PDA

View Full Version : These bands you loved

Inferno
01-04-2010, 09:00 PM
As a teenager, I wasn't really open-minded upon the world of music. I listened to some weird stuff ... such as Cradle of filth, Cryptopsy, and some others I can't even remember.
I never thought that later in my life, I could listen to some bands like Coldplay, Damien Rice, Jack Johnson, MGMT, Pink Floyd, etc...

Did this happen to you ? Is there some music you've listened to that you know you will never listen again. Or have you always listened to the same kind of music ?

Moon Rabbits
01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I was so metal when I was like, 14 and under. I was listening to Marilyn Manson and KoRn when I was in grade 3 cuz I was that cool.

Now I don't really listen to Cradle of Filth or Cannibal Corpse or any of those other bands I used to. Except Manson~~ Though I've always sort of been a bit fruity with my music. The first albums I ever bought were Issues by KoRn and ...Baby One More Time by Britney~~

Nowadays I listen to everything, though - from folk to rap to noise to metal to adult contemporary to no wave to new wave.

Rantz
01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
I had a nothing but hiphop period, a nothing but metal period, a nothing but pop period and a nothing but 60's rock period. Now I listen to all of those and many more genres. I don't even know how I had time for all of that.

Tavrobel
01-04-2010, 09:24 PM
I had a rap period from about 2000 to 2005, after which I didn't listen to anything at all for about a year. Then hit the video game/anime music. Sometime in 2008, I switched over into indie rock and emo, no doubt inspired by one of my friends who made me download music for him, and then mail it to his campus on DVDs. I can't remember when, but I think that I've listened to emo, back in the earlier part of the decade, based on the mix CDs that I have in my possession.

themagicroundabout
01-04-2010, 10:11 PM
I used to listen to the sort of KoRn.. Cradle of Filth,etc. music. I can't stand it now. It was an early teenage sorta thing - the style really grates on me now.

I'm now more into... well, a lot of things (except the metalish stuff,of course) - jamaican music massively: calypso, old 60's ska, reggae, rocksteady, nyabinghi reggae, dancehall, dub,etc.. & jazz - from some big band stuff, to gyspsy jazz, to bebop & etc. - classical (though just einaudi i listen to regularly), blues - delta blues and all the old blues, old 50's-ish rhythm and blues - northern soul, punk ala dead kennedys style, hip hop & rap (especially the jazzy flavours of the old hip hop, or some of the jazzmatazz stuff, or us3 etc..), folk, "indie", trip hop, old 60's-70's deep groovin' funk, acid jazz, d'n'b, sambass, jungle, dubstep, breakbeaaats... uh. :rolleyes:

Moon Rabbits
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
trip hop, d'n'b, jungle, dubstep, breakbeaaats...

MMM'HMM SISTA~

Rad Bromance
01-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Middle School Me: "OH MAN TUPAC, BIGGYSMALLS, PUFF DADDY, BLACKSTREET, SNOOP DOGG, BEST MUSIC FO SHO, ROCK IS AWFULLLLL"

High School Freshman/Sophmore Me: "OH MAN BLINK 182, THE OFFSPRING, KORN, THIRD EYE BLIND, NO DOUBT, SMASHING PUMPKINS, SUBLIME, BEST MUSIC EVER! RAP IS AWFULLLL!"

High School Junior/Senior Me: " OH MAN THE RAMONES, SEX PISTOLS, REEL BIG FISH, THE AQUABATS, SAVE FERRIS, NOFX, BEST MUSIC EVER! ALL THAT BLINK 182 AND SUM 41 IS AWFUL POSER JUNK!!!!"

College Me: "I used to care about genres?"

Now I enjoy listening to nearly everything.

Momiji
01-05-2010, 12:56 AM
I look at my CD collection from my high school years

and I wish I hadn't looked

I used to listen to that :bou::bou::bou::bou:

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

BardTard
01-05-2010, 03:26 AM
I go through phases, and I don't think there's any band that I like right now that I'll never listen to again. Right now it's Pink, Younha, Nana Kitade, Olivia Lufkin.

Inferno
01-05-2010, 03:43 AM
I never had a hiphop period... and never will. My mind's openness stops here

Kirobaito
01-05-2010, 04:13 AM
I grew up listening to country music, with adventures into other kinds of pop and rock music. I wouldn't listen to it now. I started a progression (descent?) into folk music in 2004 and that's where I am today.

