! It's not like you can hear the music from staring at the CD case. There is a Parental Advisory system in effect already. Many stores will not generally sell albums with Parental Advisory labels to anyone under 17 without parental consent. Anything more than that is ridiculous, and asking for more than that just so you can be satisfied is selfish.

Allow me to give you an example of how irrational this is.

I can't stand cigarette smoke. I can't breathe when people smoke around me. I think cigarettes should be banned from all stores, or at least removed from my sight, because for some reason, their existence makes me ill. There is already a law that states that anyone under 18 may not purchase them, and anyone who isn't obviously older than that must show ID. I don't like that! Let's bump the age to 21 for no reason, other than the fact that it would bring me peace of mind that my peers under the age of 21 can't smoke around me! I don't smoke, but I totally have the right to demand pointlessly strict laws so I, a non-smoker, can be more satisfied with it.

There. I provided an example of something that is actually harmful to me and the person smoking, and I still felt absolutely ludicrous typing all of that, and that is because no one is forcing me to smoke, and I'm not forced to be around people who do. I can just as easily do the mature thing and say 'Hey, uh, cigarette smoke triggers my asthma-- I'll be back when you're done'. Simple as that. However, there are children who are forced to be around cigarette smoke, in a house where their parents smoke. What about them? If you're going to demand stricter laws on something, how about something that actually has a definite cause for concern instead of 'ohhhhh, that word offends my poor sensitive ears, not that I even bother listening to it~ take it away, take it away!'

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 05:49 AM
To me, you are the ones who are selfish, not me. You tend to exclude the minority, and to me, THAT is selfishness. I speak on behalf of the few who do take offense to it. There may not be anyone here in the this forum, but elsewhere.

When I said I wanted music to be censored, I didn't actually state that you can't listen to it. If you want to listen to it, that's fine with me. Just don't expose me to it; remember, listener discretion is advised. And don't view me as immature, because I think all of you might just be mature in the wrong way.

And do music stores in America really require ID proof that you are 17 years of age or older to buy explicit music? I haven't seen that clearly stated yet; I'll believe it when I see it. I know that in Australia, they definitely have this rule in place, because I have done research on it. If Australia does it, why not America?

Momiji
12-28-2009, 06:01 AM
To me, you are the ones who are selfish, not me. You tend to exclude the minority, and to me, THAT is selfishness. I speak on behalf of the few who do take offense to it. There may not be anyone here in the this forum, but elsewhere.

Right, right. I'm selfish because a minuscule number of people aren't happy with something that doesn't fucking affect them. Get over yourself.

When I said I wanted music to be censored, I didn't actually state that you can't listen to it.

But that's what censorship is! Do you not even know what it is?! It ruins music by putting a bunch of distortion or silence over words that may offend people like you. Why don't you just back off and censor what you listen to, and tell whatever friends you may or may not have that are supposedly offended to do the same. After all, listener discretion is advised.

Just don't expose me to it; remember, listener discretion is advised.

I don't know how many times I have to say this. NO ONE IS MAKING YOU LISTEN TO IT.

And do music stores in America really require ID proof that you are 17 years of age or older to buy explicit music? I haven't seen that clearly stated yet; I'll believe it when I see it.

Some retailers (such as Wal-Mart) refuse to sell albums containing the label, and many others limit the sale of such albums to adults only, although, most stores have settled on an age limit of 17 in order to buy an album containing the label. In some countries, however, such as the United Kingdom, albums displaying the sticker are available for purchase by persons of any age. While the label is mostly prevalent on rap and rock albums, it can appear on any genre of CD which the RIAA believes warrants the need for one.
link for proof (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_Advisory)

I know that in Australia, they definitely have this rule in place, because I have done research on it. If Australia does it, why not America?

Because America happens to have a minute amount of sanity in that area. Why don't you just spare us all your whining and move to Australia? That way, we all win.

Sephex
12-28-2009, 06:05 AM
I don't mind swearing, but I get irritated when I feel a singer is swearing for the sake of swearing.

