PDA

View Full Version : Can't Cook Wont Cook?

Badge
01-07-2010, 06:29 PM
What foods do you like to cook for people or just for yourself?

Can you cook?

What is your signature dish?

Jojee
01-07-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't cook that often xD Occasionally I'll try something new or invent some dish and try it myself, and I'll think it tastes good, but I still don't want to cook it for other people! I don't have that much confidence in my cooking abilities so I'm always afraid people will be like eugh what is this crap!?

I like baking a lot more than cooking. :3

Shlup
01-07-2010, 06:38 PM
I've been cooking a new recipe every night this week so far. My husband just started a new job so I've been trying to have a home-cooked meal ready about the time he gets home. So far he's loved every recipe.

Yesterday I went through my cookbooks (I have like ten) and bookmarked more recipes I want to try. Last night was a turkey chili recipe from Deceptively Delicious (http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/B001WAKOXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262889516&sr=8-1).

kikimm
01-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I love to cook. I only really started doing it...god I guess it's been almost 2 years now. Before I went to New Zealand I couldn't do anything. But living on my own, instead of eating fast food all the time or whatever, I decided I wanted to cook. And now it is like one of the greatest loves of my life. ;D I like cooking all kinds of things, but I'm definitely more into desserts though.

And while I don't have a signature dish or anything, all food is great, certain things I am in love with include vanilla beans, cinnamon, smoked paprika, cumin, sage...oh dear. *wistful sigh*

Psychotic
01-07-2010, 07:02 PM
I can cook nothing but steak, but frankly that's all anyone needs to know.

Melissaur
01-07-2010, 07:13 PM
I've been cooking for 10 years now and I love it! I love making chili and chicken cordon bleu. Really I can cook just about anything, and I very seldom follow recipes. I love just winging it in the kitchen and seeing if it's good or not. I find it to be very soothing and calming.

Bunny
01-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Last time I went into the kitchen, my girlfriend almost ripped off my manjunk.

Rantz
01-07-2010, 07:21 PM
The best I can do is lasagna or spinach+feta potato gratin! But those are quite delicious, so I don't mind! I kinda wish I was a more versatile cook, though.

Raistlin
01-07-2010, 07:47 PM
I can cook decently enough in that I can follow a recipe, but I don't care enough to most of the time. For just myself, about as far as I'll go is a simple pasta dish.

Rye
01-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Huxley says I make amazing chicken cutlets. Before I dip them in the bread crumbs to fry, I dip them in hot spice mix powder mixed with a few drops of oil so that they stick to the pieces of chicken. It gives it a flavorful kick.

I'm also really good at making pasta sauce. I do that same thing with the hot spice mix, plus, I put in a tiny bit of soy sauce, and I mix in chopped yellow peppers and onions. It makes this combination that makes me salivate thinking about.

Mirage
01-07-2010, 08:00 PM
my signature dish is pasta with a tomato and meat-filled sauce that varies slightly each time I make it. I don't follow any specific recipie for it :p.

I'm also known for pretty tasty homemade pizzas.

ANGRYWOLF
01-07-2010, 08:03 PM
My favorite thing to cook, probably t-bone or ribeye steak.
Add a baked potato and some veggies, perhaps a salad and a nice piece of pie, preferably cherry along with something cold to drink and you are all set to go.
;)

BarelySeeAtAll
01-07-2010, 08:30 PM
I just can't cook T_T Undercooked the lasagne, overcooked the garlic bread..

Can do pasta? Not hard but I like it, even if my family isn't that keen on it >:(

drotato
01-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm a terrible cook. I burnt macaroni one time, and I thought that was the easiest thing to make in the world... /:

Will is a really good cook though. He can make just about anything. xDD

Meat Puppet
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I cook for money.

smittenkitten
01-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I think I can cook pretty well but I am also very lazy but lately I have been cooking more often. That is probably because Daniel groan at me because he did all the cooking for like ages, but I do it now so he can shut up. *puts rat posion in the mashed potatoes* :mwahaha:

Rodarian
01-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I can cook breakfast. Eggs, french toast, pancakes, waffles, sausages....

I can cook a poor man's pizza, and spagetti..Thats all I know...

Breine
01-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm a pretty good cook I guess. I don't cook that often (mainly because I still live at home), but I soon move out and then more cooking will begin! - I'm actually kinda looking forward to it.. all the experimenting!