NorthernChaosGod
01-05-2010, 04:53 AM
I was always more into rock/metal than anything, but there was a span of a couple years I hated rap/hip hop. I'd say it more had to do with no exposure to anything actually good, I still refuse to listen to all the garbage that was played on the radio.

I was so metal when I was like, 14 and under. I was listening to Marilyn Manson and KoRn when I was in grade 3 cuz I was that cool.

lol wat

Raistlin
01-05-2010, 04:55 AM
I had a pop/alternative phase in middle school which centered around Blink 182 and RHCP. I loathed metal and rap.

Now I listen to predominately rock and metal music, though enjoy a bunch of stuff outside of those genres. I still loathe rap.

Shoeberto
01-05-2010, 05:58 AM
I went through a big phase where I listened to nothing but "punk" rock like Blink 182 and Greenday. Then I tried listening to Pink Floyd, which broadened my horizons and segued me into Radiohead. I feel like eventually Radiohead got me interested in electronic sounds, which had me get into some instrumental hip hop like DJ Shadow and Amon Tobin, which then made me start listening to all kinds of hip hop/rap.

So, now I have pretty eclectic tastes I feel, but I used to be very limited to specific genres and bands.

The Man
01-05-2010, 11:17 AM
There wasn't all that much I listened to in high school that I don't still listen to. I haven't listened to Collective Soul, Creed, or Sevendust in several years but apart from that most of the stuff I can think of that I listened to then I still listen to, unless it's so unmemorable that I've forgotten it. There was a period (which lasted until early high school) when I wouldn't have listened to metal, rap, and country. Country is the only of those genres I never listen to now, though I probably wouldn't be opposed to adding some of the classics to my library; modern country is rubbish though. (That said I don't listen to much rap either, but there are a few artists I like).

About 80% of what I listen to either metal or prog but my taste is still pretty diverse.

Breine
01-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Hmm, I don't know. I'm definitely a whole lot more alternative and indie now than I was back then. Undoubtedly. I listen to a lot of music I would never ever touch back when I was 13-16. I've always had an open mind when it comes to music, but I was definitely more "pop" back then.
I remember listening to a lot of Alicia Keys, Dido, Justin Timberlake and Alanis Morissette.

It's only natural to go through a change in your music taste, just like you change as a person as you get older. Personally, my taste grew along with my passion and interest for music. These days I listen to all sorts of things.

VexNet
01-05-2010, 05:44 PM
It might sound a bit odd, but I'm still into the music I listened to when I was very young.

It doesn't matter how long it's been or how cheesy the song is, if I like it, then I like it for life. I've found music from my childhood (I'm talking about like around ten years old) with tapes like "smurfs go pop" it's horrible and cheesy but enjoyable to listen to. Then again at the same time my parents would blast out Beatles, Rolling Stones and lots of other 60's through to 70's and 80's music mainly. Delving into a lot of Reggae.

Then in my Teens I delved in and around the cheese factor a lot. Europop was a guilty pleasure with bands like Toybox and Aqua. I also had a big thing for Third Wave Ska in my teens too I notice by my 2005 playlist from Last.FM which mainly consisted of Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Goldfinger which kind of molded itself into punk rock/pop/ska like Stroke 9 and MxPx.

I got myself into the HipHop genre after being a huge Eminem fan, and subsequently it got me into Rap, RnB and Beatboxing.

Around the same time I was listening to a lot of the pop metal rock of the time, like Nickleback, RatM, Linkin Park, SR-71, Saliva.. etc.

My favorite band of my teen years without a doubt however, was Barenaked Ladies. I absolutely loved Alternative Rock. That led me to find some oldies like Bob Dylan and Joe Satriani.

I found a lot of bands I still love to this day from Video Games during my teens too. NBA games introduced a lot of HipHop into my life, NHL games introduced more Pop Rock, and Guilty Gear for some ace Hard Rock tunes! I really like all the Sonic the Hedgehog music that has been released too, very upbeat fun fast songs to get running to! Of course not forgetting the beautiful orchestral songs of Final Fantasy (specifically the soundtrack to FFVIII being exceptionally good) and Despite all this, it was a game like Jet Set Radio with it's BreakBeats and Trip-Hop hop sounds from Guitar Vader, Hideki Naganuma and Richard Jacques that made me fall in love with that type of music, it really gets a good groove going.

in my late teens as I entered an Animé club I listened to a lot more Japanese music, Rock and Pop, A lot faster than English music. Orange Range, I discovered a Japanese band called ELLEGARDEN and this is still my favorite Japanese band to date.

