PDA

View Full Version : Spider man without....spider man

ANGRYWOLF
01-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Sony overhauls 'Spider-Man' sequel; Raimi, Maguire out | Company Town | Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/01/sony-overhauls-spiderman-sequel-raimi-maguire-out-.html)

epic fail !:mad2:

Shiny
01-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Raimi, Maguire and Dunst already said that they'd only do 3 movies. This was contracted way in advance, so this news isn't very surprising.

ANGRYWOLF
01-12-2010, 04:23 AM
and it's generally regarded as a negotiating ploy.

Maguire has made that studio more money that any other star they have.

So it was expected he would be offered some outrageous sum of money and come back.

So the epic fail comment stands.

Bunny
01-12-2010, 04:25 AM
A bad series has been made worse.

AntRid
01-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Why are they rebooting the franchise? The first movie came out in 2002? It’s too soon for a reboot! Just because the last film was bad doesn’t mean they need to start over! Look at Star Wars, they continue to fail yet they are still going.

Raistlin
01-12-2010, 05:20 AM
A bad series has been made worse.

Yeah, pretty much, although I might have said merely "mediocre" instead of "bad." It was a pretty disappointing series, regardless of the semantic labels.

G13
01-12-2010, 05:53 AM
Look at Star Wars, they continue to fail yet they are still going.

How dare you!

Seriously though, I get what you're saying. The second trilogy wasn't as good as it could have been, and the story was changed around somewhat.

I don't get why Spiderman was received so badly. I enjoyed them for what they were. It's a little upsetting to hear that it's going to be changing so drastically, but that's to be expected after the initial trilogy. Here's hoping it turns out better than I expect.

charliepanayi
01-12-2010, 09:00 AM
In short:

Spiderman - great, but weak villain
Spiderman 2 - great, better villain
Spiderman 3 - complete mess, and a lesson in what happens when you chuck too many villains into your films (as well as what happens the studio start forcing the director to do stuff he doesn't want to do)

It'd be a lot better if they just let the whole thing stop rather than further mess up the franchise, but while there's money to be made that'll never happen. Mind you, it can't be worse than Superman IV or Batman and Robin surely...

I Don't Need A Name
01-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Maybe this will make the films watchable!

Jiro
01-12-2010, 11:15 AM

How dare you!

I'll hold him, you pound on him.

G13
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Well, he is new. Maybe we should give him a break.

I thought 3 had a nice balance with the villains. Harry has to have a shot at revenge, Sandman poses a problem but is basically to keep Spidey in business while the symbiote does it's work, and then more revenge when Eddie becomes Venom. It is a bit much but at least it wasn't "Hey! Look at this!" in your face in the first five minutes.

I thought most of the story was a bit too drawn out but what do I know about making movies?

Depression Moon
01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Spiderman didn't do much at me. Especially looking back at those movies after Iron Man, Hulk, and Dark Knight, they were child's play in comparison.

I can actually see now the some of the reason it lacked greatness were because of its actors and the second reason is because Fox made it and they do poorly as a whole on creating adaptations.

I Took the Red Pill
01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
the fuck

Cyric
01-12-2010, 05:39 PM

How dare you!

I'll hold him, you pound on him.

Han Solo...is a bitch.

Boney King
01-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Why are they rebooting the franchise? The first movie came out in 2002? It’s too soon for a reboot! Just because the last film was bad doesn’t mean they need to start over! Look at Star Wars, they continue to fail yet they are still going.
Ang Lee's Hulk came out in 2003, but it was such a commercial failure that they rebooted the franchise in 2008.

Lesson: in Hollywood, it's never too soon.

Ouch!
01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Am I the only one who sees this as a good sign? The proposed new direction sounds an awful lot like Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man retcon series which started about a decade ago. Granted, I've not followed it since it was first released, but what I did read what a good adaptation of the original story.

I think this provides a pretty solid opportunity to do some very good things with the series. There's a lot of potential, and I'm not willing to shoot it down quite yet. As far as I'm concerned, ditching MacGuire and Dunst is a good thing for the series as a whole. It might be a bit soon for a new film adaptation, but I think if it's different enough, it won't matter.

charliepanayi
01-12-2010, 07:55 PM
I find it depressing that there seems to be more enthusiasm for Avatar here than there is for the first two Spiderman films. They're two of the best comic book adaptations out there, not perfect but still very good. Comparing it to The Dark Knight? Spiderman isn't Batman, it's not going to be dark and tortured. And without it I doubt we'd have got Iron Man to start with (as good as Iron Man is).

Ouch!
01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
But given how awesome Iron Man was, I'm excited to see Spider-Man being retconned with Marvel involvement.

Raistlin
01-12-2010, 08:23 PM
But given how awesome Iron Man was, I'm excited to see Spider-Man being retconned with Marvel involvement.

