PDA

View Full Version : Delayed

Rye
01-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Has your flight ever been delayed due to weather or unforeseen circumstance?

Crossing my fingers, but my flight back to England might get delayed because of England's snow. Oh noooo. :(

WildRaubtier
01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Only by like half an hour or something. Nothing to worry about on 5 hour flights.

Last time I went on a plane, I had the opposite problem. They kept moving the flight time forward.

Raistlin
01-07-2010, 03:44 PM
My last flight from Bermuda was delayed an hour. I've probably been delayed an hour or two out of Philly as well, since that's a terrible airport.

Flying Mullet
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I've had plenty of flights delayed and a few canceled.

Psychotic
01-07-2010, 04:10 PM
One of my flights got delayed and so I missed my connecting flight and got stranded in Newark, New Jersey for 48 hours.

I know I mention this incident with every plane travel related thread that comes up, but it's the kind of wound that simply does not heal.

Jess
01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Most of my flights have been near-perfect for timing. I've only had one delay, which was my flight back from Bulgaria to England. It was delayed by around 2 hours in the early hours of the morning.

A flight being delayed from an airport like Heathrow or Gatwick for 2 hours isn't a big deal, but this was in the Bulgarian airport and it wasn't fantastic and we'd been up for over 24 hours!

Rantz
01-07-2010, 04:17 PM
The plane home from Barcelona was delayed by 6 hours. 6 friggin' hours. That's not the kind of time you hope to stay in an airport.

Marshall Banana
01-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Every single time!

I'm never connecting in an airport in the Midwest again. The weather there sucks or something.

Bunny
01-07-2010, 06:36 PM
The only problem I have ever had with a plane was when I flew American Airlines. The flight kept getting pushed back by 20 minutes until they finally decided to cancel it completely. Luckily, they immediately booked me on another flight leaving at a decent time so I actually got to my destination.

Jojee
01-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I get delayed 53% of the time when I go to O'hare xD It's a terrible airport. Longest delay time was 8 hours.

Marshall Banana
01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I get delayed 53% of the time when I go to O'hare xD It's a terrible airport. Longest delay time was 8 hours.
Jeremy and I were lost in it! It's huge!

Rye
01-07-2010, 07:17 PM
I got lost in Heathrow because the airport is the biggest ever and the terminal I arrived was like a giant dungeon and it made me cry!

Bunny
01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
O'Hare is by far the worst airport I have ever had the displeasure of being in. Denver and San Diego are probably two of the best, simply for ease of movement.

Raistlin
01-07-2010, 07:51 PM
O'Hare is by far the worst airport I have ever had the displeasure of being in. Denver and San Diego are probably two of the best, simply for ease of movement.

My dad travels a lot for work and when I was flying out to see Jojo he told me "don't go through O'Hare," so I flew to Midway instead.

I agree about Denver being pretty good. Also Baltimore, while a terrible city, actually has a decent airport, too. Maybe it just seems good considering it's my chief alternative to Philadelphia (which as I said previously is awful), but I haven't had any problems with it.

Madame Adequate
01-07-2010, 08:49 PM

O'Hare is one of the worst places in the world. Not because of the airport itself, though it's not exactly the best laid-out. Oh no. It's because of the complete ballgargling FAD doucheguzzlers who man the immigration desk. Customs people? Perfectly friendly and polite, apologetic if they have to go through your stuff. But immigration? God have mercy on them because I will not. Rarely have I been treated with such disrespect and hostility. Their friendly interrogation meant I missed my connecting flight (Though the actual airline itself was extremely friendly and helpful, getting me on the next flight possible, letting me use their phone to call people, etc).

I'm not sure about whether we'll be flying tomorrow, the news suggests some fairly major disruptions, so who knows?

Never have I had any serious delays due to airport or airline though, just ones of 10 or 15 minutes, and even that's uncommon.

rubah
01-07-2010, 08:56 PM
A few times; the worst was when my flight was completely cancelled and we had to reroute it to another airport entirely (it was the last flight of the night there, too)

Shoeberto
01-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I think I got delayed about two hours the first time I ever flew due to storms, so instead of getting in at 10 like expected it was closer to 1AM. That kinda sucked.

