PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your forum skins?

Psychotic
12-29-2009, 03:10 PM
If you don't know what the poll is asking, full-width skins stretch threads to the full width of the page, and indented ones do not. If you still don't get it:

Full-width:

Classic
Metallic Blue
Fluffy Puff
Under the Sea
Christmas in Narshe!
Indented:

Aeris Reborn
Old-Skool
Mog's Fantasy
I guess you may as well post what your favourite skin is (and which one you use, if it's different) too! Personally, I have been switching between Classic and Narshe lately, and use whichever one I feel like on the day. :greenie:

Aerith's Knight
12-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I use indented, but I don't really care. All I care about is that it's black or brown. Bright colors on a computer screen give me a headache.

Rye
12-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Narshe is about the only full width skin I can use.

Indented is just cleaner to me. I don't know why, but it soothes my eyes to see negative space on either side. I think Aeris Reborn has the best indentation (for the few ezboard-esque forums I've made, they were always modeled after AR's indentation), but any indentation is good as well.

It just feels really ugly to see everything stretched out over the entire page. I don't know why, but it does. xD

I'm also a huge fan of having the profile info on the right, as opposed to the left, but that's just rocking the boat, I'm sure.

Breine
12-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Narshe is about the only full width skin I can use.

Indented is just cleaner to me. I don't know why, but it soothes my eyes to see negative space on either side. I think Aeris Reborn has the best indentation (for the few ezboard-esque forums I've made, they were always modeled after AR's indentation), but any indentation is good as well.

It just feels really ugly to see everything stretched out over the entire page. I don't know why, but it does. xD

I'm also a huge fan of having the profile info on the right, as opposed to the left, but that's just rocking the boat, I'm sure.

Word! - I like Aeris Reborn. I sometimes switch back to Classic just to get that nostalgic feeling, but I get tired of it after a few minutes. Too wide!

Psychotic
12-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Try using old-skool, Breine. It combines the dark blue of Classic with the indentation of Aeris Reborn.

Breine
12-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Try using old-skool, Breine. It combines the dark blue of Classic with the indentation of Aeris Reborn.

Alright, I'll give it a go :)

Vermachtnis
12-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Indented, I agree with what Rye said about it looking cleaner. I use Mog's Fantasy too. It's awesome.

Breine
12-29-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't know. There's something about the avatar and custom title being to the left of the post that doesn't click with me - I've probably just gotten too used to Aeris Reborn, where it's on top of the post.

Psychotic
12-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Yet again, Breine, I can help you with that! Go to your options and look for "Postbit location". If you select "Above the post" (I assume you're set to use style default) you can have it so that every forum skin displays the avatar and whatnot above the post.

Bunny
12-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Indented. Full-length just looks messy and kinda dumb.

I use Old Skool because it is the best one available but it is still kinda boring.

Rantz
12-29-2009, 06:02 PM
I like 'em indented!

I tend to switch skins a lot, especially now that I'm working a bit with skinning. But the ones I tend to use out of personal choice (i.e. not for reference or using as a base for a new skin) include Oldskool, Mog's Fantasy, Christmas in Narshe and BoB's Simplified.

Fonzie
12-29-2009, 06:19 PM
I prefer to use Old Skool since I've become used to the dimensions. :D

Shiny
12-29-2009, 06:31 PM
I like em' indented which is why I use Aeris Reborn, Oldskool and currently, Mog's Fantasy.

Breine
12-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Yet again, Breine, I can help you with that! Go to your options and look for "Postbit location". If you select "Above the post" (I assume you're set to use style default) you can have it so that every forum skin displays the avatar and whatnot above the post.

:aimkiss:

Rye
12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
I didn't know so many people prefer indented. I thought I was always the lone whiner! =O

Breine
12-29-2009, 06:46 PM
I didn't know so many people prefer indented. I thought I was always the lone whiner! =O

Yeah me too. For some reason I had the idea that a lot of people were like "CLASSIC IS THE ONLY WAY >:O!!!".

black orb
12-29-2009, 06:47 PM
>>> I dont care really, the skin I use the most is "BoB simplified style"..:luca:

Psychotic
12-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Well I think I know how my skins will be in future...

Marshall Banana
12-29-2009, 07:10 PM
I prefer full width, but I'd use an indented skin, if it's pretty enough. I think that 2.0 is way too small, though; Mog's Fantasy has a better width.

