PDA

View Full Version : Grammar mistakes your friends make

KentaRawr!
01-10-2010, 12:53 AM
One friend of mine never adds the plural to the word "chest". Like, "Boy, those are some big treasure chest!" It's the same thing with other words ending with t. "I'm trying to finish these quest." Then, one common between this friend and a few others is adding an extra "ed" to "Equiped". So, RPG sentences generally go like this:

"I'm trying to finish these quest. After beating one, I opened some treasure chest that had an item that I equipeded."

Grrr!

So, what are your friend's talking-quirks?

Bastian
01-10-2010, 01:25 AM
My friend Sarah has some of the worst grammar (thank god she'll never read this). She says things like "her and me were going to go to.." and also she says "conversate" ALL THE TIME instead of "converse." Now, I know that "conversate" is now considered a word (slang) but she doesn't really use any other slang. She actually thinks it's a legitimate word.

Almost all of my friends save one uses "I" when they should be using "me." Actually, almost everyone I have ever heard speak including writing and literature teachers uses it incorrectly. Example: "Would you like to come to the park with Lance and I?" UGH! NO! It's "Lance and me" ME ME MEMEMEME!

That's one of my pet peeves.

Also, I cannot abide the trend of inappropriate apostrophes. But that's not grammar exactly. I've corrected three of my most recent bosses on their use of 's.

Raistlin
01-10-2010, 02:57 AM
I wouldn't call them friends, but some of the local basketball officials I work with say "axe" instead of "ask." I guess there's a reason it's a black stereotype. It's not really a grammar mistake, but something I always notice.

Some of my friends, though also tons of other people, say "I could care less," when they really mean "I couldn't care less."

NorthernChaosGod
01-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Some of my friends, though also tons of other people, say "I could care less," when they really mean "I couldn't care less."

That one.

And when people say they are doing good. No you're not, you're doing well.

And "same difference". That doesn't mean anything!

Rye
01-10-2010, 11:56 PM
There's a few things I can't pronounce, for whatever reason, because of my accent.

Ask = ass. I can never put the k on the end. To do so involves and over-emphasis that feels entirely unnatural to me.

I can't remember the rest though.

Cuchulainn
01-11-2010, 12:44 AM
One friend of mine never adds the plural to the word "chest". Like, "Boy, those are some big treasure chest!" It's the same thing with other words ending with t. "I'm trying to finish these quest." Then, one common between this friend and a few others is adding an extra "ed" to "Equiped". So, RPG sentences generally go like this:

"I'm trying to finish these quest. After beating one, I opened some treasure chest that had an item that I equipeded."

Grrr!

The bigger question is why on earth do you give a :bou::bou::bou::bou:?

rubah
01-11-2010, 01:50 AM
A girl I've known for a long time used to say 'ideal' in lieu of 'idea'. She still does.

LowCaloriePie
01-11-2010, 02:33 AM
This isn't so much of a grammar mistake more as a lisp, I guess you could say. My friend Erik cannot, for the life of him, say "mouth." It's always "moth" or "mouff." He insists he's pronouncing it right but... he just isn't. Heh heh!

Levian
01-11-2010, 02:47 AM
I can't say I've noticed any of my friends speaking wrong in any way. Whether that's because I don't pay attention or because I really don't give a damn, I don't know. Probably both!

Bunny
01-11-2010, 04:54 AM
What friends?

Bastian
01-11-2010, 05:23 AM
When he was a kid, my best friend used to say "cousant" instead of "cousin."

Also, my ex caught me saying "foil-age" instead of "foliage." AND made fun of me for saying "orangatang" instead of "orangutan." Jerk. :P

Moon Rabbits
01-11-2010, 06:41 AM
i don't care about grammar unless it's something atrocious like "equippeded" or "brang" or "dranken" or something being used in a serious conversation. or if it's a paper for school or something.

otherwise i could give two :bou::bou::bou::bou:s about grammar. i can be exceptionally eloquent when i'm speaking (imo imo ;)) but nine times out of ten i'll be saying something like "mother fuck my foot fangles are frozen"

Rye
01-11-2010, 01:57 PM
This isn't so much of a grammar mistake more as a lisp, I guess you could say. My friend Erik cannot, for the life of him, say "mouth." It's always "moth" or "mouff." He insists he's pronouncing it right but... he just isn't. Heh heh!

