PDA

View Full Version : Exercise is GOOD for you?!

BarelySeeAtAll
01-09-2010, 08:17 PM
It's not meant to hurt so much >_< Worked out [to Evanescence :cool:] for a while yesterday for the first time in a long while :eek: and I woke up this morning positively aching on my shoulder blades and chest. One aerobics session, we used weights..next day I could NOT lift my arms.

Anyone else ever stupidly gone to great lengths to get fit or w/e :mad: and left you feeling absolutely, stupidly, pained? :confused:

Melissaur
01-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes. Since I've been preggo, I've been trying to exercise so it'll be easier once I have the baby, but OMG I JUST CAN'T DO IT! ;_; The first day I did 50 squats *Zach Fair style* and went on a 30 minute walk. I also did 50 arm curls, 50 arm extensions, and 20 sit-ups (>_<) and the next morning I could not walk up and down the stairs, nor could I lift anything weighing more then 0 pounds.

Moon Rabbits
01-09-2010, 08:27 PM
I don't do weight training because it is way too repetitive for me to want to bother.

I do yoga erryday, though, and depending on how long of a flow I do I can be left pretty pained. Usually my spine, upper arms, and thighs are what get stretched / hurt the most.

Badge
01-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Doing martial arts for 7 years, you get used to the pain....

Faris
01-09-2010, 09:04 PM
When I did go to the gym more frequently (I fell out of habit due to a back spasm) I felt great after. Of course the first few days are hard but it's something that gets easier as you do it more.

Raistlin
01-09-2010, 09:06 PM
I played soccer in high school, and late August when practice started would absolutely kill me, every year. My whole body would be sore for days, because I did absolutely nothing over the summer.

I get a little bit of exercise now (exclusively cardio), but nothing to that extent.

Shlup
01-09-2010, 09:11 PM
BJ and I exercise every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. We do cardio and then aerobics and weights in our garage. Now that he's working full time I'm trying to find a way to add yoga into my daily housewifey routine.

I like super soreness after working out. It shows that your efforts weren't wasted.

Bastian
01-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Anytime you work out any muscle that is unused to being worked out, it will be sore the next day or two. The more often you work out said muscle the less it will be sore.

Conversely, anytime I'm NOT sore the day after lifting, I know I didn't hit it hard enough.

Breine
01-09-2010, 09:22 PM
I like super soreness after working out. It shows that your efforts weren't wasted.

Yes. My thoughts exactly.

Some years ago I used to go to the gym with a friend of mine, and we'd try to be super masculine and do the whole weight training thing. It was fine and all, but I remember that I definitely could feel it the day after the first couple of times.
The key thing is to streeeeeeetch after your workout.

Mirage
01-09-2010, 10:04 PM
As far as I'm concerned, muscle soreness after not working out for a long time is just the body telling you that you really need to be more active.

Or you could have done some exercises somewhat wrong, or you started with too hard stuff considering your earlier inactivity.

I also don't notice a mentionable difference in soreness depending on having stretched out afterwards or not. It does have an impact on flexibility though.

G13
01-09-2010, 11:02 PM
If it doesn't hurt it's not working. :colbert:

Levian
01-10-2010, 12:34 AM
When you work out, the muscle gods get angry and you will need to either eat chocolate or sacrifice an eel to appease them. Chocolate aren't as slippery as eels, making them much easier to catch, so that's usually the route I take.

Melissaur
01-10-2010, 12:47 AM
OMG that's the best after workout advice I have ever heard.

KuRt
01-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Because i've been mostly nerding for the last two years i started doing pushups a few weeks ago to open my shoulders. I was amazed it started to hurt so quickly because I can do a seires of 80kg weight lifting and that doesnt hurt my shoulders/shoulder blades NEARLY as much as 40 pushups. Also i've been running 5-10km almost every day now for the last four months but it seems whenever I play Stepmania/Dance Dance Revolution it starts to hurt the front of my shins as in the muscles there were overused. Altho there are no muscles in the front of the shin between the bone and the skin:Oo:

Mirage
01-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Are you sure there are no muscles in the front of the shin? I'm pretty sure I've felt one.

Raistlin
01-10-2010, 02:53 AM
Also i've been running 5-10km almost every day now for the last four months but it seems whenever I play Stepmania/Dance Dance Revolution it starts to hurt the front of my shins as in the muscles there were overused. Altho there are no muscles in the front of the shin between the bone and the skin:Oo:

Shin splints. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints)

KuRt
01-10-2010, 03:10 AM
Are you sure there are no muscles in the front of the shin? I'm pretty sure I've felt one.

I've actually seen my shinbone 'cause my friend pushed me against a metal door edge "by accident" and my foot tore up and nope, there was only skin and bone.

It's propably shin splints then. Thanks for some real help Raistlin.

