PDA

View Full Version : Writers Guild Best Video Game Writing Awards

AntRid
01-15-2010, 04:45 AM
The Writers Guild of America have nominated 5 games of 09 to receive the Best writing award.
They are:
Assassin's Creed II
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Wet
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Seriously? MW2? My sofa had a better plot then this game!

Anyway what would be your pick as the best writing in a game?

G13
01-15-2010, 05:49 AM
AC2's plot was awesome! Arkham Asylum's plot was great too.

Madame Adequate
01-15-2010, 08:32 AM
You've got a hell of a sofa.

AntRid
01-15-2010, 10:34 AM
You've got a hell of a sofa.
Damn right! And I can sit on it without it trying to shoot me. Something else MW2 doesn’t do!

Dreddz
01-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Uncharted 2 should and will win the award.

krissy
01-15-2010, 07:49 PM
cave story

Bolivar
01-15-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm gonna say this is just a tad bit crazy. First off, WET? Really? Wolverine may be a step up, but I find it a pretty hard choice as well.

Plus MW2 I have to agree with the OP. The plot is largely nonexistent, there's no resolution, I mean it fails a lot of standards 6th graders have when they learn about writing. I'm assuming this is an institutionalized thing with a lot of ass kissing and nepotism.

But I would hope Uncharted 2 wins.

Quindiana Jones
01-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I disagree with all of those being there. Except Uncharted 2, but that's because I haven't played it and don't know the plot.

Madame Adequate
01-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Apparently I have hallucinated a plot. :confused:

Rase
01-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Well the writers have to actually be members of the WGA, so that probably affects the nominees a tad.

I'd say Uncharted 2, because it's hardly a contest. Assassin's Creed II may be close, but I've yet to play it.

Jessweeee♪
01-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Assassin's Creed II was pretty cool. Jesus Aliens!

Raistlin
01-15-2010, 11:59 PM
cave story

Yes.

I have to wonder how some of these games were even nominated in the first place.

Slothy
01-16-2010, 12:31 AM
I have to wonder how some of these games were even nominated in the first place.

Well the writers have to actually be members of the WGA, so that probably affects the nominees a tad.

But seriously, even given that I fail to see the logic of nominating games that are blatantly terrible. I mean why even keep up the illusion that there are other contenders when there aren't? Sure it might make some think the award is a joke, or it could signal to others that the industry needs to step up it's game.

Anyway, Uncharted 2 should win this, though admittedly I have yet to play AC2 or MW2.

Depression Moon
01-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Some of them get on there because there are only a few games per year that have a good story. Dreddz is right. It's going to be Uncharted 2.

AntRid
01-16-2010, 12:59 AM
I thought Dragons Age would have been a contender at least but since everyone is raving about Uncharded 2, and it’s the best game on there, I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t win.

Bolivar
01-16-2010, 07:01 AM

If you're referring to MW2 it's pretty obviously a collection of scenarios strung together by voice-overs on a loading screen.

Why did Shephard do what he did?

McLovin'
01-16-2010, 05:57 PM
I thought Dragons Age would have been a contender at least but since everyone is raving about Uncharded 2, and it’s the best game on there, I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t win.

Dragon Age definitely had fantastic writing, just not a fantastic story. The story is pretty simple and not all that original.

shilpaworld01
01-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Wow! it's really pretty cool awesome. i feel happy to this

Madame Adequate
01-28-2010, 11:24 AM

If you're referring to MW2 it's pretty obviously a collection of scenarios strung together by voice-overs on a loading screen.

Why did Shephard do what he did?

Because he was pissed at the world for ignoring the tens of thousands of American dead in the invasion, not doing anything about the Russians, whose nuke it was, and who had since come to be ruled by the Ultranationalists. He wanted a war partly to get revenge on Russia for this. That's why he betrayed Allen to Makarov; the US would be blamed for the attack on Zakhaev Intl. and given the Russian mindset, a serious response was plausible. As for killing Ghost and Roach, the evidence they gathered from Makarov's retreat would almost certainly make it clear that Shepard had tipped him off. Why would Shepard and Makarov work together? Because whilst they hate each other's countries, they also both want what the other wants - a war. They want different outcomes, but in starting it there's little conflict.

More broadly, he clearly states in-game: The US is weak and needs to become far more militant to avoid another 30,000 dead soldiers in a nuclear explosion. "Tomorrow there will be no shortage of patriots, no shortage of volunteers." Aside from the 30,000 dead, remember that the US will have lost probably many $billions in equipment etc. After 'Nam the US decided "Nah, don't fancy that much". After losing tens of thousands of soldiers and billions in gear in one day, I wager there would be a huge sentiment that the US should retreat behind her borders and ignore the rest of the world. Popular and Congressional support for replenishing the military would be very low. There would need to be a threat, a major one, one to the US directly, to encourage the US to rearm in a manner Shepard desired.

And all that, of course, ties in neatly with the success of the Russians in their invasion attempt. At first glance I thought that was pretty stupid and implausible, and it still is somewhat, but given that A) they achieved total surprise and B) the US was so weakened after the nuke, chances are there's been a big reduction in funding for, well, damn near everything. Five years is plenty of time for government to either react or be elected in a different form, institute new policies, and have those filter into practice.

However, there is one area which is stupendously stupid. As soon as D.C. gets EMP'd, the US should have responded in kind. There are plenty of contingencies for ensuring the ability remains even if the govt. is decapitated or out of contact. When the missile was in flight it was enough to warrant a full-scale, continent-flattening response.

AntRid
01-28-2010, 11:42 PM
The fact you have to explain the plot means it fails in basic story telling. When he was giving his final speech I was thinking, what 30,000 people? What do you mean by no shortage of volunteers? Another America Army game going up what?

What it sounds like he only turned after the invasion of the US? I always thought he was corrupt to begin with and purposely sent Allen for the purpose of being killed? And what’s with the nuke killing 30,000 citizens? The only nukes I recall are the one in the first game in the middle of nowhere and the one Price detonated over Washington to cause a blackout. Or did this happen in the 5 year gap between titles?

Markus. D
01-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Wet... really?