The latest new wave of music I've discovered would be even more DubStep, Trip-Hop, Drum n Bass music. I've found a lot of good 70's music lately; Hawkwind, Barclay James Harvest, Gong. Also I've started to get into the latest version of pop music with that X-Factor and Lady Gaga. Also found a lot of brilliant music from German Snowboarding Team Isenseven from their Music DVDs. Still finding new music every week almost, it's fantastic!

Nowadays I just put on whatever I feel like listening to, since I tend to try to listen to stuff to match my mood or affect it in some way, or if the song has insightful lyrics, maybe it just had some kick butt tunes. It's all relative nowadays.

It's embarrassing for me to admit this too, but I am still quite suprised when I hear songs that the Beatles have done but I don't recognise them. With my type of history and who I know, I should know all their songs, right? But nope, I really am, suprised to find out that some songs I obviously know what song it is and it's imprinted into my head, but I just never knew it was the Beatles that did it.. There are a few other bands which give me the same suprise with their ever changing musical ideals but I've forgotten their names at this moment in time.

I'm well aware I've left loads of other genres and stuff out, but as of yet, I'm still to come across a Music Genre I don't like. How I see it, is that ever Genre has it's good and it's bad stuff. If you don't like what you hear on the radio then chances are it's because it's made for the mass market and sounds bad because of that. Look more deeper into the genre and you'll find some real gems.

For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over -?
so uhm.. I guess I still like all the music I liked when I was a kid.. hmmm

Bunny
01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
For the most part, I've stuck with two genre themes within my music over the years. 'Metal' and 'Alternative rock', even though I really dislike applying genres to music, have been my main listening preferences.

I started out with bands like Tool and A Perfect Circle in the metal genre and then moved onto things I feel are a tad deeper within the genre with more intricacies and whatnot. Pain of Salvation, Opeth, Agalloch, Ayreon, etc. I still listen to Tool every once and awhile but not as heavily as I did back in the day.

For Alternative rock, my main choice is Radiohead and I've been a fan of them since about 2002 or 2003. I don't listen to them as much nowadays but every once and awhile I throw back and get all emo listening to their music. I think it gets a little tricky moving around within the alt rock genre so I won't list any other bands.

There was a time when I went through an electronica phase with Aphex Twin, The Chemical Brothers and Autechre. I very rarely listen to those bands today though.

Cuchulainn
01-05-2010, 06:36 PM

MMM'HMM SISTA~

dubstep...oh how that wobble hypnotises me so.

SuperMillionaire
01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
In my high school, almost everyone else listened to nothing but rap, even at prom; I was like, "ENOUGH WITH THE HIP-HOP ALREADY!!!!!" Later on, I began listening to some metal, because one friend at school often listened to metal, the difference being that he listened to EXTREME metal, but I only listened to regular metal.

These days, my musical tastes have reverted back to my elementary school days, plus I've also gained some new musical tastes. I tend to listen to mostly pop, rock, dance, country, reggae, and jazz, along with some regular metal and very little hip hop. I like many old music created before my time, ranging from the 1950s to now, and also enjoy both upbeat songs and ballads.

To me, I classify music by method of expressions into four divisions:
Cheesy- silly, casual
Edgy - gritty, aggressive
Formal - demure, refined
Abstract - artsy, progressive

I like music from all four classifications.

The only thing I don't like in music is explicit language. (Please don't ridicule me for that.)

Toodles.

Moon Rabbits
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM

lol wat

Internet + sarcasm = break.

I did listen to real metal when I was starting highschool/in middle school though. Cradle of Filth, Theatre des Vampyre or whatever they were called, Cannibal Corpse, Blind Guardian, etc. etc.

MMM'HMM SISTA~

dubstep...oh how that wobble hypnotises me so.

WOBBLE BAAAAAASSSSSSSSS <33333

The Space Pope
01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Some bands I've grown out of, but stuff like Alice In Chains, Nirvana, GG, Pantera, etc etc etc I've liked since the early 90's.

Cuchulainn
01-05-2010, 08:23 PM

YouTube - Cookie Monsta - Ginger Pubes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StBsXteaSnc)

Probably my favorite.

SuperMillionaire
01-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Have you ever liked any music from before, then lost interest, then regained interest again?

Moon Rabbits
01-05-2010, 08:56 PM

YouTube - Cookie Monsta - Ginger Pubes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StBsXteaSnc)

Probably my favorite.