Hahahha, I say "mouff" too.

I have a bit of a lisp.

Rodarian
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I can't recall what grammatic mistakes two of my friends make but as soon as I hear them I will post back!

KentaRawr!
01-11-2010, 08:12 PM

Grrr!

The bigger question is why on earth do you give a :bou::bou::bou::bou:?

That same question can be asked for loads of threads here on EoFF. As to why I give a collection of bous, it's because it stands out. :tongue:

nik0tine
01-11-2010, 10:41 PM
My best friend has always referred to spaghetti as 'bascetti'. Also, when he was a touch younger 'Muhammad Ali' was 'Bahamat Ali' :p.

KentaRawr!
01-12-2010, 01:57 AM
You know what's hilarious?

I just realized I made a ton of grammar mistakes in the title.

Raistlin
01-12-2010, 02:30 AM
And here I had given you credit for being ironic. It appears I overestimated you.

I Took the Red Pill
01-12-2010, 02:33 AM
I could've sworn everything was right in the title when you first made it

evil forces at work here brah, changing titles and whatnot

Raistlin
01-12-2010, 02:36 AM
Hmm... it's possible a staffer messed with it. I saw the mistakes just before I clicked on the thread the last time; I don't remember noticing anything when I originally replied.

My guess is either Del or Rantzien.

NorthernChaosGod
01-12-2010, 02:36 AM
And here I had given you credit for being ironic. It appears I overestimated you.

This. You shouldn't have said anything.

rubah
01-12-2010, 03:14 AM
I assumed it had been edited as well

KentaRawr!
01-12-2010, 03:42 AM
Perhaps it was altered. That would make me feel better. :p

Madame Adequate
01-12-2010, 09:10 AM
I and I breda, 'ot box seen? Star.

Rantz
01-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Hmm... it's possible a staffer messed with it. I saw the mistakes just before I clicked on the thread the last time; I don't remember noticing anything when I originally replied.

:shifty:

Jessweeee♪
01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
You all need to use a little more slang.

blackmage_nuke
01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Apparently I pronounce TH as f or v but i honestly dont hear the difference and when i try to move my tounge the way they describe it just takes more effort and makes me spit.

You all Y'all need to gotta use a littleli'l more mo slang.

fix'd

KentaRawr!
01-12-2010, 02:38 PM

That's an incomplete sentence, Rantzien.

rubah
01-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Apparently I pronounce TH as f or v but i honestly dont hear the difference and when i try to move my tounge the way they describe it just takes more effort and makes me spit.

I remember sitting on the bus in early elementary school, looking out the window and saying the words 'three' and 'free' over and over, trying to discern a difference.

You should practice though-- good and precise speaking is useful in a lot of ways

Psychotic
01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
I always like to think that people who spell it "grammer" are trying to be ironic.

KentaRawr!
01-12-2010, 04:36 PM
I swear, I spelled grammar correctly when I made this topic.

Raistlin
01-12-2010, 05:55 PM

That's an incomplete sentence, Rantzien.

It's not so much incomplete as nonexistent.

Mercen-X
01-16-2010, 09:39 PM
I notice thousands of mistakes made by nearly everyone on this forum.

Also: Myspace, Otakuboards, AnimationInsider, "ooh! At my college, I notice most students write as if they're preschoolers enrolled in a special kids program."

What the hell is wrong with US kids?

Vermachtnis
01-16-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't really care about real life, cause I tend to get over excited and talk like a three year old myself. But online, I keep complaining about my friends who never use the shift key. I mean come on, it's right there! SHIFT! CHRIS, SHIIIIIIIFT!

rubah
01-16-2010, 10:44 PM
I notice thousands of mistakes made by nearly everyone on this forum.

Also: Myspace, Otakuboards, AnimationInsider, "ooh! At my college, I notice most students write as if they're preschoolers enrolled in a special kids program."

the same thing that is wrong with a lot of our parents, judging from the grown-ups on my facebook.

BarelySeeAtAll
01-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Quite literally just now:

About their version of American Idol -

the begining is awesome!!
when people >>>>whore<<<< overly...
self confident face the judges
now thats what singing idol is about
then i just lose interest.
like i saw it a year ago

:eek: They haven't even noticed!

