PDA

View Full Version : FF Remake?

Rebellious Eagle
12-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Tetsuya Nomura To Announce Widely Requested Game Next Year on VGChartz.com (http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6329)
I pray that's it's actually an FFVI remake.
If any FF game is going to get remade, which game would you want it to be? VI for me, of course. But V would be nice, too. :3

black orb
12-31-2009, 08:23 PM
>>> Mystic Quest..:luca:

Bastian
12-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Secret of Mana? Seiken Densetsu III? Those are my preferences.

But I wouldn't mind a FFV or FFVI remake. Hell, I would even play a FFVII remake since I never have actually finished the original.

Elpizo
12-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Final Fantasy III (the real one) for PS3. V wouldn't be bad either.

But we all know this unannounced game is either FF VII Remake or Kingdom Hearts III. Nothing too interesting.

ANGRYWOLF
12-31-2009, 10:24 PM
everybody knows that.
There have been rumors for some time so it's no surprise.

The big question is whether there will be additional content to flesh out some of the characters.

:)

qwertysaur
12-31-2009, 10:56 PM
If it is Seiken Densetsu III then I'll be very happy :bigsmile:

VeloZer0
01-01-2010, 03:02 AM
It doesn't actually say it's a re-make, only that it has been highly requested and will be a big deal. Now, knowing this (and assuming he isn't talking out of his a**), what do you think would match the criteria.

I definitely don't think KHII would match this, as they keep chugging away one the KH series and it just seems inevitable. I've heard interviews where they said they were completely done with FFVII, and for the sake of discussion I'm going to assume that's true.

In terms of remake the most likely candidate in terms of scope of announcement would be FFVI, nothing else (sans FFVII) would hold a candle to it, imo. FFV, SDIII, or others might be well received, but so earth shattering.

I had a lot more in mind when I started this but I seem to be drifting off. To wrap up I would say we kind of seem like beaten dogs when we hear something will be exciting and we automatically assume anything that good must be a remake of something old, because they don't excite us with anything new.

NeoCracker
01-01-2010, 05:45 AM
The reason they assume this could be a Remake is because he's said it's something High in Demand, and the highest demands of square people have lately are remakes, so it's a reasonable assumption in this case I'd think.

That said, I do hope they continue on remaking 5 and 6 like they did 4 on DS, if only because it kept the awesome feel of the game, all while adding legitimate improvements to it, making it worth paying for again.

Though I do wish they would give us a New and original console RPG other then FF that is really good, like they use to be able to do so well. I don't think they've really done a great RPG outside of FF since the PS1 era. (I'm not counting action RPG's in this equation. :p)

ANGRYWOLF
01-01-2010, 06:05 AM
but a remake of FFVII would give them a much greater financial return than any other remade FF game.
I doubt remaking FFV or VI would be worth the trouble and would yield very much of a return on their investment.
shrugs.:|

NeoCracker
01-01-2010, 07:15 AM
They did it with 4 and got quite the return, and VI is more popular the IV was, so it's silly to think it wouldn't give out much of a return.

Not saying it would give out as much as VII, but with it's release on the PSN a year ago, I don't think they'll jump to remake it so soon. They are much more likely to try to milk there biggest money maker as much as possible before pulling out that remake. ;P

VeloZer0
01-01-2010, 07:22 AM
According to VGChartz (I have no idea how accurate they are, but probably a reliable enough ballpark) FFIII and FFIV for DS have a combined sales of over 3 million, and Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery had a combined sales of just barely over a million. To me re-releases look like a high return on investment compared to developing new games.

Shiny
01-01-2010, 11:21 AM
This thread can go here since the article is referencing Square-Enix titles -- not just Final Fantasy games. It could really be anything. I think it's too soon to tell whether it will be an FF game. It would be cool if they remade an older FF -- preferably FFVII or FFVI. I think if they remade any FF earlier than the ones I've mentioned, it would lose it's nostalgia.

Jessweeee♪
01-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Threads of Fate II

:</>D!

ANGRYWOLF
01-01-2010, 09:16 PM
They did it with 4 and got quite the return, and VI is more popular the IV was, so it's silly to think it wouldn't give out much of a return.

Not saying it would give out as much as VII, but with it's release on the PSN a year ago, I don't think they'll jump to remake it so soon. They are much more likely to try to milk there biggest money maker as much as possible before pulling out that remake. ;P

I just don't think a remake of V or VI would compare to a remake of FFVII in actual sales figures.

Believe as you will.

shrugs.

One wonders if the patent news recently publicized has anything to do with this ?

Rase
01-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Want a new game, will probably get a remake.

I don't think it will be FFVII though, for a few reasons:
1) People would want it to be the quality of the tech demo, which would be a ridiculous amount of work and money, which I personally don't think they would make back.
2) If I was Square I would be scared as hell to ruin peoples memories of the games (happened when I tried to play it again). However, if they try to fix/change things and make it a batter game, people will complain endlessly.
3) Didn't Square say they weren't doing anything else with this game?

I also think they've mentioned not doing much else with the Mana series after Dawn of Mana blew. I'm gonna go with a VI remake or maybe a remake/reimagining of an old property from the PS1 days. Or maybe a new Tactics game...

Momiji
01-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I don't really like the idea of any more remakes. I'd like to see something new and unique from S-E that I wouldn't have to buy a PS3 or PSP for :P

Vyk
01-02-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm all for a FFVI remake on par with what they did with IV but its probably too soon for that. They should probably do V first. But its probably the next Kingdom Hearts. Square likes to pretend they're announcing something sometimes when its just them revealing the inevitable

Wolf Kanno
01-02-2010, 05:58 AM
A new Chrono game... If there is one IP of Squares from the old days that has had massive fanbases and people whining about remakes and sequels for even longer than FFVII it is easily Chrono Trigger and the Chrono series. Perhaps the DS remake last year was a test run to see how interested people are.

