PDA

View Full Version : Going Away

Raistlin
12-28-2009, 05:04 PM
So I am leaving tomorrow for Bermuda for New Years and my dad's wedding, so try not to cry too much for the next week while I'm gone. You might managed to survive without me.

What countries have you been to? What adventures have you had in foreign countries? Did you drink the water? Have a baby with a local? I expect great tales when I get back.

Bunny
12-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I was in Mexico for like 15 minutes and I almost went to Canada once.

Old Manus
12-28-2009, 05:30 PM
England, France, Italy, Turkey, Germany, and I drove through Switzerland once and wasn't impressed. I'm such a man of Western Europe.

Rye
12-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Ireland (the republic - going to Norn Iron in 2010 to visit Hux's wee granny), England, Italy, Bermuda and both the British and US Virgin Islands if that counts.

I've not done much traveling at all yet in Europe - hopefully will finally do some of my outside of the UK traveling in spring, if my money holds out.

Enjoy Bermuda, it's really gorgeous and fun. The houses are pastel pinks and blues and yellows.

Rantz
12-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Spain (10 days in Barcelona, a week in Gran Canaria)
Scotland (one week, roadtripping all over)
Greece (one week, Crete)
Germany (one week, Rügen)
Switzerland (a few hours in Bern, a few in Basel, passed through x2)
France (passed through x2)
Denmark (passed through x2)

SuperMillionaire
12-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Canada (Quebec and Ontario), Mexico, the Bahamas, and the non-continental state of Hawaii.

To me, there are lots of places that I would like to visit. Going there is the hard part; I don't think I can handle 24 hours in an airplane. The longest I've gone on a plane is 10 hours, from the east coast of the continental United States to Hawaii. I don't think I can handle any more than that.

Miriel
12-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Del Murder and I went to South Korea (mostly stayed in Seoul) in October, Spain (Barcelona & Madrid) in May, and Mexico a few years ago.

South Korea was a lot of fun because my favorite Cousin and Aunt were living there and they were the most excellent hosts, EVER. We went all over the freakin' place, ate so much good food, hiked up a gorgeous mountain to find a buddist temple up at the very top, got all emotional at the Korean War memorial, etc.

Spain was harder because we don't know the language (that well). We got by though. We witnessed a pickpocketing incident which was great fun for us, pretty awful for the victim. But hey, if you're in Spain with your wallet right in your back pocket, you're just asking for trouble. Had a food epiphany while eating in a world renowned "street food" stand in La Boqueria, a huuuge open market place. The owner kept smiling at us and we asked what was good and he just sorta pushed food toward us. There was a moment where I couldn't speak, I was so amazed by the flavors and the textures of the food he'd given us.

Mexico was amaaazing. Can't wait to go back. We saw the pyramids, saw the ruins of ancient civilizations, lounged on the most beautiful beaches, and ate some seriously great food. We went hiking through the jungles, ziplining, cenote diving, went to a Mayan village and had home cooked food.

New Zealand is up next. :)

Photos from Korea: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2427/4051373474_14e81a36ed_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2475/4069286958_c7cd32d5d3_o.jpg

Photos from Spain: http://www.hannahsuh.com/Images/Blog/Spain014.jpg

http://www.hannahsuh.com/Images/Blog/Spain09.jpg

http://www.hannahsuh.com/Images/Blog/Spain010.jpg

http://www.hannahsuh.com/Images/Blog/Spain011.jpg

Photos from Mexico:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/TonyandHannah/Mexico/IMG_0867.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/TonyandHannah/Mexico/IMG_0851.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/TonyandHannah/Mexico/IMG_0684.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/TonyandHannah/Mexico/IMG_0679.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/TonyandHannah/Mexico/IMG_0578.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/TonyandHannah/IMG_0308.jpg

Chloe.
12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
The furthest I've been away from England, is France. :/ I've been there 3 times I think, once was on a school trip.

rubah
12-28-2009, 09:42 PM
this belongs in Wonder Square :colbert:

I've been to the United Kingdom and France and Germany. Didn't do anything heinously fun, though

Levian
12-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Sweden (Got a family cabin there by Lysekil, also been to Gothenburg, Kalmar and Gotland)
Denmark (Many day trips + a week in Bornholm)
Scotland (Edinburgh, two trips to L-BoB & Smitzy's place)
France (a week in Paris)
Spain (couple of Canary Islands + Mallorca and two trips to Alicante where my sister lived)
Italy (a week in Rome, a trip to Napoli and a trip to Ancona)
Croatia (Makarska, Split, Dubrovnik)
Bosnia & Herzegovina (spent a day in Muktar)
Thailand (One week in Bangkok, one week on Koh Chang which is a calm and nice island)
Vatican (When in Rome...)

