PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider sushi to be?

KentaRawr!
01-04-2010, 05:57 PM
I've been arguing with a friend of mine recently. I'm on the side that sushi is not simply raw fish, and my friend is on the side that sushi is. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to rely on other people's judgment for this. My friend told me that in most developed countries, people will tell you that sushi is raw fish. I doubt that this is true, mostly because he listed off Japan as one of the countries that would tell you this. So, I decided I'd make a poll on this forum.

So, what do you think when you hear "sushi"?

Old Manus
01-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Raw fish

I Took the Red Pill
01-04-2010, 06:11 PM
When I hear sushi I think of raw fish, but I think those more knowledgeable than myself call the raw fish sashimi? Never liked it til I had it at NOBU, then I was like kasdgadkjgadgja mmmmmmmmm

KentaRawr!
01-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Raw fish

Rawr.

Mirage
01-04-2010, 06:37 PM
So what is it if it isn't raw fish?

Shoeberto
01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
At the places I've gone, sashimi has been raw fish, and sushi has been rolls of various fillings inside of rolls of rice and seaweed. Then again, I've only had sushi in the midwest of America, and I don't feel like that necessarily makes me an expert on the subject.

KentaRawr!
01-04-2010, 06:50 PM
At the places I've gone, sashimi has been raw fish, and sushi has been rolls of various fillings inside of rolls of rice and seaweed. Then again, I've only had sushi in the midwest of America, and I don't feel like that necessarily makes me an expert on the subject.

That's basically how it is for me. I mostly was willing to argue with this friend of mine because he said to me, "Once on a fishing trip, I decided I'd take a quick bite out of one of the fish I caught. That's what sushi is, just so you know." and that's what started our debate.

Bunny
01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Sashimi is just raw fish served alone, as far as I know. Sushi itself is the inclusion of vinegar rice and paired with an assortment of delicious oddities, most commonly fish.

I can't wait for Miriel to see this thread.

Shlup
01-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Can't wait for Miriel to see this thread?? I am about to throw things at people.

"Sushi" refers to the rice--long grain rice coated with sushi zu (vinegar and sugar sauce), which is often paired with an assortment of delicious oddities, most commonly fish, as Bunny said.

I've had plenty of cooked sushi. I've had vegetarian sushi, and beef sushi.

Raw fish is sashimi.

Pah, you all are failures to me. Except Bunny.

Levian
01-04-2010, 07:06 PM
My friend told me that in most developed countries, people will tell you that sushi is raw fish.

I'll have to agree with your friend.

Shlup
01-04-2010, 07:07 PM
My friend told me that in most developed countries, people who don't know anything about sushi will tell you that sushi is raw fish.

I'll have to agree with your friend.

I fixed it.

Moon Rabbits
01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
When I think of sushi I think of blobs of white rice with a strip of something on top. Sushi rolls are so much betterrrrrrrrrrr.

And yes, sashimi is raw fish and it is merely okay.

Shlup
01-04-2010, 07:17 PM
When I think of sushi I think of blobs of white rice with a strip of something on top. Sushi rolls are so much betterrrrrrrrrrr.

The former is nigiri and the later is maki, both of which are forms of sushi so you do not fail and therefore may be allowed to live.

Levian
01-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Call the raw fish part Sashimi if you will, I think people will still associate it with sushi since it's often a part of it anyway. This reminds me of when people say tomatoes and cucumbers are fruit. Sure, they're fruits, but people associate them with vegetables.

Shlup
01-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Maybe people should work on being less stupid then.

Levian
01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
You can start by re-adding the old jester smilie :colbert:

Rantz
01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
ShlupQuack, I have never eaten any of the things mentioned in this thread.

:smug:

Rodarian
01-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Sashimi is raw fish and sushi are a collection of vegatables and seafood wrapped in sticky rice and seaweed...

They are like popcorn to me!!! :quina:

Momiji
01-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Delicious.

I would have taken the whole 'blah blah blah it's the rice that the word 'sushi' refers to etc etc' route, but Shlup already took care of that.

Unagi is the best stuff ever, by the way.

Mirage
01-04-2010, 08:06 PM
And this seafood is... raw?!

Tavrobel
01-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Food.

Bastian
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Disgusting. :P Never been a fan, even when I did eat meat.

Rye
01-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Wow, I had no idea about that, Shlup!

I like sushi, but I prefer other Japanese cuisines that tend to be served at sushi places - chicken katsu oh my god yesssss~~~

Breine
01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
I think of delicious food, and fresh fish (preferably).