I'm hoping this winter weather doesn't affect my flight to school on Saturday, because I got :bou::bou::bou::bou: to do.

drotato
01-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I was in Florida once, and there were really bad storms hitting because of a hurricane that had been really close to us.

My flight back to Tennessee was delayed for TEN HOURS.
It's okay, though, I spent half of that time sleeping. /:

~*~Celes~*~
01-07-2010, 09:08 PM
My flight to O'Hare from Hopkins (in Cleveland) was going to be delayed because of thunderstorms that were going on in Cleveland so I was put on an earlier flight, only to be delayed anyway, so I didn't even leave until my previously scheduled flight was due to leave anyway. Then I made it to O'Hare and had to book it literally from one side of the airport to the other to make my flight on time, I was nearly bawling when I finally made it to my flight because I was so afraid i would miss it. Turns out they were making the final final call and so I was completely relieved when I finally sat down in my seat.

Then on the way back home, my flight to Chicago was delayed by 4 freaking hours. I was SO tired I kept falling asleep, only to snap awake because a) I hadn't even realized I'd fallen asleep and so when my head moved to the side it startled me, b) I was completely afraid of missing my flight. Add on to that a bad case of strep throat and the emotional exhaustion that comes with a brutal immigrations interrogation (Hux seems to know what I mean :(), and you've got one weepy Kari when she finally gets on the phone with her parents.

I hope I never have to go through something that terrible again. :(

Bunny
01-07-2010, 09:28 PM
I agree about Denver being pretty good. Also Baltimore, while a terrible city, actually has a decent airport, too. Maybe it just seems good considering it's my chief alternative to Philadelphia (which as I said previously is awful), but I haven't had any problems with it.

When I was stationed in Maryland, I used Baltimore's airport exclusively (even though it was hell to get from where I was) and never had a problem with it. The people extraordinarily nice compared to others I had met in the area and I never had a problem with flights leaving late or being cancelled (the aforementioned problem happened in... New York or something). It's a glorious airport at night as well.

I enjoy Denver's because of the layout. It is neat, clean and easy to get in and out of. Most of the airports I've been to have been hell to drive around, but Denver's is pretty simple. No thousand turns to get out of the damned thing. The people are pretty nice too. If only the Blue Horse didn't exist. Damn that horse.

O'Hare is one of the worst places in the world. Not because of the airport itself, though it's not exactly the best laid-out. Oh no. It's because of the complete ballgargling FAD doucheguzzlers who man the immigration desk. Customs people? Perfectly friendly and polite, apologetic if they have to go through your stuff. But immigration? God have mercy on them because I will not. Rarely have I been treated with such disrespect and hostility. Their friendly interrogation meant I missed my connecting flight (Though the actual airline itself was extremely friendly and helpful, getting me on the next flight possible, letting me use their phone to call people, etc).

I kind of understand that due to the sheer amount of people they have to deal with every day (most of which are probably terrible cockbags). I am not necessarily excusing the behavior, but sometimes :bou::bou::bou::bou: just goes wrong. I know for a fact that I wouldn't want to work Immigration at an airport; smurf that noise.

Jiro
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
My return flight from Sydney to Brisbane was delayed because of storms, so I got on a goddamn bus and drove for 16 or whatever hours with the most painful woman loudly complaining and chatting up this guy between phonecalls to her boyfriend. I would've braved the storm if I'd known that :bou::bou::bou::bou: was gonna happen.

All of my flights have been late landing by like 30 minutes, but never delayed. Although I had to wait in the airport for an hour extra for my coach to get off his flight. Doesn't help we were at the wrong terminal :/

Levian
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM
only got a 30 minute delay back in August when I went to Edinburgh, which was my first delay ever. Guess I've lucked out on my flights!

Rye
01-08-2010, 02:01 PM
My flight is really late tonight, and Heathrow was closed yesterday. If they're even open today, they'll be so concerned trying to catch people up yesterday that we'll be delayed anyway. IF they're open.

