PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Seven: the lucky number seven

SuperMillionaire
01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Since seven is considered to be a lucky number, it seems fitting that Final Fantasy Seven is immensely popular, isn't it? Not to mention the fact that if anyone in your party's HP reaches to 7777, they will go berserk and strike the opponent a number of times at a damage rate of 7777, which is called the Lucky 7s. Personally, I think they should have made it a seven-figure number: 7777777. Get it?

Saber
01-13-2010, 09:52 PM
seven million, seven hundred and seventy-seven thousand, seven hundred and seventy-seven? Thats a lot of damage.

Bolivar
01-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Yeah it's pretty fitting, and I liked how they kept weaving the number seven throughout the length of the story. One of those moments when the planets just align, I guess.

leader of mortals
01-13-2010, 11:50 PM
No

Emerald Weapon has 1 million hp.

Having 7 7s is pretty overkill on the 7s. Just because there are so many sevens in the game doesn't mean it needs more.

SuperMillionaire
01-14-2010, 06:47 PM
seven million, seven hundred and seventy-seven thousand, seven hundred and seventy-seven? Thats a lot of damage.
Yes, you'll kill almost all enemies in just one single swipe.

Yeah it's pretty fitting, and I liked how they kept weaving the number seven throughout the length of the story. One of those moments when the planets just align, I guess.

Yes, indeed, and that's why unlike the previous two FFs released in the USA (they renamed IV to II and VI to III, skipping II, III, and V), Final Fantasy Seven kept the same number in the west as it did in the east.

leader of mortals
01-14-2010, 08:14 PM
No monster has 7 million hp.

And wasn't the reason they kept the title as 7 because they were finally planning on bringing the other FF's to America? I may be wrong, but the dates sort of add up.

MJN SEIFER
01-14-2010, 10:28 PM
There are many "7"s in FFVII, I did a thread on this a while ago. Certain things took "Seven Days" to happen, and the are seven characters in your team, if Vincent and Yuffie aren't included (they are optional), there is also a pub called Seventh Heaven and it is in sector Seven, also most characters have Seven Limits (3x2+1).

I think they called FFVII FFVII, because they realized how stupid it sounds, and most people had already begun calling each FF what it was originally called (i.e. FFIV was FFIV, not FFII) - at least at my school they did.

SuperMillionaire
01-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Indeed. MJN. However, LOM, Two, Three, and Five were only released here AFTER Seven.

Darth Cid
01-17-2010, 05:55 AM
7777777? That only means one thing.

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAND!!!

Saber
01-17-2010, 06:50 AM
7777777? That only means one thing.

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAND!!!

Yeah by 7767778

SuperMillionaire
01-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Become one with the seven, everybody.

Since there are so many sevens in the game, it would seem fitting that the game retained its original number for the international release.

Darth Cid
01-18-2010, 09:19 PM
No, I shall be a FFIX fan, which means 999999999, which even more over 9000 than 7777777.

Okay, now I've confused myself, what was the question?

leader of mortals
01-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Hold on, what is the topic of this thread? Whether or not Lucky 7s should kill every enemy in the game?

Indeed. MJN. However, LOM, Two, Three, and Five were only released here AFTER Seven.

That's why I said "planning". Localization is not instantaneous.

Darth Cid
01-19-2010, 02:43 PM
So if it were to have been titled Final Fantasy IV and we never got the other games, in the U.S. this would be 4444, and would be . . . under 9000.

SuperMillionaire
01-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Hold on, what is the topic of this thread? Whether or not Lucky 7s should kill every enemy in the game?

That's why I said "planning". Localization is not instantaneous.

I know what you meant; Final Fantasy Seven retained its original number for the international releases, and after that, they planned to release Two, Three, and Five here, and also re-release Four and Six under their original titles.

Rad Bromance
01-20-2010, 12:23 AM
No, thank you. FFX's 99999 is ridiculous enough.

That being said, I actually haven't ever gotten all lucky 7s in the numerous times I've played FFVII over and over and over over the last twelve years. I don't think I've ever even seen what happens when you do.