This I will agree with. The more involved Marvel is, the more likely the result won't suck.

ANGRYWOLF
01-12-2010, 08:31 PM
down there with Ishtar, Heaven's Gate, Wing Commander, and a number of other lesser lights.

Who cares what happened to Peter Parker when he was in high school ? If they say he got bit in HS they contradict the previous films and look entirely stupid in the process.

So the producers of this movie and Sony are just burying themselves and I will laugh when I see the finished product.

:tongue:

G13
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Han Solo...is a bitch.

There's a special place in Hell reserved for you. :colbert:

ANGRYWOLF
01-12-2010, 08:55 PM
'Spider-Man' Star Tobey Maguire's Next Move: Indie Or Hobbit? - Movie News Story | MTV Movie News (http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1629519/story.jhtml)

Nothing wrong with Hans Solo.

Maybe the next Star Wars movie..and I am firmly convinced we'll see one someday will be about Hans and Leia's kids.

;)

Ouch!
01-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Nothing wrong with Hans Solo.
It hurts...

G13
01-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Hahaha

Actually I heard that if Lucas ever decided to make another SW that he would make it about a young Yoda during... the Sith War I think. Something like that.

ANGRYWOLF
01-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Wars to someone else and let them reinvigorate the franchise...

Meanwhile who should be the next spider man ?

'Spider-Man' reboot: Who should play Peter Parker? | EW.com (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/01/12/spider-man-reboot-who-should-play-peter-parker/)

Zach Efron, Daniel Radcliff, or whomever ?:p

Raistlin
01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Meanwhile who should be the next spider man ?

'Spider-Man' reboot: Who should play Peter Parker? | EW.com (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/01/12/spider-man-reboot-who-should-play-peter-parker/)

Robert Pattinson...

I would shoot someone.

G13
01-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Robert Pattinson...

I would shoot someone.

Like him.

Depression Moon
01-12-2010, 10:55 PM
I find it depressing that there seems to be more enthusiasm for Avatar here than there is for the first two Spiderman films. They're two of the best comic book adaptations out there, not perfect but still very good. Comparing it to The Dark Knight? Spiderman isn't Batman, it's not going to be dark and tortured. And without it I doubt we'd have got Iron Man to start with (as good as Iron Man is).
Spiderman does have his share of problems though. He fights mobsters and drug dealers too. For another comic adaptation that I liked better than Spidey would be V for Vendetta also. When I try to watch it now I get bored and a lot of parts feel cheesy.

Avatar definitely deserves more attention. Movie so good almost mad me cry.

NorthernChaosGod
01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm kind of sad, I enjoyed the Spider-Man movies quite a bit.

All I know, is they better put some motherfucking Carnage somewhere in there soon or I will cut someone.

Bunny
01-13-2010, 12:05 AM
The only person on that list who even comes close to being capable of handling an action star role is Shia Labeouf (and the success of that is very minimal). Pattison, Radcliffe and Efron are all absolutely terrible choices if you are trying to be serious about the revitalization a serious franchise. The article is absolutely terrible (surprise surprise, coming from that source) since it focuses specifically on the act of making money through placing big named "teenage" actors into further spotlight. A movie's ability to make money is important so far as not being a complete bust but completely hurts any chance of successfully revitalizing something like Spider-Man. It'd piss off the core audience which is who Sony should be appealing too, not teenage girls who have never picked up a comic book in their lives.

I don't really care about the films (or the character itself) but this sort of Hollywood thing angers me and is the reason most of the films out now are absolute drivel. I know that list isn't official but it's ignorant nonetheless.

McLovin'
01-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Jake Sulley for Spiderman! aka Sam Worthington.

ANGRYWOLF
01-13-2010, 12:26 AM
well said.

If they select some teenage beefcake to draw in young women it will piss off the core audience and the film will be an absolute bomb.

I almost wish they would be stupid enough to do it.It would be worth more than a few laughs.

:D

NorthernChaosGod
01-13-2010, 01:35 AM
I would be pissed if they did that, I'd have to wait at least 10 years for a good reboot then and God knows how many films after to see some Carnage action.

I WANT TO SEE CARNAGE MOP THE FLOOR WITH SPIDER-MAN.

Is that too much to ask for?

krissy
01-13-2010, 02:19 AM
i should play peter parker ffs

this is the chance i've been waiting for

see you on the big screen, forum members

i'm heading for hollywood

Ouch!
01-13-2010, 02:20 AM
Hahaha

Actually I heard that if Lucas ever decided to make another SW that he would make it about a young Yoda during... the Sith War I think. Something like that.
I didn't think Yoda was quite old enough to be around during the Sith Wars.

G13
01-13-2010, 03:52 AM
I would be pissed if they did that, I'd have to wait at least 10 years for a good reboot then and God knows how many films after to see some Carnage action.

