PDA

View Full Version : The playstation store is finally getting awesome.

Pete for President
01-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I bought Metal Gear Solid 1 on the playstation store today and I'm completely back in the classic mood. Vagrant Story is available aswell (for only about 6 euro's ;o) and FFVIII is coming soon.

Who else is up for these kind of updates? Which classics would you like to be re-released on the PSN? And do you think the future will bring PS2 classics to the network? Also, will Xbox Live do the same?

Discuss!

Vyk
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
360 just has Castlevania SOTN. Other than that its just Xbox games. So the concept is still there, but Xbox had nothing for memorable games compared to the Final Fantasies, Dragon Quest, Xeno, Metal Gear type games :[

If I had a PS3 or something, I think I'd want the more obscure awesome games, to get some recognition they missed. Like Koudelka, Klanoa, Spyro... Its hard for me to answer though 'cause I have no idea what's already on there xD

Shoeberto
01-02-2010, 07:31 PM
The PSN definitely has some ballin' ass classics. I wanna go back and get the Crash and Spyro games I never got when I was a kid. I'd love to see PS2 games go up but that's all rumors. The most recent rumor that made me happy was that we'd be getting PS2 and Dreamcast games, but eh.

The PS3 most certainly has taken a long time to deliver unique features to match the 360, but at this point I'm pretty happy I picked mine up.

LunarWeaver
01-02-2010, 08:02 PM
I want Parasite Eve 1 and 2 :colbert: Maybe if the 3rd game would actually fucking be released, they would.

Flying Arrow
01-02-2010, 10:06 PM
I love this, but I still own all my original copies of most of my favourite Playstation games, including Square's classics. I was actually thinking of giving Vagrant Story another spin in the ol' PS2.

NorthernChaosGod
01-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I have my hard copies of all my old PSX games still, but I don't own them all. Do they add any extras to the PSN releases?

Vyk
01-02-2010, 10:24 PM
They should let you punch in the serial number or something for games you own and let you download them for free so you don't have to pull them out of a box

NorthernChaosGod
01-02-2010, 10:26 PM
That would be pretty amazing. It'd save me all the trouble of getting emulators running properly since I can't be bothered to set up my PSX.

Bolivar
01-03-2010, 12:57 AM
I got a PSP Go for Christmas and didn't even bother going to Gamestop for my usual day-after-XMas buying with the money I got. I bought Final Fantasy VII, VIII, FFTactics, Gran Turismo PSP, Harvest Moon Boy & Girl, and God of War Chains of Olympus all online. I own many of the original games, too, but the fact that I can now take them on my PSP appealed to me immensely.

I feel they've already caught up to XBox Live arcade, with most (but still not all) releases coming out on PSN, a day or two tardy at the latest. But on top of that, there's incredibly interesting and unique games like FloWer and the PixelJunk series that you simply can't find anywhere else.

So yeah, with PSOne Classics, unique PSN-exclusives and all the best multiplatform downloadable console games, the PSN is definitely in its prime.

Rostum
01-03-2010, 01:58 AM
I hope we start to see more small indie developers making stuff for PSN via Minis.

But yeah, lots of cool classic PSX games on there that I have been tempted to buy and probably will soon enough.

NorthernChaosGod
01-03-2010, 10:44 AM
I got a PSP Go for Christmas and didn't even bother going to Gamestop for my usual day-after-XMas buying with the money I got. I bought Final Fantasy VII, VIII, FFTactics, Gran Turismo PSP, Harvest Moon Boy & Girl, and God of War Chains of Olympus all online. I own many of the original games, too, but the fact that I can now take them on my PSP appealed to me immensely.

I feel they've already caught up to XBox Live arcade, with most (but still not all) releases coming out on PSN, a day or two tardy at the latest. But on top of that, there's incredibly interesting and unique games like FloWer and the PixelJunk series that you simply can't find anywhere else.

So yeah, with PSOne Classics, unique PSN-exclusives and all the best multiplatform downloadable console games, the PSN is definitely in its prime.

Aside from legitimate ownership, are there any differences between the downloads and the original discs?

Dignified Pauper
01-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I think we will get PS2 games emulated at some point because the memory card option for a PS2 is still on the PS3 slim. Why have that on there if you are taking it away completely.

Slothy
01-03-2010, 01:34 PM
I think we will get PS2 games emulated at some point because the memory card option for a PS2 is still on the PS3 slim. Why have that on there if you are taking it away completely.

Probably because it was easier to leave the feature in since it didn't do anything than remove it and have to do more bug fixing? That'a a possible explanation anyway.