I would also be happy to see them release a translated version of Seiken Denetsu III for DLC. Dissidia 2 or The World Ends With You 2 would be nice as well but I doubt either would be considered "big news"

As for the remakes of FFV, VI, and VII

Though VII would make the largest return, people expect the best of the best and the amount of money that would need to go into making that happen now would be staggering so I am in agreement with Rase that its still unlikely and as NeoCracker has pointed out, we can't give into the fans just yet while we can milk it for more. Personally, I wouldn't mind a VII remake only cause it would shut people up about it...

V and VI would be nice especially if the real major part of the announcement would be them getting a console remake but that is merely fanboy fantasy... Still, despite the article being short, I don't see how a remake of V or VI would be "big news" either especially when compared to a remake of VII. Now if they were going to announce they were remaking all three titles then we would have some serious :bou::bou::bou::bou: going on here and I would be happy. Especially if the games got remade on the Dissidia engine (I think a remake of VII should hold onto its anime roots and not go into the crappy AC realism look) I would also be pretty damn happy.

Still, I do feel that SE has a warped sense of reality and what they deem as "big news" is not the same as what fans would deem as "big news". It could simply be them porting KH1 and FFX to the PSP.

Fynn
01-02-2010, 04:28 PM
KHIII seems pretty logical. Or rather, I'd like this to be the case...

RedPouch
01-03-2010, 12:20 AM

I don't think it will be FFVII though, for a few reasons:
1) People would want it to be the quality of the tech demo, which would be a ridiculous amount of work and money, which I personally don't think they would make back.
2) If I was Square I would be scared as hell to ruin peoples memories of the games (happened when I tried to play it again). However, if they try to fix/change things and make it a batter game, people will complain endlessly.
3) Didn't Square say they weren't doing anything else with this game?
Now now, let's check the side and rear-view mirrors here first. In all honesty, I feel that a lot of remakes are made out to be a lot more difficult than they really need to be. But before I go into this, I want to state which games would be nice to see remade first:

-I think if they re-did Final Fantasy I and II with a more modern look to them, they'd be pretty successful and help RPG gamers that aren't really "old school" understand the origins of Final Fantasy better. By "modern look", I mean simply re-do the graphics, make some polished remixes of all the old musics that are actually good, fix translation issues, get some good voice acting. Don't mess around too much with the original battle/development system.

This isn't ever going to happen, I'm sure, but it would be nice.

-I would like to see a remake of FF VII as well. I know I'm probably going to get a firing squad on me for saying this, and everyone knows that I'm not exactly the biggest FF VII fan to begin with. In all honesty though, a remake would actually be nice. Again, all they need to do is give it a polished/modern graphics look and re-do the musics in a nice way. In short, all they have to do is give it a nicer presentation. Maybe get voice actors that aren't terrible? It'd also be a good chance for them to make Cloud's character a little more likable instead of being overly mopey. I wouldn't want them to change anything about the battle system or the development, though they might want to increase the difficulty of the Emerald and Ruby weapons, and hell, they might want to raise Sephiroth's difficulty as well considering how much of a joke he was.

Again, I already know this is a remake that won't ever happen, but it would be nice to see.

-I really, really hope they remake FF VI for the 360 or the PS3. Unfortunately, it'll probably be a DS remake made with the same lame chibi polygons as I'm sure they don't want to put too much effort into making a polished look and feel for an older game like this. I'd have the same expectations though: voice acting that's actually good, re-done musics that are actually good, and nicer graphics to give the game a little more life.

In short, I think that remakes should only be about fixing the presentation and translation issues. I'm not a fan of tinkering too much with any of the original battle system, game play, or development/advancement systems as I don't think there's any real need to. Sometimes it's best to just keep things simple.
[!]<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">[/!][!]Session data[/!][!]<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">[/!]

Rase
01-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Now now, let's check the side and rear-view mirrors here first. In all honesty, I feel that a lot of remakes are made out to be a lot more difficult than they really need to be.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the amount of work that goes into making a game nowadays, but the amount of time that it has taken Square to make a PS3 game (if we are assuming a FFVII remake would be on PS3, which I think most do) definitely gives me pause. However, I still hold that the main issue is that a game that played just like FFVII released nowadays would not sell well, and if they changed it there would be a mass outcry. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Square and it's shareholders are cautious to ruin any of the magic people feel toward the game, and so they're more then happy to just rerelease it on PSN where it's deficiencies are acceptable because it's a mid-lifespan PS1 game.

Back when I first played the game I enjoyed the crap out of it also. If I hadn't replayed it after playing more FF's and RPG's or hadn't waited until 2003 to replay than maybe I would still hold that view.

RedPouch
01-03-2010, 02:25 AM
However, I still hold that the main issue is that a game that played just like FFVII released nowadays would not sell well, and if they changed it there would be a mass outcry. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Square and it's shareholders are cautious to ruin any of the magic people feel toward the game, and so they're more then happy to just rerelease it on PSN where it's deficiencies are acceptable because it's a mid-lifespan PS1 game.
There's some merit in this concern, but I really don't think it would be that bad. I think a good way to play it safe would be to not change the presentation entirely, but instead to polish it while preserving its original integrity. One reason why movie remakes usually aren't successful is that they try too hard to "improve" it by adding things that weren't meant to be there, ie adding music that wasn't there to begin with, changing some of the music entirely, changing some of the dialogue, changing the script, changing characters and their traits or even on occasion adding new characters entirely, etc.