Of course not. I think deep down, we all want a little Carnage action. I'll be pulling for Carnage, but I'm not confident it's gonna happen. I think that'd mess with the chronology.

Hahaha

I didn't think Yoda was quite old enough to be around during the Sith Wars.

I said I think. I can't remember the exact war. I know it's not the Stark Hyperspace as that's not long enough ago. I'll try and find the source later and usernote it to you if you're interested.

Vyk
01-13-2010, 04:37 AM
Maybe they'll focus more on the characters and the action and less on the drama. It got so thick by the third movie it was giving me a headache. I haven't seen any of those movies in years and I think a couple of them I've only seen once. More than enough for me. Sitting through the train wrecks were enough, don't need to do it again

black orb
01-13-2010, 06:18 AM
>>> Lol, so true..:luca:

Shattered Dreamer
01-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Toby Maguire not playing my favorite super hero anymore makes me very happy to be honest! The Spiderman Trilogy was watchable but given how awesome the Spiderman character & story is all 3 films were a failure (well not if you talk box office money I suppose).

This reboot idea of Spiderman juggling being a teenager & a super hero sounds pretty crappy to me! I mean it worked for Superman in Smallville because fans knew very little of Superman teenage years so Smallville was pretty much a blank canvas. Spiderman on the other hand I feel exploring this angle may well be disastrous.

As regards who gets to play the next Spiderman? I honestly couldn't think of anyone. If they go with Robert Pattinson or Zach Efron the film will be an utter epic fail because come on neither of them can act! They can stand there look pretty make all the teenage girls faint but come on doing that to Spiderman is beyond wrong!

But if we are ever gonna see a Maximum Carnage storyline we need a reboot I mean they killed Venom at the end of Spiderman meaning the symbiotic black goo never gets to be blasted into space to create Carnage.

charliepanayi
01-13-2010, 03:55 PM
It won't happen but personally I hope they do cast someone like Zac Efron to play Spiderman, if only because watching fanboys and assorted others online explode with rage would be hilarious.

Depression Moon
01-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Don't 90% of the time whenever they are rumors this early about acting roles in a movie they don't even come close?

I remember reading a magazine a good many years back that was claiming that Sandra Bullock was going to star in Tomb Raider.

G13
01-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Now that would have been funny.

Del Murder
01-14-2010, 12:06 AM
I'll go see the new one. I love Spider-man. I thought the first two films were good enough, but the third one sucked balls. I'm glad to see Tobey out of there, he was pretty bad. Topher Grace should have been in it from the beginning.

I think they should cast an unknown as Peter this time. I don't think any teen hunk can be a good Spiderman. He needs to be nerdy but with a sarcastic side.

NorthernChaosGod
01-14-2010, 12:11 AM

Of course not. I think deep down, we all want a little Carnage action. I'll be pulling for Carnage, but I'm not confident it's gonna happen. I think that'd mess with the chronology.
I don't mean in this next one exactly, that would be amazing, but soon. I've been wanting to see him more than any other Spidey villain since the first one. I do not like waiting.

Rad Bromance
01-14-2010, 12:45 AM
Ang Lee's Hulk came out in 2003, but it was such a commercial failure that they rebooted the franchise in 2008.

Lesson: in Hollywood, it's never too soon.
Yeah, that was absolutely ridiculous.

G13
01-14-2010, 12:56 AM

I don't mean in this next one exactly, that would be amazing, but soon. I've been wanting to see him more than any other Spidey villain since the first one. I do not like waiting.

Indeed. I was hoping for Venom and Carnage together but now it looks like that's not gonna happen.

I don't like waiting either but unfortunately waiting is all we can do.

Shiny
01-15-2010, 12:01 AM
The only person on that list who even comes close to being capable of handling an action star role is Shia Labeouf (and the success of that is very minimal). Pattison, Radcliffe and Efron are all absolutely terrible choices if you are trying to be serious about the revitalization a serious franchise.
Yeah, Shia is the best choice. He's boyish looking and can handle an action role as you said. The others are just flat out horrible choices for this sort of thing (or for anything really).

AntRid
01-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Liam Neeson seems to be on a roll with action movies. I think he can pull off a teenage superhero right?

I’m more interested in who the director will be. Any news on that front?

Slothy
01-15-2010, 12:52 AM

I could do without ever seeing Carnage in a movie. There are few villains as shallow as uninteresting as he is. He was created for no reason other than to make a symbiote clad villain worse than Venom so they could destroy Venom at the same time by making him an anti-hero. He's definitely a low point of the Spidey rogues gallery and I don't understand the appeal he seems to have.

The movies are better off with him never showing up, just as the comics were much better off with the Sentry ripping him in half (until someone retcons it anyway).