Bastian
01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Zero cooking skills for the win!

But I'm good at boiling instant noodles!

Melissaur
01-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Men in the kitchen is sexy, unless they are making a mess that I'll have to clean up.

Bastian
01-09-2010, 10:01 PM
D'oh! I should have said: "The only thing I can make is . . . a mess!"

Namingway
01-09-2010, 11:00 PM
I can cook as long as I have some sort of recipe to follow, or to start from and then make some adjustments. Signature "dish" right now would probably be my gingerbread muffins.

Melissaur
01-09-2010, 11:15 PM
*drools all over* You're going to send me some of those right?

Namingway
01-10-2010, 12:12 AM
*drools all over* You're going to send me some of those right?
Well, I can send you the recipe :)

Levian
01-10-2010, 12:49 AM
My dad said my pizza was the best pizza he had ever tasted. :cool: Coming from a 130 year old man that's not so shabby.

Dignified Pauper
01-10-2010, 12:52 AM
I am an expert at cooking the attached:

WildRaubtier
01-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Vegetables. In the microwave.

Carrot and Asparagus for lunch, Broccoli, Cauliflower and Snow Peas for tea.

Cheap, easy, nutritious and tolerable in the taste department :S

Shiny
01-10-2010, 01:25 AM
I make the best homemade pancakes ever.

KuRt
01-10-2010, 03:14 AM
Many people have been saying that my blueberrypie is the best, even my grandma. That's a lot for me 'cause i think she's the best there is when it's about making desserts.

Rocket Edge
01-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I fucking adore cooking. I seriously enjoy the process of making a meal, 'cos it puts me at ease. I make a mean Stew.

Namingway
01-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Question for y'all: what do you enjoy most - cooking for yourself, or for others?

Raistlin
01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Neither, though I'm more motivated to do a bit of cooking for myself, because, well, I have to eat.

Rantz
01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
If I'm cooking for others, that's definitely a motivation to actually make something nice. If it's for myself I usually cba making anything special.

Melissaur
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Basically the same as Rantzien. I don't cook for myself, I'll usually just pop something in the microwave or make instant shizz, But if I have someone to cook for I go all out.

Badge
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
I love cooking for me and my boyfriend as he doesn't judge it as we will both eat anything haha....

~*~Celes~*~
01-10-2010, 09:31 PM
I love to cook and while usually i'll just make something quick, there are times where I'll feel motivated to actually try something new.

Namingway
01-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Basically the same as Rantzien. I don't cook for myself, I'll usually just pop something in the microwave or make instant shizz, But if I have someone to cook for I go all out.
Same here. It's a great way to make someone happy.
Baking is nice. Now I just need to get good at it... currently I've only been successful with the muffins mentioner earlier. My colleague at the student union seems to like it though :)

Iceglow
01-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I am often told how great a cook I am on the occassions when I do cook something. I'm a quick learner too if I read a cookery book then I can generally make a dish very well because I'm meticulous with the details if the book said 3 mins at 180 degrees it's 3 mins at that temp no matter what, I'll set reminders/alarms even to make sure I get it right.

However I truly, truly dislike cooking. Left to my own devices I would probably live of cereal, sandwiches, pasta/rice/couscous and the occassional oven cook pizza. It's a fact which bugs my girlfriend a lot, she is a fair cook but professes to be not a patch on myself (I personally don't think she's as bad as she makes out she is) however she loves to cook and yet heres me who can cook an awesome array of foods and yet I hate doing so. Hence we made a deal, I don't generally care if I end up doing all the dishes or not so if I cook she washes up but whenever she cooks I get to do the dishes. Since she refuses to let me simply live on the sandwiches diet she cooks a lot.

The dish I tend to cook the best is probably my pasta bakes (everything, sauce included is freshly made from scratch) though my mom also taught me how to make an excellent shepherds pie. Heck my sunday roast is pretty damn good, though I've only ever been willing to cook it twice. Once because my mom had a broken wrist and physically couldn't do it herself and at the time, my sister hadn't learnt the art of cooking and would likely kill us all with e-coli.

Badge
01-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Dinner at Iceglow's then?!

Iceglow
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Dinner at Iceglow's then?!

You wish chels, you wish :P

Badge
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah I'm kinda hungry actually...

Aerith's Knight
01-12-2010, 04:00 PM