PDA

View Full Version : Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

Rantz
01-05-2010, 08:01 PM
As you've probably noticed, the forums changed the way threads and forum are marked as read not too long ago. Previously, we used a cookie-based system that marked everything as read if you were inactive for a specific amount of time. We switched to a system that stores data about what you've read and not read in the database, which tends to give more accurate results, but it also means nothing is marked as read automatically. This is a good thing for some, and a bad thing for some.

So you've had a while to try out the new method. Which method do you prefer?

The Space Pope
01-05-2010, 08:03 PM
All of them

CimminyCricket
01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
The database system. I tend to fall asleep on the internet and the cookie method was frustrating.

Psychotic
01-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I prefer the old one. I have to click "Mark forums read" all the damn time.

Raistlin
01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
I kind of prefer the old system, but I can easily see the benefits of the new system. It requires more clicking ("mark forum read"), but it ensures that a thread won't be missed simply by walking away from the computer for a while.

Vermachtnis
01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I like the database way. I have a bad habit of going to Youtube or TvTropes and getting distracted for awhile and when I come back my CP is empty when I haven't looked at anything.

Breine
01-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I think I'm gonna be an old fart of a veteran and say that I like the old method the best.

Jess
01-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I... didn't realise it'd changed. I don't think I really pay attention to it. :jess:

scrumpleberry
01-05-2010, 10:08 PM
The old one. The new is freakish.

Chloe.
01-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I... didn't realise it'd changed. I don't think I really pay attention to it. :jess:

Exactly what I was thinking. :p

Rye
01-05-2010, 11:10 PM
I feel like an idiot but I kind of don't get what has changed. It all seems the same to me. =O

Mirage
01-06-2010, 12:01 AM
I like the old one. If I fall asleep or something I just press the "today's posts" thing.

Raistlin
01-06-2010, 12:23 AM
I feel like an idiot but I kind of don't get what has changed. It all seems the same to me. =O

Threads that have new posts have different icons than other threads. In the old version, those threads would be automatically marked as read due to inactivity. For example, if you logged in for the first time and see there's a bunch of new posts but then you wandered off for thirty minutes and refreshed the page, it would look like there were no new posts (except for any that were made in that 30 minute span).

In this new version, threads are never marked as read unless 1) you actually read them, or 2) you click "mark forum(s) as read." You could log in for the first time one day, leave for hours/days/whatever, come back and all of the threads would still show up as having new posts.

theundeadhero
01-06-2010, 02:19 AM
I like the old way.

Fuzakeru
01-06-2010, 05:18 AM
I'm pretty chill with either way, tbqh.

There's all sorts of cool stuff that I missed, overlooked about EoFF. All the cool communities and then when you click someone's name you go to an info page about them and stuff! Wtheck? That's so cool!

;o; EoFF, you're such a pretty temptress.

Loony BoB
01-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Threads that have new posts have different icons than other threads. In the old version, those threads would be automatically marked as read due to inactivity. For example, if you logged in for the first time and see there's a bunch of new posts but then you wandered off for thirty minutes and refreshed the page, it would look like there were no new posts (except for any that were made in that 30 minute span).

In this new version, threads are never marked as read unless 1) you actually read them, or 2) you click "mark forum(s) as read." You could log in for the first time one day, leave for hours/days/whatever, come back and all of the threads would still show up as having new posts.
I think if you don't read a thread for something like a week then it is automatically logged as read, too.

While I can live with either way, I think that there are more obvious benefits to the new way.

Mirage
01-06-2010, 02:11 PM
There are some benefits to the new way, but these benefits can also be gotten by pressing "today's threads" :p.

Flying Mullet
01-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I like the new method better, but then I browse the forums by searching for all new posts, opening the threads I want to view in new tabs, then marking all posts as read, so the new method is perfect.

Momiji
01-06-2010, 03:40 PM
The old way is so much better.

Vyk
01-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Whatever method people's browsers were handling cookies must have been po'janky. The only difference I see is what BoB described. Threads unread for a week are then marked off. I think you guys have some OCD issues where a thread marked as unread bothers you because you aren't interested in the topic, and for some reason can't stand seeing a thread with bold lettering

I like the new method. I use multiple computers and this ensures that the threads I've read are marked as read, and vice-versa. And I have no problem with half the forum being unread. I just check the topics that interest me. I don't see why everyone HAS to click "mark forum as read"

Explain plz??

I Took the Red Pill
01-07-2010, 04:17 AM
it's not a matter of life and death but I find myself preferring the old method

Namelessfengir
01-07-2010, 06:10 AM
i like it in principle but it needs a cut off like 12 hours or a day