PDA

View Full Version : Tim Rogers' Kotaku writeup

Necronopticous
12-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Interesting writeup from Tim Rogers with lots of information:

Final Fantasy XIII Impressions: 15 Years Later, 25 Hours In - final fantasy XII - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5433455/final-fantasy-xiii-impressions-15-years-later-25-hours-in)

Also, I had official Final Fantasy XIII cookies last night.

http://www.necronopticous.com/upload/ffxiiicookie.jpg

Here's to hoping Final Fantasy XIII is anywhere near as good as those cookies were.

Psychotic
12-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Official cookies? Where'd you get your hands on those?

Pretty good read, though. Sounds like it'll be an interesting game at the very least.

Wolf Kanno
12-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Ouch... Not too thrilled about returning to the FFX style of game design.

Rantz
12-28-2009, 08:09 PM
I read parts of it and skimmed other parts. Entertaining and informative!

Vyk
12-28-2009, 09:06 PM
I read the whole thing for some reason and I can see the disappointment. But I think it won't be the kind of thing that will drive me away like some of the previous entries. But we'll see

Rad Bromance
12-29-2009, 12:05 AM
It sounds a lot like FFX in terms of linearity, and I happened to love X.

The only thing that I'm really disappointed about so far is that you can't control but one character at a time. I would much prefer the FFXII system over that. But who knows, I may end up really liking it.

That being said, in the clips I've seen, the story seems really interesting and the battles look quite fun, so I'm really excited, and from what most people have said who've actually played it, it doesn't start getting really good until a significant number of hours in, so I'll give it time before I judge it. :D

EDIT: Also, the comments about the "long cutscenes" means they probably haven't played FFX. Or Metal Gear Solid 4. :p

Rostum
12-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Wow, what a long winded review. I didn't read it all though. I'll still get it even if it gets bad reviews.

Flying Arrow
12-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Ouch... Not too thrilled about returning to the FFX style of game design.

Ditto. The game sounds fun in parts, but I get the impression a lot of it will end up giving me another case of Bevelle Disappointment.

Lawr
12-29-2009, 01:34 AM
Read it all and a good enough chunk of the comments.

I don't know. The review was entertaining and answered some of my questions but I'm still kind of confused about the game. I'd play it to the end if I had it but I don't know if it'd be another XII where the gameplay saves the story.

Moon Rabbits
12-29-2009, 04:01 AM
lol dungeon design.

Rad Bromance
12-29-2009, 04:30 AM
lol dungeon design.
Yeah, that's basically what I said when I saw those maps.

Apparently, that's only for the earlier portion of the game though.

Skyblade
12-29-2009, 05:26 AM
A very interesting read. The plot sounds very well crafted, so I look forward to it, even if the pacing is off. As for the combat, it could go either way, I'll just wait and see how it turns out.

Edit: I completely disagree with his comments on battle systems. Action games have a ton of things in their favor, but there are reasons that I play more RPGs than I do Action games, and one of those reasons is that I like the battle systems they offer. This one may not be the best ever, but that doesn't mean the entire idea of battle systems should be scrapped in favor of more action oriented gameplay.

Psychotic
12-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Hell, let's make this a "reviews we like" thread.

NotArrogant.com - Final Fantasy XIII, Reviewed (http://notarrogant.com/archives/video-games/final-fantasy-xiii-reviewed.html)

I think this is a pretty good review right here. I encourage you all to read it.

Wolf Kanno
12-30-2009, 05:48 AM
After reading both reviews, I like the fact that the second review gives an idea that the customization (stat/job class) side of the game might be a bit more promising than was first let on (which was basically its like the tedious Sphere Grid system :roll2 ) but as I thought, this game will come down to either being like FFX or Xenosaga Episode 1 in the fact that its all dependent on how good the battle system is (which I must say sounds really promising) and its story (which is still up in the air).

Rad Bromance
01-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Hell, let's make this a "reviews we like" thread.

NotArrogant.com - Final Fantasy XIII, Reviewed (http://notarrogant.com/archives/video-games/final-fantasy-xiii-reviewed.html)

I think this is a pretty good review right here. I encourage you all to read it.
I'm so excited! A fantastic, fair-minded review in English at last! :D

Bolivar
01-03-2010, 01:54 AM
I love Tim but he's crazy.

Necronopticous
01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Official cookies? Where'd you get your hands on those?
They were part of the Square-Enix holiday press package this last year. There were thirteen of them, of course.

Del Murder
01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Interesting reviews. The first one makes me not want to play it very much but the second one does. I don't have a PS3 though so it's all moot at this point.

I Took the Red Pill
01-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Interesting reviews. The first one makes me not want to play it very much but the second one does. I don't have a PS3 though so it's all moot at this point.do you have a 360? if not then nvm but you do realize it's coming out for XBox as well, right?

