PDA

View Full Version : Gamerfail

rubah
01-08-2010, 02:55 AM
So I borrowed one of my friend's copy of Wild ARMs two or three years ago when we were freshmen in the dorms. I played it a lot over Christmas, but got frustrated at the lack of a World Map; once I got the ship and was sailing around the Inner and Outer oceans, I was irritated at having to fight so many encounters while blindly navigating my way.

So I shelved the game, bringing it out at christmas when I would be bored.

Kishi and I picked it back up, following a walkthrough just to make it simple, since it had been so long I had forgotten everything I had to do and had already done. I had already used the duplication trick to gain godly stats (no, I have no qualms), so this was mostly finishing the last 10% of storyline and a buttload of side quests, including Ragu Ragula, the super boss, and Angol Moa and Flash Rang in the Ancient Arena. I equipped some Goat Dolls at the guide's insistance for Ragu Ragula, but never died for them.

Ragu Ragla is the strongest boss in the game, as well as the strangest-looking. Equip those Goat Dolls, because you'll never beat him without them! Ragu's Volcanic Bomb spell does 7000 damage to the whole party... ouch. Rudy should use the Arch Smash, Jack should cast Phazer Zapp (Trump Card's usless because you always have very little HP), and Cecilia should use Hi-Blast (all elemental magic will heal Ragu). Be absolutely sure to equip new Goat Dolls when you use them up. Don't even bother healing, because you're just going to get killed each turn... you won't be able to do Force attacks either, because you lose your Force each time you die. The only thing that really matters here is how big your supply of Goat Dolls is... if it's big enough, you'll win eventually.

Anyways, I was complaining about the lack of a world map, and kishi intimated that he had read you can merely press select. I pound on it showing the futility, and then posit "There was probably an item I missed back in the beginning."

hehehehehe, I have a world map now, with only the final dungeon left.

What was your last gamerfail?

Peegee
01-08-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm not sure, but I will tell you this:

When I used to play world of warcraft, I started playing with no understanding that hitting 'M' would bring up the world map.

So for about.....25 levels or so, I ran around actually memorizing the location. So when I went to Hillsbrad Foothills, I was totally lost (I still remember to this day that I thought the place was a huge maze of farms).

Then suddenly I learned the M key, and subsequently how to actually play well, and the game became fail.

=)

Jessweeee♪
01-08-2010, 03:27 AM
I was whining about not being able to use the camera in 358/2 Days and then I actually gave Type B controls a try.

krissy
01-08-2010, 03:30 AM
i didn't understand the materia system and healing without items until i left midgar. i was buying potions with the money i made from boss fights/found because:

i didn't understand leveling up made your characters stronger until i got to nibleheim (in the present)

edit: i played the game once a week for a few months before getting a memory card. none of these things i understood for all these months.

Raistlin
01-08-2010, 03:32 AM
I think I've posted about this before, but playing the NES Ninja Turtles, a friend and I spent 30-45 minutes trying to cross this one stupid crack in the second level of one area, tried a dozen or more times trying to jump across... only to realize that you could simply walk across it easily. We just stopped for a moment staring in shock before a major *facepalm* moment.

There's also been plenty of times when I knew I needed to head east/west in a game, and obliviously went far west/east instead. I think the worst one was at a 2nd or 3rd playthrough of Suikoden II I knew I needed to head west to Lakewest (go figure), and then went straight east and couldn't figure out where it was. It probably took me 5-10 minutes to realize my stupid mistake. And it's especially weird since I never have trouble with such directions in real life.

G13
01-08-2010, 03:45 AM
When I first played Oblivion I didn't know about Fast Travel. I went through about half the game running everywhere. It took so long. After whining about it to a friend he told me about Fast Travel and the game became 10x better.

Shiny
01-08-2010, 04:04 AM
I'm not sure if this constitutes as gamerfail or not, but I was playing one of the Crash Bandicoot games...I think it was Crash Bash. I got to the end of the game and was just about to beat the final boss when suddenly my arm some how caught the cord to the console. The plug came out and the entire thing was unsaved. I was p.o.

arcanedude34
01-08-2010, 04:11 AM
I was whining about not being able to use the camera in 358/2 Days and then I actually gave Type B controls a try.
A problem many gaming magazines seemed not to figure out in time to release a fair review.