SuperMillionaire
01-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Just how many lucky 7s are there?

Karifean
01-21-2010, 07:14 PM
You're probably misunderstanding, there is an attack called "All Lucky 7s", and not several lucky sevens to find throughout the game. That's what we mean by 'getting all lucky sevens'.

All Lucky 7s is an attack with a total/maximum of 64 hits each battle. But Lucky 7s is only executable when an ally reaches exactly 7777 HP.

An additional feature is, if any character (no matter if enemy or ally) has exactly 7777 HP during the battle, all his hits will deal 7777 damage, no matter what. That's why All Lucky 7s always deals 7777 each hit. Ever tried poisoning a character while he has 7777 HP? ;)

Saber
01-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Are we talking about 1 hit for 7,777,777 damage or 64 hits of 7,777,777 damage? I'm a bit confused.

:confused:

Mercen-X
01-22-2010, 05:45 PM
seven million, seven hundred seventy-seven thousand, seven hundred seventy-seven? Thats a lot of damage.
It was a 7 figure number originally. However, it was read as Seven Thousand, Seven Hundred, Seventy-Seven and Seven Hundred Seventy-Sevenths. Or is Numerical terms: 7777.777... the problem being that this many numbers cannot be displayed on screen, so they dropped the numbers after the decimal. Naturally, rounding up would ruin the effect by making the number 7778, so they instead rounded down.

Hey, does anyone recall a video in which an upgraded CG version of Cloud, Vincent, and (I think) Tifa attack Diamond Weapon and Cloud stole the spotlight with the Omnislash V5 (the other two walked away.) I can't find the video anywhere.

SuperMillionaire
01-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Oh, so it was originally supposed to be a decimal instead of a whole number?

Jiro
01-23-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't know why they would bother using a decimal and then truncating it. Seems... pointless to even consider. I'm sure there's more instances of 7s showing up, some of them probably accidental.

Kyros
01-24-2010, 04:34 AM
Lucky 7's in FFVII would be a hinderance imo seeing as how once you are able to get your hp up that high you should be hitting for harder than that, which would make your dmg go down =/

SuperMillionaire
01-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Yes, after the attack, your HP drops to a single point.

Kyros
01-24-2010, 05:47 AM
O.o if thats a joke I'm pretty sure you misread my post. If it's not a joke and in fact true then why would you attack?

Karifean
01-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Yes, after the attack, your HP drops to a single point.

Correction: If you exit a battle in any way while one of your characters has 7777 HP, his HP will drop to 1, so you can't have constant All Lucky 7s.

Edit: @Kyros
Lucky 7s can be useful, like when using Highwind or Ungarmax or some low-dmg limit breaks, as they do 7777 damage as well. And then, of course, there's the "All Lucky 7s!" attack...

Skyblade
01-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Lucky 7's in FFVII would be a hinderance imo seeing as how once you are able to get your hp up that high you should be hitting for harder than that, which would make your dmg go down =/

Actually, with HP+ Materia, getting 7777 doesn't take that long, and it will be long before you can deal that much naturally. Further, the 7777 applies to every attack. If you have a Magic-All combination, like Ice+All, you can attack all enemies with an Ice spell (even Ice 1), and do 7777 damage to all of them. Since doing that much to all of them without the buff using Ice 3 is basically impossible, doing it with a cheaper MP cost is even better. Hell, Matra Magic with its dirt cheap MP cost will have the same effect.

Further, doing over 7777 damage isn't as easy as it seems. Until you start stat maxing and getting your ultimate weapons, yeah, you'll be hitting for that much consistently. Until then, though, it'll only happen on crits. Guaranteed constant damage is not bad at all, especially since when you first get the Lucky 7s in a battle, your character goes berserk and attacks every enemy over and over automatically for 7777 damage (which kills most enemies before anything else can happen).

SuperMillionaire
01-27-2010, 07:38 PM
So basically, the odds of dealing 7777 damage are about 1 out of 7?