Sushi is just a general term used to describe all kinds of different things (which has already been explained), but I guess most people who haven't tried it think of sushi as raw fish.

Mirage
01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
It's raw fish plus some other stuff.

If I was served raw fish with potatoes and it was called "blaguf", I would probably say "blaguf" was raw fish too.

Miriel
01-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Can't wait for Miriel to see this thread?? I am about to throw things at people.

Ya, Shlup is the resident sushi expert around here. :p

Anyone who doesn't try sushi cause they think it's only raw fish is missing out. I had a baked lobster roll not too long ago, omg deliiiiicious.

Jess
01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
ShlupQuack, I have never eaten any of the things mentioned in this thread.

This.

I haven't eaten any kinda fish since I was very young. I used to love seafoods but it once made me very ill when I was young and have since been too scared to eat it!

One of my new years resolutions is to try some kind of seafood again. but not prawns (how can you eat something with it's HEAD still on ahhhhhhhhhhh?!!!), or tuna. yuck yuck yuck! :yuck:

Lawr
01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Well I'm glad a lot was accomplished today.

Moon Rabbits
01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
SHLUP TAKE SUSHI SERIOUS FOR REAL DON'T BE FRONTIN'.

also:

Unagi is the best stuff ever, by the way.

BBQ EEL IS THE BEST INVENTION EVER. MMMMMM MMMMM MMMMMMM.

BBQ Eel Pancake and BBQ Eel Pizza :O :O:O:O:OO:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O ME EAT ALL DAY MMMMMMMM~

black orb
01-04-2010, 09:17 PM
What do you consider sushi to be?
>>> A kind of food that I cant afford..:luca:

Mirage
01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I've had sushi a few times. I thought it was ok, but nothing too special. I'm not really one to not eat something just cause it's raw, as long as it still tastes good.

And sushi doesn't have to be *that* expensive.

Raistlin
01-04-2010, 10:18 PM
BBQ Eel Pancake and BBQ Eel Pizza :O :O:O:O:OO:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O ME EAT ALL DAY MMMMMMMM~

I just threw up a little.

Shlup
01-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Are you kidding me? Unagi is amazing. Have you even tried it?

And sushi's not that expensive. I go to the all-you-can-eat place downtown for $23.

qwertysaur
01-04-2010, 11:21 PM
I love making my own Maki. Rolling it is fun! :D I steal about half the seaweed and eat it though. Yum :p

rubah
01-04-2010, 11:26 PM
I think of sushi as a japanese tiny-wrap. It might have raw fish, cream cheese, cucumbers, seaweed, or rice, and any combination of those are acceptable as 'sushi'. robble robble see shlup's post for scientific details

There are raw fish in our pond, but up until they get fried, I don't usually call it sushi

fire_of_avalon
01-05-2010, 12:36 AM
i consider it to be magical.

Bunny
01-05-2010, 02:08 AM

Ya, Shlup is the resident sushi expert around here. :p

Anyone who doesn't try sushi cause they think it's only raw fish is missing out. I had a baked lobster roll not too long ago, omg deliiiiicious.

But.. but.. whenever you post in a food thread there are pictures. Pictures, dammit. I demand them!

Tavrobel
01-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Pictures, dammit. I demand them!

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9651/1262306351208.png

There, a picture, are you happy now?

KentaRawr!
01-05-2010, 02:54 AM
That picture...

:jess:

Miriel
01-05-2010, 04:31 AM
But.. but.. whenever you post in a food thread there are pictures. Pictures, dammit. I demand them!
xD

Ok, here's rainbow roll from awhile ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/Picture2-9.png

Shlup
01-05-2010, 04:34 AM
I love how you can make even a clearly :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty rainbow roll look like it's been touched by magic.

Miriel
01-05-2010, 05:00 AM
That :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty rainbow roll was decent and only $5 thankyouverymuch!

Shlup
01-05-2010, 05:34 AM
Oo, $5 is cheap as hell. I admit the tuna is a nice color.

Last time I went to my favorite sushi bar their tuna was like bubble gum pink! I was flabbergasted. Flabbergasted, I say!

KentaRawr!
01-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Wasabi is spicy!