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2010, 11:46 AM
GTFO. :mad2:

Slothy
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
If you don't agree with me then tell me just how I'm wrong. I'd love to like Carnage to be honest because I like his visual design, but I haven't been able to get behind him since I was about nine years old and realized that a psychopath who does nothing but revel in killing as many people as possible everytime he escapes isn't that interesting after one appearance.

I'll at least grant you that if someone could come up with some interesting back story for him and make him less one dimensional for a film I could probably like it if it's done well enough. But then we're not really watching Carnage.

NorthernChaosGod
01-17-2010, 05:38 AM
...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Slothy
01-17-2010, 01:12 PM
...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Yes the Joker was also a psychopath who liked to kill and maim for fun. Difference between him and Carnage is that he was practically a genius who was always three steps ahead of everyone, and his desire for chaos makes him the perfect foil for Batman. Much of what makes him interesting is how he plays off of Batman. There's also the fact that despite his clownish appearance and tendency to seem like more of a joke than a threat he's actually one of the most dangerous characters in the DC Universe.

Carnage on the other hand has not only never had any depth, Spider-Man isn't a more interesting character for having him as a villain. The characters don't play off of eachother even remotely as well as Batman and the Joker, and Carnage has never been able to get to Spider-Man in the way Joker can Batman. And to be perfectly honest, even if he could he never would. He's a one trick pony. He goes on a bloody rampage through New York, Spider-Man stops him, probably with a little help, Carnage goes to prison only to escape eventually and go on a bloody rampage through New York. Lather rinse and repeat.

Comparing Carnage to the Joker is an utter joke, no pun intended.

charliepanayi
01-17-2010, 01:47 PM

I wouldn't say film studio executives are THAT bad :D

NorthernChaosGod
01-18-2010, 12:53 AM

Yes the Joker was also a psychopath who liked to kill and maim for fun. Difference between him and Carnage is that he was practically a genius who was always three steps ahead of everyone, and his desire for chaos makes him the perfect foil for Batman. Much of what makes him interesting is how he plays off of Batman. There's also the fact that despite his clownish appearance and tendency to seem like more of a joke than a threat he's actually one of the most dangerous characters in the DC Universe.

Carnage on the other hand has not only never had any depth, Spider-Man isn't a more interesting character for having him as a villain. The characters don't play off of eachother even remotely as well as Batman and the Joker, and Carnage has never been able to get to Spider-Man in the way Joker can Batman. And to be perfectly honest, even if he could he never would. He's a one trick pony. He goes on a bloody rampage through New York, Spider-Man stops him, probably with a little help, Carnage goes to prison only to escape eventually and go on a bloody rampage through New York. Lather rinse and repeat.

Comparing Carnage to the Joker is an utter joke, no pun intended.

I wasn't actually comparing him to the Joker, considering that line is actually about the man Alfred was after in the jungle.

Slothy
01-18-2010, 03:16 AM
I wasn't actually comparing him to the Joker, considering that line is actually about the man Alfred was after in the jungle.

He was also using it to help explain the Joker's motivation, and quoting the line by itself heavily implied to me that you were saying the Joker is essentially no different from Carnage in motivation and characterization. I apologize for misinterpreting your post if that's not the case.

NorthernChaosGod
01-18-2010, 11:57 PM
I was using it in the general sense more than anything, everyone has a damn motivation and Carnage is just pure fun to watch without worrying about why he wants to do it.

Breine
01-19-2010, 05:36 PM
There are rumours flying around that Toby is going to play Bilbo in the upcoming Hobbit movies, which is like "wtf no!!"

- he ain't right for Bilbo!

Unbreakable Will
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, he is new. Maybe we should give him a break.

I thought 3 had a nice balance with the villains. Harry has to have a shot at revenge, Sandman poses a problem but is basically to keep Spidey in business while the symbiote does it's work, and then more revenge when Eddie becomes Venom. It is a bit much but at least it wasn't "Hey! Look at this!" in your face in the first five minutes.

I thought most of the story was a bit too drawn out but what do I know about making movies?
No mercy, Star Wars was insulted. :colbert: no...this deserves :doublecolbert:

I Took the Red Pill
01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Liam Neeson seems to be on a roll with action movies. I think he can pull off a teenage superhero right?oh my god picturing liam neeson walking through the halls of a high school trying to act like a student

i really want this to happen

Slothy
01-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I was using it in the general sense more than anything, everyone has a damn motivation and Carnage is just pure fun to watch without worrying about why he wants to do it.

Fair enough I suppose, but I just can't get into Carnage because he's so shallow and doesn't play off the other characters very well. You might enjoy just watching him do what he does, but without any deeper connection to Spider-Man, any story featuring him that I've seen has been pretty boring. Which is a large part of the reason I don't want to ever see him in a future movie. If you're going to have a villain, it should be one that actually develops Spider-Man as a character since the movies are about him.