PDA

View Full Version : Someone from nearby screams "Help!"

LunarWeaver
01-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Would you go see what's up and help them or ignore it and go about your day?

Vermachtnis
01-05-2010, 04:06 AM
I'd run up and yell "I'm here to help!" in the hammiest voice ever. Then ask for "Five dollars."

leader of mortals
01-05-2010, 04:09 AM
I would first check out what's going on, and if it seems to dangerous for me and the person screaming is in danger, I would try to get someone.

~*~Celes~*~
01-05-2010, 04:17 AM
I would first check out what's going on, and if it seems to dangerous for me and the person screaming is in danger, I would try to get someone.

Shlup
01-05-2010, 04:35 AM

LunarWeaver
01-05-2010, 04:37 AM
If someone is being mugged, I'm sure you'd be too late if you walked to the nearest coffee shop and gathered a team.

Rye
01-05-2010, 04:37 AM
If it was the "help, I've fallen and slipped on ice/on the wet floor at the food court!" kind of help yell, I'd be all over that.

Otherwise, I would run/drive faaaar away most likely, and then call the cops. I'm a scaredy-cat.

Bunny
01-05-2010, 04:40 AM
Bystander effect. I wouldn't do anything because I assume someone else would do it in my place.

Raistlin
01-05-2010, 04:40 AM
I would try to help. If it was something particularly dangerous, like an assault or armed robbery, I'd go call the cops, but otherwise I have no problem with directly helping strangers.

LunarWeaver
01-05-2010, 04:55 AM
I'd probly turn up my Zune and pretend I can't hear any back alley rape. Lady GaGa will block out all my worries.

NorthernChaosGod
01-05-2010, 05:04 AM

Faris
01-05-2010, 05:31 AM
I hate to say this, but no. :p Unless I knew them or in specific scenarios then maybe. I learned in class that if you don't succeed at saving them or what not you could be liable and I would rather not be.

Shlup
01-05-2010, 05:33 AM
I would try to help. If it was something particularly dangerous, like an assault or armed robbery, I'd go call the cops, but otherwise I have no problem with directly helping strangers.

That's why Americans carry guns.

qwertysaur
01-05-2010, 09:05 AM
I would make things worse but try to help. :p

CimminyCricket
01-05-2010, 09:53 AM
If someone is being mugged, I'm sure you'd be too late if you walked to the nearest coffee shop and gathered a team.

Not all of us travel alone. I personally travel in a small group of people who wear colourful spandex under their clothes.

That being said, should a cry for help be heard, we would respond quickly and somewhat effectively.

If I were by myself I'd still probably try and see what was going on and thanks to my poor impulse control I would still attempt to help someone being held at gun/knife point without properly thinking through the situation.

leader of mortals
01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I hate to say this, but no. :p Unless I knew them or in specific scenarios then maybe. I learned in class that if you don't succeed at saving them or what not you could be liable and I would rather not be.

Actually, no. Because of the good samaritan law, you can help people in danger without any backlash(In fact, in some places, I think it is required by law to help people in danger, as long as your method of helping will not endanger you)

It used to be like how you said, and if, for example, there was a car crash, people would just keep driving, or some people would save them from the car and drive away without giving their name.

Jiro
01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I'd play hero. Regardless of the situation. Because I'm an idiot like that :monster:

Rodarian
01-05-2010, 03:13 PM

What Raisty said... Helping someone like books all over the floor is one thing...But if someone is particular dire situation, also call for professional help...But do keep try whatever you can do to keep the person safe...

Breine
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM

Yes.

Badge
01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Depending on how serious it was I would help. If someone had fallen or collapsed or something like that I would.

However in Britain in this day and age many people are killed for helping others (in fights), sure it's a heroic thing to do and it may sound really 'dickish' but you need to think of your own safety. Sure I'd call the police if I could see someone was being attacked etc but I think in some situations you'd help more by not getting (physically) involved as situations can get complicated and you yourself could be in danger of getting prosecuted by the attackers, yeah it sounds stupid but it happens.

Psychotic
01-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Get the reward for saving them then kill them anyway. That's what I do in Western RPGs, and I fail to see why I should not apply such logic to the real world.

Rantz
01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd call on Psychotic to save 'em. While he's busy killing them I'll sneak up and steal the reward he got.

Mirage
01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
I would check what was up, and if the situation looked like something I could fix without getting killed, I would probably try helping out.

rubah
01-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Unless it's my mother who has jammed her cuticle in the cabinet door. In that case, I get up grudgingly because everyone else has.

j/k j/k j/k j/k j/k j/k

Tavrobel
01-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I would figure out how seriously they yelled out "help!"

Case A) I'd make fun of them
Case B) I'd help them, then make fun of them

Shiny
01-05-2010, 09:32 PM
I know the rule. You're supposed to scream fire in situations when you really need help even if there's no fire. That way people will actually come to help. Help notoriously doesn't work in many situations for some reason. Tbh, I really don't know what I would do in those situations.

Bowser
01-07-2010, 12:31 AM
I'll go over and see what was wrong. However, if it has to do with a spider, I'll probably run away crying.

VexNet
01-07-2010, 12:39 AM
that would be a yes. i've had to deal with bad people before, protecting the family.

themagicroundabout
01-07-2010, 01:42 AM
TEENAGERS returning from a night out were hailed heroes after they pulled a drowning man from the River Welland.

Eighteen-year-olds Samantha Jones, Siobhann McDonald, Daniel Lambe-Hyner and Curtis Goodes spotted a man in the near-freezing water under the water taxi jetty in Double Street at around 3.30am on Saturday...

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs272.snc1/9932_184385445428_644505428_4381685_7576364_n.jpg

:shobon:

Vyk
01-07-2010, 04:52 AM
I can't help but find it surreal and a little contradictory that people would be less likely or less quickly to get involved if someone's life is in more serious or immediate danger. I'd scope out the situation, like everyone else, and make a judgement call. But if I saw a robbery an alleyway beatdown... It'd be hard to convince myself not to get involved. And if I saw someone getting raped, the attacker might die. Then maybe I'd call the cops. I know you're supposed to just take note of everything you can so the cops can find the people later. But if you come up behind a robber and break their knee, the cops won't have to look too hard *Shrug*

I'm not as hard as I sound. I just can't fathom not wanting to help someone whose life is possibly in danger

Jojee
01-07-2010, 05:24 AM
I'd punch 'em in the face x3

Raistlin
01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Why, to make them laugh at your weakness?

KentaRawr!
01-10-2010, 01:14 AM
Why would you punch someone in the face if they're asking for help? You're so mean.

Cuchulainn
01-10-2010, 01:27 AM
always, and have done a few times. Most it was ppl acting like dicks but u can never be sure. One time a girl was gettin hit by her ex. Me n a mate beat :bou::bou::bou::bou: outa him. never presume :bou::bou::bou::bou:.