KuRt
01-10-2010, 03:19 AM
I've never actually had sushi but as far as I know it's RAW fish with rice and seaweed. Although it is kinda a finnish tradition to put rawpickled salmon/whitefish on karelian pasties (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelian_pasties) on Christmas, which is raw fish that has been salted for a few days to kill the parasites/bacteria and that is GOOD.
So if sushi is anything like that, I'm a fan.

black orb
01-10-2010, 03:43 AM
That :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty rainbow roll was decent and only $5 thankyouverymuch!
>>> With $5 I can get super cheap ramen for an entire week..:luca:
The cheapest sushi I have ever seen was $2, it looked like that one you bought, I never eat sushi because I would need like 20 servings of those to have a decent meal..

krissy
01-10-2010, 03:47 AM
i consider it to be good

Momiji
01-10-2010, 05:38 AM
>>> With $5 I can get super cheap ramen for an entire week..:luca:
The cheapest sushi I have ever seen was $2, it looked like that one you bought, I never eat sushi because I would need like 20 servings of those to have a decent meal..

It's more filling than you'd think.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Shlup beat me to the punchline~

There's this place that has a maki that has chicken in it and some other things then fried in tempura...so delicious.

Wolf Kanno
01-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Schlup and Miriel are kicking ass here. It has nothing to with it being exclusively raw fish its just a foreign misinterpretation of another cultures food.

The funny thing is that the most common form of sushi I know of are Maki-Zushi (California rolls) which use crab meat that as far as I know is pre-cooked and then cooled. The other is the Kappa Roll (Cucumber Roll) which is completely vegetarian.

Unagi is actually served hot in most places I've been too and all the better cause they are delicious. Seriously, sushi is super delicious but its a little pricey where I live, cause we're sorta landlocked over here, steak is pretty cheap though. ;)

Loony BoB
01-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Not raw fish. I've had it with cooked fish and with vegetables and with raw fish. I wasn't very keen on the latter, but the former two were lovely and I miss them (the sushi chef at our local Oriental takeaways returned to Japan).

EDIT: What I don't like is when they coat sushi with seeds. I love the texture of sushi without seeds, the seeds ruin it for me.

KentaRawr!
01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Just two more votes and I can rub this poll in my friend's face. :p

nik0tine
01-14-2010, 07:05 AM
To me sushi is generally tasty stuff with rice given to me by friendly Japanese people.

blackmage_nuke
01-14-2010, 07:12 AM

Expensive

Peegee
01-18-2010, 02:43 AM
It's not expensive. All you can eat Japanese food (includes Sashimi, Sushi, rolls, bowls of rice with meat, dessert, etc etc) for 24.99!

Anyway the answer to the silly question has been done. I side with those who are ready to throw california rolls at people :mad2::mad2::mad2::cool:

Goldenboko
01-18-2010, 03:25 AM
Raw Fish.

And rice.

blackmage_nuke
01-19-2010, 12:49 AM
It's not expensive. All you can eat Japanese food (includes Sashimi, Sushi, rolls, bowls of rice with meat, dessert, etc etc) for 24.99!

Not in my area there arent, or maybe im not looking hard enough

Shlup
01-19-2010, 12:54 AM
I have attempted to alter the poll in a fashion that helps people be less dumb, while still allowing them to be dumb if they really want to.

I could really go for some sushi right now. :/

I Don't Need A Name
01-19-2010, 01:08 AM
I've never heard of Shashimi. Sushi = Raw Fish to most people guys. That may be wrong, but it's what most people associate it with.

rubah
01-19-2010, 01:13 AM
but not all of us! hence the poll http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/cool.gif

I Don't Need A Name
01-19-2010, 01:20 AM
But bear in mind that the people who have taken the poll are members of this forum. Therefore, like Japanese games (most likely). Hence they are more likely to know about Japanese food. I, personally, do not know 1 person who, to my knowledge, has even tried sushi. I'm pretty sure they would say its raw fish

rubah
01-19-2010, 01:52 AM
I think there are many other populations besides just otaku that would know this

1) the japanese
2) people living in coastal states
3) people living in college towns

I didn't learn about sushi from videogames :p I learned about it because a bunch of people in my freshman classes made a big deal about it(#3), I tried it, then looked it up afterwards :p

Peegee
01-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Are you saying learning about other cultures is possible in America?

Shlup
01-19-2010, 02:00 AM
I have been eating sushi far longer than I have been reading manga or playing video games.

Just because a lot of people are wrong doesn't mean it's just okay to be wrong. If they say it's raw fish, they should simply be corrected. And then they would know.

Marshall Banana
01-19-2010, 02:20 AM
<center>http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/disney/fishfood.jpg</center>

NeoCracker
01-19-2010, 02:29 AM
What do you consider sushi to be?
>>> A kind of food that I cant afford..:luca:

So you're a 'starving' artist?