My biggest gaming fail? I beat Dark Knight Cecil by attacking and spamming potions until he pity-quit the first few playthroughs of the game. XD

And it took me twenty+ minutes to cave and read a walkthrough to pass the "The Codec number's on the back of the CD case" puzzle in Metal Gear Solid. Not only do you have a CD in your inventory, it was doubly frustrating for me as I was playing Essential Collection, and the Codec number was on the back of the box holding the three games together, rather than the CD case. A frustrating anti-piracy measure, to be sure.

~*~Celes~*~
01-08-2010, 04:43 AM
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. I had to find a certain place by going Southwest or something and I ended up stranded in the water, completely missing my location. Still dunno where to go D=

NorthernChaosGod
01-08-2010, 04:51 AM
And it took me twenty+ minutes to cave and read a walkthrough to pass the "The Codec number's on the back of the CD case" puzzle in Metal Gear Solid. Not only do you have a CD in your inventory, it was doubly frustrating for me as I was playing Essential Collection, and the Codec number was on the back of the box holding the three games together, rather than the CD case. A frustrating anti-piracy measure, to be sure.

Lol, I always hated that. It took me ages to figure it out back when it was new, and this was before I was really into the internet so I couldn't have looked online for help.

black orb
01-08-2010, 05:04 AM
>>> All the Arc the Lad games, all the Vandal Hearts games, some Dragon Quest, Tales, Grandia games, Tactics Ogre, Wild Arms, various Star Ocean, Radiata Stories, Hack, Etc.. and the list can keep going on..:luca:

Jessweeee♪
01-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Hahaha once I was playing this game called Metropolismania, and I walked so far out into the water I couldn't get back to the town xD

Wolf Kanno
01-08-2010, 10:01 AM
The first time I played FFVI and consequently, my first turn based RPG, I couldn't figure out which button was the confirm button cause it being default on Wait Mode made me think that even though I confirmed the action their non-responsiveness made me think I didn't confirm the command. After a good five minutes of confirming and then canceling my commands with no effect, I said screw it and went back to playing Secret of Mana.

My GF has a really funny one too. She finally got to play FFX (the only other FF she has ever played is X-2) and she got all the way to Macalania Temple before she figured out how to use spheres to activate the sphere nodes. Yes, she got 1/2 way into the game with starting stats and abilities with only a few minor problems on the way. You cannot argue with me when I say this game is too easy as she is a novice at FF games. (Though lately I think she may be better at MGS3 than I am...)

Shattered Dreamer
01-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Way back when on my 1st FFVIII play through I was on the part of disc one where you had to head to Galbadia Garden. Instead of getting off at the train station near the forest you have to go through to trigger the Laguna dream sequence, I stayed on the train until it stopped at Dollet! It took me about 2 hours to find the forest. Epic gamer fail!

Jiro
01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Not long after starting my first playthrough of FFII, I actually ended up at Mysidia, beat up pretty badly. So I went to the inn, did all that usual business, and then tried to leave. I couldn't escape before the enemies killed me. I was stuck there for a few hours trying to run but they were too strong.

Momiji
01-08-2010, 09:01 PM

No kidding. I just started the game the other day and was so frustrated with the Type A controls that I didn't even want to play the game. Then the game was all 'oh hi you can use Type B controls you know the ones that actually work' and now I can play it much better and I'm not frustrated with it anymore ;D

NorthernChaosGod
01-09-2010, 07:15 AM
Way back when on my 1st FFVIII play through I was on the part of disc one where you had to head to Galbadia Garden. Instead of getting off at the train station near the forest you have to go through to trigger the Laguna dream sequence, I stayed on the train until it stopped at Dollet! It took me about 2 hours to find the forest. Epic gamer fail!

You can do that? o_O

Jessweeee♪
01-09-2010, 07:20 AM

You can do that? o_O

I did something like that. Or I stopped at the right place but went in the completely wrong direction or something. Whatever I did I was lost for a good hour or two.

Jiro
01-09-2010, 07:23 AM
I got off at Dollet every time. The first time I ended up back at Timber looking for the forest, but then after that I figured out where I had to go :p