I suppose that's it! Very tempted to go to either Jersey or Sardinia. I have a strange attraction towards islands. (not typical charter drunken teen trip rai rai islands like Ibiza and such.)

Shlup
12-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I spent a weekend in Mexico with my family when I was fifteen. We ordered a plate stacked with lobster and they served me booze, but my grandma took it away. Shooting fireworks was fun, so we smuggled a bunch back. The whole city was like a dollar store! Super fun!

For our honeymoon BJ and I went to Jamaica. Every Jamaican citizen has at least two jobs: taxi driver and drug dealer. On our way to our hotel the shuttle driver tried to sell BJ pot and coke. Walking to the grocery store four people offered us rides (it was two blocks) and three people tried to sell us pot. Going across the street a woman tried to sell us pot and offered to braid my hair, and then a guy tried to sell us mushrooms. In the resort was fine though; the employees were nice and it was all very luxurious.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/myjulywedding/honeymoon/HM15.jpg
Our villa's front porch.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/myjulywedding/honeymoon/HM05.jpg
Our villa was the blue one in the middle.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/myjulywedding/honeymoon/HM21.jpg
Across the street from the resort.

And then less than a week after going to Jamaica we took a bus from Seattle to Vancouver to get on our cruise ship to Alaska. That's it though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/ShlupQuack/alaska/01.jpg

Breine
12-28-2009, 10:47 PM
- Sweden (shorter trips to visit family)
- Germany (I live an hour away from Germany, so I've been there countless of times, all over Germany - also have family near Cologne)
- France (Been to France around 5-6 times or so on holiday - including 3 times in Paris)
- Spain (Mallorca, Barcelona)
- Italy (Sicily)
- The Czech Republic (Been there 3 times, and all three times in Prague + outside Prague)
- England (London)
- Slovenia (Holiday - e.g. went to Ljubljana)
- Croatia (1 day of driving in the countryside)
- Turkey (5 times or so - all summer holidays in e.g. Marmaris and Alanya)
- Greece (Rhodes)
- Belgium (Passed through)
- Switzerland (Two skiing trips in Verbier)
- Thailand (3 weeks of backpacking - didn't go to Southern Thailand, though)
- China (2 months of backpacking, from Beijing to Hong Kong)
- Nepal (Around 3 weeks of backpacking, Kathmandu and Pokhara)
- India (Around 1.5 months of backpacking, mostly Northern and Western India, but also Hampi and Goa in the South)
- Laos (2 weeks of backpacking in Northern Laos)
- Vietnam (3 weeks of backpacking from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City and through the Mekong Delta)
- Cambodia (3 weeks of backpacking - Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville and Siem Reap)
- Japan (1 week of "backpacking" in Tokyo)
- The US (Around 1.5 months of backpacking, starting from San Francisco going all the way to New York - other than those two cities we also went to:
- Yosemite, California
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Grand Canyon, Arizona
- Monument Valley, Utah
- Mesa Verde, Colorado
- Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico
- San Antonio, Texas
- Houston, Texas
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Memphis, Tennessee
- Nashville, Tennessee
- The Smokey Mountains
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Washington DC

...I think that about covers it?

Shlup
12-28-2009, 10:50 PM
I fucking hate you, Breine. *sigh*

Breine
12-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I smurfing hate you, Breine. *sigh*

:(

Momiji
12-28-2009, 11:02 PM
I've never been out of the country.

I rarely even go out-of-state. ;[

I Took the Red Pill
12-28-2009, 11:35 PM
I've been to Canada and The Bahamas. One involved reindoor pooping and Marine Land, the other involved copious amounts of alcohol, drugs, sunshine, and gold-digging women.

qwertysaur
12-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Canada, because we took a wrong turn :p
UK
Spain
That's it for me :p

Raistlin
12-28-2009, 11:55 PM
So I actually have internet tonight at my dad's - though he disconnected his do to not living here anymore and trying to sell it, I am mooching off the neighbor's.