YouTube - BORGORE - MAMA'S BOY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyLSw187CQE)

No way man. Borgore ftw.

Cuchulainn
01-05-2010, 09:20 PM

Probably my favorite.

No way man. Borgore ftw.

He ok but very predictable. YouTube - Stenchman - Only Human (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfNbzKaLmLg)

NorthernChaosGod
01-05-2010, 11:59 PM

lol wat

Internet + sarcasm = break.

I did listen to real metal when I was starting highschool/in middle school though. Cradle of Filth, Theatre des Vampyre or whatever they were called, Cannibal Corpse, Blind Guardian, etc. etc.

Inference fail. Haha, good to know though.

Moon Rabbits
01-06-2010, 02:46 AM

Probably my favorite.

No way man. Borgore ftw.

He ok but very predictable. YouTube - Stenchman - Only Human (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfNbzKaLmLg)

I love that song. ALSO CLASSIX. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEmM6vVFrao)

Cuchulainn
01-06-2010, 03:45 AM
actually...i think my favorite might be Emalkay 'When i look at you'. We seem to have the same taste in music. Pity u live in the frozen wastes of Canada we could partay.

Skream almost invented Dubstep. He's a cokehead tho.

-N-
01-06-2010, 03:57 AM
mainstream --------> esoteria

Gullick
01-06-2010, 06:49 PM
To me no genre is 'better' than another since there is no real way of scaling music. If the argument is 'But no one likes that music' clearly someone does otherwise they'd stop making it and the music that majority of people like is mainstream, which is considered bad by the same people. To me, if one person likes it, then its good for them and not for me to judge.

I used to be into dance and rap, then I discovered Linkin Park and that led to a HUGE emo phase. Now, I listen to anything, but usually things with a happy feel, such as Angels and Airwaves or soundtracks.

Only thing I don't perticularly like is bands that are in it just to attract the opposite sex, like Cute is What we Aim for or All Time Low.

SuperMillionaire
01-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Edgy, edgy, edgy!

Inferno
01-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Only thing I don't perticularly like is bands that are in it just to attract the opposite sex, like Cute is What we Aim for or All Time Low.
Too much bands are mercenaries and don't bother producing sh*tty music, in my opinion. And that phenomenon sucks.

Aurey
01-06-2010, 08:52 PM
All I listened to as a kid in the 90s were mainstream pop acts. When I was a tween I rejected the mainstream almost completely and started listening to a lot of the Clash and Bob Mould, then became enticed by heavier stuff like Tool. When I was thirteen I dove into the new underground independent scene that was developing, listening to stuff like Interpol, Broken Social Scene, Arcade Fire... indie rock whatever, stuff like that. Afterward I started to gradually broaden what I listened to, going into rap, hip hop, idm, electronic, to noise, and so on (thanks to music guru Necronopticous for most of the introductions btw).

Present day I would say I'm less snobbish and/or judgmental and far more open towards music. I can't say I really look into genres all that much anymore, nor that I haven't shaken my ass to pop radio recently.

Shiny
01-06-2010, 09:40 PM
I'll still listen to every single band I listened to when I was younger. Spice Girls, Nsync...I don't give a fuck. :cool:

SuperMillionaire
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Good for you, Shiny; I like a lot of that kind of music too.

Jessweeee♪
01-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Really it was just my limited access to music that kept my tastes so narrow. In middle school I just had the radio (when my parents listened to it in the car) and my parent's music, so it was mostly metal, with a few other forms of rock.

Then in high school I had internet access and portable music devices and yay~

Bastian
01-09-2010, 09:59 PM
The only bands that I used to listen to that I don't really like anymore are Blink-182 and Vertical Horizon (anyone remember them) and Third Eye Blind and Sum 41 and Simple Plan and . . . damn, I listened to a lot of awful stuff back then.

However, I did pop in an Eve 6 CD a couple months ago for the hell of it and was surprised it didn't annoy me.

I still love Smashing Pumpkins as much as I did when I was a kid and I still love a lot of the weirder stuff I listened to as a kid (Enya, Clannad, Secret Garden, and other world/new age stuff).

@Gullick: What do you mean? All Time Low are my secret guilty pleasure (shh! don't tell anyone!) and it has nothing to do with how smurfable the bassist is, not at all. No. . . err . . . hm.

SuperMillionaire
01-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Some of that new age stuff is actually pretty good, Bastian.