PDA

View Full Version : Monster-in-a-box

jammi567
01-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Ignoring gameplay mechanics here, how do these powerful monsters manage to get stuck in a treasure chest. For that matter, how do they fit in them in the first place?

VeloZer0
01-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Obvious answer is that they lie there in wait for helpless treasure hunter victims.

It could also be:

- They are placed in there by whoever put the item as a test

- Someone trapped them in there to save themselves.

- Monsters need some place to sleep. Running arround looting treasure chests is just like running into peoples homes and jacking their items. Of course they would be upset when you open it up waking them up in your attempted robbery.

And we all know inventory space is magical, so a treasure chest would assumedly have the same magical storage properties.

Pete for President
01-15-2010, 10:12 PM
And we all know inventory space is magical, so a treasure chest would assumedly have the same magical storage properties.

I actually think this is a very valid argument.

Perhaps the monsters actually have a sense of humour and like to give people a little scare. Of course, human reaction would be to whack them with a sword of some kind.

Mirage
01-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Or it could just be that monsters are hiding near the treasure chest to attack people who try to open them.

Vermachtnis
01-16-2010, 12:24 AM
I always think they are hiding in there for a surprise party for one of there friends. But there friend won't show up cause the adventurers already killed it. And when they jump out expecting cake, they get a sword to the face. Adventurers can be so cruel sometimes.

AntRid
01-16-2010, 01:04 AM
They skipped protection payment and the mafia locked them in there. You also find a lot of monsters with concrete shoes at the bottom of the ocean.

VeloZer0
01-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Monsters are getting a lot of sympathy for being in chests and getting attacked, but I can definitely remember opening a chest many a time in FFIV and having some monster come out an start kicking my ass. I may have unwittingly intruded on it's domain, but it most certainly had some aggression issues it had to work out.

qwertysaur
01-19-2010, 03:06 AM
They were playing hide and go seek with the monsters that are in the random battles.

Raistlin
01-19-2010, 04:45 AM
You wonder about the monsters, yet you don't wonder how all those treasures seem to be littered around randomly in forests and dungeons?

jammi567
01-19-2010, 09:28 AM
You wonder about the monsters, yet you don't wonder how all those treasures seem to be littered around randomly in forests and dungeons?

Point taken, especially inside Sin and the Levithian.

Skyblade
01-19-2010, 12:30 PM

Point taken, especially inside Sin and the Levithian.

Even Sin and Leviathan get hungry. Treasure Chests contain all the nutrients a growing dungeon-sized monstrosity needs for a balanced breakfast.

Roogle
01-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Obviously, some monsters make more sense than others. A Mimic might actually be the treasure chest you thought you were opening and a monster attack is imminent; otherwise, a monster may simply live near the area surrounding the chest and is fighting to defend its territory. If the monster is humanoid, it may be trying to claim the treasure for itself at the same time as you.

I hope that these types of gameplay mechanics would be more fully realized and explained in later games.

Kyros
01-24-2010, 04:55 AM
Normally aren't the mimics the actual chest and not a monster inside of it? It's not their fault the big legendary heroes can't tell them apart from actual treasure.

Roogle
01-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Yes. In other games, Mimics are often portrayed as fierce enemies that give high experience points, currency, or a good item when defeated. Personally, I fail to see how a jumping box with teeth could be so powerful or have something so great inside. Why does it look like a treasure chest, anyway? The answer lies in this article on Mimics from Dungeons & Dragons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimic_%28Dungeons_&_Dragons%29).

qwertysaur
01-30-2010, 08:19 PM
In XII the mimics look like the chests :p