Anyway, the only stories I've seen so far is Miriel who sadistically enjoyed the pain of someone losing all of their money, and Shlup who apparently looks like she does a lot of drugs. The rest of your have not done your job; you can't have visited all of those countries without SOME crazy adventure.

As for myself, previously I've only been to France and Canada, and both of those were years ago with family. This is also with family, but my soon-to-be-step-sister and her boyfriend bought me a bunch of drinks and got me drunk the last time we hung out, so I have high hopes.

Shlup
12-28-2009, 11:57 PM
FACT: All Americans do a lot of drugs.

Bunny
12-29-2009, 12:02 AM
I wish I was rich like the rest of you snobs.

Raistlin
12-29-2009, 12:22 AM
FACT: All Americans do a lot of drugs.

Yes, but they don't all look like it, fatty.

Shlup
12-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Yes we do, because we're white. All Americans are white. And all Americans do a lot of drugs. Ergo, all whites do a lot of drugs.

That's math for you. *shrug*

Rye
12-29-2009, 12:54 AM
When I was in Tortola, a small British Virgin Island, I walked towards a water fountain in front of a small chapel. When I touched the edge of it, it shut off a second later!

Loony BoB
12-30-2009, 09:07 AM
New Zealand
England
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Germany
Sweden
USA

And if you count a few hours between flights, Malaysia.

qwertysaur
12-30-2009, 01:54 PM
When I was in Tortola, a small British Virgin Island, I walked towards a water fountain in front of a small chapel. When I touched the edge of it, it shut off a second later!
The water was just shy :bigsmile:

Whenj I was in Spain there are these procession things during holy week, and one of th people on the trip with me freaked out because the robes they wore were just like the KKK, only in Black and later purple. :p

Shiny
12-31-2009, 05:47 AM
http://www.hannahsuh.com/Images/Blog/Spain014.jpg
That second picture looks like it came straight out of Assassin's Creed 2. I've been wanting to go Spain for years and my high school had a trip planned for Spain and Mexico, but there weren't enough people that wanted to go so it was canceled. :(

black orb
12-31-2009, 06:10 AM
>>> I`ll migrate to other countries as soon as I grow wings in my back..:luca:

Quindiana Jones
12-31-2009, 07:56 AM
Okay Global Warming, you've only got a few days to really pick up the pace.

Peegee
12-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Er..

I wanna go to the UK and Australia, but I have been to:

USA (California, Connecticut, Tennessee, Florida, New York, Arkansas, I'm sure there's others but I forget)

Canada (Northern Ontario, Vancouver, Quebec)

Hong Kong
China
Jamaica

I was a child(17) when I went to Jamaica, so while I had fun there, I didn't get to do anything. And now that I'm older, I'm scared to go back there xD

USA's misadventures were numerous but pretty tame. Should've had more fun in California but Mandee was busy as heck and Ashley didn't want to hang out :mad2: - the wedding was the best wedding I've ever been to though (no lie; all weddings ever since were dull and boring)

China I got to see my ancesteral land (it's some small village/town somewhere in China. I was lost so don't even try to ask me where I went), which was neat. I met the eldest living direct ancestor in my family line!

When I went to Hong Kong the first time, I had a blast. I spent 10 weeks there, and while I had to work as an auditor (what?) I spent the weekends partying. Yay.

Let's just say France makes good women =)

Kirobaito
01-02-2010, 06:12 AM
I've spent a couple of days in Vancouver/Victoria. That's in Canada.

Other than that, I've been:

Scotland, three months in 2008
--Lived in Edinburgh, saw Glasgow, most of the hielands, St Andrews, Coldingham (very small remote village near Berwick), and assorted other places
England
--London, 3 days in 2006
--London, 2 days in 2008
--Bath & Bristol, 1 day in 2008
Continental Europe, 2006
--Italy, 5 days
--Austria, 2 days
--Germany, 3 hours
--Liechtenstein, 1 hour
--Switzerland, 2 days
--France, 2 days

I believe I drank the water at all of these places except Italy. I look forward to seeing more of Germany and of the UK.

Loony BoB
01-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Still can't believe we never met. ;_;

Jess
01-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I've been to:

Scotland
I stayed there for a week at Daniel and Danielle's flat. Lev and Paul were also there! We got attacked by millions of mozzies. We got drunk!

Crete
The first place we stayed wasn't very nice. The food was gross, the hotel was gross. The place was just horrible. People were gross. A guy rented a moped and got hit and killed :( but we got transferred to another area which was gorgeous. Lovely food, friendly people.