Shoeberto
12-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Indented. Full-screen used to make sense when monitors were smaller but now having a single line of text scroll up to 1680 pixels horizontally makes it difficult to keep up with. It's like reading a page in a book versus reading a page's worth of text from a book on a single, long sheet of paper, all on the same line.

Rye
12-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Indented. Full-screen used to make sense when monitors were smaller but now having a single line of text scroll up to 1680 pixels horizontally makes it difficult to keep up with. It's like reading a page in a book versus reading a page's worth of text from a book on a single, long sheet of paper, all on the same line.

Yeah! That's a good way of explaining it. It does look more like a book page.

I Took the Red Pill
12-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Old-School is my favorite, so indented.

rubah
12-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I dont have the attention span to read 1000 pixel wide paragraphs. It's bad typesetting

A List Apart: A List Apart (http://www.alistapart.com/topics/design/)

Old Manus
12-29-2009, 08:49 PM
EoFF 2.0 yo. I don't know who came up with this Aeris Reborn thing :colbert:

Namelessfengir
12-29-2009, 08:54 PM
i was using clout but it got killed so now i went to old school eventually ill head back to aeris reborn

Momiji
12-29-2009, 08:59 PM
For EoFF, indented. All the other forums I go to aren't indented, but I like them the way they are. However, I like all the information above the post (something that I can only do at EoFF compared to the other forums I frequent), and having the post section itself all stretched out (especially on a wide screen computer), it looks like :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Loony BoB
12-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Styles: EoFF Classic and Simplified.
Indentation: Don't care much, but if possible, full-width.
Postbit: Above the post.

Del Murder
12-30-2009, 09:18 AM
I use Classic at home and Simplified at work.

~*~Celes~*~
12-30-2009, 09:52 AM
I prefer full width, but I'd use an indented skin, if it's pretty enough. I think that 2.0 is way too small, though; Mog's Fantasy has a better width.

qwertysaur
12-30-2009, 01:56 PM
I have no preference :p

Jess
12-30-2009, 06:23 PM
2.0, indented.

It's the only one that is indented enough. the others are more pretty, and I would use them if they were the same width. 3.1 is not indented enough. :colbert:

but, I do prefer colours that are easy on the eyes rather than tons of bright vibrant colours. :jess:

NorthernChaosGod
01-01-2010, 02:13 AM
I use indented, but I don't really care. All I care about is that it's black or brown. Bright colors on a computer screen give me a headache.

This, except I do care about indentation. Full-width just looks messy.

I'm using Aeris Reborn currently, I'd like a darker one.

Jiro
01-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I prefer indented. Full-width is just so wide, when I first switched to using Narshe I freaked out a little

Lawr
01-01-2010, 06:47 PM
I always use Aeris Reborn but sometimes I like to switch the postbit to the left. I guess it's my favorite too. It has the dark colors, and indented is just generally better than full screen.

Bunny
01-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't see how anyone could tolerate the postbit being above the post. It just looks so empty.

Loony BoB
01-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I used to think that but had to use it for a long period of time when testing vB3 and it grew on me to the point of preference. Still like postbit beside the post as well, mind you, but prefer it above the post here.

Fujiko
01-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Mog's Fantasy! B)

Edit: and I voted 'indented'.

Edit 2: also it's ftw 'cause the moogle's holding a pink DS *proud of her pretty pink DS* :love:

Vyk
01-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Indented. I used to prefer Aeris Reborn. But switched to Mog's Fantasy. I liked Oldskool, but didn't stick with it, probably 'cause it wasn't indented. Its pretty and has an awesome banner. Which beat out AR. But Mog's Fantasy is indented and has had two awesome banners. Though as tacky as the old banner was, I preferred it. Better concept. But I guess a moogle playing DS is coo. Its still dark and indented. And for the record I think AR is indented -too- much. Mog's Fantasy is damn near perfection. And I love the icons :<3:

Momiji
01-02-2010, 12:53 AM
I don't see how anyone could tolerate the postbit being above the post. It just looks so empty.

Looks fine on an indented skin. It looks awful on a full-length one, though.

Vyk
01-02-2010, 12:58 AM
I'm trying it now with Mog's fantasy, and kinda liking it

Raistlin
01-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I use Classic, so full-width. But I don't feel strongly about it at all, so could switch to indented.

However, the postbit should never ever ever be above the post.