Vyk
12-28-2009, 06:06 AM
...never seen Momiji get worked up over something before. But all very valid points

Momiji
12-28-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm not worked up. I'm just emphasizing my points, because it seems everything else I say goes in one ear and out the other--- erm, in one eye and out the.... damn. It's not being actively perceived by the targeted reader.

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Well then, g'day, mates.

By the way, Momiji, I think you just double-posted by accident.

Momiji
12-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Yeah. I noticed. I only clicked once though. Interesting.

Vyk
12-28-2009, 06:12 AM
When I said I wanted music to be censored, I didn't actually state that you can't listen to it

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Don't get mad at me for saying this, but I think that you are mature in the wrong way.

Moon Rabbits
12-28-2009, 06:18 AM
RAWR, Momiji~

Also I have the sneaking suspicion that SuperMillionaire is a troll.

Vyk
12-28-2009, 06:19 AM
@SuperMill: You've said that twice and I have no idea what you mean by it. But it's hard to make me mad :]
<hr>
@Moon: I think he's just adamant in his world-view. He's not trolling the debate along anymore than the rest of us are

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 06:21 AM
RAWR, Momiji~

Also I have the sneaking suspicion that SuperMillionaire is a troll.

What do you mean when you say that I am a troll?

Vyk
12-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Forum trolls go around saying stupid/aggravating things purposely trying to get people to argue and incite general chaos

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Oh... oops, sorry about that.

I'm going back to the other music thread soon to post up more oddball mashups. Please don't view me as immature just because I don't like explicit lyrics.

G'day, mates. (I'm still living in the USA; always have, always will.)

Vyk
12-28-2009, 06:57 AM
To be fair, I don't necessarily think you're immature, per se. I think you're a little over-sensitive. Which could generally be derived from a lower maturity level. I think that's what others are assuming here. But I think you've already explained, you associate with a lot of older people who are sensitive, and they've apparently had a rather profound impact on you. Either that or your need to be sheltered has led you to them. But I'm pretty sure most of what I'm saying can be taken insultingly, so to paraphrase yourself "I hope you don't get mad at me for saying this" ;]

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm not mad. The technique I just used, as well as what you just used, is called "damage control."

Ouch!
12-28-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm not mad. The technique I just used, as well as what you just used, is called "damage control."
Pro-tip, damage control is typically more effective if you don't point out explicitly that's what you're doing.

Shattered Dreamer
12-28-2009, 05:40 PM
SuperMillionaire. Offended by profane music? Are you for real? People who complain about how offensive something is pi$$ me off to the highest degree! On every modern appliance be it a television, computer, radio etc. there is button called the on/off switch, ever heard of it? If you don't like what your seeing or hearing.............press it!

Swearing is commonplace is modern society because we have certain freedom of expression rights in most democratic countries. Censorship of mass media is a bad thing my friend. If everything was censored to the degree your insisting the minority you belong too would get trampled under foot with the rest of us!

And if you think your wholesome little Disney everyone always has to smile & never swear High School Musical/Jonas Brothers/Miley Cyrus reality is any better your an immature idiot. Miley Cyrus dresses in leather hot pants & grind a stripper pole at concerts where her audience are quite young. So just because her lyrics aren't sexual explicit her act is allowed to be? Your logic is very much a flawed one.

I agree with Vyk & Moon Rabbit that your a forum troll!

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't want you to view me as an immature troll, and I'm sorry for what I did. It's just that... well, I felt as if you persecuted me for not liking explicit music, so I wanted to defend myself. Please don't view me as immature or a troll.

Tavrobel
12-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm not mad.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2089/youmada.jpg

Ouch!
12-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Nobody was persecuting you for not liking explicit music. I don't think anyone really cares what your attitude towards explicit lyrics in music is. What people have been raggin' on you for is your insistence that explicit music be censored. You're asking for a rather extreme solution to a problem when there's a much simpler one: don't listen to the music. I can't think of any public venue you're forced to attend where explicit music is played. Radio already bleeps out a majority of the profanity, but even then, you don't have to listen to the radio.