Now with a video game it's a bit different, and I'm actually in favour of changing the dialogue only in the direction of fixing translation issues . However I really don't like if they go too far with tinkering the original design and making it something entirely different. I honestly believe if they made a true remake which could honestly be called "the exact same game except with a presentation enhanced by a modern game engine", then it would be successful all-around. It [b]should get the appreciation from prior die-hard FF VII fans as well as some new ones.

I always thought that a FF VII remake would never be possible done since Square has announced many times that they'd never consider it, but I read an article that was linked somewhere on these forums which suggested it may be a possibility after all, but it's only rumours right now. I guess we'll see.

VeloZer0
01-03-2010, 03:43 PM
I would be scared as hell to see a FFVII remake. As we talked about in the Emo re -invention thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vii/126951-emo-re-invention.html), Cloud was a jerk in FFVII and in every interpretation since he is mopey/emo/whiny, take your pick of descriptors. I strongly dislike how he is portrayed in AC, KH1 & 2, and in Dissidia he is absolutely unbearable. After publishing four games with this radically changed and loserish personality, I can't see them not butchering him completely in a FFVII remake.

When I think re-make I usually think DS, as the investment in a PS3/XBOX (lol, just thought about remaking FFVII for Wii) is so much greater, and I don't know if the payoff is that significant to justify it. My most wanted would be from the DS, as I very much enjoyed FFIII & FFIV. I would very much like to see FFV done in the same style. (I think FFVI can stand on it's own without upgrades far better than any other SNES title.)

As for dreams, well one of three things:
New PS3 Chrono Game
Remake Chrono Trigger in full cell shaded next gen awesomeness
New next gen FFT entry (FFT is my favorite game ever, but I haven't been able to get more than an hour into either FFTAs)

I don't know how likely any of these are, but I can dream.

Slothy
01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
I just don't think a remake of V or VI would compare to a remake of FFVII in actual sales figures.

In sales figures no, but in terms of return on investment, they could actually make a higher return on DS remakes of FFV or VI. A PS3 remake of FFVII could easily cost in the realm of $20 million or more. The cost to remake a game on the DS would be substantially less, requiring a lot less in sales to earn an excellent return.

That doesn't even get into the fact that a VII remake that doesn't perfectly balance the feel of the old game with the right improvements in the right places will put off older fans, or annoy newer fans with outdated gaming conventions, or put off those who weren't big fans to begin with.

No matter what the case, a remake wouldn't be remotely as successful as the original. Personally I'm hoping for a Chrono sequel even if I doubt their ability to do it right.

ANGRYWOLF
01-03-2010, 08:34 PM

In sales figures no, but in terms of return on investment, they could actually make a higher return on DS remakes of FFV or VI. A PS3 remake of FFVII could easily cost in the realm of $20 million or more. The cost to remake a game on the DS would be substantially less, requiring a lot less in sales to earn an excellent return.

That doesn't even get into the fact that a VII remake that doesn't perfectly balance the feel of the old game with the right improvements in the right places will put off older fans, or annoy newer fans with outdated gaming conventions, or put off those who weren't big fans to begin with.

No matter what the case, a remake wouldn't be remotely as successful as the original. Personally I'm hoping for a Chrono sequel even if I doubt their ability to do it right.

I don't know what percentage of rpg fans/FF fans own one..as a percentage of the total group.

We had a discussion in anotrher thread about some franchises Square was ignoring and Chrono was in that group.
I don't know if Square is interested in making another Chrono game.

Greed will determine what Square will remake. I don't think alienating old FFVII fans even enters their thought processes. Only how much of a profit can be made and I think FFVII has the greatest profit making potential for a remake over any of the old FFs.

VeloZer0
01-03-2010, 10:06 PM
From what I remember reading, it is not so much that they are neglecting the Chrono franchise as they don't want to touch it now that they don't have the team to do it right anymore. Which is something I can respect.

champagne supernova
01-03-2010, 11:24 PM
I don't think it could be a Kingdom Hearts game, because the majority of that team are still working on Versus XIII, which will only be released in 2010/2011. And there is already a KH title due to be released on PSP.

But I think the team responsible for the DS remakes are doing very little. Unfortunately, so is Production Team 1, the guys who've just finishing producing XIII, which makes this less clear-cut. And these guys would only do something large-scale. And, as XIV has its own Production Team, that means that if something is announced from them, it'd be XV or VII. Matsuno's old team will probably do something involving the Ivalice world (like Vagrant Story please), but I have no clue why anyone would be asking Nomura about anything from Ivalice.

So I reckon its a FF remake. And as Nomura wasn't heavily involved in the creative input of anything before the Playstation era, I reckon its VII.

VeloZer0
01-04-2010, 12:11 AM
I would sure hope that as soon as FFXIII was wrapped up they started piecing together their FFXV team asap. Not that they would need to announce it right away, but seeing as the development cycle is so long it should *hopefully* already be in the pipe.

Bastian
01-09-2010, 06:47 AM
I also think they've mentioned not doing much else with the Mana series after Dawn of Mana blew.
I'm a Mana fanatic, and I never read any such thing. The only things I read Mana-related after the "World of Mana" series of games came out was that their creator Iishi left S-E to form his own company. But that still leaves Mana in S-E's hands, of course, so they could still manage new Mana games.