I know Sony have said in the past that they will not release PS2 games on the PSN for the PS3 so I don't expect them to do it. Especially since the GOW collection shows they can repackage games in HD and make more money off of them, not to mention they're still supporting the PS2. Seeing as how the PS2 still sells well and makes a fair bit of profit on everything, I'm not so sure they'll want to undermine that in the near future.

Shadowdust
01-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Aside from legitimate ownership, are there any differences between the downloads and the original discs?

Nope, just the convenience of not popping in a disc as well as the ability to transfer to your PSP.

I know Sony have said in the past that they will not release PS2 games on the PSN for the PS3 so I don't expect them to do it. Especially since the GOW collection shows they can repackage games in HD and make more money off of them, not to mention they're still supporting the PS2. Seeing as how the PS2 still sells well and makes a fair bit of profit on everything, I'm not so sure they'll want to undermine that in the near future.

On the other hand, if Sony wants to encourage PS3 sales, at some point it would make more sense to emulate PS2 games on a PS3 and discontinue the PS2 console. As you said though, for the time being, the PS2 does still sell well so it won't be in the near future if it happens at all.

KentaRawr!
01-06-2010, 06:53 AM
When it comes to downloading old games, Nintendo has everyone beat.

Rad Bromance
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM
When it comes to downloading old games, Nintendo has everyone beat.
This is true. ZSNES is wonderful! :D

Old Manus
01-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Shall I get Vagrant Story y/n?

Rad Bromance
01-06-2010, 10:21 PM
It's a fantastic game but holy cow is it hard at parts.

It's probably the hardest game Square ever developed.

JKTrix
01-06-2010, 10:59 PM

As far as the memory card thing goes, it's because that feature is a part of the firmware. No sense having a different firmware just because the system can't do it. They just took out the hardware and specific (firmware-independant) software related to the PS2 so that it wouldn't recognize PS2 games that makes that memory card just a useless extra.

You could, however, use that feature to back up/manage all your PS2 saves, even if you don't use the games in that system.

NorthernChaosGod
01-07-2010, 01:06 AM

Nope, just the convenience of not popping in a disc as well as the ability to transfer to your PSP.

well, legitimately. You can do all that now without the PSN store already. =\

Pete for President
01-07-2010, 08:15 AM

I'm thinking of getting it too, but I don't have that much time on my hands so I'm still in doubt.

Bolivar
01-07-2010, 05:31 PM

I could maybe answer that best in the opposite - there's even a color manual you can access from a menu when you press the PS-button(on a ps3)/Home-button(on a PSP).

Basically, it's an emulator with some features. All of the games you download are the actual data from the discs you bought back in the day. Just you can access a menu to look at the manual, have save states (on PSP), faster loading in some cases (as well as a "fast loading" feature), and use smoothing on some games. The original Metal Gear Solid on a Standard-Definnition TV with smoothing turned on looks incredible.

NorthernChaosGod
01-08-2010, 04:42 AM

I could maybe answer that best in the opposite - there's even a color manual you can access from a menu when you press the PS-button(on a ps3)/Home-button(on a PSP).

Basically, it's an emulator with some features. All of the games you download are the actual data from the discs you bought back in the day. Just you can access a menu to look at the manual, have save states (on PSP), faster loading in some cases (as well as a "fast loading" feature), and use smoothing on some games. The original Metal Gear Solid on a Standard-Definnition TV with smoothing turned on looks incredible.
Now this is what I'm talking about, that actually sounds pretty rad.

Thank you.

GhandiOwnsYou
01-10-2010, 05:32 AM
The Memory Card transfer really isn't AS useless as it sounds. If anyone else is like me, and downloaded the PSN classics for PS3, you can transfer your save files from your PSX and PS2 memory cards onto your PS3, and access them from your downloaded games. does come in handy. It was nice to jump back into old FFVII or Twisted Metal saves, not have to start from scratch.

Bolivar
01-11-2010, 12:11 AM
The Memory Card transfer really isn't AS useless as it sounds. If anyone else is like me, and downloaded the PSN classics for PS3, you can transfer your save files from your PSX and PS2 memory cards onto your PS3, and access them from your downloaded games. does come in handy. It was nice to jump back into old FFVII or Twisted Metal saves, not have to start from scratch.

Yeah, the memory card adapter was important purchase for me early on. It's great if you got a PSOne/PS2 Slim that you travel with back and forth.

doeboyfresh14
01-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I hope they release Parappa the rapper. Oh the memories. that and the twisted metal games.

GhandiOwnsYou
01-11-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm about 90% sure Twisted Metal 2 was on there the other day.

Wikipedia confirms as released on PSN in '07

KentaRawr!
01-12-2010, 04:41 PM

YYYYY

Bolivar
01-12-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm about 90% sure Twisted Metal 2 was on there the other day.

Wikipedia confirms as released on PSN in '07

yeah i got it.