I rue the day when a society is forced to cater to the whims of every individual. One's rights stop where another's begin. I'm not forcing you to listen to explicit music, so I'm not infringing on your rights. But demanding that music be censored across the board because it offends you does infringe upon my right to listen to it.

Moon Rabbits
12-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Pro-tip, damage control is typically more effective if you don't point out explicitly that's what you're doing.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Jessweeee♪
12-28-2009, 08:33 PM
It doesn't bother me unless it's like that one Limp Bizkit song that was like "if I say fuck one more time that's forty-six fucks in this whole fucking rhyme."

Though that's just annoying, not offensive to me.

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Nobody was persecuting you for not liking explicit music. I don't think anyone really cares what your attitude towards explicit lyrics in music is. What people have been raggin' on you for is your insistence that explicit music be censored. You're asking for a rather extreme solution to a problem when there's a much simpler one: don't listen to the music. I can't think of any public venue you're forced to attend where explicit music is played. Radio already bleeps out a majority of the profanity, but even then, you don't have to listen to the radio.

I rue the day when a society is forced to cater to the whims of every individual. One's rights stop where another's begin. I'm not forcing you to listen to explicit music, so I'm not infringing on your rights. But demanding that music be censored across the board because it offends you does infringe upon my right to listen to it.

Sorry, I guess I might have taken you the wrong way. But please don't view me as immature or a troll just because I don't like explicit music of other forms of entertainment with explicit content.

I Took the Red Pill
12-28-2009, 11:41 PM
I think the numbers in your own poll suggest that you are in the ridiculously overwhelming minority here. And once that is the case,

Think of it this way, SuperMillionaire. You are offended by profane language/themes. Now, suppose I am offended by anti-Christian themes (I'm not, but for the sake of discussion). I'm sure I could find a lot of other people who are, as well. Suppose my neighbour is offended by right-wing political music. He has a few friends who are of the same mind. Suppose my cynical friend is offended by love songs and finds them to cause him much heartache whenever he hears them.

Are record labels supposed to cater to all of these minority interests? Are they supposed to release versions of albums that censor all defiance of the Christian god, introduce labels to denote conservative themes? Are radio channels supposed to warn their listeners before each time they play a love song? You see, there's a world of difference between respecting minorities and catering to them. There has to be a limit to the lengths you go to make sure each individual is fully satisfied.

Shattered Dreamer
12-28-2009, 11:44 PM

Sorry, I guess I might have taken you the wrong way. But please don't view me as immature or a troll just because I don't like explicit music of other forms of entertainment with explicit content.

Broken needle much? Its your insistence that such profanity be censored because if offends you whether or not such censorship breaches free speech is what annoys everyone!

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Yes, indeed, I am, but still, please don't ridicule me for disliking profane lyrics.

I Took the Red Pill
12-28-2009, 11:46 PM
How are you being ridiculed? Your argument is being ridiculed because it contains innumerable logical flaws, but I don't see anyone launching a personal attack on you here.

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Oh... then I'm sorry, I guess I distorted you and took your motives the wrong way. When I first said that I don't like profane/explicit music, one of you said something that I mistakenly took as an insult, and decided to defend myself. The thing is, I don't tend to realize I'm doing wrong as I do it; it's always before or after, and never "during as."

Vyk
12-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Can't see the forest through the trees. Always good to take a step back and take a good objective look at things. Almost as good as hindsight. But a lot harder :}

SuperMillionaire
12-30-2009, 10:46 PM
I know, Vyk, tell me about it.

Vyk
12-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Its okay dude. You didn't offend anyone

SuperMillionaire
12-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll post up some more oddball musical mashups again soon.

NorthernChaosGod
01-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Looks like everything has been sorted out.

I'm not mad.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2089/youmada.jpg

http://doesitallmatter.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/i-lold.jpg

SuperMillionaire
01-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Uhhhhh... yes, I guess it has....