I think Chrono games are not gonna happen because it's been said that they would only do another one if they could reassemble the old team, and that is nigh impossible.

Sadly, I think we're just looking at KHIII, and S-E's tendency to over hype announcements.

But I would LOVE FFV on the DS ala the FFIII/IV remake style.
Or a FF:CC game on the Wii in the style of the original for the GC.

Super Christ
01-10-2010, 02:42 AM
I would like to see a DS remake, in the style of FFIII and IV, of any of the first 6 they haven't done yet, i.e. FF1, 2, 5, or 6.

A new Chrono game would be even better, but I don't want to hear it from Tetsuya Nomura, I want to hear it from Masato Kato.

Kingdom Hearts III is a safe bet though.

Wolf Kanno
01-10-2010, 05:10 AM
He might finally release real info on Versus XIII as well...

champagne supernova
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
He might finally release real info on Versus XIII as well...

Let's not be overly optimistic here.

Wolf Kanno
01-11-2010, 02:09 AM
A man can dream can't he? ;)

I'm still betting on something mundane like a port to PSP or something put on DLC.

NeoCracker
01-11-2010, 04:07 AM
The reason no one mentioned a Chrono Game is no one really wants them to make another, given the lack of original team. I have no real faith in them to be able to make a game with Chrono in the title that won't let down it's predecessors in some way or another. :p

arcanedude34
01-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I REALLY hope they don't skip FFV DS and go right to VI. Please, Square? Please? You can stick in horrible voice acting like in IV... or, you know, some info on Versus or Agito, maybe?

How much do you want to bet it's a remake of Final Fantasy I for... God, is there any platform left for them to remake it on?

ANGRYWOLF
01-11-2010, 11:38 PM
The reason no one mentioned a Chrono Game is no one really wants them to make another, given the lack of original team. I have no real faith in them to be able to make a game with Chrono in the title that won't let down it's predecessors in some way or another. :p

about alienating the fans.
They only care about making the biggest profit they can.

FFVII gives them that imo while Chrono and previous first gen FFs doesn't/can't do it for them.

NeoCracker
01-12-2010, 02:00 AM

about alienating the fans.
They only care about making the biggest profit they can.

FFVII gives them that imo while Chrono and previous first gen FFs doesn't/can't do it for them.

But the Previous FF's, IV-VI, have been doing it for them. Rather well I might add.

And as has VII with its many spin offs and PSN release, which they are also still making money off of. The moment they announce an FF VII remake, the amount they make on that will drop significantly.

FF V and VI however, wouldn't effect the sales of FF VII's PSN and still make them quite a bit of money. If they want the most out of FF VII, they'll wait until they can't milk their PSN one any more before making the remake.

ANGRYWOLF
01-12-2010, 03:31 AM
In Japan or in the US/Europe ?

How many people as a percentage of total rpg players own the handhelds ? A DS or a PSP ?

I have an old gameboy advanced but I haven't bought new games in several years. If I find out about an older game I want that will work on the advanced I can go to a used game store or a pawn shop and look for the game.
I don't feel any need to buy a new PSP or a DS.
In my view they brought the DS out too soon after the gameboy advance.It made the advance obsolete too quickly and seemed like a move made to take advantage of the fans with a higher priced system.

I wouldn't buy a PSP or a DS to play handheld versions of FFV or VI when I can still play the old versions of the games.

If others disagree that's fine.Shrugs.

VeloZer0
01-12-2010, 03:41 AM
Their DS remakes are selling ~ 3x as well as their new IPs (Last Remnant & Infinite Undiscovery), and probably cost a fraction of the cost to develop. I can't foresee them not riding that gravy train all the way through V and VI.

ANGRYWOLF
01-12-2010, 04:18 AM
List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games)

I can't verify how accurate this list is.
So draw your own conclusions.

Slothy
01-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't buy a PSP or a DS to play handheld versions of FFV or VI when I can still play the old versions of the games.

Not to sound rude, but Square don't need you to buy a PSP or DS to buy new releases of older FF titles. There's plenty of market out their for either platform seeing as how there are more DS's out there than any current gen console, and even the PSP isn't exactly left out in the cold with almost as many sold as there are Wii's out there. Even tapping into a small fraction of those markets nets them more profit than similar sales on a current gen system thanks to lower dev costs, and prices that are pretty high in relation to the cost to produce.

Whereas a DS or PSP game may only need 50,000 units sold to turn a nice profit, a PS3 game as an example would be at least an order of magnitude higher before turning a profit given the difference in design budgets. We're talking about the games that can be produced for a couple of million on the DS and PSP tops, and games next gen titles that can cost upwards of $20 million. If I really had to choose which to produce based on profit alone I'd go with the cheaper game with a larger potential audience hands down. Not only are they cheaper, but you can put the budget for a next gen title towards several smaller titles too. Sometimes it's best not to put all of your eggs in one basket afterall.

List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't verify how accurate this list is.
So draw your own conclusions.

Not trying to sound rude, but posting a list isn't exactly an argument. What point were you trying to make with this?

ANGRYWOLF
01-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Just that it didn't seem the FF DS and PSP games sell as well as some people claim.

shrugs.

I realize it cost less to make a PSP or a DS game than a Playstation 3 game.Heck it seems it's cheaper to make an X-Box version of a game and then port it over to the Playstation 3.Sony has made things stupidly, in my view difficult for developers.

I'm not even for a FFVII remake. I think the game was fine as it was.But fans I have met on other forums seem to be clamoring for a remake and sadly some of them obnoxiously so in their insistence.

