PDA

View Full Version : Windows Games (the Minesweeper/Pipe Dream variety)

Loony BoB
12-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Do you still play any? I used to play these by the bucketload - it's hard to define exactly which games are the "Windows games" I'm talking about now since windowed versions of other games kicked in, but for a good idea, think of Minesweeper, Solitaire, JezzBall, Pipe Dream, Chip's Challenge etc. I guess the best way to say it would be "Windows 3.11 compatible"!

My favourites were probably those mentioned above. There was also this awesome castle one, an RPG, which was really funky but I can't remember the name of it... anyone have an idea?

EDIT: I also like FreeCell. :D Taipei is okay.

EDIT: Castle of the Winds! That's the one. I think I might re-download that sucker sometime. xD

Shlup
12-30-2009, 11:19 AM
My friend's family were Chip's Challenge nuts. They had a list of the level codes by the computer and it was like a family thing to try and find the end. I loved that game.

JezzBall was cool, and I loved Pipe Dream. I still play Minesweeper. SkiFree was evil.

Levian
12-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I mostly just play Spider Solitaire these days if anything. Used to play a lot of Minesweeper, Taipei, Jezzball, Chip's Challenge and Maxwell.

Slothy
12-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Minesweeper and Solitaire got me through my second Chartered Accounting school course last year. I think I literally played Solitaire as much as I paid attention, but it must have worked. I not only started to win Solitaire a lot more than normal, I also passed.

I Took the Red Pill
12-30-2009, 06:18 PM
I still play Minesweeper every once in a while, and if I'm real bored, Solitaire.

Vyk
12-30-2009, 10:46 PM
I love Minesweeper... I don't play it so much anymore. I like logic puzzles. And process of elimination. i.e. I moved on to sudoku

Skyblade
12-31-2009, 08:15 AM
Don't have most of these anymore though, and I am very upset about it. Ski Free especially.

As a side note, I am currently looking for the Windows 3.11 era Tetris. Anyone seen it anywhere?

Bastian
12-31-2009, 09:11 AM
My family was too poor to own a computer back then, but when I would spend the night at my friend Harold's house, he would always go to be super early and I would stay up until what seems super-duper-late playing Pipe Dream. I was ADDICTED! That was the birth of my computer-related addictions/insomnia.

A half year ago or so I found and downloaded a zip of all those old Windows Games and have been playing them. Well, really only just Pipe Dream. It's STILL so addicting!

Jessweeee♪
12-31-2009, 10:32 PM
SkiFree Minesweeper and Jezzball :</>D

Værn
01-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Jezzball and Chip's Challenge were the bomb!
Also, lulz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpbikVG2t-I)

NorthernChaosGod
01-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Just played lots of spider solitaire, solitaire and minesweeper.

I've since disabled all games on my new Windows 7 machine.

Jiro
01-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Is Jetpack one of these? I played the hell out of that game on my granddad's computer, ended up with the best score out of all of my cousins :smug:

Other than that, Solitaire. I only started playing Minesweeper and FreeCell in the last few years. Mostly because I couldn't figure out how to play them :confused:

Now and then I'll play chess against the pc. I'm really bad these days :(

Loony BoB
01-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I think they made a version of Jetpack which could be run from 3.11, however it is overall a DOS game. I adored making challenging Jetpack levels and trying to beat them.

qwertysaur
01-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Castle of the winds was technically the first RPG I played. :p It is still fabulous and made of awesome too :D

also expert minesweeper is fun, see attachment for completion. Sucks sometimes when it is a guess to find a mine, but the tension you feel makes the game that much more fun when you either blow up or have complete victory.

Raistlin
01-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I played Minesweeper a ton when I was growing up. A fair amount of Solitaire, too, but mostly Minesweeper.

Sephex
01-05-2010, 10:18 PM
http://notdrugs.com/wp-content/uploads/Skifree_yeti.png