PDA

View Full Version : How to permanently forum ban someone?

Lionx
12-30-2009, 02:01 PM
I would kinda like to know. On another forum, someone would try to get back on the forum via proxies and other things like that. Is there anyway we can circumvent this? This guy LOVES to troll and feeds off of it so...yeah.

Loony BoB
12-30-2009, 02:09 PM
If they're registering under different account names which are being registered under different proxies then the most you can really do is blacklist certain proxy groups, as far as I recall. We once had to do something similar to this.

Mirage
12-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Other than to ban all known proxies, there isn't really a way.

Flying Mullet
12-30-2009, 04:24 PM
How many registrations do you receive in a day or week? If it's not too many, you can require moderator/administrator approval for all new accounts and see if you can spot the troll's new accounts this way and not approve them.

Rad Bromance
01-01-2010, 05:25 PM
How many registrations do you receive in a day or week? If it's not too many, you can require moderator/administrator approval for all new accounts and see if you can spot the troll's new accounts this way and not approve them.
This seems like the best idea, though even then, depending on how great of lengths he's willing to go to troll your forum, there's always the chance that he's going to get back in. But I say this way he'll more than likely get tired of having to make a new email, find a new working proxy, etc. faster.

ANGRYWOLF
01-01-2010, 09:22 PM
to change IPs and take other steps.

As for trolls, often people who are on the outs with moderators or who express an unpopular opinion are unfairly labeled trolls.
Not saying that is what is happening in this particular case.

But I'm against banning people except under rare circumstances as I've seen it abused on other forums.

:|

Lionx
01-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Lol you have no idea how stupid this guy is....in this current internet age, everyone seems to be somewhat of an asshole...

This forum is relatively small so personally accepting new accounts might be a good idea but might also kill the growth...thanks for the suggestion nonetheless, seems like a sticky situation.