I assume we will at some point see another Square website with a clock ticking down and when it reaches zero they will make an announcement as to which game it is and then we'll see who was right.

Slothy
01-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Just that it didn't seem the FF DS and PSP games sell as well as some people claim.

shrugs.

If people are claiming that they sell 5 million copies or so then sure, they don't sell as well as people claim. But people here aren't really saying that. And all the list really tells us is that the FFIII and IV remakes didn't sell almost six million copies. But if you take a look at the individual system lists that one links to, the remake of IV sold over 1 million copies. Revenant Wings sold about the same, and so did Dissidia. The FFIII remake sold 2 million copies worldwide.

Even at 1 million copies these games are moving 1/5th the number of units that FFXII did, and that FFXIII is likely to sell. I guarentee their budgets weren't 1/5th of what FFXIII's was when it was all said and done, and their selling for more than half what a next gen game does. I could throw out a lot of estimates and assumptions, but that'd be pretty pointless. The point is, selling almost as many units as the big next-gen titles (more in the case of games like the Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery) means that these games are making them plenty of money. Possibly even more than a next-gen title like FFXIII will.

ANGRYWOLF
01-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Remake Final Fantasy 7 Petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/ff7remke/petition.html)

I stumbled across this by accident btw...

If you don't agree you can email the guy behind it and tell him what you think.

I'm not going to bother doing it but if anyone feels otherwise have at it.

:)

Rostum
01-13-2010, 07:30 AM
next gen titles that can cost upwards of $20 million

I am unsure if people realise, but after listening to a lecture and talking to a senior publisher for Activision, you're looking more at $40-50 million to produce a AAA title game for PS3/Xbox 360/PC. There's a lot at stake with these huge budget productions, and the demands from gamers are insane.

There would have to be a lot of well thought out marketing and research done in order to pull off a Final Fantasy VII remake in a high budget project.

Edit: Oh I read that petition. It's so uninformed of what actually goes into the production of such a large project. They pretty much have no idea and it won't be enough to make Square-Enix consider it - not to mention the plethora of petitions in the last decade having no impact.

champagne supernova
01-13-2010, 12:45 PM

I am unsure if people realise, but after listening to a lecture and talking to a senior publisher for Activision, you're looking more at $40-50 million to produce a AAA title game for PS3/Xbox 360/PC. There's a lot at stake with these huge budget productions, and the demands from gamers are insane.

There would have to be a lot of well thought out marketing and research done in order to pull off a Final Fantasy VII remake in a high budget project.

$40-50 million to start a game from scratch. Think about the hours of work that get put into thinking up what the game is about, creating characters, getting a story together. Then they create concept art for towns, characters, enemies which eventually get toned down and rendered.

Final Fantasy VII has a story. It has its towns. It has its enemies. It has its characters. Already designed. Actually, redesigned in Advent's Children - and apparently the Crystal Tools engine can render AC in real-time. So, that means they don't have to create textures for all the characters. And they can re-use parts of it for Edge and a few other places. And they've got the first couple minutes of the game done as a technical demo.

So, if you note all the things they don't have to do in creating the game, it'll most probably cost half to 2/3rds of a regular AAA title game. And, with one of the most rabid set of fanboys/girls on the planet, it could be one of the most profitable remakes in existence.

Slothy
01-13-2010, 01:27 PM
So, if you note all the things they don't have to do in creating the game, it'll most probably cost half to 2/3rds of a regular AAA title game. And, with one of the most rabid set of fanboys/girls on the planet, it could be one of the most profitable remakes in existence.

Even assuming they could save that much from skipping the concept phase of the game and having the engine and some potential assets, it's still a huge investment, and you can't simply bank on it doing as well as the original, or that the very vocal fans of the game outnumber those who don't want a remake or didn't like the original. You've got to remember that most people in a remakes potential market have already played and formed an opinion on it, and many people don't like it or don't like it enough to buy a remake.

They'd still have to do some careful market research before going ahead with one, and there'd still be no guarentee that it would be more profitable than putting the same budget into handheld remakes.

champagne supernova
01-13-2010, 04:42 PM
you can't simply bank on it doing as well as the original, or that the very vocal fans of the game outnumber those who don't want a remake or didn't like the original. You've got to remember that most people in a remakes potential market have already played and formed an opinion on it, and many people don't like it or don't like it enough to buy a remake.

They'd still have to do some careful market research before going ahead with one, and there'd still be no guarentee that it would be more profitable than putting the same budget into handheld remakes.

Advent Children (which was pure fanboy deluxe material) sold 2.4 million copies. And that could only be watched by people who had played FFVII if they had any desire to understand the movie. Crisis Core has sold 2.1 million copies (and one must understand that the PSP has one of the smaller ownership bases).

Anything related to Final Fantasy VII sells unbelievably well. And even if some original owners do not buy the remake, there is a whole new generation of young consumers who never played the original but have been brought up (in a gaming sense) with FFVII as this blazing beacon of all that is good with RPGs.

So, there is immense amounts of money to be made in a remake of FFVII. But I hope they're making a remake or sequel to Vagrant Story. One can only hope.

Slothy
01-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Advent Children (which was pure fanboy deluxe material) sold 2.4 million copies. And that could only be watched by people who had played FFVII if they had any desire to understand the movie. Crisis Core has sold 2.1 million copies (and one must understand that the PSP has one of the smaller ownership bases).

Anything related to Final Fantasy VII sells unbelievably well. And even if some original owners do not buy the remake, there is a whole new generation of young consumers who never played the original but have been brought up (in a gaming sense) with FFVII as this blazing beacon of all that is good with RPGs.

