PDA

View Full Version : Visually-3D video games?

SuperMillionaire
12-29-2009, 04:22 AM
I know that many games have 3D graphics, which are made up of polygon models, but the display format in which you see the action is still in 2D. In movies at the theather and more recently at home, some films use "3D glasses," which are special glasses that make the visuals on the screen actually appear in three-dimensions (in other words, the visuals appear to "jump out" at you). Could it be possible if video games, both at arcades AND at home, can adopt similar technology?

Rostum
12-29-2009, 05:38 AM
YouTube - Head Tracking for Desktop VR Displays using the WiiRemote (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw)

McLovin'
12-29-2009, 06:24 AM
It would have to not only games that change but the console would have to be something completely new to make it effective. 3-D is just making the image look weird and then wearing glasses to put it back into focus but games have you move in all different directions and angles so it would be pretty hefty undertaking to to. But the first company that does it will revolutionize everything.

EDIT: that video makes me squirm with glee.

Shoeberto
12-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Sony is pushing heavily for the PS3 to use 3D technology, and I'm fairly certain that most modern nVidia graphics cards for computers are capable of rendering games stereoscopically.

Some older games have ways of doing this, as well. For example, I recall in Jak II that you could unlock a 3D mode, which would render the game in a stereoscopic mode that you had to use the older style blue/red glasses to take advantage of.

SuperMillionaire
12-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Perhaps in the next generation, consoles could use 3D technology? Perhaps 3D glasses too?

Shattered Dreamer
12-29-2009, 04:18 PM
As far as I know BSkyB, the operators of Sky Digital are putting a lot of money into research & development of a 3d digital TV box so I'm sure Microsoft, Nintendo & Sony must have something in the pipeline as regards a 3d video gaming hardware.

I'm not really into 3d movies but if visually 3d video games are done well I reckon it could be pretty cool:cool:

SuperMillionaire
12-29-2009, 04:59 PM
They should use hybrid 2D/3D image projection, so that you can view images in both 2D and 3D.

ljkkjlcm9
12-29-2009, 06:05 PM
the Avatar video game has a 3-d mode that you can play the game in which Ubisoft says is the future of gaming, as necessary as surround sound (note: I still don't have nor find getting surround sound a priority)
Ubisoft counting on future of 3D gaming (http://www.financialpost.com/news-sectors/technology/story.html?id=2273679)

And Sony is pushing 3-d TVs for a 3d compatible PS3
Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D - Playstation 3 - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5408308/sony-to-upgrade-ps3-consoles-to-3d)

THE JACKAL

Mirage
12-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Any console or PC could technically render stereoscopic images, the only issues are that you'll get half the effective framerate compared with normal rendering, and that not all monitors work with the same kind of "3d glasses". If you want 60 fps effectively, you need 60 frames rendered per eye, which means 120 fps. If you can only do 40 fps, the percieved fps for the viewer would just be 20, which is pretty low. To get the framerate high enough you would either have to increase the power of the system, or decrease details/visual effects (compared to a non-3D game).

Rostum
12-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Sure, you can render in stereoscope. But you'll need more hardware to interact with it in 3D, which would make the experience oh so much better.

Which I suppose that's where the Wii's Motion Plus, Xbox's Natal and the PS3's Motion Controller come in. Though there's going to be many more options for interaction in 3D not just for video games, but for broadcasted TV itself; consider looking at some new technology coming out of MIT.

Mirage
12-29-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm looking forwards to one of those plugs I can put into my brain, myself.

Rostum
12-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Speaking of that... It is definitely highly likely that things will become thought-based controlled sooner than we all realise.

SuperMillionaire
12-29-2009, 10:53 PM
the Avatar video game has a 3-d mode that you can play the game in which Ubisoft says is the future of gaming, as necessary as surround sound (note: I still don't have nor find getting surround sound a priority)
Ubisoft counting on future of 3D gaming (http://www.financialpost.com/news-sectors/technology/story.html?id=2273679)

Sony To Upgrade PS3 Consoles To 3D - Playstation 3 - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5408308/sony-to-upgrade-ps3-consoles-to-3d)

THE JACKAL

I just watched Avaar the other day; it was awesome, from the storyline to the special effects and visuals, which were really groundbreaking.

And I would also like to see regular TV in 3D too. Perhaps a set of glasses packaged with each TV set. But I noticed that if you are viewing a 3D movie without 3D glasses, the visions will be blurry. Perhaps, will it be possible to have a 2D/3D hybrid projection that renders visuals in both 2D and 3D?

ljkkjlcm9
12-30-2009, 12:35 AM

THE JACKAL

I just watched Avaar the other day; it was awesome, from the storyline to the special effects and visuals, which were really groundbreaking.