NorthernChaosGod
01-10-2010, 03:20 AM
It's not meant to hurt so much >_< Worked out [to Evanescence :cool:] for a while yesterday for the first time in a long while :eek: and I woke up this morning positively aching on my shoulder blades and chest. One aerobics session, we used weights..next day I could NOT lift my arms.

Anyone else ever stupidly gone to great lengths to get fit or w/e :mad: and left you feeling absolutely, stupidly, pained? :confused:

It's not supposed to hurt if you're doing it right. Was it sore or actual pain?

A couple weeks ago I hit the gym pretty hard after not going for a while and I was sore all over for about a week straight. I made sure not to overdo it and stretch and everything, but I was still hella sore and had a limited range of motion.

Rye
01-10-2010, 10:47 AM
I like the sore feeling after I work out, but I hate it WHILE I work out! xD

scrumpleberry
01-10-2010, 12:37 PM
If it's just muscle fatigue then that's good and all you can do to help it is keep on moving. I actually find if I do cardio and I really feel very sore like that the next day and can't face another HARDKOAR WORKOUT, doing yoga, which isn't easier but it's lower impact, helps. If you've genuinely damaged something then just take it easy next time. Excercise is good for you as long as you don't break everything by doing it wrong.

WildRaubtier
01-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Working out is a pretty silly idea, really. With a few smart lifestyle changes, you can get your daily dose of exercise incidentally to whatever happens through the day. Otherwise, you just worry about forgetting or not having the time, etc.

For example, I cycle everywhere. Using the trains and some foresight as to how long it'll take, I can get anywhere I need to be.

Slothy
01-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't do weight training because it is way too repetitive for me to want to bother.

If your weight training is repetitive then you're doing it wrong.

Anyway, yeah, I've ended up pretty sore after the first workout after a period of relative inactivity. I generally have to be careful too when I start working out again because I'd be a reasonable candidate for a case of Rhabdomyolysis if I try to just push myself too hard during the workout.

Mirage
01-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Working out is a pretty silly idea, really. With a few smart lifestyle changes, you can get your daily dose of exercise incidentally to whatever happens through the day. Otherwise, you just worry about forgetting or not having the time, etc.

For example, I cycle everywhere. Using the trains and some foresight as to how long it'll take, I can get anywhere I need to be.

I cycle everywhere too, when I can. Lots of snow and ice 4 months a year sort of makes biking a non-option for those months unless I want to die real young. Sure, there are winter tires for bikes too, but they are far from as effective for a bike as winter tires for a car is for cars.

Other than that, I don't really do lots of things on a daily basis that exercises my upper body. What do you do?

WildRaubtier
01-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I usually take for granted having sunshine an even 400 days a year. Still, other things like taking the stairs are just as good.

KentaRawr!
01-10-2010, 03:15 PM
If you add a decent cool-down period to your workout, that should help ease the pain.

Mirage
01-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I usually take for granted having sunshine an even 400 days a year. Still, other things like taking the stairs are just as good.

Sure, but that still leaves much to desired for my upper body strength, of which I've got nearly none :p.

rubah
01-10-2010, 10:16 PM
After a month off school, it's time to start building up my walking/hill endurance.

I should start the 100 push ups thing again xD

btw, http://forums.eyesonff.com/group.php?groupid=22

Moon Rabbits
01-10-2010, 10:23 PM

If your weight training is repetitive then you're doing it wrong.

Anyway, yeah, I've ended up pretty sore after the first workout after a period of relative inactivity. I generally have to be careful too when I start working out again because I'd be a reasonable candidate for a case of Rhabdomyolysis if I try to just push myself too hard during the workout.

Burrrrrrp. I'm under the impression that weight training = lifting weights over and over again. That thar be repetitive, to me.

Slothy
01-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Burrrrrrp. I'm under the impression that weight training = lifting weights over and over again. That thar be repetitive, to me.

Any exercise regime is doing the same thing over and over again. Biking is pedaling a bike over and over. Running is stepping one foot in front of the other over and over. Yoga is holding the same damn poses over and over.

My understanding of your comment was that you were probably making the argument a lot of people make about weight lifting: that running through the same routine week in and week out is boring. My point was that varying strength training with different exercises and intensity gets better results in terms of strength building than getting stuck in a training rut. Hence, if you consider weight training boring for the same reason most people do then you're doing it wrong. Variety staves off boredom and produces better fitness results.

Rye
01-10-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm so ready for miles a day walking to shape me up again here!

rubah
01-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Maybe moon rabbits needs to weight lift while on a train so the scenery keeps him fresh? :D

NorthernChaosGod
01-12-2010, 01:17 AM

lol wat

So you can have massive legs and no upper body strength? If the choice is either cardio or resistance training, you should always choose resistance.

Peegee
01-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I did mild exercise for the past month, so when I finally got a membership to a gym, it completely kicked my ass.

Oh well! It's a good thing