So, there is immense amounts of money to be made in a remake of FFVII. But I hope they're making a remake or sequel to Vagrant Story. One can only hope.

Yes, all of those sold well it's true, but they're nowhere near the almost 10 million in sales that FFVII originally pulled. In fact, most of the entries since VIII are hovering around the 5-6 million mark. Which is where my point comes in. Yes, they could make an FFVII remake and if it sold 5 million copies it would likely be quite profitable. However, the return on investment wouldn't match what they get from stuff like the FFIII and IV remakes, or Crisis Core or Dissidia with only 1-2 million in sales. So yeah they could make an FFVII remake, or they could keep making twice as much return on their investment (or possibly more) with the smaller franchise titles they're putting out now. I know what I'd choose if I were out to maximize my return, and it wouldn't be a full blown next-gen FFVII remake.

Rostum
01-13-2010, 08:55 PM

$40-50 million to start a game from scratch. Think about the hours of work that get put into thinking up what the game is about, creating characters, getting a story together. Then they create concept art for towns, characters, enemies which eventually get toned down and rendered.

Final Fantasy VII has a story. It has its towns. It has its enemies. It has its characters. Already designed. Actually, redesigned in Advent's Children - and apparently the Crystal Tools engine can render AC in real-time. So, that means they don't have to create textures for all the characters. And they can re-use parts of it for Edge and a few other places. And they've got the first couple minutes of the game done as a technical demo.

Hmm, I don't know about that. Perhaps they have a lot of material they can use, but I still believe they'd need to spend a lot of time in the pre-production phase. There is only so much they can use from the film and the tech demo, and as I said a gamer's expectation of AAA titles is just the most insane thing ever, so attention to detail is going to be the most expensive aspect of the project.

But damn I'd love a remake of FFVII. :)

I am unsure about sale figures and all that stuff though, I really am not one to look into it. But I am assuming it'd sell very well.

Wolf Kanno
01-14-2010, 05:10 AM
They could always do a toned down remake and just use the same graphical style of Crisis Core/Dissidia/Kingdom Hearts II and then save the next gen cgi to the actual major cutscenes like the original.

This could cut the budget down to something a little more reasonable and it would use a format that many of the in-house developers are accustomed to so making it will take less time than normal. Besides, I feel this animation style suits the original character designs of VII better as I've always felt VII (and Nomura) should stick to his anime roots. I feel this would be a safer process of doing a remake, stick to the game original design roots, and would appease all but the most die hard of fans.

Bolivar
01-15-2010, 09:02 PM
well, it's a game he gets asked about all the time, first response is FFVII. But if you remember last year when they had that DSigma XIII Z whatever the hell event, they said they had a huge announcement for PS3 owners that would be so huge, it would counter the multiplatform announcement for XIII. I think it ended up being Advent Children Complete, and the fact that it would have a demo of XIII on it in Japan.

Yeah, so I'm already preparing myself to be let down.

Lastly, I just don't know if a FFVII remake would work anymore. Uematsu said he would totally sign on for it, like he has for the other remakes, under the condition that they keep everything the same. This is an unfeasible condition. Some of the camera angles, like an overhead view of Cloud when he's talking to Tifa and Barret... this just wouldn't work anymore if the game was made in HD.

But WK had a good idea about that. I've never really thought about it like that, but I'm sure the fans would cry for blood if it wasn't the utmost quality graphics throughout the whole thing. Honestly, I'm not even sure if I would like realistically proportionate Cloud. I was... almost a little disgusted when I saw his face in the Tech Demo.

Probably Kingdom Hearts III.

Rostum
01-24-2010, 12:06 AM
As much as a fully-fleged high production HD remake of FFVII would be cool, I'd presonally be more in favour of this kind of style (of course I am just talking art style, not graphical quality which many gamers don't seem to understand):

http://www.andriasang.com/blog/2010/01/23/tetsuya_nomura_on_cloud/images/2132404981_view.jpg

By the way, does anyone know where that is from?

Anyway... It doesn't look like Nomura is hinting at an FFVII remake at all. (http://www.destructoid.com/don-t-expect-a-final-fantasy-vii-remake-anytime-soon-161352.phtml) I think this is very lame, not because I want an FFVII remake, but just because of how vague Square and Nomrua are in what direction they are heading. That and the fact that they want more Cloud cameos... Which could lend itself to the announcement being Kingdom Hearts related, and that would be even more lame as we pretty much just got Days and Birth By Sleep.

Well, I'm honestly sick of Square's vague announcement of an announcement type marketing strategy. But I'd love it to be an original IP, or maybe a revisit of the Mana series (done right), or even a third Chrono game.

Roogle
01-24-2010, 12:22 AM
That picture looks like it is from a game in the Itadaki Street (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itadaki_Street) series.

I hope that the announcement is a Final Fantasy VII remake because the original title has not aged very well. I remember being confused at certain plot events because I could not tell what was going on due to the graphical limitations. The scene where Cloud attacks Aerith after the Temple of the Ancients was particularly confusing to me.

VeloZer0
01-24-2010, 01:36 AM
I hope that the announcement is a Final Fantasy VII remake because the original title has not aged very well. I remember being confused at certain plot events because I could not tell what was going on due to the graphical limitations. The scene where Cloud attacks Aerith after the Temple of the Ancients was particularly confusing to me.

I think it was supposed to be confusing.

Have you ever played the PC version? It doubles the resolution (or is that quadruples? I never know) making the sprites much less jagged and looks a lot better in general. Even without adding detail a lot of older 3D games look much better if they can just render at a higher resolution and look less pixilated.