And the trains from and to Reading seem to be indefinitely down?

Ughhhhhhhhh.

I just want to know, so I can know whether I can lay around and relax or not. I'm sick and I don't want to travel, especially if I may be stranded at Heathrow.

I feel bad for the people who are coming from Spring semester and the horror they face in England for the first time. When I arrived for the first time, it was like, 2 weeks of never-ending sunshine. It felt more like southern Italy than England. xD

Jiro
01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Those poor souls who will (eventually) turn up in the dreary view of England. I thought it was just a joke but apparently the rain is basically horizontal? That's three testimonies now, they can't all be liars (though all three of them are from Bolton, so well you know how they are)

Rye
01-08-2010, 02:15 PM
It seems perfectly vertical to me! The rain is almost always super weak. On Long Island, the rain is actually usually horizontal because it's always windy due to being so close to the Atlantic on all sides and being a thin small island. Wouldn't expect better from a place that has "HURRICANE EVACUATION POINT" signs everywhere. XD

Meat Puppet
01-08-2010, 03:06 PM
No, but I once missed my transfer in Texas! I thought I was going to have to live out the rest of my life there... it was quite scary.

Shiny
01-08-2010, 04:00 PM
It's been delayed a few times. I ended up being in LaGuarida airport for something around ten hours and in Washington's D.C.'s airport for six hours. The second one wasn't as painful because I was eating for much of that time. The first was interesting because they ended up losing a bunch of my mom's shoes en route. She flipped out on the whole airport staff and it took another ten hours to sort that whole ordeal out.

Breine
01-08-2010, 04:24 PM
I've had plenty delays on flights. Most have been pretty small, i.e. an hour or under. Some longer too.

The latest one I remember was a plane from Delhi to Bangkok which was delayed for like 2 hours or something like that.

smittenkitten
01-08-2010, 06:28 PM
I was stuck on a bus for almost 45 mins and it should only take 15 mins! :eek: So I was like 25 mins late for my work but they understood because of the snow in Edinbugh the traffic has been bad.

Shiny
01-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Newark Airport blows and so does Newark. (http://www.gadling.com/2010/01/08/video-shows-the-cause-of-newark-airport-shutdown-a-couple-in-l/?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gadling.com%2F2010%2F01%2F08%2Fvideo-shows-the-cause-of-newark-airport-shutdown-a-couple-in-l%2F)

Raistlin
01-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Most of New Jersey sucks, so that's not surprising.

EDIT: actually that link is more about another topic, which is how much TSA sucks.

Bunny
01-09-2010, 12:19 AM
And how people are retarded as fuck.

Rodarian
01-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Been through many small delays but the most epic one was coming going back to Toronto in summer 03.. One flight delay caused my other flight to heathrow to depart, leaving behind around 50-60 passengers. We all had to get re routed through other airlines or wait for its own to come in... I got bummed into Emirates (originally on Qatar) but I had to wait seven hours!....The only silver lining was I was placed on business class through and through! :cool:

Rye
01-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Whoa the plane actually wasn't delayed even though everyone else's was!

We just arrived back a few hours ago. Took a bit of nap, unpacked. got food, and now we're cracking open the duty free shopping bottles.

http://www.moodiereport.com/images/BaileysORGandCC.jpg + http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/ryechuuu/bearrum.jpg (except a bottle about the size of my head - IT'S HUGE) + Halal Burgers = :)

KuRt
01-10-2010, 03:36 AM
My cousin told me when he was flying from Egypt to Finland the tour guide started speaking to the bus's mic at the airport like "I've got good news and bad news. Bad news first - the flight is going to be delayed for half an hour". Everyone was saying 'goddamnit' and some worse stuff until the tour guide started speaking again: "the good news being, the Swedes' plane is going to be 13 hours late." Everyone laughed and gave each other high fives:jess:

Rodarian
01-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Rye: Why do I imagine you sayng Hal- AL burgers in an anglo saxon accent?!