Cyprus
My favourite place that I've been.. very lovely people and some of the best food I've ever had. I'd like to go back there. It was just beautiful. I liked going into the shops and seeing pretty lizards just sitting on the walls ^_^

Tunisia
I would have liked to have seen more of it as we went all-inclusive so we barely left the resort.

Egypt
Pyramids! :jess: Some guy offered my dad some camels for me.

Paris
In the 3 days I was there, I did a *ton* of sight-seeing. I went up the Eiffel Tower, but I got scared and couldn't make it right to the top, but I nearly got to the top! I was there for Valentines day. There is a ton of beggars in Paris, and tons of stray dogs. They have the best BREAD ever.

Bulgaria
It was a drinking holiday with a group of friends. It was tons of fun! It was sooo cheap, and I got to try Bulgarian food which was yummy. There was 10 of us, and we went out for a meal all together one day and had a meal each + drinks and it only came to like £30 in TOTAL. and it was a really nice meal, too. I went banana boating for the first time and totally freaked out and screamed at the man to take us back because there was literally *hundreds* of jellyfish under us and around us and I was petrified. I was too scared to go back in the sea afterwards and stuck with the hotel pool.

As for the UK, I've been all over the place in England. It's nice to go and see different cities and do different stuff! I'd quite like to go to Cumbria, soon because I'm always told how beautiful it is.

I really want to go abroad again this year. I'm not sure where to go yet, but I'm going to start shopping around soon.

Rantz
01-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Crete
The first place we stayed wasn't very nice. The food was gross, the hotel was gross. The place was just horrible. People were gross. A guy rented a moped and got hit and killed :( but we got transferred to another area which was gorgeous. Lovely food, friendly people.

Which city were you in?

Jess
01-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't remember. It was my first holiday abroad, and I was fairly young. :(

I'd quite like to go back to Crete, actually as the second place we went was lovely!

Jiro
01-03-2010, 01:19 PM
I've never been out of the country.

I rarely even go out-of-state. ;[

Although, going to Tasmania is like going to a whole other planet. One where the locals have multiple heads.

/in-joke

Rantz
01-03-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't remember. It was my first holiday abroad, and I was fairly young. :(

I'd quite like to go back to Crete, actually as the second place we went was lovely!

I absolutely loved Crete. We lived at a hotel in Chania, but every day we'd take trips out around the place. We found beautiful old rural villages in the mountains with the cutest little food places. At one place they didn't know English, so they showed us inside and let us pick our own meat out of the freezer. xD Ah, I'd love to go back some day. *nostalgic*

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-03-2010, 03:52 PM
I've been offshore in the waters of western Canada! Chasing whales!

And I was in Guadalajara, Mexico for 10 days on a mission to support Obama.

Also, North Carolina.

I will be going to Okinowa, Japan in a few days.
Also will be going to Guam, Thailand, Philippines, and a couple other islands. :D

fire_of_avalon
01-03-2010, 10:43 PM
I've never been out of the country. I rarely even go out-of-state. ;[

amen ];

The Man
01-04-2010, 03:40 AM
I've been all over the U.K. except Northern Ireland, all over Italy, to parts of Switzerland (southwest mostly if memory serves), to France, and to Belgium. Pretty sure those are the only countries I've been to, and I haven't been out of the country for a long time. Nearly all of the time I spent in Scotland was with my ex and we also met Looney BooB.

Raistlin
01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
So I'm back. You may rejoice now.

Bermuda is very nice, and the hotel we stayed at was amazing. Our adventures started when a bird flew into the suite through the balcony door, and we had to catch it to get it back out.

We stayed in Hamilton (near the middle), and we (mostly me, my now step-sister, and her boyfriend) found some good bars in town. The first one we went to was pretty dead, but the bartender was awesome and gave us a free round, as well as the layout of the nightlife. Another bar we found had a live band, and my step-sister cajoled them into playing David Bowie, and then sang along with them to "The Man Who Stole the World." Good fun.

Rye
01-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Hamilton is super nice, that's where I stayed in Bermuda. The houses are too cute and the signs are great. I actually saw one that warned tourists of "loose women" roaming about.

nik0tine
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I've been to Mexico, Trinidad and Tobago, and Canada when I was like 3.

theundeadhero
01-05-2010, 05:04 AM
You must have fallen in a triangle because there was a grammar error in your post. Don't worry, I fixed it for you.