Roogle
01-24-2010, 01:47 AM
No, I have not played the PC version.

Much of my confusion is probably because of the fact that I have not played the game since I was a child. I recall that most events that confused me were the parts that Sephiroth would take control of Cloud, but, as I mentioned before, there are a couple of events that stick out in my mind.

- Cloud at the Honeybee Inn if he chooses not to go to bathe with the musclemen.
- Cloud and Aerith after the Temple of the Ancients.
- Cloud and Aerith at the City of the Ancients shortly before her death.

These are events that, I think, given today's technology would be much more meaningful and less confusing even if they were intended to be confusing.

Depression Moon
01-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Threads of Fate II

Hell Yes!

Rostum
01-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Threads of Fate II

Hell Yes!

Let it die, let it die... :D

Rase
01-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Nomura: No on Final Fantasy VII Remake, yes on Cloud cameos (andriasang.com blog, 01.23.2010) (http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/01/23/tetsuya_nomura_on_cloud/)

On the always hot topic of future developments for the Cloud character, Nomura said the following: "Fans are looking forward to an oft rumored remake of FFVII, but I don't believe this will happen for the time being. However, it's possible that he will appear in other titles as a guest character."

Rostum
01-25-2010, 08:25 AM
I guess no one reads my posts. :(

Rase
01-25-2010, 04:33 PM
I just forget things easily.

Roogle
01-26-2010, 05:23 AM
Thank you for the post, Rase. A part of me feels like Square Enix is pushing back a remake of Final Fantasy VII indefinitely until technology has advanced to the point that they could make it an extremely memorable experience — something that can be compared to the leap from two-dimensional graphics to three-dimensional graphics.

I guess no one reads my posts. :(

Where did you post this information before?

Wolf Kanno
01-26-2010, 05:46 AM
I know it may be too soon but still considering how crazy SE is, I wouldn't put it past them. Is it possible Nomura may announce Dissidia 2?

Of course, knowing our luck the Big announcement was FFI and II for the IPhone...

Rostum
01-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Where did you post this information before?

It's no biggy, lol. But it was two above Rase. :p

Anyway... It doesn't look like Nomura is hinting at an FFVII remake at all. (http://www.destructoid.com/don-t-expect-a-final-fantasy-vii-remake-anytime-soon-161352.phtml)

Either way, I am unsure if the announcement would be Dissidia 2. Didn't the original announcement say that fans and media have been requested it for many years (as in a decade or more)? Also the FF1 and FF2 remake for the iPhone looks cool (wish I had an iPhone), but that'd be such a lame announcement (then again it is Square).

Bastian
01-26-2010, 11:33 PM
maybe a revisit of the Mana series (done right),
A remake of Seiken Densetsu III done in a more modern graphical quality (something more akin to the first Crystal Chronicles game) for the Wii would be a brilliant move because most non-die hard Mana fans don't even know about the existence of that game since it was never released outside of Japan and so a lot of people would buy it. And even Mana fanatics like me would buy it.

Of course, this is just a silly wish on my part. I know it's unrealistic.

black orb
01-26-2010, 11:56 PM
>>> No FF7 remake? then make the FF8 one..:luca:

Roogle
01-27-2010, 12:06 AM
A remake of Seiken Densetsu III done in a more modern graphical quality (something more akin to the first Crystal Chronicles game) for the Wii would be a brilliant move because most non-die hard Mana fans don't even know about the existence of that game since it was never released outside of Japan and so a lot of people would buy it.

I agree. For some reason, the early Seiken Densetsu games seem to be of much higher quality than the newer Seiken Densetsu games. Maybe it has to do with the multiplayer element involved? I think that a port of the game with online capability would be a great idea for a project for Square Enix.

Wolf Kanno
01-27-2010, 04:38 AM
A remake of Seiken Densetsu III done in a more modern graphical quality (something more akin to the first Crystal Chronicles game) for the Wii would be a brilliant move because most non-die hard Mana fans don't even know about the existence of that game since it was never released outside of Japan and so a lot of people would buy it. And even Mana fanatics like me would buy it.

I would actually settle for a translated version of the game available on DLC personally. The same goes for FFIII despite owning the DS version I wouldn't mind getting an official Famicom Version. :D

Rostum
01-27-2010, 10:38 AM

I would actually settle for a translated version of the game available on DLC personally. The same goes for FFIII despite owning the DS version I wouldn't mind getting an official Famicom Version. :D

I must admit, I'm not a huge Mana fan as I used to be but Seiken Densetsu III, Secret of Mana and Legend of Mana are such brilliant games in their own right. I'd love them to be released as DLC (WiiWare, PSN, whatever).

I still think there's signs of life for a third Chrono game. The developers, including Mitsuda, are still very intersted; "Chrono Break" is still registered in Japan; Game Informer ranked the Chrono series eighth among the "Top Ten Sequels in Demand"; Jeremy Parish (Electronic Gaming Monthly's June 2008) cited Chrono as the franchise video game fans would be most thrilled to see a sequel to; and in the first May Famitsu of 2009, Chrono Trigger was placed 14th out of 50 in a vote of most-wanted sequels by the magazine's readers.

However, I am assuming this information is correct but not authorotative as it's from Wikipedia. It'd just be a matter of people looking up those magazines which I'm too lazy to do.