And I would also like to see regular TV in 3D too. Perhaps a set of glasses packaged with each TV set. But I noticed that if you are viewing a 3D movie without 3D glasses, the visions will be blurry. Perhaps, will it be possible to have a 2D/3D hybrid projection that renders visuals in both 2D and 3D?

While I am fully aware that the movie is in 3-D, I was referring to the actual Video Game. The game itself is also in 3-D if you choose for it to be, and Ubisoft believes it's the future of gaming.

THE JACKEL

JKTrix
12-30-2009, 04:56 AM
There's a game called 'Invincible Tiger' out for the PSN and XBLA right now that can be played in 3D, if you have a capable TV, or if you have those old school red and blue glasses.

Slothy
12-30-2009, 01:17 PM
There's a game called 'Invincible Tiger' out for the PSN and XBLA right now that can be played in 3D, if you have a capable TV, or if you have those old school red and blue glasses.

Capable TV being the operative word, and why I don't think we'll see any 3D games using modern 3D technology any time soon. Any modern technique for making games 3D requires a TV with at least a 120hz refresh rate to prevent eye fatigue, but only a handful of HDTV's and Monitors do that right now, and you'd still have to get people to actually buy them which would require everyone who has an HDTV or computer monitor to upgrade. That'd be a hard sell when a lot of people have already upgraded for HDTV and are in no hurry for the next "best" thing.

SuperMillionaire
12-30-2009, 10:53 PM

THE JACKAL

While I am fully aware that the movie is in 3-D, I was referring to the actual Video Game. The game itself is also in 3-D if you choose for it to be, and Ubisoft believes it's the future of gaming.

THE JACKAL
Oh wow, okay then, cool.

Capable TV being the operative word, and why I don't think we'll see any 3D games using modern 3D technology any time soon. Any modern technique for making games 3D requires a TV with at least a 120hz refresh rate to prevent eye fatigue, but only a handful of HDTV's and Monitors do that right now, and you'd still have to get people to actually buy them which would require everyone who has an HDTV or computer monitor to upgrade. That'd be a hard sell when a lot of people have already upgraded for HDTV and are in no hurry for the next "best" thing.
Perhaps they can start mass-producing soon. Then again, personally, I think technology changes too fast for its own good. In fact, these days, everything in society changes too fast for its own good. We need some time to grow into a certain trend.

NorthernChaosGod
01-01-2010, 02:39 AM
YouTube - Head Tracking for Desktop VR Displays using the WiiRemote (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw)

That. Was. Amazing.

SuperMillionaire
01-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Indeed, NCG, and I hope it becomes a staple feature of video games soon.

Bolivar
01-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Sony is pushing heavily for the PS3 to use 3D technology, and I'm fairly certain that most modern nVidia graphics cards for computers are capable of rendering games stereoscopically.

Some older games have ways of doing this, as well. For example, I recall in Jak II that you could unlock a 3D mode, which would render the game in a stereoscopic mode that you had to use the older style blue/red glasses to take advantage of.

Yes and they've already displayed Gran Turismo and (more amazingly) Motorstorm running in 3d and it's supposed to be the bomb.

I honestly can't wait to see every screw and part from my buggy flying at my head when I crash, I know Dreddz feels me.

SuperMillionaire
01-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Oh yes, Bolivar; when I play a NASCAR game, I'd like to see spectacular crashes in 3D; the car parts will be flying at my face! Yikes!

NorthernChaosGod
01-02-2010, 12:20 AM
I think playing a shooter would be amazing with real 3D, it'd feel like a real VR sim.

Mirage
01-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Yeah finally I can become a real hard boiled soldier, complete with PTSD!

SuperMillionaire
01-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Yes, that would be pretty cool now, wouldn't it?

NorthernChaosGod
01-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Yeah finally I can become a real hard boiled soldier, complete with PTSD!

Then I'd have a good excuse not to go to work. :D

Mirage
01-02-2010, 01:57 AM
What, no you won't! That's my PTSD, you thief.

SuperMillionaire
01-02-2010, 03:09 AM
Ooh... I don't know about that...

NorthernChaosGod
01-02-2010, 08:39 AM
What, no you won't! That's my PTSD, you thief.

I'll fight you for it.

SuperMillionaire
01-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Uh-oh...