LowCaloriePie
01-17-2010, 05:42 PM

As much as I love to insult the US, I'm pretty sure a majority of people, regardless of country, rape their language over teh interwebs.

Zeldy
01-20-2010, 07:28 PM
My Dad says "buzes" instead of "busses". It's a buz and not a bus. It gets me every time.

Levian
01-20-2010, 07:36 PM
It's more spelling than grammar, but it's a bit annoying when my norwegian friends butcher english. I know I'm no english wizard myself, but I think my spelling is pretty good when I see them trying to write. :D

Angle-of_death
SweatGirl17

:/

Rantz
01-20-2010, 08:25 PM
Lev, my friend. Could you give me SweatGirl17's MSN, please? :jokey:

Levian
01-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Xboard2dethX@hotmail.com

Mercen-X
02-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I've read something odd on Eyes On. I've decided to address the issue here. (clears throat with a loud irritating cough that causes everyone around me to turn and shush me)

There is no such phrase as "it is such etc. true and true"; the phrase is THROUGH and THROUGH which basically means "it is what it is and nothing more/will not change."

Also there's no such thing as a "tall-tale sign"; the term is "TELL-tale sign" expressing the fact that the SIGN TELLs the tale to follow. A talltale is a myth.

I Took the Red Pill
02-02-2010, 05:17 PM
There is no such phrase as "it is such etc. true and true"; the phrase is THROUGH and THROUGH which basically means "it is what it is and nothing more/will not change.huh, can't say I've ever heard anyone misuse the phrase like that. oh, you mean you read it on eoff?

Levian
02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
It used to annoy me when Ackamoo would spell it like Masterbate. When you do something 4 times a day, the least thing you can do is spell it right.

Shlup
02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Not a single one of my fourteen-year-old sister's friends know what the hell this crazy word "you're" is. Almost every comment on her MySpace pictures if "omg your so pretty!"

It drives me to madness.

Raistlin
02-02-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm reminded of some people who say "for all intensive purposes," which makes no sense. The phrase is "for all intents and purposes."

Mo-Nercy
02-02-2010, 06:03 PM
And also people who say "one foul swoop" as opposed to "one fell swoop"

NorthernChaosGod
02-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Basically any misuse of some word or phrase that people generally seem to miss, "supposebly" is one example that comes to mind. I'm not sure what else there is that hasn't been mentioned already.

Not a single one of my fourteen-year-old sister's friends know what the hell this crazy word "you're" is. Almost every comment on her MySpace pictures if "omg your so pretty!"

It drives me to madness.

Why are you on Myspace anyway? o_O

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-03-2010, 12:06 AM
My English teacher in grade 11 once told our class about a time when she was correcting the provincial English assessments and one student instead of writing "make belief" wrote "maple leaf". lol.

Imperfectionist
02-03-2010, 12:49 AM
For some reason my driving instructor always used to say 'patently' instead of 'blatently' which, even though I don't usually care about other people's grammar unless it's for something important, REALLY starts to grate when you're stuck in a car for hours on end with someone endlessly saying 'now he could PATENTLY see you there and he still pulled out...'

rubah
02-03-2010, 02:14 AM
That's patently ridiculous, Imperfectionist!

~*~Celes~*~
02-03-2010, 03:44 AM
spelling mistakes:

definately, definetely (which I can understand, a lot of people don't know it's "definitely". I even used to spell it that way up until ~3 years ago when I looked it up.)

Odviously.

Supposedbly.

etc.. :(

Meat Puppet
02-03-2010, 11:24 AM

I'm reminded of some people who say "for all intensive purposes," which makes no sense. The phrase is "for all intents and purposes."

i see you have visited Paul Brians’ website recently

also I hope you enslaved those basketball people

Laddy
02-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I do not befriend people who make grammar mistakes!

I do not have many friends. :(

Raistlin
02-03-2010, 04:30 PM

i see you have visited Paul Brians’ website recently

also I hope you enslaved those basketball people

Huh? I figured the former out on my own, and the latter mistake I didn't think anyone made until my college roommate did so on a paper he asked me to proofread (I proceeded to laugh at him).

Mercen-X
02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh, my GOD, I love that!

I do not befriend people who make grammar mistakes!

I do not have many friends. :(Ditto'ed.