Roogle
01-28-2010, 05:40 AM
I still think there's signs of life for a third Chrono game. The developers, including Mitsuda, are still very intersted; "Chrono Break" is still registered in Japan; Game Informer ranked the Chrono series eighth among the "Top Ten Sequels in Demand"; Jeremy Parish (Electronic Gaming Monthly's June 2008) cited Chrono as the franchise video game fans would be most thrilled to see a sequel to; and in the first May Famitsu of 2009, Chrono Trigger was placed 14th out of 50 in a vote of most-wanted sequels by the magazine's readers.

I agree. One of the things that comes to mind is the aggressive actions that Square Enix takes against Chrono Trigger projects like Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes (http://crimsonechoes.com/) and Chrono Trigger: Resurrection (http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/). If they had no interest in making another title, why would they protect this game over other titles with more active hacking communities like Final Fantasy Hacktics (http://www.ffhacktics.com/)?

Wolf Kanno
01-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I can see SE wanting to make another Chrono game, my guess is they are still trying to establish a core team to work on it though. SE apparently has gotten a ton of new guys that are used to make the ports and remakes for the series to build up their skills before tackling on bigger projects. Of course Wada said he wanted the new core FF team to make something next gen so they can approach the FF series differently, yet he never said the games had to be original.

Come to think of it, I remember another game Nomura is working on that sorta dropped off the radar but is still being worked on and has a bit of a following. Parasite Eve:The 3rd Birthday, that game's been in production for how long now?

Roogle
01-29-2010, 07:26 PM
The 3rd Birthday is slated to be released this year for the Playstation Portable. It looks like the game had made headlines in 2008 and dropped off the radar in 2009, and that might be the reason behind its seemingly long development time —

Kyros
01-30-2010, 01:58 AM
Fans have been talking about a FFVII remake for forever, but SE has never said before that they plan on doing it to my knowledge. I've always heard theyve specifically said they dont want to do one, and I dont care if they never do personally since its not near the best one of the series =/

Even though it wouldnt be a remake I'd like to see a Saga game like Saga Frontier 1 and 2. The other Saga games I've played suck pretty hard so idk if this is going to happen or not.

Mercen-X
02-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Romancing Saga was okay. Though I still haven't taken time out to beat it. The Frontiers had me too confused and the dungeon system for Unlimited Saga almost made me homocidal.

As for the remake, well I've never played it but I suppose Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden/Mystic Quest or known as Adventure in the US. Does anyone else see Advent Children as a nod to Final Fantasy Adventure?

Speaking of which, my second choice is obviously going to be VII. I just get easily tweaked by the freaking polygons. I personally don't care if they stick to using the original FMVs. Naturally, if they remade VII, they'd have to include tidbit spoilers about BC Jenova, CC Genesis, and the DGS of the Dirge to come.

Sephiroth
02-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Although I would love a remake of Secret of Mana I still want a Final Fantasy V for DS, Final Fantasy VI for DS or PS III and of course Final Fantasy VII for PS III - remakes, of course.

I think there's the possibility of all three Final Fantasy being remade. So I don't mind which once is announced first.

Anyway now that they are done with Final Fantasy XIII the Final Fantasy VII staff of Square-Enix could work on Final Fantasy VII. And I hope for it.

Rostum
02-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Fans have been talking about a FFVII remake for forever, but SE has never said before that they plan on doing it to my knowledge. I've always heard theyve specifically said they dont want to do one, and I dont care if they never do personally since its not near the best one of the series =/.

Actually, they've said in numorous interviews that they are very interesting in remaking FFVII. It's just that they have other projects to work on.

Anyway now that they are done with Final Fantasy XIII the Final Fantasy VII staff of Square-Enix could work on Final Fantasy VII. And I hope for it.

I believe the "FFVII team" are working on Versus and Kingdom Hearts 3. Though I might be wrong.

Sephiroth
02-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I believe the "FFVII team" are working on Versus and Kingdom Hearts 3. Though I might be wrong.

We don't even know if they have already started with Kingdom Hearts III although I think so - of course then just a little bit.

Ouch!
02-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Fans have been talking about a FFVII remake for forever, but SE has never said before that they plan on doing it to my knowledge. I've always heard theyve specifically said they dont want to do one, and I dont care if they never do personally since its not near the best one of the series =/.

Actually, they've said in numorous interviews that they are very interesting in remaking FFVII. It's just that they have other projects to work on.

It's the Kingdom Hearts team that's working on Versus. The "FFVII team," as I understand it, is divided largely across multiple different projects with a bulk of them working under Nomura (which would, indeed, suggest they're working on Versus). Given that the Versus team is, for all intents and purposes, the Kingdom Hearts team, I sincerely doubt they've made much progress on KH3 beyond maybe early stages of pre-production, most likely limited to Nomura beginning his conception for scenario development.

Mercen-X
02-03-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm guessing that some of this "outspread" team is also devoting time to Final Fantasy XIV MMO. Personally, I don't like any game that I have to pay for more than once (unless I accidentally break my copy), and I hate Square for breaking up my collection by puttin XI and XIV online. If they could just release a sub-branch on PSP or DS (like Ragnarok is doing), I'd be a happy little penniless bum-covered-in-trash camper. Because I'd willingly pay any amount of money to get my hands on such a product. Particularly with such, there's the possibility of being able to play as NPCs from the online game. But I'm way off-topic now so...

Suikojowy
03-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Eh, I'm one of the people against this idea. Chances are it is an FF7 remake and I probably just have a bad case of nostalgia goggles but I'd like to see FF7 kept as it is, with as much of it's integrity in tact as possible after all the prequels, sequels and spin offs. I'd rather see teams focused on making new, main series Final Fantasies than remaking old ones.

Also I hate Cloud's new design and I just know they're going to use it.