Rad Bromance
01-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Interesting reviews. The first one makes me not want to play it very much but the second one does. I don't have a PS3 though so it's all moot at this point.
Yeah, you can play it on Xbox 360 too! :D

Slothy
01-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Not a full review, but some quick impressions from RPGfan for those with ADD: RPGFan News - Final Fantasy XIII Impressions (http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2009/643.html)

I've got to say, from everything I'm reading I'm more excited about some aspects than I thought I'd be and even less excited about others. I really don't know what to think at this point. Sadly, I know I'll get it regardless so I just hope it isn't as bad as VIII.

xXsarahXx
01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
A good review, but ill wait until i get my review copy through :D

As long as its nothing like 12 ill be happy :D

Raistlin
01-05-2010, 05:00 PM
The second review Psy posted gives me a little more hope for this game. Which will make the crash all the more painful, but oh well. :p

Wolf Kanno
01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm pleased by the combat cause it sounds amazing (except for the summons but I never liked them anyway) but everything I've heard about the rest of the "gameplay" has me wandering why they even bothered making a game and not just make a movie since it sounds like the game has nothing to offer beyond the initial story. At this point it will be a gamble cause if the plot is truly amazing (and lord knows I don't trust reviewers when they talk about plot after the Crisis Core Fiasco) then perhaps the game can be forgiven for being paper thin on gameplay variety.

Raistlin
01-05-2010, 09:17 PM
The combat does sound interesting, which hopefully will be the saving grace of this game, because I am not very thrilled about a lot of the rest of it (story, map, lack of real towns, etc.). I'm not totally against any and all linear stories and gameplay, but I just don't have the faith in the FF series to make an exceptional enough story to justify it (see: Lunar SSSC).

Mirage
01-05-2010, 10:01 PM
EDIT: Also, the comments about the "long cutscenes" means they probably haven't played FFX. Or Metal Gear Solid 4. :p

Or it means that they thought those were too long too.

Del Murder
01-06-2010, 06:06 AM
do you have a 360? if not then nvm but you do realize it's coming out for XBox as well, right?
I sort of forgot, but I have neither. I'll probably never get XBox. PS3 maybe.

Skyblade
01-06-2010, 07:30 AM
do you have a 360? if not then nvm but you do realize it's coming out for XBox as well, right?
I sort of forgot, but I have neither. I'll probably never get XBox. PS3 maybe.

We'll have all of EoFF chip in a dollar a piece, and see how many CKs and Admins we can get PS3s for.:D

Mirage
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM
You can use the premium member payment savings!

Rad Bromance
01-06-2010, 09:57 PM

Or it means that they thought those were too long too.
True, however, if you read the fashion in which it's written, it's talking as if "Oh my, what have they done to FF! This has never happened before!" but FFX had both long cutscenes and a similarly linear map. :greenie:

Mirage
01-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah, well, it could sound like that. However, I find it unlikely that someone who imports FF13 hasn't tried FF10.

Zeromus_X
01-07-2010, 05:09 AM
So it's like FFX, but with scene skip?

I can get down with that.

Loony BoB
01-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Judging by the reviews, I'm going to go into this game like I went into the Avatar movie. Huge hype for a long period of time, people expecting to shake hands with God over it saying it's crap because, well, God didn't come out of it and shake their hand, and me losing a little hope over the game because people are slating so many things about it. And, with my expectations low from all of that, I will find it really, really good. Hooray for the craptalkers! They make my experiences so much better.

EDIT: And in the few occasions that people have raved about a game even after huge hype, I've always been disappointed - GTA IV a prime example. People raved and raved before and after it's release, I played it, it was eh.

Raistlin
01-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Most of this forum seems to have fairly mediocre expectations (including from me, which might even be lower-than-average), so you'll probably have to look elsewhere for your raving. :p

Wolf Kanno
01-09-2010, 06:35 AM
My feeling is that it will be good, but I'm not expecting it to surprise me or magically usurp my loosely defined hierarchy of top fave FFs. I'm pretty sure I'll be coming out of it with a "it would have been great if they did this..." mentality cause already I'm finding their gameplay direction to be on shaky ground. The combat system sounds awesome though.

Jessweeee♪
01-10-2010, 05:40 AM
The lack of towns was pretty shocking! The took so many risks with this game.

Just a little friendly advice: Those of you who are going to actually pay for the game and play it should go into it in EXTREME OPTIMIST MODE! If you have it in you to just enjoy the good things and not pick apart the bad, it'll probably be more enjoyable. Unless that happens to be the very thing you enjoy. I mean, you already payed for it, so have your money's worth!

I am super hyped and I am going to play and enjoy this game to my full extent and it will be wonderful!

Loony BoB
01-10-2010, 09:25 AM
I prefer going in pessimistic and being pleasantly surprised. That doesn't mean I look for bad things, rather the opposite, it means I look for good things and when I find a lot of them then I can only be happy. =]

DarkMassacre
01-29-2010, 06:11 AM
He recently put up a review on Action Button Dot net.

Long version

Action Button Dot Net (http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=630)

Short version

Action Button Dot Net (http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=631)

Yeargdribble
01-29-2010, 04:29 PM
I prefer going in pessimistic and being pleasantly surprised. That doesn't mean I look for bad things, rather the opposite, it means I look for good things and when I find a lot of them then I can only be happy. =]

I'm with BoB and probably Raist. I don't have high expectations and definitely below center, but I'm also reasonable. FF games have been able to surprise me before. Like many here, I hated the linearity and lack of a real world map in FF X, but overall I really enjoyed the game far beyond my expectation.

I want to stay in the middle or a little lower. I'm seeing too many people on either side of the fence making up their minds either mining for positive or negative reviews to support their preconceived opinions.